03 October 2018 Military News
- Afghan Leader Abdullah Addresses Vision of Regional Peace VOA 03 Oct 2018 -- Afghan's Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah last week called on the United Nations and all nations to help his country in getting to "a new phase free of violence'' after more than four decades of conflict.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Army hosts competition to find next-generation technological advances Army News 03 Oct 2018 -- "Innovation is the result of critical and creative thinking and the conversion of new ideas into valued outcomes." --U.S. Army Operating Concept, 2020-2040: Win in a Complex World
- Demonstration results in policy update and optimized operations AFNS 03 Oct 2018 -- Thanks to an optimization initiative led by Air Force Operational Energy (SAF/IEN), F-35 Lightning II and F-22 Raptor fighter sorties are now requested to fly closer to the fighters' maximum range airspeed, while still within tanker boom limits, during Coronet missions. The faster speed decreases overall fuel consumption, while saving precious flight hours.
- Network Cross-Functional Team, acquisition partners experimenting to modernize tactical network Army News 03 Oct 2018 -- The Army's Network Cross-Functional Team, or N-CFT -- one of eight CFTs established to tackle the service's modernization priorities -- is tasked with narrowing capability gaps in the Army's Mission Command Network through user experimentation, assessments and technical demonstrations. The outcomes of these processes rapidly transition leader-approved capabilities into the Army Acquisition System. Direct coordination with acquisition and requirements counterparts leverages a team-of-teams approach and drives requirements validation.
- Liberian president visits Michigan National Guard to honor partnership Army News 03 Oct 2018 -- The President of Liberia, George Manneh Weah, and his Minister of Defense, Daniel Ziankahn, met with Michigan Adjutant General, Maj. Gen. Gregory Vadnais, and members of the Michigan National Guard Friday, Sept. 28 at the Joint Forces Headquarters facility in Lansing to celebrate the friendship between Michigan and Liberia.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen DoD 03 Oct 2018
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Georgia Defense Minister Levan Izoria DoD 03 Oct 2018
- First Saudi Helicopter Arrives at Naval Station Mayport NNS 03 Oct 2018 -- The first of several MH60-R Seahawk helicopters purchased by the Royal Saudi Arabian Navy arrived at Naval Station Mayport Oct. 2, 2018.
- First Royal Saudi Navy MH-60R Sensor Operator Class Graduates NNS 03 Oct 2018 -- Five students from the Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RSNF) completed the inaugural MH-60R Sensor Operator Course offered by the Naval Education and Training Security Assistance Field Activity (NETSAFA) International Training Center (NITC) Sept. 27.
- Stoltenberg Forecasts NATO Defense Minister Discussions AFPS 03 Oct 2018 -- NATO defense ministers are meeting in Brussels to implement the decisions made by alliance heads of state in July and to discuss burden sharing, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said today.
- Thirteen Allies to cooperate on the introduction of Maritime Unmanned Systems NATO 03 Oct 2018 -- At our Summit in Brussels in July, NATO leaders endorsed the implementation of NATO's reinforced maritime posture. In support of this, on Wednesday (3 October 2018), Defence Ministers from thirteen NATO Allies signed a declaration of intent to cooperate on the introduction of Maritime Unmanned Systems.
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg following the meeting of the NATO-Georgia Commission (NGC) in Defence Ministers' session NATO 03 Oct 2018
- Doorstep statement by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg ahead of the meetings of NATO Defence Ministers in Brussels NATO 03 Oct 2018
- NATO Chief Reiterates That Georgia Will One Day Join The Alliance RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Georgia will one day join the alliance, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said, 10 years after the Western military organization first promised the South Caucasus country it would become a member.
- 'Most Plausible Conclusion': NATO Sec Gen Alleges Russia Breached INF Treaty Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- NATO chief announced that the Defense Ministers gathered in Belgium will address "concerns about Russia's violations of the INF Treaty."
- Russian Military Recorded Over 40 ICBM, Rocket Launches in 2018 - Reports Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces have tracked over 40 launches of the country's and foreign space rockets and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) since the beginning of 2018, an infographic published by the Russian Armed Forces' official newspaper Krasnaya Zvezda showed on Friday.
- UK to send transport aircraft to provide relief to Indonesia UK MOD 03 Oct 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has agreed to deploy an A400M transport aircraft and a team of military experts to Indonesia to help with the aftermath of the recent earthquake tsunami.
- Wedgetail is on the radar, Defence Secretary announces ahead of NATO conference UK MOD 03 Oct 2018 -- Speaking ahead of this week's NATO conference, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced that the Ministry of Defence is in discussion with Boeing and the Royal Australian Air Force about the potential for the E-7 Wedgetail radar aircraft to replace the current Sentry fleet.
