05 January 2020 Military News
- Trump Threatens Iranian Cultural Sites VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- U.S President Donald Trump is threatening to hit Iranian cultural sites if Iran retaliates for last week's assassination of its top general Qassem Soleimani.
- Iran summons Swiss envoy to protest Trump's threat to target cultural sites IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Sunday summoned the Swiss envoy looking after the US interest section to convey protest to the US President Donald Trump over his threat to target Iranian cultural sites prohibited by the International Humanitarian Law governing the armed conflicts.
- Trump threat to hit 52 cultural sites an attempt to justify terror attack: Army Cmdr IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Major-General Abdurrahim Mousavi said on Sunday that it is very unlikely that the US is brave enough to attack Iran, and that the threat to attack 52 cultural sites in Iran is to justify their terrorist attacks.
- A Region on Edge: Mideast Officials Scramble to Anticipate Iranian Retaliation VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- No one knows where Iran may strike to avenge the killing Friday of its top general in a U.S. drone strike, but few believe Tehran won't retaliate, and it has plenty of possible targets to pick proxies in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Yemen to carry out reprisals, warn analysts.
- US, Iran Trade Threats Following Iran General's Killing VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- The leaders of the U.S. and Iran lobbed threats at each other following the death of a top Iranian general who was killed Friday in a U.S. airstrike in Iraq's capital.
- Trump warns of 'disproportionate' strike amid fears of Iran retaliation Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- US President Donald Trump says the US would strike back at Iran "perhaps in a disproportionate manner," defying pressure from Congress over his war powers amid spiraling tensions between Tehran and Washington.
- Trump Warns of US Attack Against 52 Iranian Targets If Tehran Strikes US Citizens, Assets Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Top Iranian military commander, Qasem Soleimani, was assassinated on Friday in Baghdad in a US airstrike authorized by President Donald Trump. Iran vowed revenge over the killing, while the Trump administration earlier claimed the targeted airstrike was intended to deescalate regional tensions.
- Iran's Foreign Minister Compares Trump to Ancient 'Barbarians' Over Threat to Target Cultural Sites Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Earlier, following threats by Iranian officials to exact revenge on the US for the assassination of a top Iranian military commander, the US president warned that the US has "targeted 52 Iranian sites," including the country's cultural landmarks, for destruction in the event of an Iranian attack on Americans or American assets.
- US Official Claims Iran Missile Forces Across Country Are On Heightened State of Alert - Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- On Friday, a US drone attack killed Qasem Soleimani, the head of Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) elite Quds Force in Baghdad, prompting Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to state that Tehran will take revenge for what it views to be a terrorist action by Washington.
- Democrats In Congress Not Satisfied With White House Notification Of Soleimani Attack RFE/RL 05 Jan 2020 -- The White House has sent its formal notification to Congress of the January 3 drone strike ordered by President Donald Trump that killed senior Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani, who was traveling in Iraq at the time.
- Trump Ordered Drone Hit on Soleimani Despite Intel That General Had No Plans to Target US – Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The death of the senior Iranian commander, who was killed in a US drone strike shortly after midnight on Friday morning, prompted Iranian officials to vow retaliation against US interests in the region.
- Top Pentagon Brass Stunned By Trump Decision to Assassinate IRGC Commander Soleimani - Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The assassination of the commander of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Qasem Soleimani, has prompted fears in the Middle East and across the globe that US President Donald Trump's reportedly spontaneous decision could ultimately spawn a full-scale military conflict which could affect the entire world.
- Pompeo Staunchly Defends Drone Attack on Iranian General VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday staunchly defended the drone attack that killed top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani, but refused to publicly offer any evidence supporting the American claim that he posed an imminent threat to U.S. forces and officials in the Mideast.
- US Fight Against IS 'Paused' Amid Rocket Attacks VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- The U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State forces announced Sunday it has "paused" its activities training local forces in the wake of rocket attacks in Iraq.
- US - Led Coalition Confirms Two Attacks on 4 January Near Iraqi Bases That Host American Forces Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- On Saturday, the Iraqi capital witnessed several rocket attacks, including in the residential area of Al-Jadriya and the Balad military base that houses US forces, some 50 miles north of Baghdad.
