14 September 2019 Military News
- NATO Commander Expects Violence, to Work for Safe Afghan Elections VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- It's been a rocky week in Afghanistan peace talks, and NATO's operational commander said allies "anticipate increased violence" on the ground as Afghan presidential elections inch closer.
- Taliban delegation travels to Russia after talks with US collapse Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- A team of negotiators from the Afghan Taliban has traveled to Russia days after the collapse of year-long negotiations between the US and the militant group.
- NATO Chiefs Support Afghanistan Resolute Support Mission, Look to Future DoD News 14 Sep 2019 -- The maxim "in together, out together" still appends to NATO operations in Afghanistan, Royal Air Force Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach said today at the conclusion of the alliance's Military Committee meeting in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Kabul Rules Out Peace Deal With Taliban Before September 28 Election RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- A spokesman for Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani says the Afghan government will only consider making a "legitimate" peace with the Taliban after a national election in September, despite political uncertainty following the recent collapse of U.S.-Taliban peace talks.
- Taliban Representatives Visit Russia, Aim for China & Iran Talks Amid US Negotiations Stall Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- The goal of the Taliban envoys is not to help revive talks with the United States but rather to gauge regional support for forcing the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan, a high-ranking member of the movement said.
- Afghan Authorities Halt Peaceful Settlement Efforts Until Election - Reports Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump last week cancelled secret meetings with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Taliban leaders following a car bomb attack in Kabul.
- Hamza bin Laden killed near Afghan-Pakistan border: Trump Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has confirmed the death of Hamza bin Laden, the son of al-Qaeda's dead leader Osama bin Laden.
- Trump Confirms That Osama Bin Laden's Son, Hamza, Has Been Killed RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- President Donald Trump says he can now confirm that Hamza bin Laden, the son of the deceased Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden, has been killed by a military operation along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
- Trump Says Osama bin Laden's Son Was Killed in US Special Operation Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- The US president's remarks followed comments by Secretary of Defence Mark Esper last month that to his knowledge, Hamza bin Laden, also known as the "crown prince of jihad," had died.
- Osama bin Laden's Son Killed in US Counterterrorism Operation, White House Confirms VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- The White House said Saturday that the son of al-Qaida founder Osama bin Laden has been killed in a U.S. counterterrorism operation in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region.
- Statement from the President The White House 14 Sep 2019
Defense Policy / Programs
- Show Goes On: US Navy's Truman Strike Group Deploys Without Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- The US Navy was forced to deploy the USS Harry S. Truman's surface escorts without the aircraft carrier on Thursday, as the vessel continues to undergo necessary repairs brought on following an electrical malfunction late last month.
- Allied Chiefs of Defence - NATO remains a pillar of stability in an uncertain world NATO 14 Sep 2019 -- The twenty-nine NATO Chiefs of Defence, as well as the invitee Chief of Defence from the Republic of North Macedonia, gathered in Ljubljana, Slovenia 13-15 September 19 for the final Military Committee conference of 2019.
- Pentagon Officials Discuss Arctic Security With Baltic, Nordic Representatives RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- U.S. Department of Defense officials met with representatives of eight Nordic and Baltic nations this week to discuss Arctic security and cooperation as great powers like Russia and China eye the region's natural resources and water routes.
- NATO Defense Chiefs Look to Build on 70 Years of Peace DoD News 14 Sep 2019 -- The chairman of the NATO Military Committee opened the group's conference in Ljubljana, Slovenia, yesterday by urging NATO's chiefs of defense to build on the alliance's 70 years of success to develop the capabilities needed to deter and defend the Euro-Atlantic theater.
- Russia's Floating Nuclear Power Plant Arrives At Far East Base RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- Russia's first floating nuclear power plant has reached its final destination in the country's remote Far East after a three-week, 5,000-kilometer journey.
- Mystery S-400 Modification Spotted in Newspaper Photo Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- Capable of detecting, tracking and destroying all manner of manned aircraft, drones, cruise and ballistic missiles, the S-400 is currently the most advanced mobile air defence system in Russia's arsenal.
- Erdogan says will talk to Trump about buying Patriot missiles Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- The Turkish president says he will discuss with his American counterpart Donald Trump a possible purchase of US-made Patriot surface-to-air missile systems in an upcoming meeting.
- Bill for purchase of F-16s likely to be passed in October: lawmaker CNA 14 Sep 2019 -- A draft bill that would pave the way for Taiwan to buy a new fleet of advanced F-16 fighter jets from the United States is expected to be passed in the Legislature by the end of October, a Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmaker said Saturday.
- Defense Min says home-made industry gains capability of systematic design IRNA 14 Sep 2019 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami said on Saturday that today, the defense industry has achieved the capability to design systematic products, as it can serve as the forerunner in the field of technology.
- Iran, India to expand defence cooperation ISNA 14 Sep 2019 -- Indian Minister of Defence, Rajnath Singh discussed ways of expanding defence cooperation in a meeting with Iran's ambassador to India, Ali Chegini.
