22 June 2019 Military News
- Trump 'Agonised' Over Plans of US Attack on Iran, Senator Reveals Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- President Donald Trump earlier revealed that the US was "cocked & loaded" to strike Iran in retaliation for the downing of an American drone, but he called off the attack upon learning that roughly 150 Iranians would die as a result of the op - something which he deemed disproportionate to the loss of an unmanned aerial vehicle.
- US Media Reveals Who Stopped Trump From Striking Iran After Spy Drone Downing Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Tensions between Iran and the United States nearly escalated into a dangerous direct confrontation on Thursday as President Donald Trump approved airstrikes against Tehran following the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' downing of a US spy drone, but abruptly backtracked on his decision.
- Pakistan organizes conference to bring peace to Afghanistan IRNA 22 Jun 2019 -- The first Afghan peace conference organized by Pakistan clearly depicts political resolve of the Pakistani government to bring peace and stability to the neighborhood.
- Dozens Of Afghan Politicians At Pakistan Meeting To Bolster Peace Efforts With Taliban RFE/RL 22 Jun 2019 -- Dozens of senior Afghan political figures are attending a peace conference in neighboring Pakistan aimed at paving the way for an intra-Afghan dialogue to end almost two decades of war with the Taliban.
- Texas Sends Additional 1,000 National Guard Troops to US-Mexico Border - Statement Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Texas Governor Greg Abbott said on Friday that he would deploy an additional 1,000 National Guard troops to sections of the US-Mexico border amid a surge in migrant crossings, including 500 officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump to tap Army Secretary Mark Esper as defense chief: White House People's Daily 22 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump will nominate Army Secretary Mark Esper to be the next secretary of defense, the White House said Friday, three days after the resignation of acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan.
- US Mulls Far North Military Base to Counter Russia Arctic Dominance – Report Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- While proponents say the idea has a number of benefits, critics point out that a base in that part of the world would cost a lot of money, be virtually inaccessible most of the year and is the product of obsolete Cold War-era thinking.
- NATO to Declare Space a 'Domain of Warfare' as a 'Gift to Trump' – Report Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- The US president earlier announced the creation of a new and separate military branch, called the Space Force, which will be dedicated to waging possible warfare in space, whilst at the moment this falls under the remit of the US Air Force.
- Philippines president accepts China's offer for joint probe of S China Sea incident Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has reportedly accepted China's offer to jointly probe a recent South China Sea incident, where a Chinese fishing boat struck a Filipino vessel and allegedly abandoned 22 crew members of the sinking boat.
- Yemeni forces, allies shoot down Saudi-led reconnaissance drone in Hajjah Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have intercepted and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle belonging to the Saudi-led military coalition as it was flying in the skies over the country's northwestern province of Hajjah.
- Syrian air defenses target terrorists' combat drone in Hama Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Syrian air defense systems have intercepted and shot down an unmanned aerial vehicles launched by members of the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the country's western-central province of Hama.
- Syrian Army Downs Drone Flying Over Air Force Base in Hama - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Earlier this month, the Syrian state-run broadcaster reported that the country's air defence confronted terrorists' unmanned flying vehicles near a helipad in Jubb Ramlah village in Hama province.
- Top Israeli court okays demolition of 100 Palestinian apartments Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- The Supreme Court of Israel has reportedly approved plans for the demolition of 100 Palestinian apartments units on the southeastern outskirts of occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds on the grounds that they have been built close to the separation wall that snakes across occupied Palestinian territories and isolates large swathes of them.
- US Rolls Out Economic Part of 'Deal of the Century' for Palestinian Authority Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- The White House has unveiled the economic part of US President Donald Trump's "deal of the century" for Palestinian Authority, which features $50 billion in investment in the coming decade.
- Central African Republic Facing Acute Food Shortages VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- A new report finds nearly half of all people in the Central African Republic are suffering acute food shortages. The latest assessment by the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, a joint effort by eight U.N. and International non-governmental organizations, finds more than 1.8 million people in C.A.R. are facing an emergency food crisis.
- Trump Delays Planned Raids, Gives Congress 2 Weeks to Sort Immigration Deal VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- In a surprise move, President Donald Trump said he would push back by a couple of weeks the raids planned for Sunday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
- US accelerates returns of Central American asylum seekers to Mexico Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump is more than doubling the number of asylum seekers it returns to Mexico as it rapidly expands a policy to make Central American migrants wait for claims south of the US-Mexico border.
- In Venezuela, Bachelet calls on Government to release prisoners, appeals for 'bold steps towards compromise' UN News 22 Jun 2019 -- Speaking at the end of the first-ever official mission to Venezuela by a UN human rights chief, Michelle Bachelet called on the Government to release all those detained for peacefully protesting and announced that a team from her office would remain in Caracas to monitor the human rights situation.
