15 September 2019 Military News
- Senior Taliban Commander Killed in Airstrike in Northern Afghanistan - Defence Ministry Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- The Taliban designated governor for the northern Afghan province of Samangan was killed in an airstrike on Sunday, the Afghan Defense Ministry said.
- US, Afghan forces say killed Taliban governors, fighters Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Afghan troops backed by US forces have killed two senior Taliban leaders and over three dozen fighters of the militant group in joint airstrikes conducted in northern and western regions of the war-ravaged country.
- Taliban Restores Security Guarantees To Red Cross In Afghanistan RFE/RL 15 Sep 2019 -- The Afghan Taliban on September 15 revoked their ban on the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and restored its guarantee for the security of ICRC staff doing humanitarian work in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US warship loitered a month in Red Sea during its embassy move to al-Quds: Report Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- US Marine forces were placed on high alert to engage in rapid military response in anticipation of major violence stemming from Washington's controversial bid to move its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem (al-Quds), according to a newly-revealed Pentagon document.
- US Destroyer Parks in Lebanon as 'Security Reminder' Amid Israeli-Hezbollah Tensions Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- The US guided missile destroyer USS Ramage has docked at the Lebanese capital, becoming the first US warship to do so since 1984.
- U.S. builds bonds in Papua New Guinea during Pacific Angel 19-4 US Air Force 15 Sep 2019 -- The United States conducted health service outreach, engineering civic action programs and subject matter exchanges Sept. 9 to Sept. 13, in Lae, Marabe Province, Papua New Guinea, as part of exercise Pacific Angel 19-4.
- Chaos Soldiers shake the ground with howitzers Army News 15 Sep 2019 -- "Quadrant four six seven point nine, breech load," chanted howitzer cannon crew members from Chaos Battery, 4th Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade. "Fire! Breech open. Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go, hurry up fellas. Last round, last round, last round!"
- P-8A Poseidon Finds Missing Vessel in South Pacific; All Passengers Safe NNS 15 Sep 2019 -- A US Navy P-8A Poseidon aircraft from Patrol Squadron (VP) 5, the "Mad Foxes," located a vessel Sep. 14 that had been missing nearly a week.
- World's first floating nuclear power plant arrives in Russian port Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- The world's first floating nuclear plant made by Russia has arrived at its permanent base in the northeasterly region of the country as melting ice from global warming opens way for rivalry over the Arctic's untapped mineral resources.
- Russian Navy Shadowing US Yuma Vessel Sailing in Black Sea Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, the Bosphorus Observer, which tracks ships passing through the strait between Europe and Asia, reported that the US naval ship USNS Yuma had entered the Black Sea.
- Delivery of second S-400 battery to Turkey completed, defense ministry says Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Turkey's Defense Ministry says the delivery of the second battery of the advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems has been completed, and that the systems would become operational in April 2020.
- Turkey Says Delivery Complete Of Second S-400 Unit From Russia RFE/RL 15 Sep 2019 -- Turkey has announced that it has accepted delivery of all the components of the second battery of the advanced S-400 air-defense system that Ankara has purchased from Moscow.
- Russian Defence Ministry Releases New Video of S-400 Weapon Systems Being Shipped to Turkey Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- A statement accompanying the video said the surface-to-air missile launchers are being delivered to Turkey "in accordance with the terms of the contract concluded with the Turkish side and within the terms agreed by the parties".
- Russia Completes Second Stage of S-400 Missile System Components Delivery Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- The first stage of the supply of S-400 parts to Turkey was completed at the end of July. The deliveries took a total of 30 special flights.
- Moscow, New Delhi Discuss Production of S-400 Air Defence System in India - Rostec CEO Sputnik 16 Sep 2019 -- Russia and India have signed a contract on the delivery of S-400 missile systems to New Delhi worth over $5 billion.
- US bases in region, warships within reach of Iranian missiles: IRGC cmdr. Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- A top commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the US military bases in the region as well as its warships and other vessels are within reach of Iranian missiles up to a radius of 2,000 kilometers.
- 'Ready For War': IRGC General Says Two US Bases, Warship Are Within Range of Iranian Missiles Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- The statement comes as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday blamed Iran for recent drone attacks on Saudi Aramco's oil fields, urging the international community "to publicly and unequivocally condemn Iran's attacks".
- Saudi Press: KSA has Ability to Defend Itself SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- Saudi newspapers highlighted in their editorials today a number of issues at local, regional and international arenas.
