26 July 2019 Military News
- Voices of Afghan women 'must be heard at the table in the peace process and beyond' UN deputy chief tells Security Council UN News 26 Jul 2019 -- Afghan women have "paid a high price" during their country's nearly four decades of conflict, the United Nations deputy chief said on Friday, addressing the Security Council a day after Kabul had been hit with a fresh round of "horrific" bomb attacks.
- Kabul Rally Chants 'Death to Trump' for His Anti-Afghan Remarks VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- A key presidential candidate in Afghanistan urged President Donald Trump on Friday to test the U.S. military power against Russia instead of threatening the "oppressed" Afghans.
Defense Policy / Programs
- III Marine Expeditionary Force, 3D Marine Expeditionary Brigade Welcomes New Leadership DVIDS 26 Jul 2019 -- Maj. Gen. Paul J. Rock Jr. assumed command as the Deputy Commanding General of III Marine Expeditionary Force and as the Commanding General of 3D Marine Expeditionary Brigade, July 26, 2019.
- Stryker BCT Soldiers bolster relationships through Pacific Pathways Army News 26 Jul 2019 -- More than 600 Soldiers with the 1-2 Stryker Brigade Combat team helped build readiness and strengthen partnerships in Thailand, the Philippines and Palau, in support of Pacific Pathways 19-1.
- Secretary of the Navy Names Newest Towing Salvage and Rescue Ship Saginaw Ojibwe Anishinabek NNS 26 Jul 2019 -- Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer has announced the newest Towing, Salvage, and Rescue ship (T-ATS 8) will be named Saginaw Ojibwe Anishinabek in honor of the history, service and contributions of the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan.
- CSCSU Great Lakes Opens New VMS Lab NNS 26 Jul 2019 -- Center for Surface Combat Systems Unit (CSCSU) Great Lakes held a ribbon cutting ceremony unveiling a new Voyage Management System (VMS) lab for operations specialist (OS) A School July 26.
- US, Botswana forces complete final training exercise US Air Force 26 Jul 2019 -- More than 170 National Guard Soldiers and Airmen from North Carolina, Alabama, and New Jersey traveled to Botswana to partner with approximately 300 Botswana Defense Force service members at Thebaphatswa Air Base, July 9-18, as part of Operation Upward Minuteman 2019.
- 91st Cyber Brigade completes rollout of ShadowNet enterprise solution Army News 26 Jul 2019 -- The Virginia National Guard's Bowling Green-based 91st Cyber Brigade completed the nationwide rollout of its ShadowNet enterprise solution July 19, 2019, with the integration of the 125th Cyber Protection Battalion into the solution's virtual private network. ShadowNet is a custom-built private cloud-based out of the brigade's data center in Fairfax, Virginia, that uses VPN connectivity to provide its aligned units with 24-hour, seven-days-a-week remote access to critical cyber training at both the collective and individual levels. The brigade successfully integrated its three other cyber protection battalions - the 123rd, 124th, and 126th Cyber Protection Battalions - into the ShadowNet platform last January.
- Pentagon Picks 4 Companies to Develop Next Generation Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Four US high tech companies will compete for a nearly $100 million order to develop a new generation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), the Defence Department said.
- Russia, Pakistan militaries set for joint war games in October Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Russia and Pakistan have agreed to hold a joint military exercise – using Russian military equipment– in southern Russia in October.
- India Set to Monitor Chinese Ships' Movements from Mozambique Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Further strengthening its dominant position in the Indian Ocean Region, India is set to sign a crucial agreement which will enable it to do round-the-clock monitoring of ships passing through the ocean's waters. The Indian Navy has already said that China's growing presence in the Indian Ocean is a major challenge for India.
- India - C-17 Sustainment Follow-on Support DSCA 26 Jul 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to India of C-17 sustainment follow-on support for an estimated cost of $670 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 26, 2019.
