06 August 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 06 Aug 2018 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between July 30 and Aug. 5, conducting 20 strikes consisting of 27 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Airmen support Q-West airfield alongside Iraqis AFNS 06 Aug 2018 -- The average day for air traffic controllers involves a lot of moving parts and Airmen working constantly to ensure safe and secure air flow. For Qayyarah Airfield West, Iraq, this rests solely on the shoulders of just a few people.
- Afghanistan confirms deployment of US Special Forces to Farah province Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- The Afghan Ministry of Defense has confirmed that US Special Forces have been deployed to the western province of Farah near the Iranian border.
- Afghan Government Under Fire for Rescuing Islamic State Militants VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan have vowed to bring to justice perpetrators of "war crimes" among scores of Islamic State militants who recently surrendered to the government in northern Jowzjan province to avoid being captured by the Taliban.
- Army Engineers to Battle Western Wildfires AFPS 06 Aug 2018 -- Two hundred active-duty soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, will join firefighting lines as early as Aug. 13, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Robert Manning III told reporters today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force releases Light Attack Aircraft draft request for proposal AFNS 06 Aug 2018 -- The Air Force shared a draft request for proposal for the Light Attack Aircraft with Sierra Nevada/Embraer and Textron Aviation following the conclusion of the second phase of the Light Attack Experiment.
- New DoD Policy Prohibits GPS-Enabled Devices in Deployed Settings AFPS 06 Aug 2018 -- Deployed service members are going to have to ditch their "geolocation devices" in response to a new memo from Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick M. Shanahan.
- U.S. Air Force Pilots Help Guard Iceland's Skies AFPS 06 Aug 2018 -- Air Force F-15 Eagle pilots are helping to guard the skies over Iceland for the eleventh time since NATO's Icelandic Air Surveillance mission began.
- US Soldiers hone small tactics operations alongside European allies during Noble Partner exercise Army News 06 Aug 2018 -- U.S. Soldiers assigned to 3rd Squadron, 2nd Cavalry Regiment conducted small unit tactics with Georgian Army observers as part of Exercise Noble Partner 18 here, Aug. 3.
- Burlington (EPF 10) Successfully Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 06 Aug 2018 -- The Navy's 10th Expeditionary Fast Transport ship, Burlington, successfully completed Acceptance Trials, Aug. 3 after two days of underway evaluation in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Pentagon Drops Almost $1B on Underwater Drone Materials Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The US Congress recently gave President Donald Trump the largest defense budget in the country's history. In the budget, the lawmakers dedicated nearly $1 billion to materials for underwater drones.
- Pentagon Restricts the Use of Fitness Apps and Trackers for Soldiers Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The new rules come after several scandals where fitness apps, gathering information on people's training sessions, revealed the location and approximate personnel numbers of several secret US military sites.
- Jordan, Iraq ink security deal but still face rocky road Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Jordan and Iraq have signed a military and security cooperation agreement after years of stormy ties which saw Daesh terrorists gain control of their joint border and cut vital trade to a bare minimum.
- Caspian Sea Convention to Ban Military Presence of Non-Littoral States in Region Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The principle of non-presence of armed forces not belonging to the five Caspian countries is one of the agreed provisions of the Convention on the Legal Status of the Caspian Sea, which is expected to be signed at a summit in Kazakhstan later in August, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov told Sputnik on Monday.
- Corporate Feud Delays Crucial Indian Navy Warship Project Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The Indian Navy has flagged the need of a warship that can transport at least 3,000 troops with battle tanks in any exigency in the Indian Ocean Region. However, the government has not been able to award the contract to any of the two sparring bidders, as doing so could unleash a fresh political debate.
- Сhina Reportedly Claims Success in Test of Its First Hypersonic Glider Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- Hypersonic aircraft are capable of breaking all existing missile defense systems, Chinese experts say.
- Germany Mulls Return to Military Conscription as Bundeswehr Lacks Manpower Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- Berlin has been contemplating new security strategies in light of recent terror attacks and as part of preparations for possible NATO actions against an imaginary threat from Russia, German media wrote.
- Japanese PM Confirms Tokyo's Non-Participation in Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- On Monday Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe noted that Tokyo has not reversed its decision on non-participation in the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), while marking the 73rd anniversary of the US atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- Taiwan allocates 21.3% of proposed defense budget to indigenous arms CNA 06 Aug 2018 -- Taiwan will spend more than one-fifth of its defense budget next year on the development of indigenous weapons, in line with the government's policy of strengthening national security, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday.