- Ties with China not worsening: U.S. defense secretary CNA 03 Oct 2018 -- There has been some tension in relations between the United States and China, but bilateral ties have not worsened, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Monday during a visit to France.
- Kremlin confirms: Russia to sign India S-400 deal shortly Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin will on Thursday visit India to personally oversee the signing of an important deal between Moscow and New Delhi for the purchase of five Russian S-400 missile defense systems, the Kremlin has confirmed.
- Kremlin Says Putin Will Seal $5 Billion Missile Defense Deal On Trip To India RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- A key achievement of Russian President Vladimir Putin on a trip to India this week will be the signing of a $5 billion deal to supply India with S-400 air-defense systems, a top Kremlin aide has said.
- India Hopes for Early Conclusion of $19 Billion Contract for 110 Fighter Jets Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- The Indian Air Force is waiting for the government's nod before formally inviting a tender for 110 fighter jets. The tender would be open for both single-engine and twin-engine aircraft. Approximately 16-17 (15 percent) are to be bought in fly-away condition, whereas the rest are to be built in India, according to Air Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa.
- Iran biggest military power of region: Leader's advisor IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Iran is actually the biggest military power of the region, said a senior military advisor of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces on Wednesday.
- US Congressmen Reportedly Wary of Saudi Arabia's Nuclear Ambitions Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- US lawmakers have warned that Saudi Arabia's pursuit of nuclear capabilities has the potential to evolve into an "arms race" in the Middle East.
- Russia Says It Delivered Advanced Missile Defense System To Syria Despite Objections RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Russia says it has delivered S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to Syria, despite objections from Israel and the United States that the weapons will escalate the war in the Middle Eastern country.
- Shoigu: Russia completed delivery of S-300 systems to Syria IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu stressed that the Russian side has completed the delivery of S-300 air defense missile systems to Syria.
- Taiwan to take delivery of first batch of four upgraded F-16s in 2019 CNA 03 Oct 2018 -- The Air Force is scheduled to take delivery of its first four upgraded F-16 fighter jets in the next six months, a military official said Wednesday during a legislative session.
- Protecting Taiwan benefits the U.S.: defense minister CNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Protecting Taiwan is in the national interest of the United States because Taiwan plays a role in maintaining regional peace, Taiwan's Minister of National Defense Yen Teh-fa (嚴德發) said Wednesday.
- Remarks to the Media US Dept. of State 03 Oct 2018 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- 3 October 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 03 Oct 2018
- China Seen Toning Down Activity in Contested Sea VOA 03 Oct 2018 -- Chinese officials are expected to tone down military activity in the contested South China Sea as the United States pushes back and Beijing hopes to ease Sino-U.S. trade tension without making the U.S. government angrier.
- Australian MoD Slams Beijing for Aggressive Tactics in South China Sea Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- Australian Defense Minister Christopher Pyne criticized on Wednesday the recent unsafe approach of a Chinese military ship toward US Navy cruiser in South China Sea, saying it represented Beijing's "aggressive tactics" in the region.
- US Warship Barely Avoids Collision With Chinese Vessel in S China Sea Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- Beijing's claims to disputed islands in the South China Sea have put it on a collision course with the US, which maintains that it will carry out freedom-of-navigation patrols in areas that China views as its territorial waters.
- Scores of Saudi troopers, mercenaries slain, injured in Yemeni army offensives Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Scores of Saudi soldiers and Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have lost their lives when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched separate offensives against their positions in the kingdom's border regions.
- UAE recruiting Africans for Saudi-led war: Report Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia's key partner in the ongoing Riyadh-led invasion of Yemen, has reportedly been recruiting tribesmen from northern and central parts of Africa to fight in the war.
- Syrian army continues advance in Toloul al-Safa area IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Syrian army units, in cooperation with the allied forces, continued to advance in various directions in the depth of the rocky cliffs in Toloul al-Safa area in Sweida Province, inflicting heavy losses upon Daesh (ISIS) terrorists.
- Russian president: No large-scale military action needed in Syria's Idlib Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says his country's joint plan with Turkey for creating a demilitarized zone in Syria's Idlib, the last major terrorist bastion in the country, has been effective, thus no major military action is needed in the region.
- Putin says US presence in Syria violates UN charter Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says the presence of US troops in Syria, providing support to anti-Damascus militant groups in the Arab country, violated the United Nations Charter.