- DPP lawmaker lobbies for Taiwan to join Pacific military exercises CNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Wang Ting-yu (王定宇), convener of the Legislature's Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee, said Saturday that the Unites States should invite Taiwan to participate in the upcoming multi-national military exercises in the Pacific, based on U.S. laws that have already been enacted.
- Kyiv Eyes 16-Percent Hike In Defense Spending, As Peace Talks With Moscow Loom RFE/RL 15 Sep 2019 -- As Kyiv seeks to meet Russia, Germany, and France by the end of the month for talks on the armed Donbas conflict, Ukraine's Prime Minister Oleksiy Honcharuk unveiled the first draft of next year's state budget that foresees a 16-percent spike in defense spending.
- Trump: US is 'Locked and Loaded' to Respond to Saudi Oil Attack VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says American forces are 'locked and loaded' to respond to the fiery attacks on one of Saudi Arabia's largest oil fields and the world's biggest crude oil stabilization facility.
- Guterres calls for 'maximum restraint' following drone assault on key Saudi oil facility UN News 15 Sep 2019 -- The UN Secretary-General appealed on Sunday for "maximum restraint" following a wave of drone attacks claimed by Houthi rebels in Yemen, against a huge Saudi Arabian State-owned Armco petroleum processing facility, which threatens to disrupt global oil supplies.
- Yemeni drone attacks halve Saudi oil, gas production; US pins blame on Iran Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Riyadh has admitted that Yemen's drone strikes on Saudi Arabia's key oil facilities have shut down about 50 percent of the kingdom's crude and gas production, with the United States rushing to point the finger at Iran for the raids without providing any evidence.
- Zarif derides US for "maximum deceit" over Yemeni drone attacks on Saudi oil field IRNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Sunday derided the US "maximum deceit" accusing Iran of the Yemeni drone attacks on Saudi oil field, a reference to the US maximum pressure strategy against Iran.
- Iran says US maximum pressure turned to maximum lie strategy IRNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi on Sunday expressed shock about the US attempt to implicate Iran in drone attacks on Saudi oil field by the Houthis from Yemen, saying that the US maximum pressure strategy has turned to the strategy of "maximum lie" against Iran.
- Pompeo turning to "max deceit": Zarif ISNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif reacted to claims made by US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo that Iran was behind the recent attacks on Saudi oil facilities.
- Iran rejects Pompeo's 'lies' about Yemeni drone raids on Saudi oil sites Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Tehran has dismissed the US's claim of Iranian involvement in the recent Yemeni drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities, saying Washington seems to be shifting from a failed campaign of "maximum pressure" to one of "maximum lying" and "deceit" against the Islamic Republic.
- Yemeni army kills, wounds number of Houthis in Hajjah SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- A number of the Iran-backed Houthi rebel militia were killed on Sunday in clashes with the Yemeni national army forces in Hajjah province, northwest of the country.
- Foreign Ministers of OIC Countries Condemn Attack on Two Saudi Aramco Plants SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- The foreign ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) condemned in the strongest terms and unanimously the targeting of two Saudi Aramco plants in Abqaiq and Khurais in the east of the Kingdom.
- EU Condemns Attack on Aramco Oil Facilities SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- The European Union condemned today attacks on two Aramco oil facilities.
- Yemen condemns targeting of two Aramco affiliated factories SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- The Republic of Yemen condemned in the strongest terms the cowardly terrorist attack on two Aramco plants on Saturday in Abqaiq and Hijrat Khurais by drones.
- GCC Secretary General condemns attack on two Aramco plants SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- Secretary General of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Dr. Abdullatif bin Rashid Al-Zayani condemned the drone attack against two Aramco plants in Abqaiq and Hijrat Khurais, describing it as a cowardly terrorist act and a blatant threat to the Kingdom's security, stability and vital interests.
- Satellite Images Show Pillar of Black Smoke Over Saudi Oil Fields After Devastating Drone Strikes Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- A series of drone strikes were launched against two of Saudi Arabia's largest oil fields on the night of 14 September. Despite Yemeni groups claiming responsibility, the US blamed Iran for the attack,. Relations between the Washington and Tehran have soured following last year's US withdrawal from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- US Will Not End War in Yemen by Blaming Iran for Everything - Zarif Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran for drone attacks on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities.