- International cooperation leading to submarine breakthroughs: Tsai CNA 06 Aug 2018 -- Taiwan has been making breakthroughs in resolving bottlenecks encountered in the design and manufacturing of submarines through international cooperation and other efforts at home, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday.
- As Hiroshima observes 73rd anniversary of atomic bombing, UN notes 'stalled' progress on nuclear disarmament UN News 06 Aug 2018 -- The world needs the continued moral leadership of the people of Hiroshima, the top United Nations disarmament official said on Monday, commemorating the 73rd anniversary of the atomic bombing that devastated the city while lamenting that after decades of momentum towards a nuclear-free world, "progress has stalled."
- 6 August 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Aug 2018
- Admiral to VOA: US 'Consistency' Counters Chinese Aggression in South China Sea VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. response to China's controversial actions in the South China Sea is "consistency," the Navy's top admiral said.
- UN targets half a million Yemenis in battle-scarred Hudaydah with cholera vaccine - UNICEF UN News 06 Aug 2018 -- Over a year after cholera broke out in Yemen, killing more than 2,000 people, the disease is back and spreading fast in the Houthi-held port city of Hudaydah; a target of continued air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition to regain control of the city.
- 5 Saudi military personnel killed in western Yemen IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- Five Saudi servicemen were killed in the western coast of Yemen, Almasirah news network said on its website Sunday.
- Houthis dispute seriousness of 'aggressors' to peace Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- The UAE says it supports UN-sponsored talks for peace in Yemen, but the Houthis say they do not see "any serious or real stance by the aggressors toward reaching a political solution."
- Yemeni forces hit Saudi military base in Jizan with ballistic missile: Report Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a short-range domestically-manufactured missile at a Saudi military base in the kingdom's southwestern Jizan province, in retaliation for the Saudi regime's campaign against the impoverished country.
- Syrian warplanes pound positions of Daesh, Nusra Front in Sweida, Hama Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Syrian army warplanes have launched airstrikes against the positions of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the country's southwestern province of Sweida and those of the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the central province of Hama.
- Militants in Idlib arrest members for seeking reconciliation with Syrian govt. Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Turkish-backed militants have arrested at least 45 members who sought reconciliation with the Syrian government amid Turkey's attempts to stave off an offensive by Damascus to liberate Idlib.
- Kurdish Forces Ready to Assist Syrian Army in Sweida Offensive – YPG Commander Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- After defeating various hardline Islamist militant groups in Deraa and Quneitra, the Syrian Army is set to oust Daesh* terrorists from the Sweida Governorate in southern Syria.
- Relocate Rohingya refugees to safer grounds: HRW to Bangladesh Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has warned against the threat of natural disasters facing the Rohingya Muslim refugees living in an overcrowded mega camp in Bangladesh's border region near Myanmar, calling on Dhaka to relocate the hapless refugees to safer places.
- HRW Opposes Plan to Move Rohingyas to Uninhabited Island VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- A human rights group is urging Bangladesh to reconsider its plans to move Rohingya refugees to a small, uninhabited island.
- Pakistan, India briefly open southern border after 12 years IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- Pakistan and India have opened the border crossing at Khokhrapar-Munabao zero point to repatriate the dead body of an Indian woman who had died during a visit to Pakistan, local media reported.
- Ethiopia's violence kills civilians, displaces thousands Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Violence in Ethiopia's eastern Somali region has reportedly left an unknown number of civilians dead and thousands of others displaced over the weekend.
- South Sudan peace deal a 'big step forward': UN mission chief UN News 06 Aug 2018 -- There was jubilation in the streets of South Sudan's capital overnight on Sunday, as residents celebrated a new agreement that the top UN official in the country has described as "a big step forward" towards ending nearly five years of brutal conflict.
- South Sudan Peace Deal Can Work - if Leaders Can Cooperate VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- South Sudan leaders agreed to end hostilities Sunday in the latest attempt to end the country's five-year civil war, which has killed tens of thousands of people. Some analysts say the deal will succeed only if the country's political leaders can finally find a way to work together.
- President of Ethiopia's Turbulent Somali Region Resigns VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- The president of Ethiopia's turbulent Somali region has resigned, following violence in the regional capital killed at least 29 people.
- Saakashvili: Russia Targeted 'Role Model' Georgia In 2008 War RFE/RL 06 Aug 2018 -- Former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili says that Russia's motive in the five-day war with Tbilisi a decade ago was to attack "Georgian statehood," asserting that Moscow was concerned because reforms had made the South Caucasus country a "role model" for others in the region.
- Trump admits son met Russian lawyer for information on Clinton Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has admitted his oldest son met a Kremlin-linked Russian lawyer in June 2016 to collect information about his then political opponent Hillary Clinton, but argues it was legal.