- Israel will continue strikes in Syria despite S-300 missile system delivery: Minister Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Israeli minister for military affairs Avigdor Lieberman has expressed Tel Aviv's discontent over Russia's delivery of an S-300 surface-to-air missile system to Syria, stressing the move will not deter the Israeli regime from military operations in the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Israel Won't Stop Ops in Syria Despite S-300 Delivery - Defense Minister Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- On Tuesday, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu stated that Moscow had delivered 49 units of S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to Syria in order to enhance the security of Russian servicemen in the country.
- Rouhani hails revenge attack on terrorists in Syria, warns of more action Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has praised the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) for taking befitting revenge for a terrorist attack in the southwestern city of Ahvaz, saying the Islamic Republic will give a crushing and firm response to any act of aggression or terror.
- Egypt forces kill Daesh leader, 15 militants in Sinai Peninsula Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has announced the death of one of its leaders in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula, where security forces also shot dead 15 militants in a separate encounter.
- Utah Man Arrested After Suspicious Letters Sent to President, Pentagon VOA 03 Oct 2018 -- U.S. officials have arrested a Utah man in connection with suspicious letters mailed to the president and the Pentagon.
- Putin: Skripal Not Rights Defender, But 'Traitor' and 'Scumbag' Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Energy Week in Moscow is set to be attended by over 6,000 guests from over 70 countries, with energy companies coming from Austria, Germany, China, Libya, Saudi Arabia, the UK, France and the US.
- Putin Signs Unpopular Bill Raising Retirement Ages By Five Years RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed into law an unpopular bill raising the retirement age by five years, the Kremlin said.
- Putin says ex-Russia spy poisoned in Britain was a 'scumbag' Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has lashed out at Western governments for their designation of a former Moscow spy poisoned in Britain as innocent, saying Sergei Skripal was simply a "scumbag" who committed treason by revealing confidential information about his country.
- Putin Calls Poisoned Former Double Agent Skripal A 'Traitor' And A 'Scumbag' RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has lashed out at Sergei Skripal, the former Russian intelligence officer whom Britain accuses Moscow of poisoning with a weapons-grade nerve agent in England, calling him a "traitor" and a "scumbag."
- Former Russian Spy Finds It Hard to Accept Moscow Tried to Kill Him VOA 03 Oct 2018 -- Poisoned former spy Sergei Skripal has found it difficult to accept the Russian government tried to have him killed earlier this year, according to a new book published this week by a BBC journalist.
- Pompeo to travel to DPRK, meeting with Kim for talks People's Daily 03 Oct 2018 -- U.S. State Department said Tuesday that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will travel to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for further talks concerning the country's denuclearization.
- Alleged Violations of The 1955 Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, And Consular Rights (Islamic Republic of Iran V. United States of America) International Court of Justice 03 Oct 2018
- Top UN judicial body orders US to ease Iran sanctions UN News 03 Oct 2018 -- In a ruling issued on Wednesday, the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, ordered the United States to lift some of the economic sanctions it has imposed on Iran, which effect the importation of humanitarian goods and products, as well as the safety of civilian aircraft.
- US Ends 1955 'Treaty of Amity' With Iran VOA 03 Oct 2018 -- The United States is pulling out of a 1955 treaty with Iran in response to the International Court of Justice ordering the United States to lift sanctions on Tehran involving medicine, food and airplane parts.
- UN Court Orders US to Lift Some Iran Sanctions VOA 03 Oct 2018 -- The top U.N. court has ordered the United States to lift sanctions on Iran involving medicine, food and airplane parts in the latest step in a legal battle over measures the Trump administration put back in place earlier this year.
- U.S. Terminates 1955 'Friendship' Treaty With Iran After UN Court Ruling RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- The United States says it is canceling a decades-old friendship treaty with Iran after Tehran cited it in an international court case against Washington's sanctions policy.
- Top UN Court Orders U.S. To Ease Iran Sanctions RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- The top UN court on October 3 ordered the United States to ease sanctions it reimposed on Iran after withdrawing from the 2015 nuclear accord between Tehran and world powers earlier this year.
- UN court's order on Iran sanctions binding: Foreign Ministry IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations' top court's order on Iran sanctions is binding for the US and the country should obey it, Iran's Foreign Ministry said.
- ICJ ruling another failure for 'sanctions-addicted' US: Zarif IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Iran's foreign minister welcomed the ruling of the United Nations' highest court as 'another failure for sanctions-addicted' US government.
- Iran hails ICJ order against US IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Iran's foreign ministry in reaction to the ruling of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) said Wednesday that the decision by the global body is 'an obvious evidence of Iran's righteousness'.