- Pakistan - Technical Security Team (TST) in Continued Support of the F-16 Program DSCA 26 Jul 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Pakistan for Technical Security Team (TST) in continued support of the F-16 program for an estimated cost of $125 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 26, 2019.
- Pakistan Lacks Ability to Fight Full-Fledged War with India: Indian Defence Minister Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday said that arch-rival Pakistan cannot engage in an all-out conflict with India and that's why it's resorting to a proxy war against it.
- Thailand - Stryker Infantry Carrier Vehicles DSCA 26 Jul 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Thailand of 60 Stryker infantry carrier vehicles with equipment and support for an estimated cost of $175 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 26, 2019.
- DPRK top leader guides firing of new-type tactical guided weapon Global Times 26 Jul 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), guided the firing of a new-type tactical guided weapon on Thursday, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Friday.
- DPRK-fired projectiles not threat directed at S.Korea, US: combined forces command Global Times 26 Jul 2019 -- The projectiles fired early Thursday by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) were not a threat directed at South Korea and the United States, the South Korea-US Combined Forces Command (CFC) said Friday.
- North Korea Announces Missile Test, Blasts S. Korean 'Warmongers' VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- North Korea has formally announced its latest ballistic missile test, saying the launch was a warning to "military warmongers" in South Korea who are set to soon hold joint military exercises with the United States.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Guides Power Demonstration Fire of New-Type Tactical Guided Weapon KCNA 26 Jul 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, guided the power demonstration fire of a new-type tactical guided weapon Thursday.
- North Korea Says Recent Missile Launch Was 'Warning' to 'South Korean Warmongers' - Report Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Pyongyang announced their Thursday missile launch, observed by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, was a "warning" against "South Korean warmongers," reported South Korea's Yonhap News Agency.
- South Korea-US Joint Drills to Go on as Planned Despite North Korea's Warning - Reports Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- The US and South Korea will proceed with their 19-2 Dong Maeng military exercise as scheduled despite North Korean media claiming that Pyongyang's recent ballistic missile launch was meant to warn Seoul against holding the drill, Yonhap News Agency reported, citing an unnamed source at the South Korean Presidential Office.
- CNN claims Iran test-fired medium-range ballistic missile Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- The US news network CNN says Iran has test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile late Wednesday.
- U.S. Official Says Iran Test Fires Shahab-3 Ballistic Missile RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- An unnamed U.S. official has told Fox News that Iran has test fired a Shahab-3 medium-range ballistic missile, which if confirmed would likely add to already high tensions between Washington and Tehran.
- Pentagon Believes Iran Test-Fired Medium-Range Ballistic Missile Amid Escalation – Reports Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- The tensions in the region peaked after several incidents involving foreign tankers, including the capture of a UK-flagged ship by Tehran last Friday following the seizure of an Iranian vessel by the British Navy near Gibraltar. The US and several European countries are now planning to patrol the area near the Strait of Hormuz.
- Iran Test-Fires Medium Range Missile, US Says VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- Iran has test-fired a medium-range missile, a U.S. military official said, further escalating tensions in the Persian Gulf region.
- Russia completes first stage of S-400 delivery to Turkey Global Times 26 Jul 2019 -- Russia has completed delivery of the first shipment of S-400 air defense missile systems to Turkey, according to media reports on Thursday.
- Erdogan: Turkey will turn to other options if US refuses to sell it F-35 jets Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country will consider turning to others for fighter jets if the United States refuses to sell it F-35 fifth-generation and multirole combat aircraft, stressing that Washington's decision to remove Ankara from the jet production program would not deter his country from meeting its security needs.
- Erdogan Reiterates That Russian S-400 Will Be Operational By April RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on July 26 reiterated that Turkey plans to start using the Russian S-400 missile-defense system in April.
- Trump Says Doesn't Blame Turkey for Purchasing Russian S-400 Missile Defence Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Moscow has just finished shipping the first S-400 air defence systems to Turkey despite pressure from Washington on Ankara to abandon the deal and buy Patriot missile systems instead.