- UN Human Rights Chief Urges Venezuelan Government to Free Jailed Dissidents VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- U.N. Human Rights chief Michelle Bachelet is urging the Venezuelan government to free hundreds of jailed dissidents who were arrested for participating in peaceful protests.
- Georgia President Meets Western Envoys While PM Slams 'Revanchist Opposition' for Tbilis Unrest Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Georgian President Salome Zourabichvili carried out a meeting with the diplomatic representatives of several western countries to discuss the ongoing Tbilisi unrest, according to an official statement.
- Russian president bans country's flights carrying Russian citizens to unrest-hit Georgia Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has temporarily banned the country's airlines from transporting Russian citizens to Georgia, a day after an outbreak of unrest in Tbilisi triggered by the visit of a Russian legislator who addressed the parliament from the speaker's seat.
- Thousands Of Georgians Protest For Third Day, Push For More Resignations, Early Elections RFE/RL 22 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of anti-Russian demonstrators were rallying for a third in the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, demanding the resignations of some top officials and early elections.
- Moscow Demands That Tbilisi Ensure Safety of Russian Citizens, Journalists in Georgia Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry has demanded in a statement that Tbilisi guarantees unconditional safety of Russian citizens in Georgia, in the wake of an attack on Russian journalists in Tbilisi.
- Iran executes former Defense Ministry contractor over spying for CIA Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Iran has executed a former contract employee for the Defense Ministry's Aerospace Industries Organization on charges of spying for the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the White House.
- Reports: Iranian Man Executed For Allegedly Spying For CIA RFE/RL 22 Jun 2019 -- Iranian media reported that authorities have executed a man convicted of spying for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
- Defence Ministry Employee Executed in Iran for Spying for CIA Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, Tehran announced that it busted a "large US cyber-espionage" network run by the CIA, arresting several spies. According to Tehran, the operation was organised and conducted in cooperation with "partners", without naming them.
- Kim Jong Un Praises 'Excellent' Letter from Trump VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has received a personal letter from U.S. President Donald Trump and is contemplating its contents, North Korean state media reported Sunday.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Delegation Leaves for Russia KCNA 22 Jun 2019 -- A delegation of the Foreign Ministry of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea led by Vice-Minister Im Chon Il left here Saturday to attend the vice minister-level negotiations between the DPRK and Russian foreign ministries due to be held in Moscow.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Hosts Luncheon for President Xi Jinping and His Wife Peng Liyuan KCNA 22 Jun 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), visited the lodging quarters of Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and president of the People's Republic of China, and hosted a luncheon for Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan.
- President Xi Jinping Leaves Here KCNA 22 Jun 2019 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and president of the People's Republic of China (PRC), who paid a state visit to the DPRK at the invitation of Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, left Pyongyang on Friday afternoon by his personal plane after winding up his successful visit.
- Leaders of North Korea, China reach consensus on 'important issues' Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- North Korea says it reached a consensus with China on "important issues," and agreed to build on their countries' friendly relations "whatever the international situation".
- Kim, Xi Agree to Build Friendly Chinese-DPRK Ties 'Whatever the International Situation' - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday discussed ways to strengthen collaboration between their two countries, North Korean state media KCNA said on Saturday, according to Reuters.
- Statement on Iranian Disinformation US Dept. of State 22 Jun 2019 -- "Iran's leaders know the truth is a dangerous thing. It is important to correct the record."
- Iran Warns of Firm Response to any US Threat While US Vows More Sanctions VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- Britain's Middle East minister travels to Tehran Sunday for talks with Iranian officials. Britain's Foreign Office said Andrew Murrison will call for "urgent de-escalation in the region." Murrison will also discuss Iran's threat to cease complying with the nuclear deal that the United States pulled out of last year.
- Latest struggle of EU troika to save JCPOA IRNA 22 Jun 2019 -- European Troika Foreign Ministers have chosen Iran as their destination, which, in addition to their concerns about the growing tensions between Iran and the United States, rescuing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has been an increasingly important task.
- Iran's armed forces fully prepared to defend country: Senior commander IRNA 22 Jun 2019 -- Iran's armed forces do not welcome war, but are fully ready to defend the country, Commander of Aerospace Force of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said on Saturday.
- Iran to start 2nd phase of reducing commitments under JCPOA on July 7: Zarif ISNA 22 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif announced that Iran will start second phase of reducing its commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) on July 7, 2019.
