25 July 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 25 Jul 2018 [PDF]
- US will have no military cooperation with Russia in Syria: Mattis Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Defense Secretary James Mattis says the United States will have no cooperation with the Russian military in Syria at least for now.
- Pentagon Reluctant To Work With Russian Military On Syrian Refugees RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- U.S. military leaders are expressing reluctance to work with the Russian military following a White House agreement with the Kremlin to discuss working together to help Syrian refugees return home, drawing an angry response from Moscow.
- US Base in Southern Syria Sends 'Signal' to Iran VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. base near southern Syria's al-Tanf border crossing was set up to train local Syrians to fight Islamic State militants, but it also serves as a counterweight to Iranian activities in the war-torn country, U.S. officials and experts tell VOA.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force establishing new office aimed at driving down maintenance costs AFNS 25 Jul 2018 -- Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson announced the establishment of the Air Force Rapid Sustainment Office today.
- Accelerating Multi-Domain Operations: evolution of an idea Army News 25 Jul 2018 -- Multi-Domain Battle has a clear origin. Stemming from the idea that disruptive technologies will change the character of warfare, it recognizes that the way armies will fight and win wars will also change. It also reflects the desire to replicate the success of AirLand Battle, which is arguably the most significant case of developing a concept and then materializing capabilities across the DOTMLPF spectrum (Doctrine, Organization, Training, Material, Leadership Education, Personnel, and Facilities). Origin stories establish the foundation from which lasting ideas emerge. However, for ideas to have a lasting impact they must evolve.
- Harvested HMMWV parts will save Corps millions, increase survivability of JLTV USMC News 25 Jul 2018 -- A harvesting effort by Program Executive Officer Land Systems and Marine Corps Systems Command could save the Corps millions and make one of its newest vehicles more survivable.
- US expanding biggest Mideast military base in Qatar Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Qatar and the United States have launched a project to expand Washington's already largest military base in the Middle East region, with both sides discussing "permanent" American presence in the emirate.
- Navy Utilizes Realistic Cyber Simulations to Mature Cyber Mission Forces Beyond Qualifications NNS 25 Jul 2018 -- The next phase in the maturation of the Navy's Cyber Mission Force teams is underway as leadership from U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/U.S. 10th Fleet (FCC/C10F) develop innovative training methods that allow operators to hone their skills in a realistic and challenging environment.
- Russia threatens with 'response' if Sweden, Finland join NATO Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu says Moscow would "take response measures" if Sweden and Finland joined the NATO military alliance.
- Pentagon Awards $300Mln to Deliver Javelin Missiles to Ukraine, 5 Other States Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- The US Army has awarded a $307 million Foreign Military Sales contract to Raytheon to supply more Javelin anti-tank missiles to Ukraine, Estonia and Lithuania as well as to Australia, Turkey and Taiwan, the Department of Defense said in a press release.
- India, Japan Gearing Up For First Joint Military Exercise Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- The two countries are also exploring possibilities to enhance cooperation between the Japan Air Self Defense Force and Indian Air Force by enabling visits by their aircraft to each other's air bases.
- Two Iranian missile-launching warships dock at Baku coastlines IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Two Iranian missile launching warships – Peykan and Joshan – docked at Caspian Sea coastlines at Baku to participate at Sea Cup-2018.
- Iran's IRGC upgrades Sukhoi fleet Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps says the IRGC has upgraded several of its Sukhoi SU-22 fighter bombers and will soon equip them with cruise missiles.
- Iran unveils 10 upgraded Sukhoi Su- 22 ISNA 25 Jul 2018 -- 10 Sukhoi Su- 22, modernized and upgraded by Aerospace experts of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Iranian knowledge based companies, were unveiled and added to the Aerospace fleet during a ceremony on Wednesday where the chief commander of IRGC Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari and the Commander of IRGC Aerospace Force, Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh were in attendance.
- US bases within reach of Iran's defense power: Iranian Chief of Staff ISNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Bagheri says the country's Armed Forces are highly prepared to give a "crushing response to any threat at any level" against the Islamic Republic.
- Kazakh Defense Minister Makes First Official Visit To Bishkek Since Soviet Collapse RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- Kazakh Defense Minister Saken Zhasuzaqov traveled to Bishkek on July 25, making the first official visit by a Kazakh defense chief to Kyrgyzstan since the two Central Asian nations gained independence in the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.
