05 August 2018 Military News
- Bomb attack kills 3 NATO soldiers in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- Three NATO soldiers have been killed in a bomb attack during a routine foot patrol in eastern Afghanistan.
- Suicide Bomber Kills Three Czech NATO Troops In Eastern Afghanistan RFE/RL 05 Aug 2018 -- A suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan has killed three Czech members of NATO's Resolute Support force.
- Suicide Attack Kills 3 NATO Soldiers in Afghanistan VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- NATO's Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan announced Sunday three of its soldiers were killed when a suicide bomber attacked a combined, dismounted patrol with local forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Albanian PM Says NATO To Spend Millions To Modernize Air Base RFE/RL 05 Aug 2018 -- Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama says NATO has decided to spend 50 million euros ($58 million) to modernize the country's air base in Kucove.
- Senators pass bill to increase US aid to Israel to $3.8 billion Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- US senators are quietly paving the way for a military aid to Israel that exceeds $3.8 billion.
- A New Bill May Boost US Military Aid to Israel to More Than $3.8 Bln – Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- The document was clinched in the wake of a memorandum of understanding on security assistance between Washington and Tel Aviv in 2016.
- Honey Pot: RAF Staffer Leaks F-35 Secrets on Tinder - Report Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- A perpetrator hacked a female RAF staffer's dating app profile, using her online presence to sweet-talk a male Royal Air Force employee and stealing secret information about the US fifth-generation F-35 Lightning II fighter just weeks after the first four jets entered service, according to a report by Mail Online.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard Holds Drills in Persian Gulf - Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) held large-scale military drills in the Persian Gulf, local media reported on Sunday.
- IRGC confirms holding drills in Persian Gulf IRNA 05 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) spokesman Brigadier General Ramezan Sharif approved the military exercise in the Persian Gulf over the last week.
- Iran's Air Force overhauls fighters IRNA 05 Aug 2018 -- Islamic Republic of Iran's Air Force (IRIAF) engineers and technicians in northeastern Iran have overhauled two fighter jets.
- Iran's IRGC confirms holding drill in Persian Gulf Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says it held a military drill in the Persian Gulf this week with the aim of securing the strategic waterway and deterring potential threats posed by the enemies.
- Pompeo Wraps Up Southeast Asia Tour VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has wrapped up his Southeast Asia tour.
- Australia-Japan-United States Trilateral Strategic Dialogue Joint Ministerial Statement US Dept. of State 05 Aug 2018 -- The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Australia, Julie Bishop, the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, Taro Kono, and the Secretary of State for the United States, Michael R. Pompeo, met in Singapore on August 4, 2018 for the eighth ministerial meeting of the Trilateral Strategic Dialogue (TSD).
- UN: Attacks on Yemen's Port of Hodeidah Would Be Catastrophic VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- United Nations aid agencies are renewing appeals to Yemen's warring parties to spare the Port of Hodeidah, warning attacks against the vital lifeline would be catastrophic.
- Syrian Army targets Daesh gatherings in Sweida desert IRNA 05 Aug 2018 -- The Syrian Air Force raided Daesh (ISIS) gatherings and axes of movement deep into the desert of Sweida province, killing scores of terrorists, SANA reported.
- Syrian Army kills Jabhat al-Nusra terrorists in Hama IRNA 05 Aug 2018 -- Army units carried out intensive strikes against dens and positions of Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organization and the affiliated groups in Hama northern countryside, Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.
- Daesh beheads one of hostages kidnapped in southern Syria Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- The Takfiri terror group of Daesh has executed one of more than 30 people it abducted from the city of Suwayda in southern Syria during a brazen attack last month.
- SDF Drives Daesh Out of 'All Border Points' in Eastern Syria - Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- The developments came a few days after the Syrian Army completely eliminated terrorists in the southwestern Daraa province while the Syrian Democratic Forces wiped out a Daesh stronghold in the country's northeast.
- South Sudan's president, rebel leader sign final power-sharing deal Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and his archfoe Riek Machar, the leader of the main rebel group in the African country, have signed a final power-sharing deal in an attempt to end a bloody civil war that engulfed the youngest nation in the world during the past five years.
- Israel seeks limited ceasefire with Gaza, officials hint Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- The Tel Aviv regime may agree to a limited ceasefire with Palestinian resistance groups in the besieged Gaza Strip, Israeli officials have hinted.
- Israeli aircraft strikes Gaza Strip over 'arson balloons': Military Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- The Israeli military says its aircraft has conducted airstrikes on the northern parts of the besieged Gaza Strip, claiming it hit targets over "arson balloons."
- Egypt's military kills 52 militants in Sinai Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- The Egyptian military has killed at least 52 militants in recent days across the Sinai Peninsula in line with a push for the elimination of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists there.
- 3 Somali troops killed in al-Shabab attack Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- At least three Somali servicemen have been killed when members of al-Shabab terrorist group attacked a military base near the capital Mogadishu with an explosive-laden vehicle.
- Deadly Blasts Hit Somalia VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- At least six people were killed and 13 others were wounded in two bombings in Somalia on Sunday, ambulance services and officials said.
- Army Takes Control of Key Roads, Buildings in Troubled Ethiopian Region VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- Ethiopian soldiers have taken control of major highways, government buildings and the airport in the eastern Somali region after violence in the capital of Jigjiga left at least 29 people dead.
