21 July 2019 Military News
- Inclusive peace in Afghanistan means 'women at the centre' urges UN deputy chief in Kabul UN News 21 Jul 2019 -- The UN deputy chief issued an impassioned plea on Sunday for Afghans to reconcile with the past and put "women at the centre" of all efforts to forge a durable peace, and a truly inclusive political process where women's voices are truly heard.
- World Bank: Peace Deal With Taliban to Help Improve Struggling Afghan Economy VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- The World Bank estimated Sunday that Afghanistan's economy grew by less than two percent (1.8 %) in 2018 primarily due to ongoing war, drought and political uncertainty, likely leading to further increases in poverty.
Defense Policy / Programs
- America's problem-plagued F-35 jets hit with new issue Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- The US military's fleet of F-35 stealth aircraft will miss the 80-percent readiness goal set by former Defense Secretary James Mattis for 2019, a new report has revealed.
- China's growing power, Russia's nukes main threats to US security: Pentagon official Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- The United States deems China's growing influence and Russia's nuclear weapons strategy as the biggest threats to its national security, says a senior Pentagon official.
- Statement Regarding Venezuelan Fighter Jet's Unsafe Approach Over International Waters NNS 21 Jul 2019 -- On July 19, a U.S. Navy EP-3 Aries II aircraft, flying a mission in approved international airspace, was approached in an unprofessional manner by a SU-30 Flanker Venezuelan fighter aircraft.
- Pentagon Claims Its Spy Plane Was 'Aggressively Shadowed' by Venezuelan Su-30 Fighter Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- On Friday, the Venezuelan Armed Forces reported scrambling a fighter jet to intercept a US EP-3 reconnaissance plane flying in Venezuelan airspace over the Caribbean Sea, saying that the fighter had established visual contact with the spy plane and escorted it until it left the region.
- US to launch surveillance-intelligence initiative in Persian Gulf: Official Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- The United States is preparing to develop a new surveillance and intelligence initiative with its allies to ensure what it calls "free and open passage" for ships in the Persian Gulf amid increased tensions in the region, according to a top US military official.
- Russian Military Experts Completed Their Mission in Venezuela, But Can Return if Needed - Moscow Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- In January 2019 the President of the National Assembly of Venezuela, Juan Guaido, proclaimed himself the country's interim president. He was recognised by the US, the UK and some other countries, while Russia, China and Cuba continue to support Nicolas Maduro as constitutionally-elected president.
- Pompeo calls Turkish FM to express dismay over purchase of Russian S-400 Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has expressed his displeasure over Turkey's purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense system – despite Washington's objection and threat of sanctions – during a phone conversation with his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.
- Trump to Meet Senators Amid Calls to Sanction Turkey for Buying Russia's S-400 – Reports Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- US President Donald Trump will meet with senators amid pressure on the White House to impose sanctions on Turkey for buying Russia's S-400 air defence systems, US media reported Sunday, citing people familiar with the discussions.
- 'Unacceptable' Russian-Turkish S-400 Deal Has Caused 'Worst NATO Crisis in Decades' – Trump Adviser Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- Russian planes carrying components for Ankara's recently-purchased S-400 air defence system began touching down in Turkey a week ago, with the White House announcing on Wednesday that the deliveries made the country's continued involvement in the F-35 programme "impossible".
- Two options for China to turn Y-20 strategic cargo plane into aerial tanker: magazine Global Times 21 Jul 2019 -- Chinese military media have offered some suggestions on how to customize the homemade Y-20 cargo plane as the country needs its domestically developed large aerial tanker for a strategic air force.
- 'Bottomless Barrel': Price for German Puma Combat Vehicle's Development Doubles - Report Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- Puma is a German mechanised infantry combat vehicle developed and issued by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann and Rheinmetall-Landsysteme. The German Federal Armed Forces received the first Puma prototype in 2010 and mass-produced deliveries began in April 2015.
