04 March 2019 Military News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 04 Mar 2019 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Qatar Appears Upbeat About US-Taliban Talks VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- Qatar's foreign minister Monday appeared upbeat about "a successful" conclusion of negotiations his country is hosting between the United States and the Taliban to help find a political settlement to the war in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fort Hood Soldiers put the Army's latest robot to the test Army News 04 Mar 2019 -- Chemical, engineer, and explosive ordnance disposal unit Soldiers are joining a National Guard Civil Support Team to put the Army's latest robotic system to the test.
- Expedited weapon delivery to Senegal proves process Army News 04 Mar 2019 -- A foreign military sales case that provided M4 carbines to partner country Senegal shows the FMS process is flexible and can be tailored to fit the need.
- USS Porter Resumes 6th FDNF Patrol NNS 04 Mar 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) departed Naval Station Rota, Spain, to resume its sixth forward-deployed naval forces patrol in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations, Mar. 4.
- HSC-25 Aids Cruise Ship Passenger NNS 04 Mar 2019 -- Sailors from the Guam-based "Island Knights" of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 25 provided emergency assistance to a cruise passenger in distress early Monday, March 4.
- US Marines Want Long-Range Anti-Ship Missiles to Aid Navy in 'Maritime Fight' Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- The US Marine Corps recently revealed that it's looking to obtain a long-range, anti-ship cruise missile in order to expand its naval warfare capabilities and offer a hand to the US Navy during joint operations.
- AFSFC begins delivery of new Air Force-wide handgun US Air Force 04 Mar 2019 -- The Air Force Security Forces Center, in partnership with the Air Force Small Arms Program Office, has begun fielding the new M18 SIG Sauer Modular Handgun System to security forces units as part of the Reconstitute Defender Initiative and its effort to modernize weapon systems and increase warfighter lethality.
- Air Force sharpens competitive edge with roadmap to reform US Air Force 04 Mar 2019 -- The Air Force released its first business operations plan, March 4, establishing a roadmap for reform and improvement in its practices and processes.
- With 15,000 Personnel, Trump's Space Force Would Be Smallest Service Yet Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Legislation proposed by the Pentagon to establish a framework for the creation and development of the US Space Force shows the service would have a budget of $2 billion over the next five years and employ about 15,000 service members ‒ by far the smallest US service branch.
- U.S, South Korea launch joint military exercise SPA 04 Mar 2019 -- The United States and South Korea began a new, smaller-scale joint military exercise on Monday, to replace their springtime Key Resolve drills, according to Korea's Yonhap news agency.
- Trump defends ending joint drills with S Korea amid failure in Hanoi Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- US President Donald Trump is defending his decision to end large-scale military exercises with South Korea amid failure to negotiate with the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un.
- With Military Exercises Canceled in S. Korea, Experts Express Concern About Impact VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- The United States and South Korea announced the cancelation of two annual large-scale military drills in an effort to "achieve complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
- President Putin suspends Russia's participation in INF over US 'violations' Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree that suspends his country's participation in the landmark Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), a key Cold War-era nuclear arms-control agreement with the United States, over US "violations," the Kremlin says.
- Putin Officially Suspends Russia's Participation In INF Treaty With U.S. RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- The Kremlin says President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree suspending Russia's participation in a key Cold War-era nuclear arms-control agreement with the United States.
- Putin Orders to Suspend INF Treaty Until US Stops Violating Deal Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree on the suspension of Russia's participation in the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), the Kremlin press service reported on Monday.
- Russian Military Mulls Angara-A5 Heavy Rocket for Satellite Launches - Source Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is planning to use the Angara-A5 heavy-class carrier rockets to launch satellites from the Vostochny space center in Russia's Far East, a Russian space industry source told Sputnik.
- Australia to Expand Military Activity in Space – Report Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- An Australian Air Force chief said Canberra should exploit its geography to increase its presence in space, admitting however that the country lags behind the world's superpowers.
- China poses no threat to any country Global Times 04 Mar 2019 -- China's limited defense spending to safeguard its national sovereignty, security and territorial integrity poses no threat to any other country, a spokesperson for the annual session of the country's national legislature said Monday.