- Trump Defends 2016 Meeting Between Son, Kremlin-linked Lawyer VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday defended the 2016 meeting his oldest son, Donald Trump Jr., held with a Kremlin-linked lawyer to "get information" on his opponent, Democrat Hillary Clinton, saying it was "totally legal and done all the time in politics."
- Trump Acknowledges Purpose Of Meeting With Kremlin-Linked Lawyer In 2016 RFE/RL 05 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has acknowledged that a June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in New York with a Kremlin-linked attorney was conducted to receive information on his political opponent, but he claimed it was "totally legal."
- Not So United: Russia's Ruling Party Rattled By Pension-Reform Crisis RFE/RL 05 Aug 2018 -- Speaking to a riled-up crowd at a July 28 protest against the Russian government's deeply unpopular proposal to raise retirement ages in Vologda, angry pensioner Nikolai Zharavin didn't mince words as to who was to blame.
- Alleged Syrian Chemical Weapons Chief Killed in Car Blast - Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- Dr. Aziz Asbar was at the helm of a scientific development center in the Syrian city of Masyaf, which was reportedly attacked several times before.
- Syrian scientist assassinated in car bombing: Report Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- A Syrian scientist has reportedly been assassinated in a car bomb attack after he survived Israeli attacks on his research center.
- No US govt. involvement in drone attack against Venezuela president: Bolton Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- A senior White House official has denied any US involvement in an assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro during a military parade in Caracas.
- US Not Involved in Maduro Assassination Attempt: Bolton Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- Senior White House official John Bolton on Sunday denied that the US was involved in the detonation of several drones on Saturday in what is being described as a failed assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Six People Detained Following Maduro Drone Assassination Attempt - Minister Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- On Saturday, a blast occurred during Maduro's address at a military parade in Caracas. Venezuela's Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said after the incident that Maduro had survived an assassination attempt with the use of explosive drones.
- 6 Arrested in Apparent Assassination Attempt on Maduro in Venezuela VOA 05 Aug 2018 -- Venezuelan authorities have arrested six people they call "terrorists and hired killers" in what President Nicloas Maduro says was an assassination attempt against him.
- Group claims responsibility for Maduro assassination attempt Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- An unknown rebel group has claimed responsibility for the failed assassination attempt against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, which the president himself earlier blamed on Colombia.
- Venezuela's Maduro survives an assassination attempt Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has survived an assassination attempt with explosive carrying drones.
- Colombian FM Refutes Claims on Involvement of Santos in Failed Assassination Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Sunday that the failed assassination was plotted by the Venezuelan right-wing forces as well as by the Colombian right under the country's President Juan Manuel Santos.
- 'Flannel Soldiers' Claim Responsibility for Assassination Attempt of Maduro Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- Venezuelan clandestine movement called the Flannel Soldiers on Sunday claimed responsibility for the attempt of President Nicolas Maduro's assassination.
- Failed Assassination of Maduro: Firefighters Reportedly Claim Gas Tank Exploded Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- On Saturday, the televised address of the Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was abruptly interrupted by the alleged attack of the drones loaded with explosives.
- Maduro Accuses Colombian Right-Wing Forces of Seeking Violence in Venezuela Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- According to Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, some of those responsible for organizing the failed assassination attempt have been detained.
- Maduro TV Address Interrupted by Drone Assassination Attempt Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- A televised address by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was cut short during a speech at a military event on Saturday and soldiers were seen running before the TV transmission was cut off.
- Maduro TV Address Interrupted by Assassination Attempt - Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- A televised address by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was cut short during a speech at a military event on Saturday and soldiers were seen running before the TV transmission was cut off.
- DPRK Foreign Minister Makes Speech at ASEAN Regional Forum KCNA 05 Aug 2018 -- DPRK Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho Saturday made a speech at the Ministerial Meeting of ASEAN Regional Forum held in Singapore.
- Iran Gets Foreign Aircraft a Day Ahead of Restoration of US SanctionsSputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- On Monday, the US is due to re-introduce a number of sanctions to target Iran's automobile industry as well as gold and other key metals. The move comes a few months after Washington's withdrawal from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- Iran Central Bank Deputy Chief Detained Ahead Of Reimposed U.S. Sanctions RFE/RL 05 Aug 2018 -- Iranian authorities have detained a deputy Central Bank governor amid street protests over the country's economic difficulties, state-run media report, as Iran prepares to face a return of U.S. sanctions that were lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Iraq's south witnesses new protests against corruption, power cuts Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- Less than a month after a surge of unrest in Iraq over poor public services, particularly power cuts and rampant corruption, residents in southern areas of the Arab country have once again staged protests.
- Brazil's Lula nominated for president despite detention Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- Brazil's Workers Party (PT) has officially nominated its founder, former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, for the upcoming presidential election, in a largely symbolic move since he remains in prison on a 12-year sentence on corruption charges.
- New Severe Ebola Outbreak Hits Eastern Congo Killing at Least 33 - Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- An outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo is believed to have killed 33 people so far, the nation's health ministry said Saturday, cited by Reuters.
- Taiwan will not yield an inch to Chinese pressure: president CNA 05 Aug 2018 -- China has assumed an even more overbearing manner toward Taiwan aimed at undermining the morale of the Taiwanese people and causing disruption to society, but Taiwan will not yield an inch, no matter how great the pressure, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Sunday.
- British trade minister says EU is pushing UK to no-deal Brexit Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- British trade minister Liam Fox says the UK is likely to leave the European Union without a trade deal.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|