- Trump says will be Iran's 'best friend,' thanks for not downing US plane Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has said that he would be Iran's "best friend" and that the Islamic republic could be a "wealthy" country if it stopped pursuing nuclear weapons. Iran's leadership has repeatedly expressed their firm opposition to the development and use of nuclear weapons.
- Zarif tweets detailed map showing US spy drone hit in Iran's airspace Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has tweeted a map with detailed coordinates that shows a US spy drone shot down two days ago was within the Islamic Republic's territorial waters.
- Iran summons UAE envoy over intrusive US drone launch Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Iran has summoned the United Arab Emirates' charge d'affaires to complain about the UAE allowing an American spy drone to be launched from a US military base on the Arab country's territory.
- Iran says to respond firmly to US threats no matter what Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- Iran says it will not allow any incursions by the United States into its borders regardless of the response that may come from Washington.
- 'A general', 'operators' could be behind US intrusion: Iran Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- US drone intrusion into the Iranian airspace could have been carried out by a "general" or "several operators", a senior commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corpse (IRGC) says.
- Trump says ready for Iran talks with no preconditions: Report Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has reportedly said that he would be ready to negotiate with Iran without any preconditions.
- Trump To Impose New 'Major' Sanctions As Iran Warns Of 'Historic Response' If Attacked RFE/RL 22 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington will impose new "major" sanctions against Iran on June 24, adding that military action was still a possibility.
- U.S., Global Force Threaten Iran With Sanctions Over Money-Laundering, Terror Financing RFE/RL 22 Jun 2019 -- The United States and an international task force have threatened Iran with financial penalties, accusing it of violating international guidelines designed to block money-laundering and funding of terror groups.
- Trump Announces 'Major' New Sanctions Against Iran to Take Effect on Monday Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Trump announced that a military action against Tehran was still on the table after Iran downed a US drone. The statement follows a separate announcement from the president, in which he stated that another round of anti-Iran sanctions is expected to be implemented as a means of preventing Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.
- Iran to Defend Its Borders Regardless of US Decisions – Foreign Ministry Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump called off a strike against targets in Iran minutes prior to launch, as he discovered some 150 Iranians would be killed. The strikes were set to be launched in retaliation to Iran's downing of a UAV, which, according to Tehran, breached its airspace, though Washington denies it did so.
- US is Moving Forward With Additional Sanctions on Iran - Trump Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- A simmering confrontation between Washington and Tehran reached a new level earlier this week after Iran downed a US Global Hawk spy drone. Commenting on the incident, Trump claimed that he cancelled a retaliatory strike with just 10 minutes' notice.
- Iranian FM Zarif Reveals Detailed Map of Downed US Drone's Route Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- The Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (ISRC) stated on 20 June that it had shot down a US surveillance drone over the coastal Hormozgan Province, facing the Persian Gulf, for entering Iranian airspace, while the US claimed the drone was in international airspace.
- Iran Summons UAE Representative Over Alleged Launch of US Spy Drone From its Territory - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2019 -- Iran downed a US drone on 20 June, insisting that it violated the country's airspace in the southern Hormozgan Province, despite US claims that it was flying above neutral waters of the Strait of Hormuz. The downing almost led to an American strike against Iran, which was abruptly stopped by the US Presidents minutes prior to start.
- US Official Tells ASEAN Leaders to Choose Between China, US VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- A top U.S. Defense Department official told ambassadors and other leaders from Southeastern Asian countries that the Indo-Pacific region is "our priority theater" even as China makes inroads in an area it considers its backyard.
- Mekong Region Grows More Important to China-US Relations VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- Amid increasingly tense China-U.S. relations, a U.S. official alluded to China but did not specifically name China regarding "risks" and "challenges" imposed by approaches to dam building and cross-border riverine practices in the Mekong region.
- Istanbul Goes Back to Polls in Critical Vote VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- Istanbul votes again in a mayoral election Sunday, after authorities voided an opposition victory in March that ended 15 years of control by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AKP Party.
- US giant ExxonMobil puts on hold $53b Iraq oil deal over 'security concerns' Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- American energy giant ExxonMobil has put on hold a $53 billion deal with Iraq over "security concerns" stemming from escalating tensions between the United States and Iran, an excuse that observers say the firm has made up to avoid discussing differences of opinion with Baghdad over the contract.
- Bye, Bye, Bankova: Like The President He Played On TV, Ukraine's Zelenskiy To Relocate His Administration RFE/RL 22 Jun 2019 -- In the first few weeks of Volodymyr Zelenskiy's presidency, fact following fiction has been more of a rule than an exception.
- Polls Close in Mauritania Election VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- Mauritanian voters went to the polls Saturday in the country's first election without an incumbent presidential candidate since the 2008 coup.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|