- Iraq Denies Report Drones Attacking Saudi Oil Facilities Were Launched From Its Territory Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- On Saturday Saudi Arabia's oil facilities were attacked by two drones, causing major fires and disrupting oil production in Abqaiq in the eastern part of the country and in Khurais, northeast of Riyadh. The attacks were claimed by Yemen's Houthi movement but the US put the blame on Iran. Tehran has refuted the allegations.
- Saudi Aramco Chairman: There are no injuries among workers in Abqaiq and Khurais plants following terrorist act SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Aramco's emergency response teams successfully responded to fires at their plants in Abqaiq and Khurais resulting from terrorist projectile attacks.
- Minister of Energy: Terrorist attacks on "Abqaiq and Khurais" plants have resulted in a temporary halt in production operations; decrease for its customers will be offset by stocks SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, the Minister of Energy, stated that on Saturday 15th of Muharram 1441H corresponding to 14 September 2019, at 3:31 and 3:42 am, several explosions occurred as a result of terrorist attacks in Saudi Aramco plants in Khurais and Abqaiq. They resulted in fires that were controlled.
- Houthi Drone Attacks on Saudi Aramco Oil Production Halt 5.7 Million Barrels Daily - Minister Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- Oil production at Riyadh's two Saudi Aramco plants attacked by Houthi militants has temporarily stopped, interrupting about half of the company's total daily oil output, the Saudi energy minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, said Saturday, cited by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
- President Rouhani terms US' presence in Syria as illegal, interventionist IRNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday evening described the US presence in Syria as illegal and interventionist, noting that the United States accuses of Yemeni combatants or people of other countries instead of admitting that its intervention in the region has been problematic.
- Iranian President Rouhani in Turkey for talks on Syria, regional issues IRNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani arrived in the Turkish capitalو Ankara on Sunday night in a bid to join his Turkish and Russian counterparts in discussions on Syria.
- Car bomb blast in militant-held Syrian town kills 11 civilians Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- A car bomb has struck the Al-Rai town near the Turkish border in northern Syria, killing at least 11 civilians in the militant-held region, an observatory group said.
- SDF actions against Syrians match up with US vassal states' schemes: Damascus Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Syria's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has strongly condemned the "criminal and repressive" actions of US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants from the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) against ordinary Syrians, stating that they are in line with schemes devised by Israeli officials and implemented by regimes subservient to Washington.
- Syrian president issues new amnesty reducing punishment for crimes Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad has issued a decree granting amnesty and commuting sentences for all crimes committed before Sept. 14 this year, a move which could see thousands of prisoners released across the conflict-torn Arab country.
- Thousands of people return to hometowns in northwestern Syria Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Thousands of Syrians have returned to their hometowns in the country's northwest after government forces purged the areas of foreign-backed militants.
- Netanyahu approves new settlement only two days prior to general elections Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has approved the construction of a new settlement in the occupied West Bank, as the Tel Aviv regime goes ahead with land expropriation and settlement construction policies in violation of international law and UN Security Council resolutions.
- West African leaders pledge $1 billion to counter Takfiri terrorism Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- The leaders of West African countries have announced a one-billion-dollar plan to combat the growing threat of Takfiri terrorism and violence in the region.
- Somalia: Al-Shabab Attacks Kill 17 VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- The al-Shabab militant group launched a series of attacks since Saturday that led to the death of at least 17 people in Somalia.
- Calls for Release of Separatists, Political Prisoners Intensify in Cameroon VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- Consultations have begun in Cameroon ahead of a national dialogue ordered by president Paul Biya. Civil society groups and opposition political parties are calling for the unconditional release of Anglophone separatist leaders and other political prisoners before discussions begin.
- Tunisia Votes for New President VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- Tunisians voted Sunday to select their next president among some two dozen candidates with unofficial results suggesting two outsider candidates are ahead.
- Economy, Honesty Key Concerns as Tunisians Choose Their President VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- Tunisians voted Sunday to select their next president among some two dozen candidates. More than seven million people were eligible to cast their ballot in what is only the North African country's second free presidential election, eight years after its so-called Jasmine Revolution.
- Saudi Arabia Intends to Restore Third of Lost Oil Production by Monday - Reports Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia intends to restore third of oil production lost due to drone attacks on its refining facilities by Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, citing Saudi officials.
- Saudi says unclear when oil output will return to normal after 'massive' damage Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- An informed Saudi source says the damages inflicted on the Aramco oil facilities in the recent Yemeni drone attacks are so massive that it is not clear when the country's oil output can return to normal.
