20 October 2018 Military News
- 32 civilians killed in US-led coalition strikes in east Syria IRNA 20 Oct 2018 -- Air strikes by the US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State jihadist group in eastern Syria have killed at least 32 civilians in less than 24 hours, a monitor said Friday.
- Amidst deadly violence, UN calls on Afghan authorities to ensure voters can cast ballot UN News 20 Oct 2018 -- Against a backdrop of violence and technical malfunctions, the UN Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has released a statement calling on the country's electoral authorities to re-double their efforts to make sure all eligible voters are given a reasonable opportunity to cast their ballot.
- Taliban starts terror attacks as election begins in Afghanistan IRNA 20 Oct 2018 -- According to Afghan local officials, Taliban has started terror attacks on voting centers in Ghor Province, central Afghanistan as the parliamentary elections began in the country on Saturday.
- Afghan elections hit by multiple blasts, chaos, delays Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Afghanistan's long-delayed parliamentary elections dissolve into chaos as blasts rock polling centers across Kabul, forcing authorities to extend voting in some constituencies to Sunday.
- Afghan Elections Hit By Violence, Problems At Voting Stations RFE/RL 20 Oct 2018 -- Polls have closed in Afghanistan's long-delayed parliamentary elections, with voting marred by deadly attacks and chaotic scenes at polling stations hit by technical and organizational problems.
- Afghans Count Ballots After Deadly, Chaotic Election; Voting Extended RFE/RL 20 Oct 2018 -- Afghan officials are counting ballots in the country's long-delayed parliamentary elections that were marred by deadly attacks and chaotic scenes at polling stations hit by technical and organizational problems.
- Afghanistan Delays Vote at Some Polling Stations as Blasts Kill 44 - Reports Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Voting at polling stations that remained closed Saturday over security concerns in Afghanistan will be delayed until Sunday, the chief of the national election commission told 1TV channel.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Surface Mine Warfighting Development Center Hosts Self-Defense Fleet, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force NNS 20 Oct 2018 -- Leaders from the Self-Defense Fleet, Japan Maritime Self- Defense Force (JMSDF SF) recently visited the Naval Surface Mine Warfighting Development Center (SMWDC) to discuss the Warfare Tactics Instructor (WTI) Program and SMWDC initiatives.
- USS Constitution Celebrates 221 Years Underway NNS 20 Oct 2018 -- USS Constitution and its crew headed underway from the ship's berth in Charlestown, Massachusetts, Oct. 19, in commemoration of the ship's launching 221 years ago on Oct. 21, 1787, and is celebrating the U.S. Navy's 243rd birthday.
- USS New York Arrives in Reykjavik, Iceland NNS 20 Oct 2018 -- The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock ship USS New York (LPD 21) arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland, for a scheduled port visit Oct. 17.
- Bolton Visiting Russia Amid Reports U.S. Might Withdraw From Nuclear Treaty RFE/RL 20 Oct 2018 -- White House national security adviser John Bolton leaves on a trip to Russia and the Caucasus on October 20 amid reports that Washington is moving toward withdrawing from a bedrock Cold War-era nuclear arms control treaty that it has accused Russia of violating.
- Trump Vows to Quit Nuclear Arms Treaty With Russia Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said that he will pull out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty with Russia, media reported.
- SecDef Designates Chief Trial Judge DoD 19 Oct 2018 -- Secretary of Defense James Mattis designated Army Col. Douglas Watkins as Chief Judge for the Military Commissions Trial Judiciary, Oct. 17.
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 19 Oct 2018
- US invents new 'ludicrous' pretext to use sanctions against Russia: Moscow Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry says the United States is hurling "ludicrous accusations" against a Russian woman for allegedly influencing the upcoming US congressional elections, stressing that Washington is inventing a pretext to impose further sanctions against Moscow.
- Russia Says U.S. 'Fabricating Pretext' To Justify Sanctions RFE/RL 20 Oct 2018 -- Russia has accused the United States of "fabricating a pretext" to impose fresh sanctions against Russia after Washington charged a Russian of conspiring to interfere in U.S. elections.
- South Korea, US call off drill over fear of angering North Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- The US and South Korea have suspended another major joint war game, fearing it might anger North Korea which earlier this week accused Washington of an "evil" attempt to continue sanctions on Pyongyang.