- UPDATE: U.S. Statement on Manda Bay Terrorist Attack AFRICOM 05 Jan 2020 -- During an attack by al-Shabaab, an al-Qaida group in East Africa, earlier today, one (1) U.S. service member and two (2) Department of Defense contractors were killed at a Kenya Defense Force Military Base in Manda Bay, Kenya.
- Attack at Manda Bay Airfield, Kenya AFRICOM 05 Jan 2020 -- U.S. Africa Command acknowledges there was an attack by the terrorist organization al-Shabaab at Manda Bay Airfield, Kenya, today. U.S Africa Command and Kenya Defense Forces repelled the al-Shabaab attack.
- Somalia's al-Shabaab terrorists attack base used by American, Kenyan troops Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Militants of the Somalia-based al-Shabab terrorist group have launched an attack against a military base used by US and Kenyan forces in neighboring Kenya, with conflicting accounts of the aftermath.
- One US Soldier, Two Pentagon Contractors Killed in Daesh Attack in Kenya - Command Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Earlier in the day, Kenyan Defence Forces (KDF) stated that four members of Somalia's Islamist group, Al-Shabaab, were killed on Sunday after they attacked a military base in Lamu county used by both US and Kenyan forces.
- 3 US Military Personnel Killed in Kenya Attack VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- Islamic extremists killed three U.S. military personnel Sunday when they attacked a military based used by U.S. and Kenyan forces along the border with Somalia.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pompeo: US Will Respond With Lawful Strikes Against Those Orchestrating Attacks on US Targets Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The US and Iran have been engaged in harsh rhetoric following the death of Iran's top military official Qaem Soleimani in a US airstrike on Friday.
- New weapon system completes first live mission US Air Force 05 Jan 2020 -- After four years of planning, the 752nd Operations Support Squadron has successfully completed their first live mission on the AN/TYQ-23A weapons system at Tinker Air Force Base.
- China capable of defending against deadly drone attacks: experts Global Times 05 Jan 2020 -- The US drone strike that killed top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in Iraq has raised concerns from Chinese netizens of drones being an increasingly dangerous instrument of war that could one day threaten China.
- Latest light tank, howitzer deployed in exercises in Tibet Global Times 05 Jan 2020 -- China's latest weapons including the Type 15 tank and the new 155-millimeter vehicle-mounted howitzer were deployed in Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region as the People's Liberation Army (PLA) began a first round of exercises in 2020.
- Britain appears ready to attack Iran militarily Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Even as foreign secretary, Dominc Raab, extends support to the US over the terrorist-style assassination of General Qassem Soleimani, there are credible reports of the UK adopting a military posture near Iranian territorial waters.
- British To Escort U.K. Ships Through Strait Of Hormuz As Tensions Rise RFE/RL 05 Jan 2020 -- The British defense chief says the country's navy will accompany U.K.-flagged ships through the strategic Strait of Hormuz amid raised regional tensions following the U.S. killing of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani in Iraq.
- UK Sends 50 SAS Troops to Iraq as Middle East Tensions Escalate After Soleimani's Killing Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- On Saturday, The Telegraph reported that back in 2007, then-UK Foreign Secretary David Miliband, at the very last moment, called off a Special Air Service (SAS) strike on Qasem Soleimani after he was allegedly identified as the mastermind behind a campaign against UK troops in Iraq's southern port city of Basra.
- UK navy says will escort British-flagged ships through Strait of Hormuz amid tensions Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- The UK Navy says it will accompany the British-flagged ships through the strategic Strait of Homuz, as regional tensions escalate in the wake of the US assassination of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani in Iraq.
- British Navy to Accompany UK-Flagged Vessels Through Strait of Hormuz Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The Strait of Hormuz is the critical seaborne oil export choke point between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. According to media forecasts, citing pundits, the area could become a hot zone in a possible open confrontation between Washington and Tehran, as the latter mulls its response for the assassination of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani.
- Trump Threatens Sanctions on Iraq if US Forces are Expelled VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says the United States will not leave Iraq unless it is paid back for a U.S. air base it built there.
- Iraq's PM calls for putting an end to foreign troops in Iraq IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Interim Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul Mahdi on Sunday attended a parliamentary meeting to discuss a plan to expel US troops from Iraq, stressing that the immediate withdrawal of foreign troops from Iraq or setting a timetable for implementing the move would be two options facing Iraq.