- US Lobbying India to Drop Its 'Problematic' S-400 Deal With Russia, Senior US Commander Says Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- India and Russia signed a $5.43 billion S-400 contract in 2018, with deliveries expected to commence in late 2020. Delhi has moved forward with the defence deal despite US threats to sanction the country, with more than half of all Indian arms purchases signed with Russia.
- Japan Reluctant to Sign on to Trump's Gulf Coalition Idea Amid Tanker Seizure Row Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- Washington has had trouble securing allied support for a beefed up military presence in the waters off Iran, where it has accused Tehran of attacking foreign tankers. Iran has vocally denied the claims, and accused the US of stoking tensions.
- South Korea: Drill with US to go ahead despite North's warning Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- South Korea says a joint military exercise with the US will go ahead as planned next month, despite North Korea's warning that the drill could wreck denuclearization talks.
- U.S. Diplomat To Meet Leaders In North Macedonia On NATO, Other Issues RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- -- A top U.S. diplomat is visiting North Macedonia to meet with government, civil society, and business leaders, the State Department says.
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele At a Press Availability US Dept. of State 21 Jul 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- US State Dept slams China for alleged hindrance of S China Sea gas, oil activities Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- The US State Department has expressed concern about reports of alleged Chinese obstruction of oil and gas activities in the South China Sea, including Vietnam's exploration and production efforts.
- Why China and Vietnam Can't Stop Clashing With Each Other VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- China and Vietnam are continuing to clash over a maritime sovereignty dispute despite diplomacy and calm being displayed by other claimants to the same sea.
- IS Decentralizing Into 'Provinces' in Bid to Return VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- A series of Islamic State (IS) announcements of new provinces it controls in recent weeks has renewed debate over the group's possible resurgence after its self-proclaimed caliphate fell, with some analysts warning an increasingly decentralized IS could recover and spread its tentacles to other parts of the world.
- Rocket attack by Syria militants kills 2 in Damascus Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- At least two people, including a child, have lost their lives and three others have been wounded in a rocket attack by Takfiri militants that targeted a civilian vehicle in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Syrian Troops Repel Terrorist Attack on Army Positions in Idlib Province - Reports Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- The Syrian army repelled an attack by the Nusra Front terrorist group on its positions in the Qasabiyeh village in Idlib's southern countryside, recently retaken by the government forces, the SANA news agency has reported.
- UN: Humanitarian Situation in Syria Continues to Deteriorate VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- The United Nations says conditions in Syria continue to deteriorate and humanitarian needs for millions of civilians remain acute across the war-torn country.
- Iraqi forces, Hashd al-Sha'abi fighters purge villages north of Baghdad of Daesh Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi army troops, supported by allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, have successfully purged more than a dozen villages north of the capital Baghdad of Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Haftar forces preparing for new push to capture Tripoli: Report Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Libya's UN-recognized government says forces loyal to strongman General Khalifa Haftar appear to be preparing for a new offensive to capture the capital city Tripoli.
- Eight killed in twin attacks in Pakistan's northwest Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- At least eight people have been killed and dozens of others wounded in twin attacks in northwestern Pakistan, officials say.
- Twin Attacks In Pakistan Kill At Least Eight RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Police in Pakistan say assailants opened fire on a police station in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province on July 21 and then blew up the entrance to a hospital as the wounded were being brought in, killing a total of eight people, including four police officers and wounding 30 more.
- Will Mueller Give 'Substantial Evidence' for Impeaching Trump? VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- A leading House Democrat says special counsel Robert Mueller will give "very substantial evidence" that will make the case for impeaching U.S. President Donald Trump.
- Anger Boils Over In Moscow After Barring Of Opposition Candidates RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Russian opposition leaders rallied thousands of people in Moscow to demand free and fair elections as a decision by officials to ban some independent candidates in local elections has seemingly sparked new life into the political protest movement.
- Election Finishes in DPRK KCNA 21 Jul 2019 -- The election of deputies to provincial (municipal), city (district) and county people's assemblies of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was successfully held on Sunday.