- US Hints India Might Get Sanctions Waiver Over S-400 Deal if Buys F-16 – Reports Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- India is pursuing an independent security policy despite US threats to introduce sanctions over its decision to purchase the advanced S-400 air defense system from Russia.
- US Navy mulls sending ships through Taiwan Strait amid high tensions with China Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- The United States Navy is assessing the launch of a sensitive new operation sending warships through the Taiwan Strait amid heightened tensions with China.
- US Mulls Warship Passage Through Taiwan Straight Risking China's Fury Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- The United States recognizes Beijing's authority over Taiwan, but continues to maintain economic and cultural relations with the island via the American Institute in Taiwan.
- Commentary: Stop making waves in Taiwan Strait People's Daily 20 Oct 2018 -- A recent comment from U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on the Taiwan issue, part of an aggressive speech against China, was illogical and absurd, and sent the wrong signal to separatists in Taiwan.
- Air Force takes delivery of first upgraded F-16 fighter jet CNA 20 Oct 2018 -- The first upgraded F-16 fighter jet, known as the F-16 Viper or F-16V, has been delivered to the Air Force by state-owned aviation firm Aerospace Industrial Development Corp. (AIDC), an Air Force official said Saturday.
- UK starts manufacturing warplanes for Qatar Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- A production line has been inaugurated in the UK for manufacturing 24 warplanes and nine trainer aircraft that Qatar had contracted Britain to build for it last year.
- Colombian Helicopter Crash Kills Crew of 4 - Military Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- A Colombian military helicopter crashed during an anti-drug operation on Saturday, killing all four crew members on board, the country's army said in a press release.
- Iran Supplies Hezbollah With Precision Devices, US Media Report Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Iran has been supplying Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group with components required to turn its rockets into precision-guided missiles, US media reported Friday.
- Indonesia to Stick to Su-35 Deal With Russia Despite Looming US Sanctions Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Earlier reports suggested that the deal between Moscow and Jakarta could fall under the US Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), despite attempts to secure a waiver for Indonesia.
- Canadian Fighter Jets Shadow Russian Su-27 Over Black Sea - Ottawa Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- In 2016, Canada announced that it would send air force personnel and CF-18 Hornet fighter jets to train with the Romanian military.
- Remarks by President Trump at Defense Roundtable The White House 20 Oct 2018
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure The White House 20 Oct 2018
- Xi sends congratulatory messages on AG600's first water takeoff, landing People's Daily 20 Oct 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday sent congratulatory messages on the successful water takeoff and landing of the AG600, China's independently-developed large amphibious aircraft.
- Pentagon Chief: US 'Cannot Accept' China's 'Militarization' in South China Sea Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- United States Defense Secretary James Mattis reiterated Washington's position on the South China Sea Friday, calling for Japan and South Korea to work with America in the sea to prevent a singular power from dominating its waters.
- Syria demands int'l probe into US-led Coalition's attacks IRNA 20 Oct 2018 -- Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Ministry said the heinous crime committed by the illegitimate US-led Coalition in al-Sousa and al-Bubadran villages in Deir Ezzor countryside prove once again its disregard for international law.
- 62 killed in US-led coalition airstrikes on Deir Ezzor IRNA 20 Oct 2018 -- At least 62 civilians were martyred in three new massacres committed by the US-led international coalition in the villages of al-Suseh and al-Bubadran in al-Bukmal region in Deir Ezzor southern countryside.
- Russian officials discuss 'finally destroying' terrorists with Syria's Assad Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- A senior delegation representing Russia's foreign and defense ministries has met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to discuss the country's situation, specifically the 'final destruction' of terrorists.
- Russian Aerospace Forces Destroyed Over 122,000 Terrorist Targets in Syria Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces have carried out over 40,000 missions, including over 21,000 sorties during the night time, in the course of their operation in Syria, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said at the fifth ASEAN and Dialogue Partners Defense Ministers Meeting (ADMM-Plus) in Singapore.
- Some 88,000 Takfiri terrorists killed in Russian airstrikes in Syria in 3 years: Defense minister Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu says almost 88,000 foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists have been killed in Syria ever since Moscow launched its counter-terrorism airstrikes against militant redoubts in the Arab country more than three years ago.
- Daesh command center reduced to rubble in Iraq's Diyala: Report Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- A high-ranking Iraqi security official says pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units have managed to completely destroy the command center of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the Arab country's eastern province of Diyala.