- Iraqi foreign ministry summons US envoy over 'violation of sovereignty' Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- The Iraqi foreign ministry has summoned US ambassador Matthew Tueller to condemn recent American strikes in the capital Baghdad that resulted in the assassination of Iran's top military commander, Lt. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, and the second-in-command of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
- Iraqi lawmakers approve bill to expel US forces from country Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Iraqi lawmakers have unanimously approved a bill, demanding the withdrawal of all foreign military forces led by the United States from the country following the assassination of Iran's top military commander, Lt. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, and the second-in-command of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
- Iraqi Parliament Calls For U.S. Troops To Leave The Country In Wake Of Soleimani Killing RFE/RL 05 Jan 2020 -- Iraq's parliament has passed a resolution calling for foreign troops to leave the country in the wake of a U.S. air strike that killed Iran's top military commander, Qasem Soleimani, near Baghdad last week.
- GCC Secretary General Calls for Calm and Dialogue in Iraq SPA 05 Jan 2020 -- GCC Secretary General Dr. Abdullatif bin Rashid Al-Zayani said in a statement that the GCC countries have followed with great concern the serious events and developments in the brotherly country of Iraq.
- Iraqi Parliament Votes to End Foreign Military Presence, Scrap US-Led Coalition Agreement - Reports Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The reports emerge as the US-led coalition fighting Daesh* in Iraq has said that it has suspended its fight against the terror group amid increased attacks on US personnel.
- Kuwait's Army Denies Using Its Military Bases to Attack Targets in Neighboring Country SPA 05 Jan 2020 -- The General Staff of Kuwait's Army has categorically denied reports about the usage of the country's military bases to carry out attacks against certain targets in a neighboring country.
- Netanyahu drops clanger, calls Israel 'nuclear power' Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has, in an apparent stumble, called the occupying entity a "nuclear power" before correcting himself with a bashful nod and an embarrassed smile.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Call with Qatari Deputy Prime Minister al-Thani US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Call with Indian External Affairs Minister Jaishankar US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Margaret Brennan of CBS Face the Nation US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Chuck Todd of NBC Meet the Press US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Maria Bartiromo of Fox Sunday Morning Futures US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Jake Tapper of CNN State of the Union US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With George Stephanopoulos of ABC This Week US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Chris Wallace of Fox News Sunday US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Yemeni forces hit gathering of Saudi-led mercenaries in Asir with missiles Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Yemeni forces have targeted a gathering of Saudi mercenaries in Saudi Arabia's southwestern province of Asir with domestically-manufactured missiles in retaliation for airstrikes by the kingdom, a Yemeni military source says.
- UNICEF Appeals to Syria's Warring Parties to Protect Children from Carnage in Idlib VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations Children's Fund is appealing to the warring parties in Syria to protect hundreds of thousands of children at risk of death and displacement from the carnage in and around the northwest province of Idlib.
- At Least 3 Shells Hit Baghdad's Green Zone, Adjacent Area of US Embassy in Iraq Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The shelling comes hours after Iraq's parliament voiced its support to order the withdrawal of US-led coalition troops from the country and end all foreign military presence in Iraq, including in the nation's airspace and surrounding territorial waters.
- At least 30 cadets dead in airstrike on Tripoli military school: Government Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- The Tripoli government says dozens of people have been killed and injured in an airstrike on a military academy in the Libyan capital.
- UN Libya Mission strongly condemns bombing of military academy, at least 30 dead UN News 05 Jan 2020 -- The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), on Sunday strongly condemned the bombing of a military academy in the capital Tripoli, which according to news reports left at least 30 dead and more than 30 others wounded.
- Saudi Arabia Rejects, Condemns Turkey's Latest Escalation in Libyan affairs As Violation of Security Council Resolutions SPA 05 Jan 2020 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia expressed its rejection and condemnation of Turkey's latest escalation in the Libyan issue, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
- Saudi Arabia Slams Turkish Parliament's Decision to Allow Sending Troops to Libya Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Saudi Arabia condemns the Turkish parliament's decision to authorize sending troops to Libya, saying that the move violates UN Security Council resolutions concerning Libya and curbs efforts to settle the crisis in the conflict-torn country, the state-run SPA news agency reported, citing the Saudi Foreign Ministry, on Sunday.