- Turkey Discusses Domestic Production of S-400s With Russia Amid Equipment Deliveries Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Moscow has just finished shipping the first S-400 air defence systems to Turkey despite pressure from Washington on Ankara to abandon the deal and buy Patriot missile systems instead. Turkey has called Russia's offer more interesting than the US proposal.
- Erdogan Threatens to Stop Boeing Acquisition Amid Row With US Over S-400 Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned on Friday that Ankara might reconsider buying Boeing aircraft from the United States if it follows through on its threat to impose sanctions over the acquisition of Russian S-400 air defence missile systems.
- Turkey Says Ready to Find Replacement for US F-35 Jets Amid Row Over S-400 Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Washington has been threatening Turkey with sanctions and stopping supplies for F-35s over the country's decision to buy Russian S-400 air defence systems since Ankara inked a contract in 2017. The US has already halted training programmes for Turkish pilots on new jets.
- Turkey: Russia Completes First Part of Delivery of Missile Defense System VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- The Turkish government says Russia has completed delivery of the first shipment of Moscow's S-400 missile defense system, which has been a point of contention with the United States. The announcement comes as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirms his commitment to use the system next year, while reaffirming his commitment to deepening ties with Russia.
- Pompeo Calls on Turkey to Not Make S-400 System Operational Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during an interview called on Turkey to not make the Russian S-400 air defense system operational.
- Romania Says It Blocked A Russian Arms Shipment To Serbia RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Romania has announced it has blocked a Russian military shipment to Serbia earlier this month because of international sanctions against Moscow for its actions in Ukraine.
- Russian Military Denies Reports of Arms Deliveries to Serbia Intercepted by Romania Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Russian Defence Ministry has denied Romanian government allegations about the interception and seizure of a Russian vessel carrying armoured personnel carriers for the Serbian army.
- Contracts for July 26, 2019
- Boeing Withdraws From Pentagon Nuclear Missile Program Over Bidding Process Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- On Wednesday, American aerospace company Boeing announced its withdrawal from the Pentagon's Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) project, citing concern with the bidding process.
- 26 July 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Jul 2019
- US actively participating in Saudi war on Yemen: Ansarullah Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Yemen's Ansarullah movement says the US is not just arming the Saudi-led coalition, but is actively participating in its brutal war against the innocent Yemenis.
- JFC of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Coalition Forces Intercept, Down Drone Launched by Iran-backed Al-Houthi Terrorist Militia on KSA SPA 26 Jul 2019 -- The official spokesman of the Coalition's Forces "Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen" Col. Turki Al-Malki stated that the joint coalition forces managed this evening to intercept and drop a drone in the Yemeni airspace launched by Al-Houthi terrorist militia from Sana'a governorate in an attempt to target the Kingdom.
- Arab Coalition Downs Houthi Drone in Yemen – Reports Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Saudi-led Arab forces fighting Houthis in Yemen downed a rebel drone on Friday as it was flying toward the Saudi city of Jizan, Al Arabiya reported, citing the coalition command.
- UN human rights chief fears world has grown numb to Syrian carnage UN News 26 Jul 2019 -- The relentless campaign of airstrikes in Syria has been met with a "collective shrug," the top United Nations human rights official said on Friday, denouncing the world's apparent indifference to the mounting civilian casualties as a "failure of leadership" by the world's most powerful countries.
- Damascus says Turkey-US deal on Syria buffer zone to violate its sovereignty Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Damascus has categorically rejected any deal between Turkey and the US on a buffer zone in northern Syria, describing it as a violation of its sovereignty.
- Abbas declares end to 'all agreements' with Tel Aviv amid Israeli violations Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has declared an end to "all agreements, including security coordination" with Tel Aviv amid Israeli violations against the Palestinians.
