05 November 2018 Military News
- At Least 13 Afghan Security Personnel Killed By Taliban Attack On Ghazni Checkpoint RFE/RL 05 Nov 2018 -- Afghan officials say at least 13 members of Afghanistan's security forces have been killed in a battle in Ghazni Province about 150 kilometers southwest of Kabul.
- Mixed Reactions to Pakistani Cleric's Death VOA 05 Nov 2018 -- Reactions are mixed in Pakistan Monday over the assassination of Maulana Sami-ul-Haq, a top Pakistani Islamic cleric, regarded as the "Taliban's Father" because of his influence over insurgents in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 388th Fighter Wing completes combat exercise AFNS 05 Nov 2018 -- The 388th Fighter Wing's 4th Fighter Squadron and 4th Aircraft Maintenance Unit recently completed a combat exercise where they tested and evaluated their capabilities to operate the F-35A Lightning II in a deployed environment.
- Advising at the corps and below, Soldiers ensure Afghans are ready to fight Army News 05 Nov 2018 -- On a brief trip to see their friends again, a group of advisors inside UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters descended onto this Afghan National Army base.
- Warships Underway for First East Coast Cruiser-Destroyer SWATT Exercise NNS 05 Nov 2018 -- Warships from USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Carrier Strike Group (CSG) and other Norfolk-based cruiser-destroyer (CRUDES) units departed Naval Station Norfolk for the first east coast CRUDES surface warfare advanced tactical training (SWATT) exercise, Nov. 2.
- Future USS Sioux City to arrive in Annapolis for Commissioning NNS 05 Nov 2018 -- The future USS Sioux City (LCS 11) will arrive in Annapolis, Maryland, Nov. 11, in advance of the ship's commissioning ceremony.
- USNS Comfort Begins Mission in Peru NNS 05 Nov 2018 -- A team comprised of more than 900 personnel, embarked aboard the hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), commenced their second mission stop, in Paita, Peru, as part of U.S. Southern Command's Enduring Promise initiative, Oct. 30.
- US, Bangladesh Navy Commence CARAT Exercise NNS 05 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. and Bangladesh Navy kicked off exercise Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) in Chittagong, Bangladesh, Nov. 4.
- U.S. EP-3 Intercepted in the Black Sea NNS 05 Nov 2018 -- On Nov. 5, 2018, a U.S. EP-3 Aries aircraft flying in international airspace over the Black Sea was intercepted by a Russian SU-27. This interaction was determined to be unsafe due to the SU-27 conducting a high speed pass directly in front of the mission aircraft, putting at risk the pilots and crew. The intercepting SU-27 made an additional pass, closing with the EP-3 and applying its afterburner while conducting a banking turn away. The crew of the EP-3 reported turbulence following the first interaction, and vibrations from the second. The duration of the intercept was approximately 25 minutes.
- Russian Su-27 Intercepts US Navy Spy Aircraft Over Black Sea Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- Moscow has denied US claims that one of its planes was intercepted over the Black Sea by an Su-27 jet in an "unsafe manner." According to the official statement, the pilot followed the safety procedures in his actions.
- S.Korea, U.S. resume battalion-level joint marine drills in 6 months People's Daily 05 Nov 2018 -- Marine forces of South Korea and the United States on Monday resumed their battalion-level joint drills, which had been suspended for the past six months amid the peace efforts on the Korean Peninsula, according to local media reports citing the South Korean defense ministry.
- Iran Stages Massive Air Drills as US Sanctions Return – Reports Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- Iran launched large-scale air drills on Monday just as the United States re-imposed sanctions that were scrapped under a nuclear deal three years ago, Iranian media said.
- New missile system tested in 'Velayat 97' drills IRNA 05 Nov 2018 -- The new ground to air missile system 'Endeavor' was tested successfully on the first day of 'Velayat 97' drills, destroying targets in the sky at different distances.
- Iranian air forces maneuver commences IRNA 05 Nov 2018 -- The air maneuver started on Monday morning and is underway in the vast regions in north central and western Iran, covering around 500,000 square kilometers.
- Iran kicks off joint air defense drill "Velayat 97" ISNA 05 Nov 2018 -- The joint air defense drill codenamed "Velayat 97" kicked off on Monday in vast regions in north central and western Iran, covering 500,000 square kilometres.
- UK Armed Forces Can't Afford Own $242 Billion Defense Equipment Plan Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- British National Audit Office (NAO) has identified a gaping $9 billion hole in the Defense Ministry's budget.
- UK Set to Open Major Permanent Base in Middle East – Reports Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- British Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson made the announcement after joining over 5,500 British troops in Oman in their largest war games exercise in nearly two decades.
- UK defense could face £15bn budget shortfall in 10 years Press TV 05 Nov 2018 -- A new report has projected that Britain's Ministry of Defense (MoD) could face a gap of £15 billion (less than $20 billion) in a matter of a decade if it fails to prioritize its programs for production of modern military equipment.
- UK cements position in Gulf with new joint base in Oman UK MOD 05 Nov 2018 -- The UK is cementing its deep and special relationship with Oman for generations to come with the opening of a new Omani-British Joint Training Base.
- Armed Forces to step up Commonwealth recruitment UK MOD 05 Nov 2018 -- Britain's Armed Forces are to step up their long-held global links, by increasing the number of recruits from Commonwealth countries.
