30 September 2018 Military News
- US Builds New Military Base on Syrian-Iraqi Border - Kurdish Commander Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- The US has been boosting its military presence in the region and, according to an SDF spokesperson, the base is being used in an offensive against the remaining Daesh militants in eastern Syria.
- Afghan Provincial Officials: Taliban Are Interfering in Polio Vaccination Efforts VOA 30 Sep 2018 -- Afghan provincial health officials are accusing the country's insurgents of interfering in their work to vaccinate children against the virus of polio in the country's western Farah province.
- Afghan Army helicopter collapses IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Spokesman for the governor of Parwan, Afghanistan, announced that an army helicopter crashed in 'Kuh Safi' city, killing or injuring eight.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Under SECNAV Completes Orientation Visit to Guam NNS 30 Sep 2018 -- Under Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly completed an orientation visit to the island of Guam, Sept. 30, 2018.
- Kuwait discounts US pullout of Patriot missiles as internal 'routine procedure' Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- Kuwait's top military official has said that the recent US defense department's decision to withdraw two anti-air Patriot missile systems from the Persian Gulf kingdom was a "routine procedure" amid Pentagon's refusal to discuss the move.
- Chiefs Reaffirm Commitment to NATO Missions, Look to Future Needs AFPS 30 Sep 2018 -- The NATO Military Committee reaffirmed the alliance's commitment to Afghanistan and Iraq and moved ahead with plans to restructure NATO to improve its military capabilities, the committee's chairman said here last night.
- Modern 'Nabrosok' Artillery System Being Developed in Russia - Land Forces Chief Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- Russia's modern Nabrosok artillery system is being under development, and will be used in the country's missile troops and artillery, Russian Commander-in-Chief of the Land Forces Col. Gen. Oleg Salyukov said in an interview published on Sunday.
- Xi inspects military, stresses training, war preparedness People's Daily 30 Sep 2018 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, has stressed efforts to strengthen the military training and war preparedness of the armed forces and improve its capability to win wars.
- DPRK says it needs trust in U.S. before denuclearization People's Daily 30 Sep 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Saturday demanded the United States take steps to secure Pyongyang's trust before its denuclearization.
- Trump pushing Saudi Arabia to buy more US weapons Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has called on Saudi Arabia to increase its military spending, with an eye on more weapons sales to the "rich" kingdom.
- Official: Russia's S-300 delivery to Syria to pose 'serious challenge' to Israel Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- A senior Israeli official has admitted that Russia's delivery of S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense systems to Damascus will pose a serious "challenge" to the regime.
- Russia's S-300 Systems 'Enough' to Respond to Israel's Threat - Syrian FM Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said Sunday that deliveries of Russian S-300 air defense systems were a "timely step."
- Syria: S-300 systems enough to respond to Israel's threat IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Moallem said Sunday that deliveries of Russian S-300 air defense systems were a 'timely step.'
- S-300 plays important role against Israel aggression: Syrian FM IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Syria's Foreign Minister said deployment of S-300 air defense system in Syria is an important message from Moscow to Tel Aviv, and the system will play a major role against Israeli air raids.
- UK Unveils Strategy to Defend Arctic in Light of Alleged Russian Threat Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- UK Defense Minister unveiled on Sunday the country's new Defense Arctic Strategy, citing increasing threats in the region and Russia's alleged attempts to militarize it.
- UK to Send Commandos to Norway to Curb Russian Activity in Arctic – Report Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- With the Russian-British relations going downhill after the Skripal poisoning, Gavin Williamson has revealed details of Britain's plan that he branded a "defence Arctic strategy," which could reportedly be the largest operation of its kind since the Cold War.
- Defence Secretary announces new Defence Arctic Strategy UK MOD 30 Sep 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has today announced a new Defence Arctic Strategy, acknowledging the increasing opportunities and threats the region presents.
- US Warship Comes Near Beijing-Reclaimed South China Sea Islands - Report Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- A US warship traveled within 12 nautical miles of the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea that Beijing claims as its own. Washington's move, which was meant to demonstrate its point that these are international waters, may add fuel to the mounting diplomatic and trade tensions between the US and China.
- US warship sails near Chinese islands in South China Sea as trade war rages on Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- A US Navy warship has sailed near Chinese-claimed islands in the South China Sea, according to a US official, a move that is expected to intensify already high-running tensions between the two sides amid a growing trade war.