- Accountability a key pillar for reconciliation in Myanmar: UN Envoy UN News 20 Oct 2018 -- Accountability and inclusive dialogue are two important pillars for national reconciliation in Myanmar, said the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General (SESG), Christine Schraner Burgener in a statement released on Saturday, adding that "credible fact-finding is the first step towards accountability."
- UN to South Sudan Rebels: Free Abducted Civilians VOA 20 Oct 2018 -- The U.N. rights chief is urging the Sudan People's Liberation Army In-Opposition to free hundreds of civilians they abducted in South Sudan's Western Equatoria region between April and August. A report by the U.N. Mission in South Sudan and the Geneva-based U.N. Human Rights Office documents horrific cases of abuse and suffering experienced by civilians in the region.
- Saudi preliminary investigations show death of missing journalist People's Daily 20 Oct 2018 -- Preliminary investigations by the Saudi Public Prosecution showed missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi died after a fight at the Saudi consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul, Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported on Saturday.
- Bin Salman sought most brutal murder for Khashoggi: Ex-FBI agent Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman wanted the planned murder for outspoken journalist Jamal Khashoggi to be as brutal as it was, says a former high-profile American intelligence officer.
- Saudi Arabia's Khashoggi explanation 'devoid of any credibility': Washington Post Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- The Washington Post has condemned US President Donald Trump for vouching for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the alleged murder case of Jamal Khashoggi.
- UK insists Khashoggi killers must be held accountable Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- The British government has insisted that it will consider action in response to the death of a Saudi journalist in Turkey, saying those who killed Jamal Khashoggi must be held into account.
- Germany condemns Khashoggi's murder, seeks transparency from Saudis Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Germany has strongly denounced the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, rejecting Riyadh's "inadequate" explanation on the death of the prominent critic.
- US lawmakers say they are skeptical of Saudi explanation on Khashoggi's death Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Several US lawmakers in Congress say they are skeptical of Saudi Arabia's explanation for the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, after Riyadh claimed he died in a "fistfight" in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
- KSA Begins Addressing Khashoggi's Case, in Transparent, Fair Approach, Derived from Islamic, Heavenly-Revealed Mother of all Codes -MWL Announces SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- Muslim World League (MWL) hailed orders issued by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and statement of the Public Prosecutor of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), respectively, on relevant officially made credible statements, following the tragic incident that claimed the life of the Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi.
- Royal Directives, Decisions Ordered by Custodian of Two Holy Mosques, Proceeding from Aiming to Realize Justice, Equality, in accordance with Shariah-Senior Ulemas' Body says SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- Directives and decision made by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, that took place, following the unfortunate incident that claimed the life of Jamal Khashoggi, may God have mercy upon him, proceed from the foundation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, cherishing achievement of justice and equality, in accordance with Shariah, the Islamic law, setting forth to hold accountable, anyone who transgresses or belittles whoever he might be, and whatsoever the circumstances and regardless of any considerations, The General Secretariat of the Council of Senior Scholars (Ulemas) explained.
- Royal Orders, Directives Underscore Sticking to Cherishing Justice Values, KSA Founded upon -Minister of Justice Says SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- Administration of justice is the permanent approach of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which will not deviate from it, as that is its main prerequisite and fundamental, Minister of Justice and Chairman of the Supreme Judicial Council Sheikh Dr. Walid bin Mohammed Al-Sama'ani said.
- Foreign Ministry: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' Directives on Regrettable, Painful Incident of Khashoggi's Death Reflect KSA's Commitment to Consolidating Justice SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- An official source at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that upon directives and decisions ordered by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud concerning the regrettable and painful incident of Jamal Khashoggi's death, which included a directive to the public prosecutor to investigate into the circumstances of Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance and the custody of the suspects to complete investigations in addition to the formation of a committee to review the relevant measures in this regard as well as the relieving of a number of officials in the concerned agency came as an extension of the State's commitment to consolidating the foundations of justice in accordance with our tolerated religion and holding all those involved accountable no matter whoever they are and dealing decisively and comprehensively with any mistake or failure, particularly concerning any citizens, regardless of any considerations.