- 25 July 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Jul 2018
- Houthis Target Saudi Oil Tanker Off Yemen's Coast Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Earlier, Yemeni government has provided two ceasefires to the United Nations for the withdrawal of Houthi rebels from the Al Hudaydah port, though, the militants have turned down the initiative.
- Yemeni drone strikes Saudi mercenaries' command center in Bayda Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have launched an airstrike against the command and control center of Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the war-torn country's central province of al-Bayda.
- Houthis target Saudi warship off Yemen's western coast Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Fighters from Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement have targeted a Saudi warship off the country's western coast in retaliation for the Riyadh regime's deadly military campaign on the impoverished nation.
- Saudi attacks on Yemeni water systems increase disease risk: UNICEF Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- The UN International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) has condemned recent airstrikes conducted by the Saudi-led coalition on Yemen's water systems, warning that the destruction of the infrastructure could endanger more lives.
- The United States and France Take Coordinated Action on Global Procurement Network for Syria's Chemical Weapons Program US Treasury 25 Jul 2018 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated 13 persons pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13382 of June 28, 2005, "Blocking Property of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferators and Their Supporters." These five entities and eight individuals are key components of a vast network procuring electronics on behalf of Syria's Scientific Studies and Research Center (SSRC), the agency responsible for the development of Syria's chemical weapons.
- Militants Kill Over 200 in Southern Syria Attacks VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- The Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for a series of suicide bombings and other attacks Wednesday in southern Syria, killing at least 204 people.
- Daesh loses ground in Daraa southwestern countryside IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab Army operating in the southwestern countryside of Daraa continued their operations against Daesh (ISIS) terrorist organization, inflicting heavy losses upon terrorists, according to SANA.
- Israel airstrike targets undisclosed region in Syria Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Israel says it has carried out an airstrike on an undisclosed region in Syria in what it claims to be a response to two rocket launches from the country.
- Death toll from Daesh attacks in Syria's Sweida exceeds 220 Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- A so-called monitor group says the death toll from a spate of attacks and bombings carried out by members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria's southwestern province of Sweida has surpassed 220.
- Syrian government forces make new territorial advances in Dara'a, Quneitra Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have made fresh territorial gains against terrorists from the Daesh Takfiri militant group in the country's southwestern provinces of Dara'a and Quneitra, liberating nearly two dozen towns and villages.
- 50 killed in multiple terror attacks targeting Syria's Sweida Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Dozens of civilians have been killed and dozens more injured in a series of terrorist attacks, including bombings, which hit Syria's southern Province of Sweida.
- Israeli Army Hit Launcher in Syria Which Fired Two Rockets Over Border, IDF Says Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Israeli army hit a rocket launcher in Syria, which fired earlier rockets that, as IDF earlier reported, appeared to be "errant fire from the internal fighting in Syria".
- US Sanctions Five Entities Linked to Alleged Syrian Chemical Weapons Program Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Earlier, the Syrian government has firmly denied the allegations of being in possession of chemical weapons.
- Damascus: Syria's Sovereignty Over Golan Heights Not Up for Negotiation Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Syria's top diplomat to the UN has accused Israel's Western allies of providing political cover and protection to Tel Aviv amid what he described as the country's ongoing occupation of Arab lands.
- Turkish Forces 'Neutralize' 3 PKK Members, While Group Says Kills 15 Servicemen Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Turkish forces have killed or captured three militants linked to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) during separate missions in Turkey's southeastern Diyarbakir province and northern Iraq, local media reported on Tuesday citing the Turkish General Staff.
- U.S. Issues 'Crimea Declaration' Reaffirming Rejection Of Russia's Annexation RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- The United States announced a formal policy reaffirming its rejection of Russia's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea Peninsula, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blasting Moscow for seeking "to undermine a bedrock international principle shared by democratic states."
- Crimea Declaration US Dept. of State 25 Jul 2018 -- "Russia, through its 2014 invasion of Ukraine and its attempted annexation of Crimea, sought to undermine a bedrock international principle shared by democratic states: that no country can change the borders of another by force."
- Transcript: VOA Interview with Kurt Volker, US Envoy to Ukraine Negotiations VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- On Monday, U.S. Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations Kurt Volker sat down with VOA to discuss the recent U.S.-Russia summit in Helsinki, Finland, and upcoming Normandy Format discussions about securing peace in Ukraine. The talks, involving political directors of Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France, are slated for July 26 in Berlin.
- South Sudan Foes Sign Preliminary Peace Deal VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- South Sudan's government and main rebel group have signed a preliminary power-sharing deal aimed at ending the country's nearly five-year civil war.
