21 April 2019 Military News
- Secretary Pompeo's Call With President Ashraf Ghani of Afghanistan US Dept. of State 21 Apr 2019
- Taliban says next talks with US to focus on foreign troop pullout from Afghanistan Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- A highly-placed member of the Taliban militant group says the next round of negotiations between the outfit and the United States will focus on the timetable for the pullout of all foreign troops from Afghanistan.
- Islamic State Claims Responsibility For Deadly Assault On Afghan Ministry RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- The Islamic State (IS) extremist group has claimed responsibility for an attack on an Afghan government building that killed at least seven people on April 20.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Washington ignored Moscow's nuclear war prevention pact: Report Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- The United States has reportedly ignored a Russian draft joint declaration on how to prevent a nuclear war, amid rising tensions between the two sides who accuse each other of violating a landmark Cold War nuclear arms control treaty.
- Warships assemble in Qingdao Global Times 21 Apr 2019 -- Naval vessels from multiple countries arrived in Qingdao, East China's Shandong Province on Sunday to join the upcoming Chinese maritime parade in celebration of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's 70th anniversary on Tuesday, where the host will debut its new warships.
- China to Display New and Upgraded Naval Vessels Amid S China Sea Tensions Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Over the past couple of years, Beijing has announced the launch of several new military vessels, as well as upgrades of ones already in service amid ongoing tensions with the US over the status of the disputed South China Sea.
- Supreme Leader appoints new IRGC commander IRNA 21 Apr 2019 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei in a decree appointed Brigadier General Hossein Salami as new commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC).
- Ayatollah Khamenei appoints new IRGC chief commander Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has appointed Hossein Salami, a senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), as the new chief commander of the military elite force, promoting him to the rank of major general.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Appoints New Chief Of Revolutionary Guards RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has appointed a new chief commander of the elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), just days after the United States designated the paramilitary force as a foreign terrorist organization.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Appoints New Commander for Revolutionary Guards - Reports Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Recently, the Revolutionary Guards Corps has been designated as a terrorist organisation by the United States. It's not immediately clear if the appointment is connected with the US move as reports didn't specify the reason behind the designation.
- 'Massive Resurgence' in Yemen Child Cholera Outbreak Amid Armed Conflict Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- According to reports coming out of war-torn Yemen, a minimum of one-third of cholera cases reported in a new outbreak of the deadly disease are children under the age of five.
- Mercenaries fighting for Riyadh regime killed in Yemeni missile strike Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Several Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, have been killed and dozens of others sustained injuries when Yemeni army forces fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at their camp in the country's southwestern province of Dhale.
- One Peacekeeper Killed, Four Injured in Attack on UN Mission Convoy in Mali Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- One member of the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), an Egyptian national, has been killed and four others injured in an attack on a MINUSMA convoy in the Malian region of Mopti, a spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said.
- Blasts, airstrikes rock Libyan capital amid fierce fighting Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Several airstrikes and explosions have reportedly shaken the Libyan capital of Tripoli as fierce fighting continues between Libya's UN-backed government troops and forces loyal to renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
- Haftar Army Claims to Have Destroyed 'Several Dozen' Militant Targets in Tripoli Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Earlier, Tripoli's civil aviation authority closed and then reopened Libya's only functioning civilian airport amid reports of air attacks in the vicinity of the city.
- Mitiga International Airport in Libya's Tripoli Closes Amid Reports of Airstrike Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- The Libyan civilian aviation authority has closed Tripoli's Mitiga Airport amid residents' reports of an airstrike on the city.
- Trump Continues to Lash Out at Mueller Report VOA 21 Apr 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is continuing to lash out at special counsel Robert Mueller's report, a few days after a redacted version was released to the public, calling it a "total hit job."
- Volodymyr Zelenskiy Wins Landslide Victory in Ukraine Presidential Election VOA 21 Apr 2019 -- Volodymyr Zelenskiy, a 41-year-old television actor, won a landslide victory in the Ukrainian presidential election Sunday, with exit polls showing he received about 73% of the vote in the final round -- nearly three times as many as his rival, the incumbent Petro Poroshenko.
