07 September 2018 Military News
- Coalition Conducts Defeat-ISIS Exercise in Eastern Syria AFPS 07 Sep 2018 -- Operation Inherent Resolve coalition forces today commenced an exercise in eastern Syria to hone their warfighting skills for counterterrorism operations, U.S. Central Command officials said.
- Pentagon chief in surprise Afghanistan visit amid frustration in US Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Pentagon chief Jim Mattis has arrived in Afghanistan on an unannounced visit amid US push for talks with the Taliban which are calling for the withdrawal of foreign troops.
- Pentagon Chief Makes Surprise Visit To Kabul To Discuss Peace Efforts RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis arrived in Kabul for a surprise visit on September 7 to meet with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and the new commander of NATO troops in Afghanistan and discuss progress on talks with the Taliban.
- Mattis Optimistic About Peace in Afghanistan VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis met Friday with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and other top Afghan officials, including Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New Fitness Test Measures Combat Readiness, Army Secretary Says AFPS 07 Sep 2018 -- "If you can't pass the Army Combat Fitness Test, then there's probably not a spot for you in the Army," said Secretary of the Army Mark T. Esper.
- U.S. Airmen Participate in Colombian-Led Search, Rescue Exercise AFPS 07 Sep 2018 -- Two U.S. Air Force aircraft and more than 90 U.S. airmen are participating in Angel de los Andes, a Colombian-led international search and rescue training exercise here that began Sept. 3 and runs through Sept. 14.
- Northern European Chiefs of Defense Address Russian Deterrence AFPS 07 Sep 2018 -- Chiefs of defense from 11 northern European countries gathered here today to discuss a variety of topics at the 2018 Northern European Chief of Defense Conference.
- Army improving integrated training environment for aviators Army News 07 Sep 2018 -- To better prepare aviators for the future fight against a near-peer adversary, the Army is working to improve live, virtual and constructive training environments.
- EOD Group 2 Cuts Ribbon on New EOD Operations Facility NNS 07 Sep 2018 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Group 2 marked a milestone in ongoing construction projects with a ribbon-cutting for a new EOD operations facility at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek, Sept. 5.
- US military to send 1,500 more soldiers to Germany by late 2020 Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- The United States has decided to add about 1,500 troops to its 33,000-strong contingent stationed in Germany.
- NATO Secretary General discussed current security challenges with Greek Prime Minister NATO 07 Sep 2018 -- Visiting Athens on Thursday (6 September 2018), NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to discuss current security challenges and the implementation of decisions taken at the NATO Summit in July.
- Norwegian Armed Forces Warn of Collateral Damage During Major NATO Drill Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- During previous exercises of comparable size, Norwegian farmers sustained damage from NATO tanks that amounted to the tens of thousands of kronor.
- US fighter jets shadow Russian bombers patrolling Arctic airspace Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Two US F-22 jet fighters have shadowed Russian Tu-95 long-range bombers training over neutral waters of the Arctic Ocean, Russia's Defense Ministry announced.
- Russia's Tu-95MS Jets Carry Out Flights Over Arctic Ocean – Defense Ministry Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- NORAD Says Intercepted Russian TU-95 Bombers that Did Not Enter US, Canada Airspace
- Total of 22 Aircraft Spotted Spying Near Russian Borders Over Past Week Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- A total of 22 aircraft have been found out conducting reconnaissance operations along Russian borders over the past week, the Russian armed forces' official media outlet Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) reported on Friday.
- French Defense Ministry Claims Russia Spied on French-Italian Military Satellite Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- French Defense Minister Florence Parly has accused Russia of committing "an act of espionage" back in 2017, claiming that a Russian satellite then approached the French-Italian military satellite Athena-Fidus in an attempt to intercept its communications.
- Iran's defense minster visits China to discuss cooperation Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami has arrived in China's capital Beijing for a visit during which he is expected to discuss mutual defense cooperation with Chinese officials.
- Turkey starts constructing site for Russian S-400 missile system: Report Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Turkey has reportedly begun building a site for the advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile system, regardless of strong opposition from the United States to the plan and warnings that Ankara should not buy the anti-aircraft platform.