- Yemen vows to continue missile attack on UAE IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Spokesman for Yemen Army on Sunday warned the UAE that if the military aggression continues, Yemen's ballistic missiles and drones will effectively target the kingdom.
- Yemeni military official: second attack on Dubai airport not last attack IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- The deputy spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, Aziz Rashid, emphasizing that the second attack on Dubai's international airport will not be the last attack, added that 'Our air force UAV has been able to violate UAE air defense system by passing long distances.'
- Saudis behind biggest humanitarian disaster in Yemen IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has brought the biggest humanitarian disaster to Yemen, said a Yemeni official, reacting to recent remarks by the Saudi foreign minister before the United Nations General Assembly about the ongoing crisis in Yemen.
- Yemenis target Saudi coast guards in Jizan IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Some Hours after successful drone attack by Yemeni army and popular forces on Dubai international airport, Yemenis targeted Saudi coast guards in Jizan.
- Yemeni drone targets Dubai International Airport IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni Air Force launched a drone strike against Dubai International Airport on Sunday morning.
- Dubai airport hit in second Yemeni drone strike: TV Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- Yemen's army and its allies have staged a drone strike on Dubai International Airport in retaliation for the United Arab Emirate's role in stepped-up Saudi attacks on the impoverished country, a television report says.
- UAE should expect more attacks if aggression on Yemen continues, Ansarullah spokesman Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has no option but to expect more operations from Yemeni army forces and their allied fighters from Popular Committees in case the Saudi-led military aggression and blockade against his impoverished homeland continues.
- Al-Moallem: US presence in Syria illegal and must leave IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Syrian Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign and Expatriates Minister Walid al-Moallem reaffirmed that the US presence on the Syrian territory is illegal and is considered as an aggression that must leave.
- Israel prepared to reopen UN crossing with Syria: Military Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- The Israeli military says Tel Aviv is ready to reopen its side of the crossing point with Syria following the return of the UN peacekeepers to the Golan Heights after four years.
- Presence of US military forces on Syrian soil illegal, act of aggression: Muallem Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem has roundly condemned the presence of hundreds of American troopers in the southeastern part of his country close to the border with Iraq, terming the deployment as "illegal" and an "act of aggression."
- Idlib pullout begins but US-backed militants not leaving Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- The first militant group has begun withdrawing its members and heavy arms from a recently-declared buffer zone in Syria's Idlib Province, a UK-based monitoring group says.
- Turkish warplanes 'neutralize' over dozen PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- Turkey's military says more than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group have been killed as Turkish military aircraft conducted a series of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Kosovo president, forces temporarily enter Serbian region Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- Kosovo's special forces have made their way into a Serbian enclave while escorting Kosovar President Hashim Thaci, prompting Serbia to put its armed forces on high combat alert.
- History of Macedonia Naming Dispute Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- Macedonia, a small Balkan nation, is holding a referendum on Sunday to determine whether its name should be changed to the Republic of North Macedonia, potentially ending a decades-long row with Athens and speeding up the country's EU and NATO entry.
- Macedonians voting in referendum on country's potential name change Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- People in Macedonia are heading to the polls to cast their ballot in a referendum on whether to change their country's name to "the Republic of North Macedonia" and settle a long-running dispute with Greece and pave the way for NATO and European Union (EU) membership.
- Strong Support, But Low Turnout, In Macedonia Vote On Name Change RFE/RL 30 Sep 2018 -- The vast majority of voters in Macedonia's referendum on September 30 accepted a name change that could pave the way for the Balkan nation's entrance into the European Union and NATO, partial results show, but the vote was marred by low turnout.
- Greece Sees Results of Macedonian Referendum as Controversial But Respects Them Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- Athens respects the results of Macedonia's referendum on name change but considers them controversial, the Greek Foreign Ministry said on Saturday, reiterating its commitment to the Prespa deal.
- Macedonia Referendum Preliminary Result: Renaming Supported By 90.83% of Voters Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- The announcement by State Election Commission comes after counting data from half of polling stations.
- NATO Pressure, Opposition Boycott: What's at Stake in Macedonia Name Change Vote Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- One Question
- Albanian Prime Minister Urges Macedonia's Albanians to Support Renaming Deal Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- Macedonians are heading to the polls on Sunday for a consultative referendum on the republic's name, with the name change required under a deal with Greece, which would allow the former Yugoslav republic to join the EU and NATO. Sputnik summarizes the complex political, economic and geopolitical issues behind the plebiscite.
