01 July 2018 Military News
- Deadly explosion hits Afghanistan's Jalalabad Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- At least a dozen people have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries in an explosion that hit the city center in eastern Afghanistan's Jalalabad.
- Daesh beheads three in Afghanistan Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Suspected Takfiri Daesh terrorists in Afghanistan have decapitated three people at a boys' school and set the building on fire in an attack carried out in the country's violence-ridden east.
- Suicide Attacker Targets Hindus, Sikhs In Eastern Afghanistan RFE/RL 01 Jul 2018 -- Afghan officials say at least 19 people were killed when a suicide bomber targeted a group of Hindus and Sikhs on their way to meet the country's president in the eastern province on Nangarhar.
- Deadly Bomb Hits Afghan Hindus, Sikhs VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- Afghan officials say a suicide bomb blast has killed at least 19 people, including at least 10 members of the country's tiny Hindu and Sikh minority, in the eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US's New Nuclear Gravity Bomb Successfully Tested by B-2 Bomber - Pentagon Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- Once deployed, the low to intermediate-yield tactical and strategic weapons will replace existing B61 bombs at the US's European and Turkish bases.
- India to Adopt New Nuclear-Capable ICBM as 'Strategic Deterrent' - Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Indian military is reportedly poised to adopt a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads and striking targets located thousands of kilometers away.
- India Reportedly Approves Supplies of Russian S-400 Despite US Discontent Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- Indian Defense Acquisitions Council (DAC) has approved the "minor deviations" in the deal on deliveries of Russian S-400 Triumph air defense missile systems to New Delhi despite the US sanctions, the Times of India newspaper reported on Sunday, citing top sources.
- Iran Navy's 53rd carrier strike group berths in Bandar Abbas ISNA 01 Jul 2018 -- The 53rd carrier strike group of Iranian Navy berthed in the port city of Bandar Abbas on the Persian Gulf.
- German Intel Claims Iran Trying to Illegally Acquire Tech for Missile Program Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- In its report, a local office of the German homeland security agency has alleged that the Islamic Republic has repeatedly tried to get its hands on the goods and technology necessary for developing weapons of mass destruction, and is working on its missile program.
- Japan May Start to Use Unmanned Flying Vehicles by 2020 – Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Japanese government is going to create a special council this year to develop the necessary basis for practical use of unmanned flying vehicles by 2020, the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reported on Sunday.
- Belgian court suspends arms exports to Saudi Arabia Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Belgium's Supreme Administrative Court has suspended eight licenses for export of arms to Saudi Arabia, citing the kingdom's human rights record.
- Officials praise new pension reforms as they come into force CNA 01 Jul 2018 -- With pension reforms for civil servants, teachers and military personnel coming into force Sunday, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said she was thankful to those affected by the pension cuts for their understanding of the need for reform, as that made it possible.
- Coalition Suspends Op on Yemeni Port to Bolster Talks With Houthis – UAE FM Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Saudi-led coalition of mostly Persian Gulf nations has suspended the offensive on the Yemeni port of Al Hodeidah in order to promote peace talks with the Houthi rebel movement, UAE Foreign Minister Anwar Gargash said on Sunday.
- UAE suspends offensive against Yemen's Hudaydah Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- The United Arab Emirates has announced a pause in its weeks-long military campaign on Hudaydah amid reports that the Saudi-led push has hit a brick wall in the face of stiff resistance from Yemen's Houthis.
- 'Pause' Started in Yemen Campaign VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- The United Arab Emirates said Sunday a "pause" in the Saudi-led military campaign to retake Yemen's port city of Hodeida is designed to allow the United Nation special envoy time to shuttle between the warring parties.
- Militants hand over heavy weapons in southwestern Syria: Report Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Terrorists groups in Syria's southwestern town of Dara'a have began handing in the weapons to government forces.
- Bolton: Trump, Putin to meet on Iran's presence in Syria IRNA 01 Jul 2018 -- US national security adviser John Bolton said on Sunday that President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin are to discuss Iran's presence in Syria during their upcoming meeting in Finland.
