12 July 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 12 Jul 2018 [PDF]
- May increases troops in Afghanistan to meet Trump's demands Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has decided to increase the number of British troops in Afghanistan to over 1,000, as the NATO military alliance tries to meet the demands of US President Donald Trump.
- Taliban Attacks Kill Dozens In Northern Afghanistan RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- A series of near-simultaneous attacks blamed on the Taliban have killed dozens of Afghan soldiers in the country's northern Kunduz Province, security forces say.
- Taliban Attack on Afghan Army Base Kills 30 Soldiers VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- Taliban insurgents stormed a key military base in northeastern Afghanistan, killing at least 30 soldiers and wounding 17 others.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunters assist with monsoon research AFNS 12 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. Air Force Reserve's 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron spent part of June in Sri Lanka flying missions over the Indian Ocean as part of a research project to study the island's atmosphere and predict monsoon patterns.
- Task Force Alamo Arrives in Djibouti, Assumes Security Mission AFPS 12 Jul 2018 -- One Texas Army National Guard battalion transferred security force responsibilities for Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa to another at a ceremony here July 5.
- Pentagon Announces Changes to Post-9/11 GI Bill DoD 12 Jul 2018 -- The Department of Defense issued a substantive change today to department policy on the transfer by service members in the Uniformed Services of"Post-9/11 GI Bill" educational benefits to eligible family member recipients. e
- RIMPAC Mine Warfare Operations Underway in SOCAL NNS 12 Jul 2018 -- Commander Task Force (CTF) 177, led by U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Dave Welch, commander, Naval Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center (SMWDC) and the Navy's Global Mine Warfare Commander, kicked off the Southern California (SOCAL) portion of the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) with mine warfare training operations which run from June 27 to Aug. 2.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Conducts Air Defense Exercise NNS 12 Jul 2018 -- The Ronald Reagan Strike Group, including Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5 and the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Milius (DDG 69), participated in an air defense exercise (ADEX) while underway in the Philippine Sea July 6-7.
- United States and China Host Regional Counter Nuclear Smuggling Workshop US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2018 -- The United States and China jointly hosted a regional workshop on Counter Nuclear Smuggling from July 10 - 12, 2018, at the China National Nuclear Security Center of Excellence outside of Beijing.
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the conclusion of the Brussels Summit NATO 12 Jul 2018 /li>
- 16 NATO Allies and 3 partners agree to acquire land munitions together NATO 12 Jul 2018 -- Under the leadership of Belgium, the Defence Ministers of 16 Allies╣ and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia▓ signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Multinational Cooperation for the Provision of Land Battle Decisive Munitions (LBDM) in Brussels during the NATO Summit (11 and 12 July 2018). The Defence Ministers of Austria and Finland will also sign the MOU immediately following the NATO Summit.
- Trump Says NATO Allies Agree At Emergency Session To Raise Defense Spending RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says NATO allies have agreed to speed up increasing their defense spending following criticisms he made at a NATO summit in Brussels.
- NATO Summit first day overshadowed by tensions between allies People's Daily 12 Jul 2018 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit began Wednesday in Brussels with verbal fireworks as recent tensions between allies and the United States were laid bare by U.S. President Donald Trump in a growing row over burden sharing and foreign influence.
- NATO Commander: Baltic Presence 'Necessary' To Stop Russian 'Aggression' RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- NATO's deployment of additional resources to the Baltic region despite Russia's opposition was a "necessary step" based on Moscow's "aggressive actions," the Western military alliance's supreme commander says.
- Macron Denies Claims Trump Threatened to Leave NATO During Summit Sputnik 12 Jul 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday refuted media reports claiming that US President Donald Trump threatened that the United States would withdraw from NATO during the alliance's summit in Brussels.
- 'I Believe in NATO': Trump Says Bloc's Members Agreed to Boost Defense Spending Sputnik 12 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump finished his two-day visit to the NATO summit in Brussels by reaffirming his commitment to the alliance and claiming that member nations agreed to his demands to significantly increase defense spending.
- Trump Declares NATO Victory With Spending Commitments From Allies VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump declared victory Thursday as the NATO summit ended, saying he had won commitments from other countries to increase their defense spending after he had complained that Washington for too long has borne the brunt of financing the West's key military alliance.
- Remarks by President Trump at Press Conference After NATO Summit | Brussels, Belgium The White House 12 Jul 2018
- Georgia Ready To Commit To Joining NATO 'Today,' President Says RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili has told RFE/RL that his country can "commit to joining [NATO] today," saying that his country has "fulfilled basically every requirement" needed to become a member of the alliance.