- Low Turnout in Macedonia Name-Change Referendum VOA 30 Sep 2018 -- Few Macedonians turned out to vote in a referendum on whether to change the name of their country - a move that could pave the way for it to join NATO and the European Union.
- Protesters Accuse Russian Officials Of 'Stealing' Pensions As They Rally Against Retirement-Age Hike RFE/RL 30 Sep 2018 -- Russians have staged small rallies in several cities to protest against an unpopular plan to raise the eligibility age for retirement pensions by five years.
- Ri Yong Ho Calls for thoroughly Implementing DPRK-U.S. Joint Statement KCNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho, head of the delegation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, delivered a speech at the plenary meeting of the 73rd session of the United Nations General Assembly on Saturday.
- FM of DPRK Meets UN Secretary-General KCNA 30 Sep 2018 -- DPRK Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho, who is attending the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly as head of the DPRK delegation, met and had a talk with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres at the UN Headquarters on Sept. 28.
- Trump says he and North Korean leader Kim 'fell in love' Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has boasted of improved relations with North Korea, saying he and Kim Jong-un "fell in love" following their June summit in Singapore.
- Iran to pull out JCPOA if EU mechanism fails to work: FM Zarif ISNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Iran might pull out of the deal if the special mechanism being created by the Europeans doesn't work, the Iranian diplomat who negotiated the nuclear deal said.
- Iran has potential for earning oil revenues in full IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Deputy Minister of Petroleum Ali Kardar said late Sunday that there is no limitation on earning the entire oil revenues from exports, Iran's oil revenues have increased by 40 percent compared to the figure for the year earlier.
- Zarif: Iran to quit JCPOA, if Europe mechanisms fail to work IRNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the if Europe's special mechanisms fail to work Iran will leave nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran's Zarif Shrugs Off Netanyahu's Secret Nuke Storage Claims as 'Smokescreen' Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- This week, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu took the most global of stages at a UN gathering in New York to accuse Iran of hiding nuclear equipment and materials. Earlier this year, the US withdrew from the landmark Iran nuclear deal after Netanyahu claimed Tehran was pursuing a nuclear weapons program.
- China launches Centispace-1-s1 satellite People's Daily 30 Sep 2018 -- China launched its Centispace-1-s1 satellite on a Kuaizhou-1A rocket from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China at 12:13 p.m. Saturday.
- China Launches Reactor of Tianwan NPP Built With Russia's Help – Rosatom Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- China successfully launched on Sunday the reactor of the new power unit of the Tianwan nuclear power plant (NPP), built with the Russian participation, Russia's nuclear corporation said.
- Iraqi Kurds elect first parliament since secession fiasco Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- Voters in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region in northern Iraq have headed to polling stations to elect the first parliament since a disastrous separation referendum last year.
- Iraqi Kurds Vote For New Parliament In Long-Delayed Elections RFE/RL 30 Sep 2018 -- Iraq's Kurdistan region has held long-delayed parliamentary elections, amid growing discontent with perceived corruption and economic hardship.
- Iraqi Kurds Vote for New Parliament VOA 30 Sep 2018 -- Iraqi Kurds headed to the polls Sunday to elect a new parliament for the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq, a year after a controversial independence referendum led to an armed crackdown from the Iraqi Government.
- Belize speaks for Taiwan's participation in U.N. CNA 30 Sep 2018 -- Belize, one of Taiwan's 17 formal diplomatic allies, voiced support on Saturday, the fifth day of the general assembly of the United Nations, for Taiwan to participate in the U.N. system.
- More Expensive Than Expected: Brexit Costs UK £500Mln Per Week – Report Sputnik 30 Sep 2018 -- According to the Centre for European Reforms, Brexit is costing the public £500 million ($651 million), instead of the £350 million promised by the Leave campaign.
- Egyptian court orders retrial of Muslim Brotherhood top leader, other senior figures Press TV 30 Sep 2018 -- An Egyptian court has ordered the retrial of the supreme guide of the now-outlawed Muslim Brotherhood movement and some of its senior figures over an array of charges, including premeditated murder and violence during demonstrations five years ago.
- Cameroon President Launches Campaign on Northern Border VOA 30 Sep 2018 -- Cameroon president Paul Biya says he has successfully pushed the militant group Boko Haram beyond Cameroon's borders and urgently needs to be re-elected in the October 7 presidential poll so he can rebuild what was destroyed. Biya was in the northern town of Maroua in one of his rare outings from his presidential palace to launch his campaigns for the presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|