- SAMI's participation in DSEI reflects Saudi Arabia's vision for self-sufficient military industries sector SPA 15 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabian Military Industries (SAMI) has concluded its successful participation in the Defense and Security Equipment International (DSEI) exhibition held at ExCeL London from 10-13 September. Advanced Electronics Company (AEC) and SAMI Navantia Naval Industries (SAMI-Navantia), two SAMI companies, also took part in the four-day international arms fair under SAMI's umbrella.
- Protesters Rally In Siberian City Amid Outrage Over Mayoral Election RFE/RL 15 Sep 2019 -- Hundreds of protesters jammed a central square in the Siberian city of Ulan-Ude, amid continuing outrage over recent elections for the city's mayor and related police violence.
- Canada Arrests Intelligence Officer Who Worked On Magnitsky Probe RFE/RL 15 Sep 2019 -- A senior intelligence official has been arrested in Canada and charged with disclosing classified information to an unspecified foreign entity.
- With New North Korea-US Talks Likely, Will a Deal Result? VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- Promised talks this month between the United States and North Korea will give President Donald Trump yet another chance to conclude a deal with the reclusive nation, something that has eluded several of his predecessors.
- Trump's Desire to Ease Iran Sanction Regime Prompted Bolton's Departure - Report Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump reportedly proposed lifting tough sanctions against Iran as a means of encouraging Tehran to renegotiate the 2015 JCPOA.
- Iran's sanction relief proposal by Trump prompted Bolton's departure: Report Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- The abrupt departure of former US National Security Adviser John Bolton reportedly took place after President Donald Trump proposed the idea of lifting some US sanctions on Iran as an incentive for the Islamic Republic to come to the negotiating table.
- US' maximum pressure policy against Iran turning towards "maximum lies" ISNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Abbas Mousavi has reacted to remarks by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a US senator regarding the recent Yemeni drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities.
- US plots, wrong plans behind regional crises: President Rouhani Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says what is currently going on in the Middle East region is the result of US' plots and wrong plans, urging regional countries to resolve the existing crises through dialogue.
- Advances in nuclear energy make Iran powerful: AEOI chief IRNA 15 Sep 2019 -- Vice-President and Director of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said on Saturday that advances in the nuclear energy made Iran powerful.
- Iran secures €1.2bn of Russian loan for building mega power plant Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Iran and Russia have signed final documents of a deal which allows Moscow to grant a €1.2-billion loan to Tehran for construction of a major power plant south of Iran.
- Hong Kong Demonstrators Clash with Police on 99th Day of Protests VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- Anti-government protesters clashed with police in Hong Kong again on Sunday, with demonstrators hurling rocks and Molotov cocktails at authorities who responded with volleys of tear gas and blasts of blue-dyed water fired from water cannons.
- HK riots go on rampage Global Times 15 Sep 2019 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government strongly condemned the violent acts on Sunday, saying the violence put ordinary people in danger and leading the city into lawlessness.
- HK needs stronger common interests Global Times 15 Sep 2019 -- The number of people participating in radical protests in Hong Kong has significantly dropped. However, few violent protesters still act rampantly.
- Protesters in Hong Kong unrest gather at British consulate, demand intervention Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- Anti-government protesters in Hong Kong have staged a rally outside the British consulate in the Chinese city, calling for support from the territory's former colonial ruler.
- Johnson vows to withdraw UK from EU on Oct. 31 Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he will find a way to take Britain out of the European Union (EU) on Oct. 31.
- UK PM Boris Johnson Believes Brexit Deal With EU Possible Within Weeks - Report Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson earlier this week reiterated - after his bid for snap elections again failed in the British Parliament - that he would do everything in his power to strike a deal with the European Union and confirmed that his administration would not ask Brussels for an extension of the 31 October withdrawal date.
- After Years Of Stalling, Can Ukraine Finally Become Energy Self-Sufficient? RFE/RL 15 Sep 2019 -- After enduring two Russian gas cutoffs in the past 14 years, Ukraine could face yet another energy shortage this winter as the Kremlin seeks to circumvent its biggest western neighbor on deliveries deeper into Europe.
- Algeria to Hold Presidential Election in December Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- The People's National Assembly of Algeria - the lower house of the parliament - earlier this week approved a draft law to ensure fair presidential elections, as well as resolve issues between government and the opposition.
- Thai Government May Beat Legal Threats, But Flagging Economy Looms VOA 15 Sep 2019 -- Less than two months into its term, Thailand's post-junta government is fending off a series of challenges to its very existence, including a brewing political storm over the Cabinet's failure to recite the full oath of office.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|