- China's limited defense spending poses no threat to any other country: spokesperson Global Times 04 Mar 2019 -- China's limited defense spending, which is for safeguarding its national sovereignty, security and territorial integrity, poses no threat to any other country, a spokesperson for the annual session of the country's national legislature said Monday.
- China's military trainer aircraft gets ready to enter civil aviation market People's Daily 04 Mar 2019 -- The CJ-6, originally a Chinese military trainer aircraft designed and built by Hongdu Aircraft Industry Group, has won approval to be transformed for use in the civilian aviation industry.
- Committed to Tel Aviv regime, US deploys THAAD to Israel for 1st time Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- The Pentagon has for the first time deployed its most advanced missile system in Israel, hailing the move as Washington's "continued commitment" to the security of the regime in Tel Aviv.
- US Deploys THAAD Missile System to Israel Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- The United States military deployed a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-ballistic missile battery to Israel, European Command (EUCOM) said in a statement on Monday.
- Israel pushing for Africa foothold with military training: Report Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- A report says Israeli commandos are training local forces in more than a dozen African nations where Israeli arms exporters are already accused of being complicit in war crimes.
- IDF Provides Military Training to African States in Bid to Boost Ties - Report Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has visited several African countries in recent years in a bid to improve diplomatic relations with them as part of his broader foreign policy.
- First batch of French-made Rafael jets to arrive in India in September Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- India says it will induct French-made Rafale fighter jets into its air force later this year, amid heightened military tensions with Pakistan, which saw the two nuclear-armed neighbors target each other's warplanes last week.
- Modi Lashes Out at Opposition After Rafale Jets Remark Amid Row With Pakistan Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- While Indian Prime Minister Modi has accused the Opposition of delaying the induction of Rafale fighter jets into the Indian Air Force by creating unnecessary controversy over the deal, opposition leader Rahul Gandhi said it was Modi who had delayed the induction for the benefit of his businessmen friends.
- India, Russia to Sign $3.3Bln Nuclear Submarine Deal on 7 March - Report Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Sources told Sputnik that one of the several incomplete Soviet-era Akula hulls mothballed at the Zvezdochka shipyard in Severodvinsk would undergo a deep refit and rebuild, to be fitted with Indian sensors, operation room electronics, and communication equipment before being delivered to India in or before 2025.
- Missile building, just an example of Iran's developments: FM IRNA 04 Mar 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Monday that Iran is not dependent on others in any area and that building missiles is just one example of the developments made by the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Iran chief of staff urges deterrence promotion IRNA 04 Mar 2019 -- The chief of staff of Armed Forces of Iran urged the researchers in the field of defense on Monday to devise a new road map to be able to produce more deterrent power to heighten Islamic Establishment's authority more than before.
- Iran's missile self-sufficiency angers US, some Western countries: FM Zarif Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States and some Western countries are angry with Iran, because the Islamic Republic has become self-sufficient in its missile industry.
- US Takes Claims of Pak's 'Misuse' of F-16 in Dogfight With Indian MIG Seriously Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Under a deal with the United States, Pakistan is only entitled to use the US-built fighter jets for counterterrorism operations, but India has accused Islamabad of violating the agreement and downing an Indian warplane during a dogfight over the Line of Control in Kashmir in late February. Pakistan, in turn, denies having deployed any F-16s.
- Turkey to Introduce New High-Accuracy Software for Military Anti-PKK Drones Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu, while revealing a new drone operating system during an event in the country's capital city of Ankara, noted that the number of Kurdistan Workers' Party's members is at a historic low level.
- Qatar: Arms deal with Russia 'none of Saudi business' Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Qatar has told the Saudi regime not to meddle in its potential arms purchases from Russia, stressing that such a deal is none of Riyadh's business.
- Norway Hopeful to Set Sunken Frigate Afloat in Six Weeks Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- The massive 10-metre long gash in the hull of the KMN Helge Ingstad, which dramatically sank in November 2018 after colliding with a tanker in wake of the NATO drill Trident Juncture, will be sealed using pre-ordered steel plates.