- 'An Electoral Maidan': Hope And Change, Ukrainian-Style, Vaults Zelenskiy Into Presidency RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- In the end, it was a demand for radical change and broad disappointment with the incumbent that vaulted a comedian who played Ukraine's president on television into the real thing.
- Reality Show: Zelenskiy's Big Day In Six Surreal Moments RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- Fact has followed fiction. Volodymyr Zelenskiy, a comic actor who plays a common man accidentally catapulted into an exasperated Ukraine's presidency on TV, has won big in the country's real presidential election.
- Comedian Zelenskiy Appears To Get Last Laugh With Landslide Victory In Ukraine's Presidential Poll RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- Television comic and political newcomer Volodymyr Zelenskiy appears headed for a landslide victory over incumbent President Petro Poroshenko in a strong rebuke of establishment politics amid a struggling economy and war in the country's east.
- Exit Polls: Comedian Zelenskiy Winning Ukrainian Presidential Elections With 73% Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Ukraine held the second round of its presidential elections on 21 April, after none of the candidates were able to secure the necessary number of votes to win in the first. Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who gained most of the votes in the first round, was expected to win the race, according to numerous polls.
- Russia ties in question as Ukraine votes in election runoff Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- People in Ukraine have taken to the polls to cast their ballots in a presidential election run-off that pits incumbent Petro Poroshenko against a political novice, Volodymyr Zelensky.
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 21 Apr 2019
- More than 200 Dead in Easter Blasts on Sri Lankan Churches, Hotels VOA 21 Apr 2019 -- In the deadliest violence in Sri Lanka in a decade, multiple explosions ripped through churches and luxury hotels on Easter Sunday, leaving more than 200 dead and more than 400 others wounded.
- World Leaders React to Sri Lanka Explosions VOA 21 Apr 2019 -- Several world and religious leaders condemned the explosions on Easter at Sri Lankan churches and hotels that killed scores of people.
- UN, world leaders, condemn Sri Lanka terrorist attacks targeting churches, hotels, which leave more than 200 dead UN News 21 Apr 2019 -- More than 200 have been killed and hundreds injured by a series of explosions inside churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, as Christians gathered for services to celebrate Easter. In a statement, UN chief António Guterres said he was "outraged by the terror attacks" and called for the perpetrators to be "swiftly brought to justice".
- Terrorist Attacks in Sri Lanka US Dept. of State 21 Apr 2019 -- "The United States condemns in the strongest terms the terror attacks in Sri Lanka on Easter morning. Attacks on innocent people gathering in a place of worship or enjoying a holiday meal are affronts to the universal values and freedoms that we hold dear, and demonstrate yet again the brutal nature of radical terrorists whose sole aim is to threaten peace and security."
- Foreign Secretary statement on Sri Lankan attacks UK FCO 21 Apr 2019 -- The UK stands in solidarity with persecuted Christians around the world and with the government and people of Sri Lanka, says Jeremy Hunt.
- More Than 200 Killed In Multiple Explosions In Sri Lanka RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- At least 207 people were killed and some 450 others were injured in Sri Lanka on April 21 as multiple coordinated explosions hit several locations including hotels and churches in the capital where worshippers attended Easter services.
- Improvised Explosive Device Neutralised by Sri Lankan Air Force - Reports Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- According to a Sri Lankan Air Force spokesperson, the improvised explosive device was discovered after reports of a suspicious item on the road near Bandaranaike International Airport.
- Sri Lanka's Police Chief Warned About Deadly Attacks 10 Days Before – Reports Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Multiple blasts hit several Catholic churches and hotels in the island nation on Easter Day, reportedly taking the lives of 185 people and wounding some 500 more. The police source told AP that authorities suspect that at least two of the blasts were carried out by suicide bombers.
- Sri Lanka blasts kill hundreds Global Times 21 Apr 2019 -- Chinese people are mourning the dead and injured from a series of bloody bombings that rocked Sri Lanka on Sunday, killing at least 215 people, including two Chinese nationals, and injuring 450.