- South Sudan rivals ink preliminary power-sharing agreement Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- South Sudan's government and the main rebel group have inked a preliminary power-sharing agreement that reinstates rebel leader Riek Machar as vice president, in an attempt to end a five-year civil war.
- Acute lack of funding threatens critical aid for Palestinians : UN agency UN News 25 Jul 2018 -- Despite major fundraising efforts, UNRWA – the UN agency tasked with providing life-saving support to Palestinian refugees – is facing the "largest ever reduction in funding" in its history which is threatening the very existence of many of its critical assistance programmes.
- Cameroon violence needs urgent investigation, says UN rights chief Zeid UN News 25 Jul 2018 -- Persistent reports of grave human rights abuses in Cameroon – including a widely shared video showing the alleged execution of a woman, child and baby – must be investigated by the authorities urgently, UN rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said on Wednesday.
- Trump Looking To Meet Putin In 2019 RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump wants to meet at the White House with Russian President Vladimir Putin in 2019 -- sometime after the Justice Department's probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election is over, his national security adviser says.
- Putin Not Welcome In Congress If He Visits Washington, Leaders Say RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- The leaders of the U.S. Congress, citing Russia's alleged interference in U.S. elections, say they will not invite Russian President Vladimir Putin to address Congress or visit the Capitol if he accepts President Donald Trump's invitation to a second summit in Washington this fall.
- White House: Omission in Trump-Putin Transcript Not 'Malicious' VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- The White House said Wednesday that the omission of a key exchange in a news conference by U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin was unintentional and "by no means malicious."
- White House Delays Next Trump-Putin Summit Until 2019 VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- The White House said Wednesday that President Donald Trump and Russian leader Vladimir Putin will not hold a second summit until next year.
- US Government Seeks to Gag Lawyer for Russian National Mariia Butina Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- A trial date remains unset in the case of Russian national Mariia Butina, who was arrested on July 15 for acting as foreign agent of Russia but failing to register with US authorities, a claim Butina's defense denies.
- US Prosecution Wants to Classify Most Evidence in Russian National Butina's Case Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Legal defense for Russian national Maria Butina, who is accused of conspiring to act as an agent of a foreign government, will appeal her detention in the US within two weeks, according to her lawyer.
- British Man Says Novichok Was In Perfume Bottle He Gave Partner RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- A British man poisoned with Novichok has said in interviews that he found a perfume bottle that contained the deadly nerve agent and unknowingly gave it to his girlfriend, who sprayed the liquid on her wrists and later died.
- US Justice Dept Says Russian Citizen Indicted for Violating Export Control Laws Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Russian citizen Alexander Brazhnikov Senior has been indicted by a US federal grand jury for allegedly violating export control laws, the US Department of Justice announced in a press release on Wednesday.
- Talks Held between Vice Foreign Ministers of DPRK and China KCNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Talks were held between Ri Kil Song, vice foreign minister of the DPRK, and Kong Xuanyou, vice foreign minister of China, at the People's Palace of Culture Wednesday.
- North Korea's Dismantlement of Satellite Launching Station Can be Reversed Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Despite recent reports showing North Korea's initiative to dismantle its Sohae Satellite Launching Station, US intelligence sources have indicated that all efforts put forth could be reversed.
- Pompeo: North Korea Still Making Fuel for Nuclear Bombs VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- North Korea is still producing fuel for nuclear bombs despite pledges to give up its nuclear program, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday.
- Iran's Rohani Says No Need To Respond To 'Empty Threats' From U.S. RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has said he feels no need to respond to what hecalled "empty threats" from U.S. President Donald Trump.
- After Threats, Trump Says Ready To Negotiate 'Real' Nuclear Deal With Iran RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- Two days after exchanging harsh warnings with Iranian leaders, U.S. President Donald Trump says he is still eager to negotiate a new nuclear deal with Tehran.
- Heavy water production goes on as before IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Behrouz Kamalvandi says heavy water production in Iran has not stopped and goes on as before.
- US must forget about holding one-sided negotiations with Iran: Foreign Ministry Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi says the US should forget about the possibility of holding one-sided negotiations with the Islamic Republic "under the shadow of threats."
- Iran: Resistance strongest response to US empty rhetoric Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says national integrity, unity and resistance provide the most powerful response to the United States' adversity and inappropriate rhetoric.