- Royal Order Relieving Saud bin Abdullah Al-Qahtani of his Post As Advisor at Royal Court SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud issued today a royal order relieving Saud bin Abdullah Al-Qahtani of his Post as advisor at the Royal Court.
- Royal Order Terminating Services of A Number of General Intelligence's Officers SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud issued today a royal order terminating the services of a number of officers working in the General Intelligence Presidency.
- Royal Order Relieving Deputy President of General Intelligences of his Post SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saudi issued today a royal order relieving Ahmed bin Hassan bin Mohammed Assiri of his post as Deputy President of the General Intelligence.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Directs Formation of Ministerial Committee Headed by HRH Crown Prince to Restructure General Intelligence Presidency SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- Based on what has been submitted by His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the Crown Prince and President of the Council of Political and Security Affairs to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud on the urgent need to restructure the General Intelligence Presidency and modernize its regulations and regulations as well as to determine its authorities and assess the procedures and powers governing its work with its administrative and hierarchical sequence in order to ensure the proper functioning of its work and the determination of responsibilities.
- Official Source: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia takes necessary measures to clarify truth into case of citizen Jamal Khashoggi, emphasizes to hold all those involved accountable SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- An official source stated the following:
- Saudi Public Prosecutor: Preliminary Investigations into Case of Citizen Jamal Khashoggi Showed his Death SPA 20 Oct 2018 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's Public Prosecutor stated the following:
- Khashoggi Case Will Reach Court When All Requirements Are Met - Saudi Minister Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Saudi authorities announced that Jamal Khashoggi had died in a fight in the Saudi consular premises in the Turkish capital. The investigation into the case is currently underway.
- Germany, France Demand Explanation From Saudi Arabia Over Khashoggi's Death Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Germany and France have reacted to the recent announcement by the Saudi prosecutor-general regarding the death of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Mideast States Voice Support for Saudi Arabia Over Khashoggi Case Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's prosecutor general earlier announced that journalist Jamal Khashoggi had died as a result of a fight that erupted in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2. Some 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested in regards to the case. Riyadh's investigation into the case is still underway.
- Saudi Crown Prince Had No Knowledge of 'Specific' Khashoggi Operation – Reports Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Anonymous resources have said Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had no knowledge of the specific operation that resulted in the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Top Saudi Intel Official, Royal Adviser Fired Amid Khashoggi Probe Sputnik 20 Oct 2018 -- Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri, a senior adviser to Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman and official in Saudi Arabia's general intelligence directorate, has been removed from his post amid reports that he would be blamed for the killing of columnist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Norway Frees Russian Spy Suspect, As Moscow Demands Apology RFE/RL 20 Oct 2018 -- Norway has freed a Russian suspected of spying, as Moscow demanded an apology from Oslo.
- Rouhani accepts resignations of roads, industry ministers, appoints caretakers Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has accepted resignations of Minister of Roads and Urban Development Abbas Akhoundi and Minister of Industry, Mine and Trade Mohammad Shariatmadari.
- Iran demands Pakistan secure immediate release of abducted security forces Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri has demanded that Islamabad push for the release of a number of Iranian forces abducted in the southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan on the border with Pakistan.
- Iran ships major oil cargo to China before sanctions snap back Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Iran has sent a major cargo of oil to China before the re-imposition of the second round of US sanctions that will be meant to target the country's oil exports.
- Iran rejects US 'unknown delusion' of foreign interference in elections Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- Iran has dismissed the "false and baseless" claim made by the United States about Tehran's efforts to undermine US elections, including next month's midterms, saying such allegations are rooted in an "unknown delusion."
- Chinese vice premier analyzes economic, financial hot issues People's Daily 20 Oct 2018 -- Chinese Vice Premier Liu He on Friday answered questions from domestic media about economic and financial hot issues, underlining the resilience and prospect of the Chinese economy.
- Watchdogs Press Pakistan on Terror Financing VOA 20 Oct 2018 -- A delegation from the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), a global financial watchdog monitoring terror financing and money laundering, has reportedly expressed dissatisfaction with what it called inadequate measures Pakistan has taken to curb terror financing and fix anti-money-laundering laws.
- Watchdog Warns Iran Could Be Blacklisted Unless It Acts Against Terrorism Funding RFE/RL 20 Oct 2018 -- A global financial watchdog has given Iran until February to crack down on terrorism funding or risk further sanctions on its struggling economy.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|