- Parliament in Libya's East Votes to Break Off Ties With Turkey - Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Earlier, the Turkish parliament voted to send military reinforcements to the UN-backed Government of National Accord, which is controlling the capital of Tripoli that is besieged by the Libyan National Army, led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.
- Turkish Military Contingent Deploys to Libya - Erdogan Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) commander, Khalifa Haftar, announced a "decisive battle" for Tripoli. His opponents, the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), responded by asking Turkey to provide military support, prompting Haftar to declare a general mobilization of his forces to resist what he describes as a foreign invasion.
- The United States Congratulates Interim President Juan Guaido on His Re-Election as President of the National Assembly US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2020
- Venezuelan Self-Proclaimed 'President' Guaido Ousted as National Assembly Chief - Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Earlier, the opposition leader announced his bid for reelection as speaker of the semi-defunct National Assembly legislature, as the Venezuelan political crisis he helped initiate approaches its one year anniversary.
- Maduro Backers Stage Takeover of Venezuelan Legislature VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- Pro-government legislators seized control of Venezuela's opposition-dominated legislature Sunday, moving to install a backer of President Nicolas Maduro as National Assembly president while government security forces blocked opposition lawmakers from entering the building.
- U.S. Issues Alert Warning Of Potential Iranian Cyberattacks RFE/RL 05 Jan 2020 -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has issued a National Terrorism Advisory bulletin warning of a potential cyberattack by Iran in the wake of a U.S. drone attack that killed a senior Iranian military commander.
- Pakistan Stress Neutrality, Big Rally Protests Killing of Soleimani VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- Thousands of people rallied Sunday in Pakistan's largest city of Karachi and clashed with police while trying to force their way toward the tightly guarded American consulate to denounce the killing of Iranian commander Qasim Soleimani.
- Iran: US continued military presence in Iraq shows occupation IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani hailed the law enacted by the Iraqi parliament on exit of the US forces from that country, saying that the US continued presence in Iraq amounts to occupying the country.
- Iran takes final step by abandoning JCPOA restrictions IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Iranian cabinet in a statement on Sunday announced the country's decision to take the final step to reduce commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran announces decision to take fifth step to scale back JCPOA commitments Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- The Iranian government has issued a statement announcing its decision to take the fifth and final step in reducing its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal it signed with world powers, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran Rolls Back Nuke Deal Commitments, Vows to Enrich Uranium Based On Its Tech Needs – Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- This comes amid an ongoing escalation of tensions between Iran and the US following the death of Iran's top military commander Qasem Soleimani in a US drone strike.
- Iran Rolls Back Nuclear Commitments After U.S. Kills Top General RFE/RL 05 Jan 2020 -- Iran says it will no longer abide by any of the restrictions set down in the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, amid mounting tensions with the United States.
- Iran to decide on 5th step of reducing JCPOA commitments tonight: Mousavi ISNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi announced on Sunday that an important meeting over the 5th step of reducing Iran's commitment under the 2015 nuclear deal will be held tonight and the final decision on the issue will be taken.
- Spox: Iran to decide on fifth step to reduce JCPOA commitments tonight IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi announced on Sunday that President Hassan Rouhani's cabinet will hold an important meeting tonight to decide on the fifth phase of cutting down its nuclear commitments that will determine the country's approach regarding the JCPOA.
- US soldiers, officers will go home in coffins after Soleimani assassination: Nasrallah Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- The secretary general of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah has severely condemned the assassination of Lt. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' Quds Force, and Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units' deputy commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, saying that US soldiers and officers would return home in coffins in retaliation.
- Nasrallah: Martyrdom of Lt. Gen Soleimani marks new phase in Middle East IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Lebanese Hezbollah Secretary-General Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah said on Sunday that the day of the martyrdom of Lieutenant General Qasem Soleimani marks a new phase in the Middle East history.
- US did very stupid act by assassinating General Soleimani, Hezbollah deputy chief Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Deputy secretary general of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah has censured the assassination of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), stating that the United States committed a pure folly by the targeted killing.
- Larijani: Trump commits crime equal with 1953 coup IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Parliament speaker Ali Larijani said US President Donald Trump has committed a crime equal with the 1953 coup engineered by the United States against Iranian legitimate government of Mohammad Mossadeq.