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Gaggle Aboard Air Force One The White House 07 Sep 2018
- 7 September 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 07 Sep 2018
- Beijing protests UK naval incursion People's Daily 07 Sep 2018 -- Beijing expressed strong dissatisfaction on Thursday after a naval vessel from the United Kingdom sailed into territorial waters off China's Xisha Islands, with China urging an immediate cessation of such provocative actions.
- Jizan Airport targeted by Yemeni missile IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni Army and popular committees targeted Jizan Airport in south of Saudi Arabia with a ballistic missile.
- 'Yemen alarmingly facing growing cases of malnutrition' Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- With the devastating impact of the ongoing campaign led by the Saudi regime in Riyadh against the impoverished country of Yemen, there has been a constant rise in the cases of malnutrition there, many of them life-threatening.
- Saudis still refuse to allow plane to take Houthis to Geneva peace talks Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Yemen's Ansarullah movement says the scheduled peace talks are still on hold as Saudi Arabia is still refusing to allow its delegation to fly to the Swiss city of Geneva.
- Saudi-Backed Yemeni Government Blocking Houthi Plane from Reaching Peace Talks Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- A peace delegation from the Houthi movement to the UN-sponsored negotiations in Geneva to try and find an end to the Yemeni Civil War is being blocked from flying out of Yemen ‒ by the Saudi-backed Yemeni government they're supposed to be negotiating with.
- World Food Program Prepares For Possible Idlib Onslaught VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- The World Food Program (WFP) says it is making preparations ahead of a possible onslaught on Syria's northern province of Idlib to provide food to hundreds of thousands of people trapped in the midst of battle.
- Fears of Bloodbath in Syria's Idlib as Russia, Turkey and Iran Meet VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- The leaders of Russia, Turkey and Iran are scheduled to meet Friday in Tehran under the so-called Astana format to discuss the fate of the Syrian province of Idlib, the last rebel-held area of the country.
- UN Syria Envoy Warns of 'Perfect Storm' for Disaster in Idlib VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- The U.N. envoy for Syria warned Friday that all the ingredients exist for a "perfect storm" of a humanitarian catastrophe if the Syrian government, backed by Russia, carries out a large-scale military offensive on the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Erdogan Warns of Massacre as Syria Summit Ends in Deadlock VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- Turkey is again warning that a "bloodbath" would result from any Syrian government military offensive on Syria's last rebel stronghold of Idlib.
- Army tightens grip on Daesh in Sweida eastern countryside IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Syrian Arab Army advanced in al-Safa hills in eastern countryside of Sweida, tightening grip on Daesh (ISIS) terrorists.
- Turkey voices concern over US support for Kurdish rebels in Syria IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Turkish president on Friday expressed concern over the Washington support for the Kurdish rebels, including the YPG and PKK in Syria.
- Russia calls for preparing ground for return of Syrian refuges IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Russian president on Friday called for reconstruction of Syria and planning the return of refugees.
- Tehran summit statement declares support for Syria sovereignty IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Tehran's trilateral summit on Syria held with the presence of Iranian, Russian and Turkish presidents in its final statement expressed support for Syria sovereignty.
- US interference in Syria should be stopped immediately: Iran president IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Iranian president on Friday urged the US to end its interference in Syria, noting that the region's crisis should be resolved through inter-Syrian talks.
- Damascus has sovereign right for Idlib operation: Syrian UN envoy Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Syria's Ambassador to the United Nations Bashar al-Jaafari says military operations against terrorist factions in the militant-held province of Idlib is a sovereign right of the Arab country and liberating the northwestern region "will be the last nail in the coffin of terrorism."
- Militants preparing 'provocations' in Syria's Idlib: Putin Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says militants are preparing provocations, including the use of chemical weapons, in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.
- US must swiftly end illegal presence, interference in Syria: Iran's Rouhani Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the United States must swiftly end its "illegal presence and interference" in Syria, which, he added, has led to the continuation of insecurity in the war-ravaged country.