- Trump talks of 'Mutual Defense Treaty' with Tel Aviv ahead of Israeli elections Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump is trying to "further anchor" the alliance between Washington and Tel Aviv as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu struggles to remain in power.
- At Least 4 Soldiers Injured as Ammunition Depot Explodes in Kazakhstan - Officials Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- At least four Kazakh servicemen were injured during the routine clearance of burnt debris from an ammunition depot which caught fire in June in the city of Arys, Kazakhstan, local authorities said Saturday.
- Saudi Arabia: Drone Attacks Halted Half Its Oil Production VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia's energy minister said Saturday that drone attacks on two Aramco oil facilities have cut the kingdom's oil production in half.
- Drone strike on Saudi Arabia oil facilities: UK statement UK FCO 14 Sep 2019 -- UK condemns Houthi drone attack on Aramco in Saudi Arabia.
- Fires engulf Saudi Arabia's oil facilities after drone attacks Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Yemeni drones have hit two oil facilities of Saudi Arabia's state oil giant Aramco in the country's east, causing huge fires before dawn on Saturday.
- Washington Blames Iran For 'Unprecedented Attack' On World's Energy Supply RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has blamed Iran for drone attacks on Saudi Arabian oil production facilities, saying Tehran had "launched an unprecedented attack" on global energy supplies.
- The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Investigations Ongoing in the Terrorist Attack Against Two Saudi Aramco Facilities to Identify Parties Involved in the Attack SPA 14 Sep 2019 -- A statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen, Colonel Turki Al-Malki: "With reference to the statement issued by the security spokesman in the Ministry of Interior regarding the terrorist attack this morning (Saturday, 14 September 2019) against two Saudi Aramco Facilities in (Abqaiq) city and (Khurais) village, and based on joint initial investigations with relevant authorities on operational evidence and indicators as well as physical evidence in the locations of the terrorist attack, the Joint Forces Command of the Coalition affirms that the investigations are ongoing to determine the parties responsible for planning and executing these terrorist attacks.
- MOI Spokesman: Competent Authorities Control Two Fires in Two Aramco Factories in Abqaiq and Khurais SPA 14 Sep 2019 -- The Security Spokesman at the Ministry of Interior said that at 4:00 am on Saturday, 15/1/1441 AH, the industrial security teams of Aramco Company controlled two fires in two factories belonging to the company in the City of Abqaiq and Khurais Village, targeted by drones .
- 'Unprecedented': Pompeo Accuses Iran of Drone Attacks Against Saudi Oil Facilities Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday blamed Iran for recent drone attacks on Saudi Aramco's oil fields.
- Crown Prince Says Saudi Arabia 'Willing, Able' to Respond to Drone Attacks - SPA Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump spoke with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman by phone on Saturday after drone attacks caused massive fires at two Saudi Aramco oil facilities earlier in the day, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
- Senator Lindsey Graham Proposes Bombing Iran's Oil Fields in Response to Houthi Attack on Saudis Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- Earlier in the day, US and UK officials condemned the Houthis, and called on the Yemeni militia movement to immediately "stop undermining Saudi Arabia's security" after two major Saudi Aramco facilities were targeted by the militia's attack drones, causing major damage and seriously disrupting the country's oil output and exports.
- UK, US Condemn Attacks on Saudi Oil Facilities as Houthis Claim Responsibility Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- Earlier this day, two Saudi Aramco factories were targeted by drones causing conflagration at both facilities. Yemen's Houthis claimed the responsibility for the attacks, vowing "broader range of attacks" in the future.
- Yemen's Houthis Claim Responsibility for Drone Strikes on Saudi Oilfields, Promise More to Follow Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- Earlier in the day, a blast followed by fire was reported at the Saudi Aramco Abqaiq facility in the eastern part of the kingdom.
- Ankara to host Russia-Iran-Turkey trilateral summit on Syria ISNA 14 Sep 2019 -- The presidents of Russia, Turkey and Iran will discuss the difficult situation in Syria's Idlib province when they meet in Ankara early next week for a summit, Yuri Ushakov, a senior Kremlin aide said.
- Russia prevented Israeli airstrikes in Syria, Putin warned Netanyahu: Report Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Moscow has reportedly moved to prevent Israeli airstrikes in Syria, with Russian President Vladimir Putin warning Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu against the strikes.
- Iraqi Security Forces Detain Group of Terrorists Plotting Attack Against Shiite Pilgrims Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- Iraq's security forces detained six terrorists, who planned to carry out an attack against Shiite Muslims during the annual pilgrimage of Arbaeen, the organization's press service said on Saturday.
- Militants attack Pakistani soldiers near Afghanistan border, 4 killed Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Four Pakistani soldiers have been killed in two separate attacks by heavily armed militants in the country's northwest near the Afghan border in 24 hours, military sources say.
- Militant Fire From Across Afghan Border Kills 4 Pakistani Soldiers VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- Pakistan said Saturday that four of its soldiers were killed and another was injured when "terrorists" from across the Afghanistan border opened fire at two locations.