- MiG-29 Crashes in Poland, Pilot Reportedly Injured Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- A Polish Air Force fighter MiG-29 has crashed in the woods, causing a fire, that has already been extinguished, the radio station RMF FM reported.
- EU Faces Security Challenges in Migration Control VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- The bombing of a barracks housing 250 Spanish soldiers in Mali was narrowly averted last week when vans containing about a ton of explosives were stopped short of the gates by guards firing machine guns.
- 4 March 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Mar 2019
- Bomb attacks kill dozens of Saudi mercenaries in Jizan, Najran: Report Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Dozens of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have lost their lives when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched a series of separate bomb attacks against their positions in the kingdom's border regions.
- Syrian army attacks militant posts in Hama to avenge troops' deaths Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have carried out a major mop-up operation against foreign-backed Takfiri militants in the country's west-central province of Hama to avenge troop casualties during a recent ambush by the extremists.
- SDF: IS Using Suicide Attacks, Civilians to Slow Advance on Baghuz VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- In eastern Syria, U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) say Islamic State is trying to slow the attack on the terror group's last scrap of territory in the town of Baghuz by using snipers, suicide bombers and civilians as human shields.
- Lull in Fighting Lets Islamic State Families Flee, Fighters Surrender VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- Hundreds of Islamic State fighters and family members fled the northeastern Syrian village of Baghuz, taking advantage of a pause in ferocious fighting with the U.S.-backed forces that have surrounded the last patch of the terror group's self-declared caliphate.
- PLO slams merger of US consulate with embassy in Jerusalem al-Quds Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- The Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) has slammed Washington's move to merge the US consulate with its embassy in the occupied Jerusalem al-Quds, denouncing the decision as "the last nail in the coffin of the US administration" with regard to its role in sponsoring the so-called Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
- Israeli warplanes launch new airstrike on northern Gaza Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Israeli jet fighters have launched a fresh airstrike against one of the positions of the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas in the east of Beit Hanoun, a city on the northeast of the besieged Gaza Strip.
- Indian Jets Reportedly Down Pakistani Drone Near Bilateral Border Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- The tensions between Islamabad and New Delhi were exacerbated following the shooting down of an Indian MiG-21 by the Pakistan Air Force. The downing came in response to a recent airstrike by the Indian Air Force on an alleged terrorist camp in Pakistan.
- India Reportedly Drops Payload in Pakistan in Another Airspace Violation Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Pakistani media reports suggest that the Indian Air Force has conducted another air strike after violating Pakistani air space amid comments of Indian Air Cheif B.S. Dhanoa on Monday morning that operations are still ongoing.
- Indian, Pakistani Troops Trade Fire in Kashmir After Brief Ceasefire - Ministry Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Indian and Pakistani troops have exchanged fire in the disputed Kashmir region after a brief lull since a dangerous escalation between the two countries that erupted last week, Indian Defence Ministry spokesman Lieut. Col. Devender Anand has stated.
- US: Gulf Countries Helped Ease India-Pakistan Tensions VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- The United States says it used its allies across the world, particularly those in the Gulf, to help defuse tensions between India and Pakistan, after military skirmishes between the nuclear-armed neighbors last week raised fears of a war.
- Ukraine Elections Mark Another Stage in Break From Russia VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- The Kremlin had hoped that by fomenting a separatist insurgency in east Ukraine's Donbas region, Ukraine could be snapped back into the Russian orbit, but the strategy appears to have backfired, say analysts.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Ukraine The White House 04 Mar 2019
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 04 Mar 2019
- Defiant Opposition Leader Returns to Venezuela Despite Threat of Arrest VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- Venezuelan opposition leader and U.S.-recognized interim President Juan Guaido returned safely to Caracas on Monday, despite concerns he would be arrested for violating a travel ban imposed by the government of President Nicolas Maduro.
- Mike Pence warns of 'swift response' to any threats against Venezuelan opposition leader Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- US Vice President Mike Pence has warned of a "swift response" to any threats or violence against Venezuela's opposition leader Juan Guaido upon his return to the country as the face of a US-led campaign to oust democratically elected President Nicolas Maduro.