- U.S. Calls In Russian Embassy Official Over Moscow's 'Aggressive Interference' RFE/RL 06 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. State Department has called in Russia's chargé d'affaires in Washington over what it says are Moscow's efforts to use social media to "promote violence" and divide U.S. society. Russia criticized the summons, calling it "megaphone diplomacy."
- Venezuela detains 6 in failed drone attack against Maduro People's Daily 06 Aug 2018 -- Venezuelan authorities announced Sunday that they've arrested six individuals suspected of involvement in the assassination attempt against President Nicolas Maduro.
- Venezuelan Gov't Says to Put Blame for Any New Aggression on Colombia Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The Venezuelan government on Monday said it would lay responsibility for any new hostile move against Caracas on Colombia, after the failed assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Multiple Journalists Detained After Assault on Maduro in Venezuela - Reports Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The Venezuelan authorities said on Sunday they have detained six suspects over drone explosions at a rally led by the Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- California Man Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison for Attempting to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 06 Aug 2018 -- Everitt Aaron Jameson, 27, of Modesto, California, was sentenced today to 15 years in prison, and a life term of supervised release, for attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
- Ministerial Meeting of ASEAN Regional Forum Welcomes Panmunjom Declaration and DPRK-U.S. Joint Statement KCNA 06 Aug 2018 -- A chairman's statement of the Ministerial Meeting of the ASEAN Regional Forum was announced on August 6.
- North Korea Urges US to Drop Sanctions After Showing Good Faith Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- On Monday, North Korean state media urged the US to drop its sanctions against the country, accusing Washington of using sanctions to "raise its negotiating power."
- Report: Russia Set Up Clandestine Network For N. Korea Oil Shipments VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- Russia engaged in more extensive oil exports to North Korea than had been previously reported, by setting up an illicit trade network that is likely still being used today to evade United Nations sanctions, according a South Korean research organization.
- Statement from the President on the Reimposition of United States Sanctions with Respect to Iran The White House 06 Aug 2018
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 06 Aug 2018
- President Donald J. Trump is Reimposing Sanctions Lifted Under the Horrible Iran Deal The White House 06 Aug 2018
- Senior Administration Officials Previewing Iran Sanctions US Dept. of State 06 Aug 2018 -- Special Briefing
- Trump Reimposes Economic Sanctions on Iran VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has reimposed economic sanctions against Iran, effective at midnight Monday, assailing Tehran as "a murderous dictatorship that has continued to spread bloodshed, violence, and chaos."
- Trump Signs Order Reimposing Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 06 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the reimposition of major financial sanctions on Iran, targeting currency purchases and key industries three months after pulling out of the 2015 nuclear agreement between Tehran and world powers.
- Ankara on Collision Course With Washington Over Iran Sanctions VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order Monday to introduce sanctions against Iran threatens to put Washington and Ankara on a collision course.
- President: Time limit for Europe still in effect IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Monday that the time limit Iran has given to Europe is still in effect and others, i.e. 1+4, are expected to compensate for the US pressures and preserve the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- President: Europe standing up to US today IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Monday that Europe is today standing up to the US.
- Rouhani censures Trump for quitting negotiations. IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani said late Monday reprimanded US President Donald Trump for withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal, saying that he turned his back to negotiations and his conducts are against the Iranian nation.
- Trump says open to new Iran deal IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said Monday he remains open to forging a new nuclear deal with Iran.
- Zarif: Trump invalidates intl' accord with one signature IRNA 06 Aug 2018 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Monday that we experienced very prolonged nuclear negotiations for two years with the US word by word on implementation of the JCPOA but US president with one signature invalidated it and now they expect us to return to the negotiations.
- Rouhani: US not trustworthy for negotiations after quitting nuclear deal Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the US administration is no more able to prove its trustworthiness for any negotiations after its withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal and a number of other international treaties.
- Germany says will protect firms from Iran curbs Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Germany says it will continue to support companies over their Iran business activities in face of returning US sanctions and also warned that EU firms – including enterprises in Berlin – could sue the administration of President Donald Trump if they suffer losses due to sanctions.
- Trump signs executive order reimposing sanctions against Iran Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order reimposing many sanctions on Iran to levy "maximum economic pressure" on the Islamic Republic.
- Zarif: Trump's offer of negotiations with Iran only PR stunt Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says a recent proposal by US President Donald Trump to enter into negotiations with Iran over the country's nuclear issue is nothing but a "publicity stunt" as he cannot be trusted with any new talks after withdrawing from Iran nuclear deal.