- Death toll from Sri Lanka's blasts rises to 192, over 470 injured, nationwide curfew declared Global Times 21 Apr 2019 -- Multiple blasts which shook Sri Lanka on Sunday have taken lives of 192 people while more than 470 others were injured, and a curfew has been declared nationwide, Sri Lankan authorities said.
- Sri Lanka's bloody day: Hundreds of casualties in attacks on churches, hotels Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Several explosions have hit three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka, reportedly leaving at least 207 people dead and 450 others wounded, police say.
- Sudan Delegation to Visit US to Discuss Removal from Terror List VOA 21 Apr 2019 -- A Sudanese delegation is expected to visit the United States for talks aimed at getting Sudan removed from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism.
- Sudan junta ruler 'committed to handing power to civilians' Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's military ruler General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan says the transitional military council he heads is committed to transferring power to a civilian body, as a deadline set by protesters for the formation of a civilian council arrives.
- Junta expands purge as Sudan plans to unveil civilian rule Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Sudanese authorities have arrested several top members of ousted President Omar al-Bashir's ruling party in a bid to mollify protesters who are pushing for a civilian rule.
- Military Council Head Confirms Sudan's Ex-President in Prison - Reports Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's former President Omar Bashir was the president for almost 30 years. In mid-April, he was detained by the country's military and transferred to a maximum security prison in Khartoum. According to the latest reports, huge amounts of cash were found in his residence, which may have served as the basis for the corruption charges against him.
- Inside The Soviet KGB's Secret War On Western Books RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- In November 1979, Vital Fedorchuk, head of the Ukraine branch of the Soviet KGB, wrote a top-secret memo to the head of the republic's Central Committee, warning of a grave plot by Western security agencies to undermine the Soviet Union.
- Malicious claim for CIA to declare Huawei gets funds from PLA Global Times 21 Apr 2019 -- Claims that China's Huawei Technologies is funded by Chinese security agencies are groundless, morally malicious and show a lack of understanding about how the world's tech giant is operated and managed. The claims also reflect ongoing efforts of the US to crack down on the advanced global 5G player, which are in line with Washington's zero-sum game approach, industry insiders said Sunday.
- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan in Iran on 1st historic visit Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has started his first historic visit to Iran following arrival in the northeastern Iranian city of Mashhad.
- US 'futile' threat playing into IRGC popularity: Iran military chief Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Washington's threat against the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) through designating it as a "terrorist" organization is rooted in "anger" and a "strategic dead-end" the administration of President Donald Trump is facing, Iran's military chief says.
- In central Saudi Arabia, 4 assailants killed in attack on police station Press TV 21 Apr 2019 -- Four attackers have been killed in an assault on a police station in Saudi Arabia's central province of Riyadh.
- China launches new BeiDou satellite People's Daily 21 Apr 2019 -- China sent a new satellite of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) into space from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Sichuan Province at 10:41 p.m. Saturday.
- 1st Manned Flight of Dragon 2 to ISS Postponed Due to Accident in Tests – Source Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- The first manned flight of Dragon 2 spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS) has been put off due to an accident that occurred during the tests, a source in the aerospace industry told Sputnik.
- SpaceX Says 'Anomaly' Happened During Fire Tests of Crew Dragon's Abort Engines Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- US aerospace manufacturer SpaceX said on Sunday that an "anomaly" had occurred during static fire tests for the abort engines of its Crew Dragon spacecraft.
- Turkish AKP Files New Appeal Against Istanbul Mayoral Election Results - Reports Sputnik 21 Apr 2019 -- Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) filed on Saturday a new appeal with the Supreme Election Council in order to cancel the results of the Istanbul mayoral election and call a new vote, local media reported, citing AKP Deputy Chairman Ali Ihsan Yavuz.
- Runoff Expected In North Macedonia Presidential Poll RFE/RL 21 Apr 2019 -- Voting has ended in North Macedonia, where three candidates competed on April 21 to become the small Western Balkan nation's president.
- Egypt Referendum on Extending Sissi's Rule Riddled with Irregularities VOA 21 Apr 2019 -- As voters lined up outside the polls in Cairo Saturday, music blared and some among the crowds danced and waved Egyptian flags.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|