- Guaido 'to return' to Venezuela, risks arrest over defying travel ban Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Venezuela's opposition leader Juan Guaido say he is set to r-enter the country, where he could be arrested by the authorities in Caracas for violating a travel ban imposed on him by the Supreme Court.
- Cuban Leader Rebukes US Plan to Create Anti-Maduro Coalition Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Cuban leader Miguel Diaz-Canel, who backs the Venezuelan legitimate president, on Monday slammed US National Security Adviser John Bolton over continued attempts to topple Nicolas Maduro.
- Guaido Arrives in Venezuela After Warning Maduro Against 'Kidnapping' Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Guaido left Venezuela on 22 February defying a travel ban by Venezuela's Supreme Court. He announced his return to his homeland on 4 March following a trip across Latin America.
- 'Significant Response': Bolton Warns Against Attempts to Prevent Guaido Return Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- US National Security Advisor John Bolton said Sunday that any attempt to prevent the safe return of Venezuela's self-proclaimed interim president Juan Guaido would meet "strong and significant response" from Washington.
- Interim President Juan Guaido's Return to Venezuela US Dept. of State 04 Mar 2019 -- "The United States applauds the people of Venezuela for their actions to create a peaceful democratic transition, and congratulates Interim President Juan Guaido on his successful diplomatic efforts in the region and safe return to Venezuela."
- Russia to help Venezuela solve socio-economic problems: parliament leader People's Daily 04 Mar 2019 -- Russia will continue to assist Venezuela in resolving its socio-economic problems, including providing humanitarian assistance, Federation Council Speaker Valentina Matviyenko said Sunday.
- Guaido Announces Venezuelan Opposition Actions After Latin American Trip Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- Self-Proclaimed Venezuela's interim president Juan Guaido revealed Sunday on his twitter account further steps of the country's opposition, saying that during his recent Latin American tour he managed to gain enough support among neighboring states.
- House Democrats Launch Wide-Ranging Trump Investigations VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives launched a wide-ranging investigation Monday of President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign, his businesses, his transition to power and whether as president he has obstructed justice to thwart probes of him.
- US lawmakers demand Trump-Putin communications by March 15 Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Three key House chairmen are giving the White House until March 15 to turn over all communications between US President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, regardless of their classifications.
- US House Democrats make 81 document requests in Trump obstruction probe Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- US House Democrats have served document requests on 81 government agencies, entities and individuals with ties to President Donald Trump, launching a comprehensive investigation into possible obstruction of justice, corruption and abuse of power by President Donald Trump
- U.S. Lawmakers Demand Files From Dozens of Trump-Linked Associates RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- U.S. lawmakers have demanded records, files, and correspondence from dozens of individuals directly and indirectly connected to President Donald Trump, as part of a sweeping investigation into White House ties with Russia.
- Multibillion-Dollar Money-Laundering Scheme Run By Russia's Largest Private Investment Bank Uncovered, Report Says RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- An almost $9 billion global money-laundering scheme allegedly set up and run by Russia's largest private investment bank and having close ties to the country's ruling elite has been uncovered by the Sarajevo-based Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).
- The Troika Laundromat: Five Quick Takeaways RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- With the financial world reeling from the news that an almost $9 billion global money-laundering scheme was allegedly set up and run by Russia's largest private investment bank, here are five quick takeaways based on what we know so far from the revelations published by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).
- 'Troika Laundromat' Accusations Cast Millionaire Vardanyan In New Light RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- Few have ever questioned the generosity of Russian-Armenian businessman Ruben Vardanyan, who has given away hundreds of millions of dollars in charitable donations and social investments since emerging as a leading post-Soviet entrepreneur in the 1990s.
- UN atomic watchdog chief updates governing body on key North Korean reactor UN News 04 Mar 2019 -- IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said that the agency was continuing to monitor activities around North Korea's Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Centre, which according to news reports is believed to have supplied plutonium for DPRK's nuclear weapons programme, and was a central issue in talks that broke up without agreement last week in Vietnam, between United States President, Donald Trump, and North Korea's Kim Jong Un.