- After Hague Appearance, Haradinaj Tells US, EU to Stop Pressuring Kosovo VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- Kosovo's outgoing Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj is calling on the international community, the United States and the European Union to stop pressuring his country to remove tariffs against Serbia as a precondition for negotiations between the countries.
- Trump, Ukraine's Zelenskiy Outline Pending Meeting During Phone Call RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump congratulated Ukrainian counterparty Volodymyr Zelenskiy on his parliamentary victory as the leaders discussed the agenda of their first tet-a-tet.
- The White House Announces Actions to Combat Violence in Mali US Dept. of State 26 Jul 2019 -- "Today, President Trump signed an executive order to address the deteriorating security situation in Mali. Extremist groups are exploiting ethnic tensions and expanding their networks well outside Malis borders."
- Statement from the Press Secretary Regarding Mali Executive Order The White House 26 Jul 2019
- Tajik, Kyrgyz Presidents Hold Talks Amid Border Tensions RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Tajik President Emomali Rahmon and his Kyrgyz counterpart Sooronbai Jeenbekov have met in the Tajik exclave of Vorukh as they look to ease tensions in the region.
- US, Guatemala Sign Deal to Restrict Central American Asylum-Seekers VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- President Donald Trump says Guatemala has signed a deal with the U.S. that would restrict Central Americans from seeking asylum in the United States.
- US considers imposing more sanctions on Russia over supporting Venezuela Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- The United States has threatened Russia with new sanctions over its support for Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro shortly after announcing punitive measures against several individuals and groups for their involvement in an emergency food program.
- South Sudan Official Calls Tax Exemptions Too Costly VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- South Sudan's National Revenue Authority says the government is losing vast sums of money each month because of excessive tax exemptions.
- The Week In Russia: Unity Or Terror? Putin Seeks 'Political Stability' In Moscow And Bishkek RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- "The country needs political stability, and all the people must unite around the current president and help him develop the state." That was Russian President Vladimir Putin's message for Kyrgyzstan -- but he may have had Moscow in mind, too.
- Moscow Council Candidate Sobol Detained As Pressure Builds on Opposition RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Lyubov Sobol, a Russian opposition figure, was briefly detained early on July 26 outside the headquarters of the Moscow Election Commission, the latest in a series of actions taken against political candidates independent of the Kremlin.
- Austria Issues Arrest Warrant For Russian Man Suspected Of Spying RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Austria has issued European and international arrest warrants for a Russian man on suspicion of espionage and working for Russia's Military Intelligence (GRU).
- Russia Dismisses Austria's New Spying Claims as Pure Disinformation Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Moscow regrets the fact that Vienna is trying to revive the "spy mania" by putting a Russian national on a wanted list on suspicion of spying for the Russian Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) "to the detriment of the Republic of Austria", the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- 'Not At All': Trump Unbothered By Recent North Korea Missile Launch Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- During comments to the press Friday, US President Donald Trump said he was "not at all" upset by the recent North Korean ballistic missile test.
- Trump Downplays North Korea's Recent Missile Launches: 'We've Been Doing Very Well' Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- US President Donald Trump in an interview with Fox News has downplayed the recent missile launches by North Korea, saying Washington and Pyongyang have been "doing very well".
- North Korea's Kim warns South against 'double-dealing' Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has warned South Korea against "double-dealing" by purchasing advanced weaponry amid peace talks between the two neighbors, as he attended the demonstration of a "new-type tactical guided weapon."
- Chinese, British work on Arak heavy water facility has 'picked up pace': Iran's atomic energy chief Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi says work on the reconstruction of the Arak heavy water reactor – a project jointly undertaken by China, Britain and Iran – has "picked up pace" following a pause.
- UK court rejects Iran claims for £20m interest on old defense deals Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- A top court in Britain has dismissed a complaint lodged by Iran seeking at least £20 million in interest for a debt related to a series of defense deals signed before the Iranian revolution of 1979.
