26 August 2018 Military News
- US Troops Poised to 'Stay' in Syria as DoS Official Visits Kurdish-Held Areas Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- In late June, the US reportedly started to establish a new military base near the northern Syrian city of Manbij, already the third in the area, amid previous reports about the US forces' upcoming withdrawal from Syria.
- Daesh leader in Afghanistan killed in airstrikes in Nangarhar: Government Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- The leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Afghanistan has been killed in airstrikes in the eastern province of Nangarhar.
- Islamic State Leader In Afghanistan Reported Killed RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- Authorities say the head of Islamic State militants in Afghanistan has been killed in a strike on the group's hideouts in Nangarhar Province.
- Airstrike Kills Daesh Group's Local Head in Eastern Afghanistan - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Afghan security forces killed Sad Irhabi, the local head of the Daesh terror group (banned in Russia) during an air raid in the east of the country, the 1TV broadcaster reported on Sunday.
- Drone Strike Kills IS Chief in Afghanistan VOA 26 Aug 2018 -- A drone strike has killed the leader of Islamic State in Afghanistan, Abdu Saad Erhabi, along with his nine commanders.
- US Stepping up Armed Drone Efforts in Niger VOA 26 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. Air Force is months away from completing the construction of an air base in Niger for armed drones that will target militant groups operating in the region, a U.S military official told VOA.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Guard Integral to DoD Effort to Build Lethality, Alliances, Mattis Says AFPS 26 Aug 2018 -- Enhancing lethality and restoring readiness is at the heart of the National Security Strategy and the National Guard is an integral part of that strategy, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told the National Guard Association of the United States, yesterday.
- NATO Spots 50 'Suspicious Vessels' Spying on US in Aegean Sea - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Greek media has reported that Washington has stepped up its military activities in the Aegean Sea, which they claimed is turning into a US training ground.
- Moscow says UK's interception of Russian aircraft over Black Sea 'dangerous' Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Moscow has lashed out at the UK's Royal Air Force (RAF) for intercepting Russian patrol aircraft near Russia's own shores over the Black Sea, warning that such provocative actions are 'simply dangerous'.
- Russia Mocks British Military After Jets Scramble From Romania RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- The Russian Embassy in London mocked the British military and says its armed forces "pose no threat to Britain" two days after U.K. Typhoon jets based in Romania scrambled to investigate Russian aircraft heading toward NATO airspace.
- Russia Sends Warships to Syrian Shores as US Suspected of Preparing Strike Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry warned that militants in Idlib may be preparing to stage a chemical weapons attack against the local civilian population and thus create a pretext for a US strike.
- UK to start work on post-Brexit satellite system to rival EU's Galileo: Report Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has ordered officials to start work on a British satellite navigation system to rival the European Union's Galileo because the UK's access to sensitive security information could be restricted after Brexit, according to British media.
- Trainer aircraft crashes SW Iran IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- A trainer aircraft crashed in Dezful on Sunday noon, an informed source said.
- Iranian Military Plane Crashes During Landing - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- According to IRNA news agency, an Iranian F-5 fighter jet crashed in Dezful in the Iranian southwestern Khuzestan province on Sunday.
- Iran's defense minister in Syria for new cooperation Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Iranian Defense Minister Amir Hatami has arrived in Syria for a two-day visit to discuss a number of issues, including ways of expanding defense and military cooperation.
- Iranian Defense Minister In Syria To Discuss Cooperation RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Amir Hatami has arrived in Syria on a two-day visit aimed at further developing bilateral cooperation, Iranian media report.
- Afghan President Declines Resignations Of Top Security Officials RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has rejected the resignations of three senior security officials in his cabinet, after the country's national security adviser stepped down and was replaced, his office says.
- Afghan President Ghani Rejects Resignation of Top Officials - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Four top security officials in Afghanistan's government resigned on Saturday, sources in the country's government said. Afghan President has later rejected the resignations of three of them.
- Afghan President Rejects Resignations of Top Security Officials VOA 26 Aug 2018 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has rejected the resignations of three top security officials.
- Yemen targets Saudi military base with missile IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- In reaction to attacks on civilians and killing innocent people, Yemen has shot a ballistic missile toward Saudi military base in Najran, southern Saudi Arabia.
- Yemen's Houthi Fire Missile at Saudi Jizan - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- The area of Jizan is regularly targeted by the rebels from Yemeni territory that carry out missile launches threatening different cities in Saudi Arabia.
- Yemeni forces launch drone, missile strikes against Saudi mercs in Bayda, Jizan Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni army soldiers, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have reportedly launched an airstrike against a position of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, in the country's central province of al-Bayda.
- Iran renews support for Syria soverignity IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- Iranian defense minsiter on Sunday renewed his country's support for Syria's soverignity and territorial integrity.
- Iran defense minister: Fight against terrorists in Syria at final stage IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- Fight against terrorism in Syria under the leadership of the country and Resistance Front forces is at its final stage, Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami said on Sunday.
