01 February 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iran's Navy owns epic records after Islamic Revolution, commander says IRNA 01 Feb 2020 -- Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said on Saturday that the force has had epic records during the four decades after the Islamic Revolution.
- Iranian Army ground forces among top world military powers IRNA 01 Feb 2020 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heidari said on Saturday that the Iranian ground forces are among top world powers in terms of logistics and military might.
- Mahmoud Abbas Says Palestinian National Authority Severing All Ties With Washington Including Security Sputnik 01 Feb 2020 -- The Palestinian Authority warned in the past that it would not accept the "deal of the century", unveiled by President Donald Trump on 28 January, citing perceived US bias in favour of the Jewish state.
- Arab States Pledge Palestinian Support, Take No Action Against Trump Peace Plan VOA 01 Feb 2020 -- Arab foreign ministers pledged support Saturday for the Palestinian cause at an extraordinary summit in Cairo, criticizing the Trump administration's peace plan but taking no concrete action to oppose it.
- Palestinian Authority cuts all ties with US, Israel over 'deal of century' Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The Palestinian Authority stops recognizing whatever ties with the United States and Israel after the US announced the long-awaited outline of a controversial pro-Tel Aviv scheme, which Washington claims seeks to resolve the age-old Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
- Carter: Trump plan works against 'peace', breaches international law Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- Former US president Jimmy Carter says the country's current President Donald Trump's self-styled initiative for resolution of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict serves instead to compromise any prospect of "peace" and violates international law.
- Houthis say targeted Saudi airports, Aramco in retaliation for Riyadh air strikes Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces says they targeted airports in southern Saudi Arabia and facilities belonging to Aramco oil giant over the past week in reprisal for the Riyadh regime's air raids on the impoverished country.
- UN chief 'deeply concerned' by military escalation in northwest Syria UN News 01 Feb 2020 -- The UN Secretary-General has called for an immediate cessation of hostilities in northwest Syria.
- Syria liberates two villages in Idlib eastern countryside Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army has retaken control of two villages in the eastern countryside of the northwestern Idlib Province as part of an operation to liberate the last major terrorist-held territory in the Arab country.
- Turkey may launch Syria offensive if Idlib attacks continue: Erdogan Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey may launch a military operation in Idlib if the ongoing offensive by Syrian government forces against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants continues there.
- US Senate rejects witnesses in Trump impeachment trial Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The Republican-controlled Senate has blocked witness testimonies and new evidence in the impeachment trial of US President Donald Trump, clearing the way for his acquittal.
- Former U.S. Envoy To Ukraine Yovanovitch Retires From State Department RFE/RL 01 Feb 2020 -- Former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, who played a key role in the U.S. House hearings on the impeachment of President Donald Trump last November, has retired from the State Department, according to U.S. media reports on January 31.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Redoubling Effort to Prevent Spread of Novel Coronavirus KCNA 01 Feb 2020 -- It is necessary to redouble an effort to prevent the global rapid spread of the new coronavirus in order to reliably safeguard the life of the people and the security of the state, says an editorial of Rodong Sinmun on Saturday.
- Interior Minister: Special measures taken to prevent Coronavirus IRNA 01 Feb 2020 -- Iranian Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said on Saturday that special measures have been taken to prevent Coronavirus.
- Iran To Launch Satellite In 'Coming Days,' Space Agency Head Says RFE/RL 01 Feb 2020 -- Iran has confirmed that it plans to launch a new scientific observation satellite in the "coming days," the head of the country's national space agency said in an interview with AFP.
- Britain officially leaves the European Union Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom has officially left the European Union after 47 years of membership, in a step cast by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as the dawn of new era.
- Britain formally leaves EU after 47 years of membership People's Daily 01 Feb 2020 -- my job -- is to bring this country together and take us forward," he said. "And the most important thing to say tonight is that this is not an end but a beginning."
- Britain officially leaves the European Union RFE/RL 01 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom has officially left the European Union after 47 years of membership, in a step cast by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as the dawn of new era.
- ICAO's Outrageous Practice of Blocking Twitter Users Who Reference Taiwan US Dept. of State 01 Feb 2020 -- The United States is deeply concerned about actions taken by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to suppress freedom of expression and curtail important discussion of Taiwan's legitimate role in international issues.
- Iraq's powerful cleric Sadr endorses new PM designate Allawi Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- Iraq's Shia cleric Muqtada Sadr, the most influential in the Arab country's political system, has endorsed the designation of a technocrat as prime minister, saying it is a good step after months of political turmoil.
- New Iraqi Prime Minister-designate urged to act on reforms and accountability UN News 01 Feb 2020 -- The top UN official in Iraq is calling on the country's newly designated Prime Minister to urgently deliver on reforms and demands for accountability, amid ongoing protests.
- Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi introduced as new Iraqi PM IRNA 01 Feb 2020 -- Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi was finally appointed on Saturday as the new prime minister by the Iraqi president two months after Adil Abdul Mahdi's resignation and disagreement with political groups.
- Iraqi president appoints Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi as new premier Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih has appointed Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi as the Arab country's new prime minister after political parties in the parliament failed to name a candidate in two months since former premier Adel Abdul Mahdi stepped down under pressure from anti-government protests.
- In Minsk, Pompeo Calls For 'Real Progress' In U.S.-Belarus Relations RFE/RL 01 Feb 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called for "real progress" in bilateral relations with Belarus following a meeting in Minsk with Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo And Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei US Dept. of State 01 Feb 2020
- Fighting For Scraps: Poverty-Stricken Turkmen Eating From Garbage Cans RFE/RL 01 Feb 2020 -- Some residents of Turkmenistan's capital, Ashgabat, say they have resorted to digging through refuse to look for food and other items as a devastating economic crisis tightens its grip on the hermetic Central Asian country.
- Protesters March in Lebanon to Reject New Government VOA 01 Feb 2020 -- Hundreds of Lebanese marched on Saturday through the streets of the capital and the main northern city to reject a new government named to deal with an economic crisis, which they say lacks a popular mandate.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|