- Putin, Erdogan in Tehran for crucial Syria summit Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan have arrived in Tehran for a key summit to discuss key issues of interest, mainly a planned Syrian operation to retake Idlib.
- Idlib will be soon under govt. control: Syrian PM Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Syrian prime minister says the northwestern province of Idlib, the last major stronghold of the terrorists in the Arab country, will be soon under government control, pledging to win any possible war there.
- Russia to US: Reveal your targets for possible Syria attack Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Russia has called on the United States to reveal the list of the targets that it will attack in response to what it claims to be an upcoming chemical attack by the Syrian government.
- Erdogan Warns Russia, Iran Against Offensive In Syria's Idlib Province RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned Russia and Iran that an attack by Syrian government forces and their allies on Idlib Province, the last rebel stronghold in the war-ravaged Middle Eastern country, would result in a "massacre."
- Turkey Has Reportedly Proposed Evacuating Militants From Syria's Idlib Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- For the Syrian government, retaking the last militant stronghold in Idlib is crucial to scoring a final victory in the seven-year civil war.
- Putin: Terrorists in Syria's Idlib Preparing Provocations Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- The presidents of Russia, Turkey, and Iran are meeting in Tehran on Friday for the third trilateral summit to discuss the situation in Syria.
- Most of Syria's Idlib De-Escalation Zone Still Controlled by Militants - Moscow Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- Russia Calls on Ukraine to Immediately Release Journalist Vyshinsky
- 'Sanctity of human civilian life' in Idlib must win out, urges UN Syria Envoy UN News 07 Sep 2018 -- With the ingredients for a "perfect storm" brewing in the Syrian province of Idlib, the international community cannot allow civilians there to succumb to such a fate, the UN Envoy for the country told the Security Council on Friday.
- WFP and UNICEF prepare for the worst in Syria's Idlib, as insecurity mars start of another school year UN News 07 Sep 2018 -- Emergency food supplies for hundreds of thousands of people in Syria's Idlib are "ready for distribution" in the event of mass displacement caused by a full-scale military offensive on the last opposition-held region, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
- Iran says killed 13 terrorists, arrested 12 in August Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Iran's security forces killed 13 terrorists and arrested 12 more in three separate operations in western parts of the country last month, the Intelligence Minister said on Friday.
- Separatists In Ukraine's Donetsk Choose Zakharchenko Successor RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Denis Pushilin, the chairman of the "people's council" of the Russia-backed separatist formation called the Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) in eastern Ukraine, has been selected as the acting head of the DNR.
- Hezbollah 'much stronger' despite Israel's numerous attacks Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- An Israeli official says Hezbollah has become stronger despite many attacks on the movement's positions, mainly in Syria where the resistance group is helping the army fight foreign-backed terrorists.
- Normalization Talks Falter As Serbian President Rejects Meeting With Kosovar Counterpart RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic refused to hold face-to-face talks with his Kosovar counterpart, Hashim Thaci, as mounting tension cast new doubt over prospects for a landmark agreement between the countries and the normalization of ties.
- 'Children's crisis' in South Sudan must be addressed, says top UN official calling for real accountability UN News 07 Sep 2018 -- Virginia Gamba, the United Nations Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict, on Friday called for much greater accountability and effort, to prevent grave violations against children across the world's youngest nation, South Sudan.
- UN police investigating killing of displaced people in Central African Republic UN News 07 Sep 2018 -- Perpetrators behind the killing of a number of people displaced by conflict in the Central African Republic (CAR) must be brought to justice, the UN peacekeeping operation in the country said on Friday.
- Cameroon's Military, Separatists Trade Blame for School Attacks, Kidnappings VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- A steady flow of relatives, friends and well-wishers have been visiting Martina Afanwi at her home this week in Bamenda, an English-speaking town in Cameroon's northwest.
- UK Spy Chief: London Ready to Counter 'Real Threat' From 'Brazen' Russia Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- The GCHQ intelligence chief's warning came hot on the heels of a UN Security Council meeting where the UK envoy claimed that the Salisbury poisoning attack was perpetrated by two GRU officers.