- Trump commits crime amount to 1953 Iranian coup d'état: Larijani ISNA 05 Jan 2020 -- By ordering the assassination of IRGC commander General Qassem Soleimani, US President Donald Trump committed a crime amounted to the 1953 Iranian coup d'état, Iran's Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani stressed.
- US lying about Iran's attack plans to justify assassination: Larijani Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani says US officials' claims that General Qassem Soleimani was developing plans to imminently attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and elsewhere are lies.
- Zarif: We are standing tall IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Moahammad Javad Zarif on Sunday reacted to US claims on targeting cultural sites, and said "We are standing tall."
- Senior advisor says Iran to take revenge for Gen. Soleimani's blood IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Ali Akbar Velayati, the Senior Advisor to the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution on Sunday extended his condolences by participating at the house of Lieutenant- General Martyr Qasem Soleimani where he said "Without any doubt, the blood of Gen. Soleimani will be retaliated and the Americans will be hit from the point where they cannot imagine."
- Soleimani was to deliver Tehran's reply to Saudi de-escalation letter when killed: Iraqi PM Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Iraq's Caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi has said that Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani was set to deliver Tehran's reply to an earlier Saudi message regarding de-escalation talks mediated by Baghdad when he was assassinated.
- Iraq lodges complaint to UN chief, UNSC over US assassination of Lt. Gen. Soleimani, Muhandis Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Iraq says it has lodged a formal complaint to the UN chief and the UN Security Council (UNSC) over the US assassination of Iran's top military commander, Lt. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, and the second-in-command of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
- Washington always disrespects its political, legal, moral commitments: Rouhani Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says Washington's aggressiveness has always been there through violating the rights of nations by keeping away from commitment to any of its political, legal and moral obligations.
- Deputy Foreign Minister Araqchi: Trump's hostile remarks clearly amount to war crime Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araqchi says "hostile" remarks made by Donald Trump, the president of the United States, clearly amount to war crime according to international law.
- Soleimani assassination marks end of US presence in region: IRGC Commander IRNA 05 Jan 2020 -- Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) Commander Major General Hossein Salami on Saturday described Lieutenant General Qasem Soleimani as architect of US strategic defeats over the past decades, saying that his assassination marks the end of the US presence in the region.
- Iran will hit US 'military sites' in response to assassination of Lt. Gen. Soleimani Press TV 05 Jan 2020 -- A top Iranian military commander says the Islamic Republic's response to US assassination of Iran's top military commander, Lt. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, and the second-in-command of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, will only be 'against military sites'.
- IRGC Commander Vows Tehran's Response to Soleimani Assassination Will End US Presence in Region Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The Middle East, considered one of the most unstable regions in the world, was further plunged into an escalation of tensions following the killing of Qasem Soleimani, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) commander, early on Friday in a targeted airstrike ordered by US President Donald Trump.
- Supreme Leader Khamenei's Adviser Says Iran Will Target US 'Military Sites' - Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The world waits in anticipation after Iran pledged to respond with a "vengeance" to the killing of top ranking General Qasem Soleimani in a US airstrike on Friday. The killing came after the US claimed that the Iranian commander was going to put US lives at risk in a series of planned attacks.
- Short-Term Support? Soleimani's Killing Gives Iran A Chance To Rally People, Show Some Unity RFE/RL 05 Jan 2020 -- The killing of Qasem Soleimani, Iran's most powerful and iconic military commander who headed the elite Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), is a major blow to the Islamic republic on many levels.
- Senior HKSAR official says stopping violence crucial to economic recovery Global Times 05 Jan 2020 -- A senior official of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Saturday that stopping violence and restoring order are crucial to the recovery of Hong Kong economy.
- Latest set of rumors about Xinjiang refuted Global Times 05 Jan 2020 -- Some foreign "celebrities" who may have never been to Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region seem to be blinded by fake news and affected by unfounded charges in their judgment, a senior official from Xinjiang said at a press conference while refuting some latest rumors spread on overseas social media.
- Iraqi Shiite Cleric Sadr Calls for International 'Resistance Legions' as MPs Vote to Oust US Troops Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The Iraqi parliament on Sunday urged the government, which had already approved the plan, to expel US-led coalition forces from the country, outraged by a US strike that killed a top Iranian commander and Iraqi militants on Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|