- Foreign-backed Syria militants resume peace talks with Russia Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants have re-launched peace negotiations with the Russian military in a bid to reach a ceasefire in southwestern Syria as government troops and allied fighters from popular defense groups are making territorial gains there.
- Russian military shoots down unidentified drones at Hmeimim air base in Syria Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- The Russian military says it has destroyed a group of unidentified drones after they approached its air base in Syria's western coastal province of Latakia, from which Russian fighter jets conduct airstrikes against Daesh terrorists and foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the conflict-plagued Arab country.
- UK Warplanes Bomb Pro-Gov't Forces in Syria After Attack by 'Unidentified Force' Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Royal Air Force strike on Syrian troops is the first of its kind since April, when the US, UK and France launched missile strikes against multiple targets in the Arab republic after an alleged chemical attack in Douma.
- Russian Military Resumes Talks With Armed Groups in Southern Syria - Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The negotiations between the Russian military and the outlawed armed groups in southern Syria have been resumed, Al Mayadeen reported Sunday, citing a spokesman of the opposition forces.
- Russia Destroys Unidentified Drones Flying Over Hmeymim Airbase in Syria - MoD Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- No damage or victims were reported as a result of the incident in the sky over the Hmeymim airbase. The air defenses of the Russian base have been boosted following a massive drone attack in January.
- Suicide attack on ballot boxes injures 14 in Kirkuk IRNA 01 Jul 2018 -- According to a military source in Kirkuk, twin suicide attacks on a building for storing ballot boxes injured 14 security forces on Sunday in the city of Kirkuk, Iraq.
- Iraq begins building border fence with Syria to block Daesh entry Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Iraq has embarked on a project to erect a fence along its border with Syria as it seeks to block any attempt by Daesh Takfiri militants to enter the country.
- Deadly car bomb hits Kirkuk ahead of vote recount Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- An attacker has detonated a car bomb in the Iraqi oil city of Kirkuk two days before the northern city is set to host a recount of votes from the country's May parliamentary polls.
- Suicide Bombing Strikes Ballot Warehouse In Iraq RFE/RL 01 Jul 2018 -- A suicide bomber has targeted a storage site in northern Iraq containing ballot boxes from the May parliamentary elections, wounding at least 19 people, officials say.
- Turkish fighter jets 'neutralize' 8 Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq, southeastern Turkey Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Turkish military aircraft have "neutralized" eight members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they separately carried out a string of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region as well as southeastern Turkey.
- Turkish Army Handing Over Order Control in Afrin to Local Police - Official Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Turkish military have commenced the transition of order control functions in the northern Syrian city of Afrin to the local police, a coordinator of the Turkish humanitarian mission in Afrin said Sunday.
- Myanmar still unsafe for return of Rohingya: Red Cross Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) says it is not yet safe for thousands of Rohingya Muslims living in overcrowded refugee camps in Bangladesh to begin returning to their homeland of Rakhine state in Myanmar.
- Bolton: U.S., Russia 'Have To Agree To Disagree On Ukraine' RFE/RL 01 Jul 2018 -- White House national security adviser John Bolton says that he has discussed Russia's illegal annexation of Crimea with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- African Union urges action on South Sudan after ceasefire breakdown Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- The African Union (AU) has called for action regarding the situation in South Sudan, where a recent ceasefire agreement between feuding parties collapsed soon after it was reached.
- 6 French Troops Killed, 2 Civilians Injured in Attack on Patrol in Mali - Source Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The attack took place amid the ongoing African Union summit in neighboring Mauritania, attended by French President Emmanuel Macron and African leaders, with the anti-terror fight on the agenda of the talks.
- 4 Killed in Attack on French-Malian Patrol in North Mali VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- Four civilians were killed in an attack targeting a French patrol in Mali Sunday, according to the country's Defense Ministry.
- 5 Civilians Dead in Mogadishu Mortar Attack VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- At least five civilians were killed and more than 10 others wounded after al-Shabab militants fired mortars in a residential areas of Somalia's capital, Mogadishu.