- ICJ orders US to lift anti-Iran sanctions IRNA 03 Oct 2018 -- The International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Wednesday ruled that the sanctions imposed by the US on Iran are violation of a treaty between the two countries.
- UN stage of Iran's diplomacy success, US isolation ISNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Stating that the United States has suffered a great failure in what it has started against Iran since January, Iranian President said, "Today, the United States is isolated in the world and nobody has acknowledge and will accept the American way".
- Iran embraces ICJ's ruling against US ISNA 03 Oct 2018 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry has released a statement in reaction to the ruling issued by the International Court of Justice in the lawsuit filed by Iran against the United States.
- ICJ orders US to lift Iran sanctions linked to humanitarian goods, civil aviation ISNA 03 Oct 2018 -- The International Court of Justice (ICJ), the UN's top court, has ordered the US to lift sanctions linked to humanitarian goods and civil aviation imposed against Iran.
- ICJ's ruling another failure for sanctions-addicted US: Zarif ISNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javaz Zarif called UN top court ruling another failure for sanctions-addicted US.
- Iran slams US 'outlaw regime' for quitting another treaty Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States government has proven its reputation as an "outlaw regime" by quitting yet another international treaty out of spite for Iran.
- 'Russia standing by Iran's side as sanctions return' Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Russia says it remains determined to continue cooperating with Iran even if new US sanctions are slapped against the country.
- US cancels 1955 Treaty of Amity with Iran after UN court ruling Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Washington is canceling a 1955 treaty with Tehran after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordered the United States to halt the unilateral sanctions it recently re-imposed on "humanitarian" supplies to Iran.
- Victory for Iran: Highest UN court orders US to suspend sanctions Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- In a victory for Tehran against Washington, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ordered the United States to halt the unilateral sanctions it recently re-imposed on "humanitarian" supplies to Iran.
- Europe's will to save Iran deal must translate into action: Zarif Press TV 03 Oct 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif expresses satisfaction with ongoing European efforts to keep the 2015 nuclear deal in place despite the US exit, but says such political will should in the end translate into workable "mechanisms" aimed at ensuring Tehran's interests.
- Iranian FM Slams US as 'Outlaw Regime' Over Withdrawal From 1955 Treaty of Amity Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- Explaining the move of Washington, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo once again slammed the Islamic Republic, calling it a threat to the American mission in Iraq.
- EU Plan for Transactions With Iran is Important Step to Preserve JCPOA - Rouhani Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- An EU mechanism to facilitate transactions with Tehran is an important step toward preserving the Iran nuclear deal in the light of the United States' withdrawal and reinstatement of sanctions, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday.
- UN Court Rules US Must Suspend Sanctions Linked to Humanitarian Aid to Iran Sputnik 03 Oct 2018 -- Judges from the International Court of Justice, the highest tribunal at the United Nations, have handed a victory to Tehran, who has claimed that US sanctions imposed in May violate the terms their 1955 Treaty of Amity.
- Newly-elected Iraqi president tasks Adel Abdul-Mahdi to form next gov't People's Daily 03 Oct 2018 -- The newly-elected Iraqi President Barham Salih on Tuesday named the Shiite independent politician Adel Abdul-Mahdi as prime minister-designate and tasked him with forming the next government, Iraq official television reported.
- New Iraqi Prime Minister Charged With Forming New Government RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Iraq's new president has moved quickly to install veteran Shi'ite politician Adel Abdul-Mahdi as prime minister, charged with forming a new government nearly five months after national elections were held.
- In Iraq, UN welcomes new President, and Prime Minister-designate, calls for 'truly representative' new cabinet UN News 03 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations Special Representative for Iraq, Ján Kubiš, on Wednesday, welcomed the designation of a new Prime Minister, Adel Abdel-Mahdi, and urged political leaders to promote women's meaningful representation in politics.
- 8 allies deliver letter to UN expressing support for Taiwan CNA 03 Oct 2018 -- Representatives from eight of Taiwan's diplomatic allies delivered a joint letter signed by 12 of the nation's allies to United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday.
- Armenia's Pashinian Insists Snap Elections Must Be Held This Year To End 'Political Crisis' RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian says he will continue to push for early general elections to be held in December rather than next year, as proposed by his political opponents.
- WHO supports Zimbabwe with 1.4 million vaccinations to beat cholera outbreak UN News 03 Oct 2018 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) is supporting Zimbabwe's efforts to begin vaccinating 1.4 million people against a new deadly outbreak of cholera, beginning on Wednesday, after the water-borne disease first surfaced in a suburb of the capital Harare early last month.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|