- Georgia 'Deserves' to Become Part of NATO Alliance - Stoltenberg Sputnik 12 Jul 2018 -- Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg agreed on Thursday that Georgia should become a member of the alliance.
- NATO Welcomes Start Of Macedonia Membership Talks As Moscow Fumes RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg has officially greeted Macedonian Prime Minister Zoran Zaev in a ceremony to mark the start of membership talks, a development that drew an angry response from Moscow.
- NATO Secretary General and Prime Minister Zaev mark the beginning of accession talks NATO 12 Jul 2018 -- The NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Prime Minister Zaev on Thursday 12 July 2018 for a ceremony marking the beginning of accession talks with Skopje.
- NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- NATO has formally invited the Republic of Macedonia, one of the successor states of the former Yugoslavia, to begin accession talks to join the Western military alliance, in what is seen as an attempt by NATO to extend its reach in the Balkans in open defiance of Russia.
- Meeting of Foreign Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS at NATO HQ US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2018- - U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg hosted a meeting with the foreign ministers of select members of the Coalition to Defeat ISIS on the sidelines of the NATO Summit on July 12.
- Remarks by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at a press point with the President of Ukraine, Petro Poroshenko (NATO Summit Brussels) NATO 12 Jul 2018
- Qasemi: NATO concern over Iran missile program is baseless IRNA 12 Jul 2018 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi says NATO concern over Iran missile program is baseless.
- Iran: NATO allegations made under US pressure Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Iran has rejected "baseless and unwarranted" concerns voiced by NATO leaders about Tehran's missile program during a Wednesday summit and condemned their "repetitious" accusations against the country.
- Mexico Cancels US Maritime Helicopter Order: Could It Go With Russia Instead? Sputnik 12 Jul 2018 -- Mexican President-elect Andres Mannuel Lopez Obrador plans to cancel a $1.36 billion order for 8 MH-60R Seahawk helicopters for the country's Navy. The gunships, intended for use to counter the drug trade, are just too expensive, Obrador says. But are there more affordable alternatives with similar capabilities out there? Sputnik explores.
- Background Briefing Previewing Secretary Pompeo's Upcoming Travel to Mexico US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2018 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Official
- DoD News: Contracts for July 12, 2018
- With NATO Defense Buildup, US Weapons Makers Could Benefit VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- With Thursday's renewed pledge by NATO countries to meet defense spending goals, some of the biggest beneficiaries could be U.S. weapons manufacturers, which annually already export billions of dollars worth of arms across the globe.
- As Demand Soars, US Arms Maker to Double Production of Enhanced Patriot Missiles Sputnik 12 Jul 2018 -- The US and its allies are apparently running low on military hardware to throw at conflicts simmering around the globe, but Lockheed Martin is coming to the rescue, preparing to more than double production of the latest version of its Patriot missile as worldwide demand soars.
- Saudi jet fighter downed in northern Yemen IRNA 12 Jul 2018 -- An official with Yemen Defense Ministry said late Thursday that a Saudi Arabian jet fighter was downed on the way back from a military operation in Saada province in northern Yemen.
- Yemeni forces shoot down Saudi jet in Asir: Ministry Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Yemen's Defense Ministry says the country's air defense forces shot down a fighter jet in southwest Saudi Arabia in retaliation for fresh airstrikes by the kingdom against its impoverished neighbor.
- Syrian army advances in Daraa western countryside IRNA 12 Jul 2018 -- Units of the Syrian Arab Army advanced in the direction of Tal al-Ashari and Jelin town in the western countryside of Daraa after inflicting heavy losses upon terrorists' ranks and equipment.
- Syrian army hoists national flag in Dara'a city Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- The Syrian army has raised the national flag over the southern city of Dara'a as a major counter-terrorism operation nears an end, with foreign-backed militants leaving the region in negotiated surrender deals.
- New Israeli aggression on military posts in Quneitra IRNA 12 Jul 2018 -- Warplanes of the Zionist regime launched a missile attack on some military posts in Quneitra Countryside, causing material damage.
- Senior PKK terrorist killed in anti-terror operation in Turkey's Bitlis Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Turkish gendarmerie forces have killed a high-ranking member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation in the country's eastern province of Bitlis.
- Joint Statement on Welcoming Libyan National Oil Corporation Resuming Production US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2018 -- The text of the following statement on Libya was released by the Governments of the United States of America, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
- Hearing 'horrific' testimonies from rape survivors in South Sudan, UN envoy says they yearn only for peace UN News 12 Jul 2018 -- Since the start of the conflict in South Sudan, widespread and systematic sexual violence has been a pervasive tactic of war and terror, said a high-level United Nations envoy, after visiting the war-torn country and hearing "horrific" testimonies.