- Israel deploys more artillery, armored reinforcements in occupied Golan Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Israel has beefed up its military presence in the occupied Golan Heights by deploying additional tanks and cannons in the vicinity of the Syrian border, cautioning Damascus to keep its forces away from the frontier as Syrian troops continue sweeping militant-held areas over the border.
- Israel Wants Only Pro-Assad Troops at Border, Boosts Presence Near Syria Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Israeli military has reportedly drawn its "red lines" for the ongoing fighting between the Syrian government and militants along its northern border, ruling out a direct clash with pro-Assad forces and claiming that they alone must take over the conflict zone.
- Putin Assured Bolton of Non-Interference in Presidential Election - Trump's Aide Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton said Sunday that during his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin the Russian leader assured him that there was no Moscow's meddling in the US 2016 presidential election.
- White House Amends Statement on Saudi King's Vow to Help Stabilize Oil Market Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and US President Donald Trump have agreed on the need for a balanced global oil market, the White House said in a statement; earlier, on Twitter, Trump had cited "turmoil & disfunction" (sic) in Iran and Venezuela as reasons to increase production.
- Saudi King Made No Promises on Oil Production Despite Trump's Request - Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has made no specific promises to US President Donald Trump on the increase of oil production, according to media reports.
- Trump Defends Embattled Immigration Control Agency VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday defended the country's embattled immigration control agency against calls by some opposition Democrats to abolish it.
- Russians Rally Against 'Cannibalistic' Pension Reform RFE/RL 01 Jul 2018 -- Thousands of people have taken to the streets across Russia to protest against the government's plan to raise the retirement age.
- US devises plan to dismantle N Korea nuclear program in a year: Bolton Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- The United States has devised a plan to demolish North Korea's nuclear weapons program within a year, White House National Security Adviser John Bolton has said.
- US: North Korea Could Dismantle Nuclear Program within a Year VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said Sunday he believes that most of North Korea's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs can be dismantled within a year.
- Two Koreas resume naval communications after a decade Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- North and South Korea have reopened a bilateral naval communication channel, with vessels from the two countries now making radio contact for the first time in over a decade.
- Kim Reportedly Asked Xi to Help Lifting Sanctions, Seeking China's Support Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has appealed to Chinese President Xi Jinping to help get sanctions against Pyongyang removed during their June meeting in Beijing, the Japanese Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reported on Sunday, citing sources familiar with the matter.
- South Korea, North Korea Resume Maritime Communication Hot Line Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- South Korea and North Korea resumed the maritime communication hot line in order to prevent possible incidents, local media reported on Sunday.
- US Intelligence Believes DPRK Going to Conceal Part of Nuclear Arsenal – Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The US intelligence believes that North Korea is not going to fully destroy its nuclear arsenal and looking for the ways to conceal some of its weapons, US media reported.
- Trump signals sanctions on EU companies over Iran IRNA 01 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump warned European companies that they would face secondary sanctions if they violated US restrictions on doing business with Tehran following Washington's move to pull out of the Iran nuclear deal.
- Iran plans private-sector oil sales to thwart US sanction: First VP Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Iran's first vice president says the country is considering oil exports by the private sector in a bid to thwart forthcoming US sanctions, which mostly aim to curtail the Islamic Republic's revenues by blocking its crude oil exports.
- Nicaraguans rally against president across country Press TV 01 Jul 2018 -- Thousands of people have taken to the streets across Nicaragua to protest against President Daniel Ortega, whom they accuse of being a dictator.
- Chisinau Demonstrators Protest Decision To Void Mayoral Election RFE/RL 01 Jul 2018 -- Tens of thousands of people have gathered in the center of Moldova's capital for another protest rally against the invalidation of last month's mayoral election.
- Mexicans Vote to Elect New President VOA 01 Jul 2018 -- Mexicans are going to the polls Sunday, as a leftist who has vowed to "put [U.S. President Donald Trump] in his place" is widely expected to replace outgoing President Enrique Pena Nieto.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|