- IAEA head Amano reaffirms Iran's compliance with nuclear deal Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has once again reaffirmed Iran's compliance with its nuclear-related commitments under a 2015 deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- IAEA Chief: Iran implementing its JCPOA commitments IRNA 04 Mar 2019 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reiterated the fact that Iran is implementing its commitments under the nuclear deal, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran implementing its commitments under JCPOA: Amano ISNA 04 Mar 2019 -- Iran is implementing its nuclear-related commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and it is essential that Iran continues to fully implement those commitments, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Yukiya Amano said on Monday.
- Iran FM spox: Europe mission on INSTEX to visit Iran IRNA 04 Mar 2019 -- The spokesman of Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bahram Qasemi said in his weekly press conference on Monday that a European delegation is to visit Tehran to discuss Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX).
- European delegation to visit Iran to meet officials over INSTEX ISNA 04 Mar 2019 -- A European delegation in charge of Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges, known as INSTEX will visit Tehran in the near future to discuss the issue with Iranian officials, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi announced.
- Don't waste time with Europe: Leader advised government Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei never trusted Europeans with their pledge to save the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, a new video clip released on Monday shows.
- Iran's Khamenei Says Tehran Should Not Bet on Europe in Battling US Sanctions Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- After a series of penalties were re-imposed on Iran following the US' JCPOA pull-out, Washington started pushing Tehran for a new accord with a new set of conditions; however, other signatories to the deal, namely China, Russia, France, the UK, and Germany, have insisted that Tehran should stick to the agreement.
- Don't rely on EU package for resolving economic issues: Ayatollah Khamenei ISNA 04 Mar 2019 -- In a meeting with the cabinet members on July 15, 2018, the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Khamenei made important statements regarding the European Commission's support package for Iran. These statements are published for the first time by Khamenei.ir.
- Zarif: IAEA's verification counters Israel, US lies Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United Nations nuclear watchdog's verification for the 14th time of Iran's continued commitment to its nuclear deal with world countries flies in the face of Israeli and American "lies."
- Iran expels Dutch diplomats in reciprocal move: FM Zarif Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the country has declared two Dutch diplomats persona non grata in reaction to the Netherland's "illegal" expulsion of two Iranian diplomats on false accusations.
- Netherlands Recalls Iran Envoy Amid Dispute RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- The Netherlands' foreign minister says he has recalled the country's ambassador to Iran for "consultations" after Tehran expelled two Dutch diplomats amid escalating tensions between the two countries.
- Pompeo Promises 'Significant Announcement' on US-China Trade Talks VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is expressing optimism that trade talks with China aimed at ending tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars worth of products will be successful.
- Strong Resistance to Trade Deal Brewing in China VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- Even as China and the United States are working to finalize a trade agreement, Beijing is grappling with the challenge of building political consensus about implementing and enforcing the deal on the ground.
- Secret CIA Docs Claim Pakistani Intel Funded JeM's Predecessor Before bin Laden Sputnik 04 Mar 2019 -- The outfit was initially sponsored by Pakistan and then later gravitated towards Osama bin Laden when it was in need of more funds.
- Secretary Enacts 30-Day Suspension of Title III (LIBERTAD Act) With an Exception US Dept. of State 04 Mar 2019
- Senior State Department Official On Title III of the LIBERTAD Act US Dept. of State 04 Mar 2019
- EU Extends Asset Freeze On Ex-President Yanukovych, 11 Other Ukrainians RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- The European Union has extended asset freezes on former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and 11 other Ukrainians suspected of embezzling state funds.
- Poroshenko Fires Close Ally Amid Smuggling Scandal RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- Ukraine's president has fired his close ally Oleh Hladkovskyy from the post of the first deputy chairman of the National Security and Defense Council amid allegations that Hladkovskyy's son was involved in smuggling spare parts of military equipment from Russia.
- North Macedonia's Social Democrats Nominate Pendarovski As Presidential Candidate RFE/RL 04 Mar 2019 -- North Macedonia's left-wing ruling Social Democratic Union (SDSM) has nominated the country's coordinator for NATO membership as its candidate for the largely ceremonial post of president.
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 04 Mar 2019
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Zimbabwe The White House 04 Mar 2019
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|