- Europe defies US, vows to protect firms against Iran sanctions Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- As the United States is preparing to restore sanctions against Iran, Europe says it would act to protect its companies that do business with Iran against Washington's potential punitive measures.
- Iran unveils new currency policies to strengthen rial Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- As the United States is preparing for the snapback of economic sanctions against Iran, the country has unveiled a much-awaited package of policies that it expects to help strengthen its national currency – the rial – which has lost nearly half of its value against the US dollar since the start of the year.
- Pompeo: US will 'fully' enforce sanctions on Iran Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Washington will enforce the full range of the country's sanctions against Iran, the first round of which is to kick on Monday.
- U.S. Expresses Concerns Over Violence Against Unarmed Protesters In Iran RFE/RL 06 Aug 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the United States is concerned about reports of Iranian authorities using "violence against unarmed citizens," as street protests have hit Tehran and other cities over economic hardships.
- Germany to Protect Its Companies' Exports, Investments in Iran From US Sanctions Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The US withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal and announced that it would be re-imposing the "harshest sanctions" on Tehran and any entity working with it, even if it means subjecting European companies to sanctions.
- Bolton: Iran Should "Come to the Table" If Wants to Avoid US Sanctions Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- White House national security adviser John Bolton said in an interview on Fox News on Monday that if Iran wants to avoid the US sanctions, it should agree on Donald Trump's offer and hold negotiations.
- US Building Global Coalition to Counter Iran's 'Malign' Activity - US Official Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- The United States is putting together a global coalition to counter Iran's malign activity as it reimposes sanctions against the Islamic Republic that were removed under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), a senior administration official said in a press briefing on Monday.
- Pompeo Vows to 'Enforce' US Sanctions Against Iran - Reports Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that the United States would "enforce the sanctions" it is reimposing after US President Donald Trump pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal.
- China Lashes Out as Retaliatory Moves Fail to Stop Trump Trade Actions VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- Chinese state media are reacting to U.S. President Donald Trump's trade actions against China in diverse ways. While denouncing the U.S. leader's actions, Beijing is also using its media to calm markets and express concern about the impact on the Chinese economy.
- China solicits int'l cooperation experiments on space station People's Daily 06 Aug 2018 -- China is asking the world to collaborate in experiments on its planned space station so as to promote international space cooperation and sustainable global development.
- Hackers use UK airwoman's dating profile to steal F-35 secrets Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- The UK Royal Air Force (RAF) says hackers have been able to steal sensitive information about its fleet of stealthy F-35 fighter jets after successfully infiltrating an airwoman's dating account.
- Recount of May vote in Iraq credible, transparent: UN Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- The United Nations has commended the "credible and transparent" manual recount of votes from Iraq's parliamentary elections held in May, calling for further steps towards the formation of a government in the country.
- Iraq concludes manual recount of May parliamentary elections Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Iraq's election commission has concluded the manual recount of votes from the country's parliamentary elections held in May, wrapping up a process following accusations of electoral fraud.
- Moscow Takes 'Reciprocal' Action After Greece's Expulsion Of Russian Diplomats RFE/RL 06 Aug 2018 -- Russia says it has summoned Greece's ambassador to Moscow to inform him of "reciprocal measures" after Athens's expulsion of two Russian diplomats last month over allegations of meddling with its relations with Macedonia.
- Saudi Arabia severs ties with Canada over Ottawa 'interference' Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has expelled the Canadian ambassador and recalled its envoy after severing business ties with Ottawa over claims of interference in its internal affairs.
- Canada's Stance on Saudi Arabia Based on 'Distorted' Information - FM Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- Canada's stance on Saudi Arabia regarding the release of activists is based on "distorted" information, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Jubeir said on Monday, adding that the rights of the detained were ensured by the Saudi legal system.
- Taiwan still mulling countermeasures to name change by airlines: MOTC CNA 06 Aug 2018 -- The Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) said Monday that the government is considering its next move in response to the recent decision by a number of international airlines to change the way they refer to Taiwan on their websites due to pressure from China.
- Zimbabwean Opposition Faces Post-Election Violence, Repression - MDC Alliance Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- Zimbabwe's main opposition party, the MDC Alliance, has faced violence and repression from the country's military after last week's elections, Tabitha Khumalo, the spokeswoman for the MDC Alliance told Sputnik on Monday.
- Zimbabwe President Rules Out Coalition Government With Opposition VOA 06 Aug 2018 -- Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa has ruled out forming a coalition government, despite his narrow win in last week's presidential election. The opposition is gearing up to challenge the official results in court.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|