- Pompeo Would 'Happily' Travel To Tehran To Explain 'Harm' Iranian Leaders Have Caused RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he would be willing to go to Tehran to address the Iranian people and explain how their leaders' actions have "harmed" their country.
- Hong Kong Activists Rally in Airport as Government Bans Next Events VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- More than 1,000 black-clad pro-democracy protesters staged a peaceful sit-in at Hong Kong's international airport Friday, greeting incoming visitors with warning signs in simplified Chinese, English, German and other languages.
- Russia Seeks to Use Its RD-180 Rocket Engines Which May Be Rejected by US In Soyuz-2.1 Carriers Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- Russia may start using its RD-180 rocket engines, which it exports to the United States but does not currently use itself, in the first stages of Soyuz-2.1 carriers, Russian State Space Corporation Roscosmos CEO Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday.
- India's Second Moon Mission Ascends Higher After Second Orbit Raising Task - ISRO Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- India's national space agency has carried out the second Earth-bound orbit raising manoeuver for its Moon Mission, Chandrayaan-2 early on Friday, using its onboard propulsion system.
- China Successfully Launches 3 Yaogan-30 Satellites Into Orbit Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- China has successfully launched a group of three research Yaogan-30 satellites into the orbit, China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) said on Friday.
- China launches new remote sensing satellites Global Times 26 Jul 2019 -- China successfully sent a group of new remote sensing satellites into orbit from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province on Friday.
- SpaceX Launches Dragon Cargo Mission to Space Station With 3D Bio-Tech Printer - NASA Sputnik 26 Jul 2019 -- SpaceX launched an unmanned cargo mission to deliver supplies and scientific experiments to the International Space Station (ISS), NASA said.
- DR Congo: efforts to control Ebola epidemic continue, UN food relief agency doubles assistance to affected people UN News 26 Jul 2019 -- With Ebola accelerating in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the UN World Food Programme (WFP) announced on Friday that it plans to scale up and double food assistance to people affected by the disease.
- WHO: Vaccination Vital in Slowing Spread of Ebola in DRC VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- The World Health Organization reports an experimental vaccine is saving lives and slowing the spread of the Ebola virus in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. But as the first anniversary of the Ebola epidemic nears, the WHO warns many challenges remain before the deadly disease is fully contained.
- Johnson Raises Brexit Stakes; Britain Gears Up for Possible Election VOA 26 Jul 2019 -- Newly appointed British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has reiterated his pledge to leave the European Union in October under any circumstance, raising the likelihood that Britain could crash out of the bloc without a deal.
- Final Ukraine Election Results Confirm Zelenskiy Landslide RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Ukraine's Central Election Commission says it has counted all of the ballots cast in July 21 snap parliamentary elections, confirming an overwhelming win for President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's Servant of the People party.
- Allegations of Hezbollah ruling Lebanon aimed at public provocation, turmoil: Nasrallah Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- The secretary general of Hezbollah has roundly dismissed claims that the Lebanese resistance movement is exerting control over the Beirut government, emphasizing that such lies are aimed at inciting public opinion and plunging Lebanon into turmoil.
- Nigerian troops kill 20 supporters of Sheikh Zakzaky Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Nigerian security forces have killed at least 20 members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) during protests calling for the release of senior cleric Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, the movement's leader, this week.
- Bronx Man Arrested for Attempting to Provide Material Support for Terrorism US Dept. of Justice 26 Jul 2019 -- Delowar Mohammed Hossain was Arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport While Allegedly Attempting to Travel Overseas to Join the Taliban in Order to Kill Americans
- Former Kyrgyz President: Time To Mend Fences With Successor Passed RFE/RL 26 Jul 2019 -- Former Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambaev, who faces five counts of criminally abusing his office when he held power from 2011 to 2017, says the time to mend fences with his successor, incumbent Sooronbai Jeenbekov, "has passed."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|