- Election of Deputies Begins in DPRK KCNA 21 Jul 2019 -- The election of deputies to provincial (municipal), city (district) and county people's assemblies started at all polling stations across the DPRK at 9:00 a.m. Sunday.
- Britain Drafts Plans to Sanction Iran in Tanker-Quarrel VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- British officials are drawing up plans to target Iran with sanctions for its seizing of a British-flagged oil tanker in the Strait off Hormuz, and it may urge European Union countries to reimpose sanctions that were lifted in 2016 as part of Tehran's agreement to curb its nuclear program.
- Britain Warned Iran Against Tanker Takeover, But Commandos Seized It Anyway VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- A British warship warned an Iranian patrol boat against interfering with the passage of the Stena Impero oil tanker through the Strait of Hormuz, according to a new recording released Sunday, but Iran Revolutionary Guard commandos descending from a helicopter seized it shortly thereafter.
- Iran calls UK to avoid escalating tension over tankers IRNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Ambassador to London Hamid Baeidinejad said on Sunday that "UK government should have control over political forces at home who mind to escalate tension between Iran and the UK over the ships issue."
- Zarif, Hunt hold phone talks ISNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif and his British counterpart Jeremy Hunt held a phone call, following the seizure of oil tankers in Gibraltar and Hormuz strait.
- Iranian ambassador warns UK against further provocation Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Iran's ambassador to the United Kingdom has warned London against further provocation, as reports emerge that the British government is considering freezing Iranian assets and may take other measures as well in a standoff between the two countries over the mutual seizure of tankers.
- Iranian lawmakers hail IRGC for seizure of British tanker Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Iranian lawmakers have thrown their weight behind the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) for impounding a British-flagged oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Iran 'doing casualty investigation' involving seized British-flagged ship Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- A senior Iranian shipping official says Iran has been conducting a maritime casualty investigation into an unsafe maneuver by the British-flagged oil tanker seized in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Iranian TV Says All 23 Crew Of Seized British-Operated Tanker Are Safe RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Iran has said that all 23 crew members of the seized British-flagged Stena Impero were "safe and in good health," as London condemned the seizure of the tanker, which it said was operating legally in Omani territorial waters.
- Britain Claims Iran in 'Clear' Breach of International Law over Tanker Seizure Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- On Saturday, UK Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt warned that the seizure of the Stena Impero tanker was a breach of international law. Tehran insists that the vessel was detained due to its collision with a fishing boat.
- Bolton Directs 'Venom' at UK in Hopes of Dragging London 'Into Quagmire' - Iran's Zarif Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- Relations between Tehran and Washington have soured significantly since the US withdrew unilaterally from the Iranian nuclear deal in 2018. US National Security Adviser John Bolton stated earlier this month that Iran will remain under pressure until Tehran abandons its nuclear weapons programme and 'violent activities' in the region.
- UK Sends Letter to UN About Its Tanker Seized by Iran, Urges Tehran to Release Vessel Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- The UK Permanent Mission to the United Nations has submitted a letter on Sunday to the UN Secretary-General and Security Council President with a "factual update" on the incident with the UK-flagged oil tanker Stena Impero seized by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz and called upon Tehran to release the vessel.
- Strait of Hormuz incident: Foreign Secretary calls with French and German foreign ministers UK FCO 21 Jul 2019 -- The Foreign Secretary discussed the incident with Jean-Yves Le Drian and Heiko Maas
- Maritime security in the Gulf: UK government response UK FCO 21 Jul 2019 -- This page sets out the government's initial response, during June and July 2019, to growing tensions following the impounding of tankers by Iran in the Gulf.
- Bushehr nuclear plant produces energy equal to 11m barrels of oil IRNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant can produce energy equal to 11 million barrels of oil, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI)stressing that the plant can help save energy and exploration activities.