- Major Effort Launched to Aid Rohingyas Hit by Monsoon Rains VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- The World Food Program has launched its biggest relief operation this year to aid thousands of Rohingya refugees whose possessions have been swept away in the torrential rains that hit Cox's Bazaar in Bangladesh this week.
- Russia expresses readiness to revive Ukraine peace talks with preconditions Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Russia has expressed willingness to participate in a four-way summit in the French capital aimed at reviving the Ukrainian peace process with some preconditions, including pull back of warring forces.
- Kuchma Says Ukraine Should Not Make 'Unacceptable' Concessions To Russia RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- The Ukrainian president's envoy for peace talks with Russia-backed separatists has stressed that Kyiv should not make unacceptable concessions to Russia.
- Israeli drone downed in Gaza, seized by Palestinian fighters Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Palestinian resistance forces have shot down another Israeli drone in the Gaza Strip, the third unmanned aerial vehicle the regime has lost over the past few days.
- Netanyahu plans to annex 75% of Area C in occupied West Bank: PLO Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- The Palestine Liberation Organization has warned that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's declaration to annex the Jordan Valley and the northern Dead Sea if he wins the September 17 snap election is the tip of the iceberg.
- Islamic Group to Discuss Netanyahu's West Bank Annexation Plans VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- The Organization of Islamic Cooperation will hold an emergency meeting Sunday to discuss Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's intent to annex parts of the West Bank.
- Pakistan's Air Force Releases Maps, Footage of Attack on Indian Base During February Skirmish Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- February's suicide bombing attack on Indian security forces in the disputed Kashmir region and the skirmishes and escalations between India and Pakistan which followed bought the two Asian nuclear powers to the brink of war.
- Venezuela investigating Guaido over photo with Colombia gang members Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Venezuela opposition leader Juan Guaido is facing yet another scandal after the publication of photographs showing him alongside two members of a Colombian criminal gang.
- UK Judge Rules Assange Will Remain in Jail Due to 'History of Absconding' Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- Under the previous court ruling, Julian Assange would have been released from Belmarsh prison on 22 September. He has been serving a jail term after he was found guilty of breaching bail conditions in April.
- US House Intel Panel Head Subpoenaed Acting Intelligence Chief Over Concealed Complaint Sputnik 14 Sep 2019 -- According to House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, the concealed whistleblower's complaint could regard the president of the United States.
- Hawkish US senator says US should bomb Iran refineries to stop its enrichment moves Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Hawkish American Senator Lindsey Graham has says the US should mull bombing Iranian oil refineries if Tehran continues boosting its nuclear enrichment to higher grades.
- Attacks on Saudi oil make waivers on Iran necessary: Experts Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Experts say critical oil supplies lost due to Yemeni attacks on Saudi Arabia's production plants can only be compensated if the United States eases its sanctions on sale of crude by Iran.
- Iran's Petropars inks $440 million gas deal amid sanctions Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Petroleum Bijan Zangeneh says the illegal sanctions imposed by the United States on Tehran have failed to stop the country's oil exports.
- Enemies misinterpret Iran's commitment on Adrian Darya super tanker IRNA 14 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Ambassador to London Hamid Baeidinejad said when the UK and Gibraltar officials referred to Iran's commitments after releasing Adrian Darya-1 supertanker some enemies who could not see its freedom, misinterpreted it to giving guarantees by Iran to UK government.
- Zangeneh says US sanctions not to halt Iran's oil industry IRNA 14 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Petroleum Minister Bijan Zangeneh said on Saturday that the US sanctions cannot stop the Iranian oil industry.
- Hong Kong police break up clashes between rival protesters Press TV 14 Sep 2019 -- Hong Kong police have been forced to intervene after scuffles broke out between pro-and anti-government protesters as they held fresh demonstrations across the semi-autonomous city.
- Rival Protesters Clash at Hong Kong Rallies VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- Clashes erupted Saturday between rival groups in Hong Kong in the latest round of demonstrations that began with calls for democratic reforms in the semiautonomous Chinese territory.
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe Gets Tepid Turnout at Final Public Sendoff VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- The flag-draped coffin had arrived, followed by black-clad family members, their heads bowed. Several dozen suited dignitaries marched in, chests puffed out. Military members stood rigid and proud. All of the pomp and circumstance one would expect at the memorial for a man hailed as an African icon was in place Saturday for the final public sendoff for Robert Mugabe.
- Energy Agency: U.S. Will 'Clearly' Overtake Saudi, Russia As World's Largest Oil Exporter RFE/RL 14 Sep 2019 -- The United States will "clearly" overtake Saudi Arabia and Russia as the world's largest oil exporter in the next few years amid an "unprecedented" energy boom, the head of the International Energy Agency (IEA) said.
- Tunisians Head to Polls in Wide Open Election VOA 14 Sep 2019 -- Tunisians will choose Sunday from no fewer than 26 candidates in the country's second democratic presidential elections – moved up several weeks by July's death of President Beji Caid Essebsi.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|