- Iran, Syrian defense ministers discuss issues of mutual interests IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- Syrian Defense Minister Lieutenant General Ali Ayyoub said on Sunday that by cooperation and participation of resistance axis, especially the Islamic Republic of Iran, Syria could finally win the war against terrorism after about eight years.
- Iran confident about Syria's full defeat of terrorism: Defense chief Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami has hailed the steadfastness of the Syrian people and government forces in their battle against terrorism, expressing confidence that they will achieve a final victory in this path.
- Army inflicts heavy losses on terrorists in Idleb, Hama IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- Syrian army units inflicted heavy losses on the terrorist groups positioned in the countryside of Idleb and Hama.
- Syrian Army inflicts heavy losses on terrorists in Idleb, Hama IRNA 26 Aug 2018 -- Syrian Army units inflicted heavy losses on the terrorist groups in the countryside of Idleb and Hama, Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.
- Return to Peace: Syrian Military Continues to Clear Homs From Explosives - MoD Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Syrian engineering units disposed 59 explosive devices in the country's Homs Province over the past 24 hours, the Syrian office of the Russian Center for the Reception, Allocation and Accommodation of Refugees said on Sunday.
- Thousands of Militants Preparing Attack on Syria Hama, Aleppo – Russian Military Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Several thousand militants armed with heavy weaponry and armored vehicles are preparing for an offensive on the Syrian provinces of Hama and Aleppo, the Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday.
- Senior Daesh militant commander killed in Iraq's Diyala infighting Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- A high-ranking commander of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed when members of two rival foreign-sponsored militant groups operating in Iraq's eastern province of Diyala turned on each other and engaged in a fierce exchange of gunfire.
- Israel to start building new housing units in East al-Quds next month: Report Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Israel plans to commence a new settlement project in the heart of occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds early next month, a report says.
- World Leaders, Ex-Presidents Pay Tribute To Veteran Senator John McCain, Dead At 81 RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- Tributes from former U.S. presidents, lawmakers, and world leaders poured in for U.S. Senator John McCain, a day after the veteran Republican politician, war hero, and former presidential candidate died of brain cancer.
- Zimbabwe President Mnangagwa Calls for Unity After Being Sworn In VOA 26 Aug 2018 -- President Emmerson Mnangagwa is calling for unity in Zimbabwe after being sworn in Sunday to start his five-year term.
- Zimbabwe president takes oath of office following disputed win Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Zimbabwe's President Emmerson Mnangagwa has been sworn in following an election victory disputed by the opposition and amid questions raised over the country's democratic credentials by United States observers.
- S Korean President May Encourage Kim to Negotiate With US - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in may help advance talks between Washington and Pyongyang by acting as a mediator during his visit to North Korea for a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in fall, the Yonhap News Agency reported citing an official from the presidential office.
- Reunion of Separated Families and Relatives from North and South Ends KCNA 26 Aug 2018 -- There ended the reunion of separated families and relatives from the north and the south held at Mt Kumgang Resort as part of practical measures for implementing the historic Panmunjom declaration.
- North Korean blasts 'double-dealing' US for hatching 'criminal plot' Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- In the freighted atmosphere surrounding the relations between Pyongyang and the Washington, a North Korean newspaper has lambasted the administration of US President Donald Trump for its "double-dealing" and "hatching a criminal plot."
- North Korean Media Slams 'Double-Dealing' US After Pompeo's Visit Cancelation Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump stated that he was directing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to delay his visit next to North Korea.
- Iran wants enhanced ties with Qatar: President Rouhani Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic always seeks to strengthen relations with Qatar as a friendly country in the sensitive Middle East region.
- Iran's Parliament ousts finance minister Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Iran's parliament has voted to remove Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance Masoud Karbasian from office.
- US unable to achieve goals against Iran: FM Zarif Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States has failed to achieve its goals following its withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal and is now waging a "psychological war" on Iran and its partners.
- Iran Lawmakers Sack Economy Minister In Another Blow To President Rohani RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- The Iranian parliament has voted to remove the minister of economic affairs and finance from office, amid mounting discontentment toward President Hassan Rohani's government over a deterioration in the country's economic situation.
- Iranian Economy Minister Impeached Sputnik 26 Aug 2018 -- Abbas Payizadeh, conservative MP in a speech ahead of the impeached vote, said that "inefficiency and lack of planning have nothing to do with sanctions."
- Upcoming war games to assess reactions of allies: sources CNA 26 Aug 2018 -- Computerized war games will be held this week to test Taiwan's readiness to handle a major crisis, such as an attack on its critical infrastructure, involving simulated possible reactions to a range of scenarios by the country's allies, sources said Sunday.
- Thousands Protest Against Government In Moldovan Capital, Chanting 'Down With The Mafia' RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- Thousands of people have rallied in Moldova's capital to protest against the Democratic Party-led government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|