- Taiwan won't disappear because of Beijing's bullying: MOFA CNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Taiwan is Taiwan and will not disappear because of Beijing's bullying, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Wednesday in a stern protest against China as a deadline set by Beijing on foreign airlines to refer to Taiwan as part of China drew near.
- Taiwan will reach out to world despite Chinese pressure: president CNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Taiwan's resolution to reach out to the world will not change, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Wednesday in response to the cancellation of the East Asian Youth Games in Taichung in 2019 under pressure from Beijing.
- U.S. reiterates objection to China's name-change demands CNA 25 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. Department of State repeated its objection to China's demand Tuesday that private airlines must change their designation of Taiwan, one day before Beijing's name-change deadline of July 25.
- Government mulls legal action amid Chinese pressure on airlines CNA 25 Jul 2018 -- In late April, China's Civil Aviation Administration (CAA) sent a letter to 44 foreign air carriers, saying that their websites' references to Taiwan violate Chinese law and go against its one-China policy that sees Taiwan as part of its territory.
- China calls on U.S. government to urge relevant enterprises to observe one-China principle People's Daily 25 Jul 2018 -- China on Tuesday called on the U.S. government to urge relevant U.S. airlines to observe the one-China principle.
- China Warns US Against Tightening Military Cooperation With Taiwan Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- Beijing is "extremely discontent" with the United States' plan to develop military cooperation with Taiwan and warns Washington against jeopardizing stability in the region, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Wednesday.
- US Airlines Bow to Chinese Pressure, Change Taiwan Reference VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- Three U.S. airlines have agreed to China's demands to change how it refers to Taiwan on their websites ahead of a Wednesday deadline imposed by Beijing.
- China, South Africa agree to carry forward traditional friendship, achieve greater results in ties People's Daily 25 Jul 2018 -- China and South Africa on Tuesday pledged to carry forward their traditional friendly relations and advance their comprehensive strategic partnership in the new era.
- Pakistan general elections:Polling ends, counting begins IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Polling to elect members of National Assembly the upper house of Pakistan's parliament and four Provincial Assemblies has come to an end and the process to count votes begins.
- Election underway in Pakistan under strict security measures IRNA 25 Jul 2018 -- Polling to elect members of National Assembly and four Provincial Assemblies is underway across Pakistan under strict security measures.
- Pakistan election day marred by bloodshed, rigging fears Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- A bloody bombing attack has cast dark shadows over Pakistan's long-awaited election day, despite the deployment of hundreds of thousands of troops to secure a consequential vote that would lead to a rare democratic transition of power in the country's 71-year history.
- Pakistan Party Chief Rejects Election Results Before They Are Known RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- The head of Pakistan's ruling party has rejected the results of the June 25 parliamentary polls before they have been announced, saying the election was rigged.
- Pakistan: UN chief condemns suicide attack that killed dozens near polling station UN News 25 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, on Wednesday condemned the killing of dozens of people near a polling station in the western city of Quetta due to a suicide attack, as voters headed to the polls in Pakistan's general elections.
- Violence-Hit Pakistan Polls Close, Vote Count Underway VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- The polls have closed and vote counting is underway in Pakistan where nearly 106 million people cast their ballots in Wednesday's violence-marred general elections.
- Bin Salman fears provoking Saudi capital flight - FT Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- A new report shows wealthy Saudis are reluctant to make internal investments over fears that they may be targeted and robbed of their assets by the security apparatus of Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman – as happened to many others last year.
- Turkey moves to adopt security law after ending controversial emergency rule Press TV 25 Jul 2018 -- Only days after lifting a controversial state of emergency, Turkey moves to approve a new security law, which critics say will result in continued crackdown on opposition and provide state officials with non-liability for important decisions.
- Turkish Parl't Passes Anti-Terror Bill After Lifting State of Emergency -– Report Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- The Turkish unicameral parliament approved an anti-terror bill on Wednesday, extending the powers that the authorities had exercised under the recently ended state of emergency, the Anadolu news agency reported.
- Ankara's Rising Balkan Influence Rattles Allies VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- Turkey is expanding its economic and cultural influence over the Balkans, and analysts say the strategy, which targets the region's large Muslim minorities, is worrying some of its Western allies.
- Cambodian Ruling Party Faces Little Challenge in Sunday's Election VOA 25 Jul 2018 -- Cambodians vote Sunday for all 125 seats in the country's National Assembly, with Prime Minister Hun Sen's Cambodian People's Party largely expected to stay in power. The party has won the four previous elections, held at five-year intervals.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|