- India's Nuclear Triad Complete With Domestically Built Submarine's First Patrol Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- The first vessel of the Arihant-class of submarines was commissioned in 2016, completing India's nuclear triad. The ship can carry up to 12 nuclear missiles on board.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure The White House 05 Nov 2018
- Remarks by President Trump Upon Arrival in Indiana | Fort Wayne, IN The White House 05 Nov 2018
- 5 November 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 05 Nov 2018
- Saudi jet fighters bombard Al Hudaydah 80 times IRNA 05 Nov 2018 -- The Saudi warplanes have bombarded the city of Al Hudaydah, Yemen 80 times over the past few hours, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported on Monday morning.
- Britain pushes for UN peace resolution on Yemen conflict Press TV 05 Nov 2018 -- British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has indicted his country is pushing for a resolution in the United Nations Security Council that could guarantee the end of the Saudi war in Yemen.
- Israel Sheds Light on Contacts With Russian Military After Il-20 Downing Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- Israeli and Russian military maintain contacts after the downing of the Russian Il-20 plane off the Syrian coast, and the conflict prevention mechanism remains operational, Deputy Director General of the Israeli Foreign Ministry Alexander Ben-Zvi stated.
- Ending use of chemical weapons in Syria: 'still work to be done', says UN disarmament chief UN News 05 Nov 2018 -- As inspections and investigations continue into several reported instances of chemical weapons use against civilians in Syria, the United Nations High Representative on Disarmament Affairs, Izumi Nakamitsu, told the Security Council on Monday that much remains to be done to end their use, and called for international unity.
- Trump, Kremlin Say Substantive Meeting 'Unlikely' In Paris RFE/RL 05 Nov 2018 -- Both U.S. President Donald Trump and the Kremlin now say that Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin are unlikely to hold a substantive meeting in Paris on November 11.
- Pompeo Reveals Countries Exempt From Iran Oil Sanctions Sputnik 05 Nov 2018 -- Washington has vowed to impose the "toughest" sanctions ever against Tehran starting November 5, 2018 after withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal earlier in the year. At the same time, the US revealed eight states that would be allowed to do business with Iran for a certain period of time.
- Iran to file case against recent cyber attack: Minister IRNA 05 Nov 2018 -- Iran's Minister of Communications said on Monday that the recent cyber attack on Iranian infrastructure will be followed up in international courts.
- Iran ready to work with Europe in probe into assassination plot ISNA 05 Nov 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi says the Islamic Republic has expressed its preparedness for all-out cooperation with Norway, Sweden, and Denmark to find the truth behind the recent assassination plots falsely blamed on Iran.
- Denmark anti-Iran claim about terror attack, Mossad plot: FM Zarif Press TV 05 Nov 2018 -- Iran has decisively rejected Denmark's claims that an Iranian intelligence service had tried to carry out an assassination plot on the Danish soil, saying the Israeli spy agency, Mossad, was behind such allegations.
- Iran Accuses Israel Of Attempting Cyberattack RFE/RL 05 Nov 2018 -- Iran has accused Israel of launching a failed cyberattack against its communications systems.
- Iran Blames Israel For Alleged Denmark Murder Plot RFE/RL 05 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmud Alavi has claimed that an alleged Iranian plot to kill an opposition activist in Denmark was an Israeli conspiracy aimed at damaging Tehran's relations with the European Union.
- U.S. Vows 'Relentless' Pressure On Iran As Sanctions Take Effect RFE/RL 05 Nov 2018 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned that the United States will exert "relentless" pressure on Iran unless it behaves "like a normal country."
- Press Availability With Secretary of Treasury Steven T. Mnuchin US Dept. of State 05 Nov 2018 -- Press Availability by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Constraining Iran's Nuclear Program US Dept. of State 05 Nov 2018 -- Fact Sheet
- U.S. Government Fully Re-Imposes Sanctions on the Iranian Regime As Part of Unprecedented U.S. Economic Pressure Campaign US Treasury 05 Nov 2018 -- Today, in its largest ever single-day action targeting the Iranian regime, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned more than 700 individuals, entities, aircraft, and vessels. This action is a critical part of the re-imposition of the remaining U.S. nuclear-related sanctions that were lifted or waived in connection with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Sri Lanka Speaker Rejects Rajapaksa As New Prime Minister VOA 05 Nov 2018 -- Sri Lanka's speaker of parliament said he cannot accept Mahinda Rajapaksa, the country's former president and strongman, as the new prime minister.
- Khashoggi's body parts transported in suitcases IRNA 05 Nov 2018 -- Jamal Khashoggi's body was dismembered and put into five suitcases after he was strangled upon entering Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul last month, according to a report by a Turkish pro-government newspaper.
- Saudi Arabia expresses 'regret and pain' over Khashoggi killing, during UN rights review UN News 05 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia expressed "regret and pain" for the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, during a scheduled review session at the UN in Geneva on Monday, while asserting its commitment to achieving the "highest possible standards" in human rights in the country, including for women and migrants
- Taiwan interested in drone choppers, mines from U.S. CNA 05 Nov 2018 -- Taiwan's military is hoping to purchase MQ-8 Fire Scout unmanned helicopters and Mk-62 Quickstrike Mines from the United States, a senior official said Monday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|