- Uzbek Suspect Asks U.S. Judge To Rule Out Death Penalty, Citing Trump Tweets RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Lawyers for an Uzbek-born man accused of killing eight people by driving a truck down a New York City bike path have asked a U.S. judge to rule out the death penalty, contending that President Donald Trump's statements against him have made a fair legal process impossible.
- Treasury Sanctions East African Facilitator of Intricate ISIS Financial Network US Treasury 07 Sep 2018-- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action today targeting Waleed Ahmed Zein, a terrorist in East Africa who established an intricate worldwide financial network to facilitate funds transfers for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
- Inter-Korean Summit Set; Plans for North's Denuclearization Elusive VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- South Korean officials say high-level talks are scheduled for early next week between representatives from the two Koreas ahead of a summit set for Sept. 18 through Sept. 20.
- DPRK leader calls for further efforts towards denuclearization People's Daily 07 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has called on the two sides to further their efforts towards the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- Trump Says Kim Passes Letter to Him Via Secretary of State Pompeo Sputnik 07 Sep 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has written him a letter that was transferred across the country's border and will soon be delivered to him by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- US Warns North Korea: No Concessions Without Denuclearization VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- A top State Department official insisted Friday that North Korea would have to blink first if it wanted to make a deal on denuclearization with the United States.
- Chinese President to Skip North Korean Anniversary Event VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's decision to turn down a reported invitation to attend a military parade in North Korea and celebrations marking 70 years since the founding of the isolated state may have helped him dodge problems on several fronts.
- Iran spares no efforts to maintain peace in region IRNA 07 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami referred to developments and insecurities in Western Asia, saying Iran has spared no efforts for establishing peace, stability and security in the region.
- Iran president praises Russia's role in maintaining JCPOA Press TV 07 Sep 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has commended Russia for its role in bringing the Iran nuclear deal into fruition and maintaining it despite the US' illegal withdrawal.
- MOFCOM: China must retaliate if US implements new tariffs People's Daily 07 Sep 2018 -- China's Commerce Ministry (MOFCOM) said on Thursday that it will take necessary counter measures if the US insists on implementing a new set of 25 percent tariffs on 200 billion US dollars' worth of Chinese import.
- Crackdown on Christian Churches Intensifies in China VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- Authorities in central China's Henan province are ratcheting up pressure on unregistered religious establishments with the intent of shutting down at least two-thirds of Christian churches there. Observers say the aim of the policy from China's top leader, Xi Jinping, appears to be to contain the growth and spread of Christianity in the country and tighten controls over religious groups.
- Iraqi Protesters Set Iranian Consulate Ablaze In Basra RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Demonstrators stormed the Iranian Consulate in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, damaging offices before setting the building on fire, security officials and witnesses say.
- Basra Protesters Torch Iranian Consulate Amid Reports Security Forces Pull Back VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- Amateur video broadcast on Arab news channels Friday showed protesters in Basra, Iraq torching the Iranian consulate and chanting anti-Iran slogans. The Iraqi government declared a curfew, a day before the Iraqi parliament is due to meet to discuss the situation in the southern port city. The protesters say Iran is interfering in Iraqi politics and blame Iran for the poor public services in the oil-rich city.
- Armenian PM Calls For 'More Strategic' Relations With Russia Ahead Of Moscow Trip RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Ahead of a visit to Moscow for talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian has called for developing "much more strategic and cooperative" relations with Russia.
- Moscow Watches Anxiously As Pashinian Realigns Armenia's Foreign Policy RFE/RL 07 Sep 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov raised a lot of eyebrows when he voiced Kremlin concern on September 3 that the "situation in Armenia is heating up."
- With Turkey Ties Strained, US Warms Up to Greece VOA 07 Sep 2018 -- As ties between the U.S. and Turkey have turned sour, relations between the U.S. and Greece are warming rapidly.
- Criminalization of Dissent in Nicaragua US Dept. of State 07 Sep 2018
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|