- UN emergency fund releases $15 million to help Ethiopians affected by inter-communal violence UN News 12 Jul 2018 -- A United Nations emergency fund on Thursday released $15 million to urgently scale up humanitarian assistance to people affected by escalating inter-communal violence in Ethiopia.
- Russia says Trump's pipeline comments meant to bully Europe into buying US energy supplies Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Moscow has criticized US President Donald Trump for his comments on a major pipeline project that will double the amount of gas transferred from Russia to Germany, saying the comments are meant to dissuade the country's gas customers and force them to buy American energy supplies instead.
- LNG Suppliers Try to Force EU to Purchase More Expensive Gas - Kremlin Sputnik 12 Jul 2018 -- Earlier in the day, Washington reiterated its opposition to the Moscow-initiated Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project, threatening to sanction any firms working in the Russian energy sector.
- NATO urges continued pressure on North Korea Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Leaders of the NATO member states have called on the international community to maintain "decisive pressure" on North Korea to force it to abandon its military nuclear program, including by fully implementing existing United Nations (UN) sanctions.
- North Korea a No-Show for Talks With US on Korean War Dead VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- North Korea failed to show up Thursday for talks with U.S. officials on returning the remains of American war dead from the Korean War in the early 1950s, a new sign of tension between the two countries.
- Russian president gets message from Iran Leader Ayatollah Khamenei Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- A senior Iranian official has conveyed a message from Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei to Russian President Vladimir Putin during a meeting in Moscow.
- Iranian Supreme Leader's Adviser Hails 'Very Constructive' Meeting With Putin RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- A top adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said he had a "very constructive and friendly" meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow.
- Trump Says Tehran Now Treating U.S. With 'More Respect' RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said he expects to receive a call from Iranian officials in the future with an offer to alleviate Washington's security concerns.
- Latest US tariff threat slammed People's Daily 12 Jul 2018 -- China denounced the United States' latest threat to impose tariffs on an extra $200 billion worth of Chinese imports as "totally unacceptable" trade hegemony and bullying, and vowed on Wednesday to fight back to protect its "core interests".
- China says no trade talks with US unless Washington revises policy Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- China's deputy commerce minister says Beijing would not be willing to start any talks on easing trade tensions unless the United States took "the gun off" Beijing's head.
- China planning to retaliate against US 'in other ways' Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- China is reportedly reviewing plans to hit back at aggressive US trade measures "in other ways," a report says, citing Chinese officials.
- Nazarbaev Becomes Security Council's Chairman For Life RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev has become the head of the Central Asian country's Security Council for life.
- Pakistani police arrest ex-PM Sharif's supporters ahead of his return from UK Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Pakistani police have detained hundreds of supporters of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif in eastern Punjab province ahead of the ousted leader's return from London.
- Pakistani Ex-PM's Party Alleges 'Huge Crackdown,' Arrest Of Supporters RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- The party of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has alleged that the authorities are detaining hundreds of supporters ahead of the ousted leader's return to Pakistan this week.
- Pakistani Killing Sparks Debate on Candidate Safety VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- The killing of Haroon Bilour, a prominent politician from Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, has sparked a debate about the state's security measures and its ability to ensure the safety of politicians ahead of Pakistan general elections scheduled for this month.
- Sharif Set to Return to Pakistan Amid Crackdown on Supporters VOA 12 Jul 2018 -- Police in Pakistan allegedly have rounded up hundreds of supporters of former prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, a day before he is due to return to the country with his daughter, political heir Maryam Nawaz, where both face arrest.
- Riyadh detains Islamic scholar as crackdown on dissent intensifies Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has taken into custody a prominent Muslim scholar as part of an ongoing campaign to silence dissidents in the kingdom.
- Turkish court gives life imprisonment to 72 over coup bridge killings Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- A Turkish court has handed down life sentences to 72 defendants for their roles in clashes on an Istanbul bridge that led to the deaths of dozens of people, including a key aide of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during an abortive coup two years ago.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Approve Anticorruption-Court Amendment in Bid For IMF Aid RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- Ukrainian lawmakers have approved an amendment to a law establishing an anticorruption court in an effort to secure more funding under a $17.5 billion aid-for-reforms program with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Greece Moves To Expel, Ban Russian Diplomats RFE/RL 12 Jul 2018 -- Greece has moved to expel two Russian diplomats and to block two others from entering over suspicions they attempted to undermine a deal between Athens and Macedonia last month, a Greek official told the Associated Press.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|