- Zarif: Iran not needing to enrich uranium beyond caps IRNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif told PBS that Iran does not need to enrich uranium beyond the limitations defined by the nuclear deal.
- Saudi Arabia releases Iranian oil tanker from Jeddah Port IRNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Iran Minister of Roads and Urban Development Mohammad Eslami said on Sunday the Iranian oil tanker which had been seized by Saudi Arabia after it sought help from the Saudi border guards, was released and is now being towed toward the Persian Gulf.
- Iran confirms: Saudi Arabia releases detained Iranian oil tanker after over two months Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Tehran confirms earlier reports that an Iranian oil tanker, which was detained by Saudi Arabia more than two months ago, has been released, saying the vessel is now returning home.
- Zarif: Drone US claims to have shot down not Iranian IRNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif told the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) News Hour that the drone the United States claims to have shot down does not belong to Iran.
- IRGC commander: Trump lied big on shooting down Iranian drone Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says US President Donald Trump was lying big-time when he claimed that a US Navy ship had shot down an Iranian drone.
- US defeating JCPOA despite global investments: Zarif ISNA 21 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif said US administration is defeating the Iran nuclear deal, despite the investment the whole world made to bring it about and it has not only breached the relevant United Nations Security Council resolution, but also ironically sanctioned those who try to abide by it.
- 'A Big Lie': IRGC Slams US Claims of 'Downed' Iran Drone in the Strait of Hormuz - Report Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) released footage on Friday made by an Iranian drone flying over the Strait of Hormuz, refuting previous claims made by the US Navy that the United States downed the unmanned vehicle.
- Zarif: Failing to lure Trump into war, Bolton dragging UK into quagmire Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says after failing to lure US President Donald Trump into war with Iran, the B-Team is now trying to drag the UK into a quagmire by stoking confrontation between Tehran and London over a British-flagged tanker seized in the Persian Gulf.
- White paper clarifies historical facts of Xinjiang Global Times 21 Jul 2019 -- The State Council Information Office released a white paper on Sunday to clarify historical issues about the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, including that the Northwest China region has never been "East Turkistan" and Uyghurs are not descendants of the Turks, two false ideas promoted and distorted by separatist groups and some Western media.
- Hong Kong protesters attack Chinese government's liaison office Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Protesters in Hong Kong have occupied a significant swath of the city center, including the area around the Chinese government's liaison office, for hours.
- Tens of Thousands March Against Extradition Bill in Hong Kong - Reports Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- Tens of thousands marched in Hong Kong on Sunday in what is the third major protest against a controversial bill that would allow extraditions to mainland China, local media reported.
- Hong Kong Police Fire Tear Gas to Disperse Protesters VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- Hong Kong riot police fired tear gas and rubber bullets late Sunday to disperse pro-democracy protesters who again filled the streets of the Chinese territory.
- Tsai using HK violence, US visit to win support Global Times 21 Jul 2019 -- With violence over an extradition bill evolving into serious clashes with radical activists and proxy foreign forces confronting those who are determined to safeguard the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, analysts are warning of a coupling of pro-independence forces in Taiwan and separatists in Hong Kong.
- Zelenskiy's Party Set For Big Victory As Voters Approve Reform Agenda RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- The party of Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is set for a big win in snap parliamentary elections, exit polls show, as voters threw their support behind the former comic's pro-western reform agenda.
- Ukrainian President's Party Leads Parliamentary Vote - Exit Polls Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- The Servant of the People party of Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky leads the parliamentary vote with 43.9 per cent of the vote, the national exit poll published Sunday shows.
- Five Key Takeaways From Ukraine's Parliamentary Vote RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Ukrainian voters have spoken - yet again - and their message is loud and clear: they want change.
- Zelenskiy Says New Parliament Should Scrap Immunity As Snap Polls Under Way In Ukraine RFE/RL 21 Jul 2019 -- Turnout in Ukraine's snap parliamentary elections appeared low as President Volodymyr Zelenskiy seeks a mandate to push through long-awaited reforms.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|