02 June 2018 Military News
- Half of Afghan children out of school, due to conflict, poverty, discrimination: UNICEF UN News 02 Jun 2018 -- Nearly 3.7 million Afghan children are missing out on school, due to on-going conflict, grinding poverty, and discrimination against girls, according to a new report from the UN Children's Fund, UNICEF.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong DoD 02 Jun 2018
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Singaporean Minister of Defence Dr. Ng Eng Hen DoD 02 Jun 2018
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Philippine Secretary of National Defense Delfin Lorenzana DoD 02 Jun 2018
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis at Plenary Session of the 2018 Shangri-La Dialogue DoD 02 Jun 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis; John Chipman, Director-General and Chief Executive, IISS
- Google will not renew Pentagon Artificial Intelligence project next year Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Google will reportedly not extend its controversial contract with the Pentagon for artificial intelligence (AI) work, after it prompted strong opposition in the technology giant's workforce, who feared the program could be used for lethal purposes.
- US Navy to Get Norwegian 'Ship Killer' Missiles for Costly Littoral Combat Ships Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- The 'Naval Strike Missile' (NSM) was submitted for consideration to the US Navy by Norwegian defense firm Kongsberg Defense Systems jointly with US defense contractor Raytheon, beating out offerings from Boeing and Lockheed Martin.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller addresses the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore NATO 02 Jun 2018 -- Speaking at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore on Saturday (2 June 2018) the NATO Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller said that NATO is determined to strengthen its cyber-defences.
- NATO Chief Says Israel to Receive No Military Aid From Bloc, If Iran Attacks Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview with German magazine Spiegel that the military alliance would not provide help for Israel in case of a potential attack from Iran.
- Russia to dispatch new missile cruiser to Mediterranean Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Russia plans to dispatch its new cruise missile-launching warship to the Mediterranean to join the country's naval task force in the region.
- J-20 fighter takes part in nighttime exercise in air superiority role People's Daily 02 Jun 2018 -- China's domestically-developed J-20 stealth fighter recently took part in a nighttime training exercise with J-16 and J-10c fighters in an effort to further improve the combat capability of China's air force, the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF).
- China reaffirms security responsibility at Shangri-La Dialogue People's Daily 02 Jun 2018 -- The 17th Shangri-La Dialogue (SLD), a multilateral platform on Asia-Pacific defense and security, opened in Singapore on Friday night, putting the challenges to Asia's security at the top of the agenda.
- India to buy anti-tank missiles from Israel Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- India is reportedly set to buy a batch of anti-tank guided missiles from Israel in a bid to boost its military capabilities against arch-rival Pakistan.
- Missile capabilities, Iran red line: IRGC official IRNA 02 Jun 2018 -- The Missile capabilities is the Islamic Republic's redline and is non-negotiable, a senior official of the Islamic Revolution's Guards Corps (IRGC) official said.
- Iran's army fighter crashes in Isfahan province; no casualty reported ISNA 02 Jun 2018 -- An Iranian military fighter crashed in the country's central province of Isfahan on Saturday.
- Missile capability Iran's red line, non-negotiable: IRGC Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- A senior commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says defense and missile capabilities are Iran's red line, stressing that Tehran has not held and will never hold any negotiations with the Europeans in this regard.
- Iran Armed Forces will not hesitate to respond to threats: Military chief Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri says any threat or possible act of aggression by enemies will be met with a firm and crushing response.
- Iranian Army fighter jet crashes in central Isfahan province Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- An F-7 fighter jet of the Iranian Air Force has crashed in the central province of Isfahan.
- U.S. defense secretary reaffirms commitment to Taiwan CNA 02 Jun 2018 -- The United States remains committed to working with Taiwan to provide defense articles and services necessary to maintain sufficient self-defense capability under the Taiwan Relations Act, U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis said Saturday.
- Turkey's Erdogan calls on NATO ally US to fulfill its strategic partner role Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on its NATO ally the US to act as a strategic partner instead of blocking its arms deals.
- Erdogan Again Warns US Not to Abandon F-35 Deal Over S-400 Supplies to Turkey Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- In April, US Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Wess Mitchell declared that Turkey's purchase of a S-400 air defense system from Russia could negatively affect the delivery of F-35 jets to Ankara.
- Russia Plans to Supply S-400 to Qatar Despite Saudi Opposition – Lawmaker Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- Russia's plans to supply S-400 Triumf air defense systems to Qatar will not be affected by the opposition of Saudi Arabia, Russian senior lawmaker Aleksei Kondratyev told Sputnik.
- French Media Claims Saudi King Ponders 'Military Action' Over Qatari S-400 Deal Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- A prominent French newspaper warned that Riyadh may seek to thwart a possible sale of Russian-made anti-aircraft weaponry to Qatar due to concerns about the safety of Saudi airspace.
- Poroshenko, Pompeo Discuss Boosting Ukrainian-U.S. Defense Cooperation RFE/RL 02 Jun 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have discussed ways to boost defense and security cooperation between the two countries during a telephone call, the Ukrainian presidential office said on June 2.
- Mattis: China Trying to Intimidate Neighbors in S. China Sea VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Saturday slammed China's militarization of disputed South China Sea islands, insisting that weapons systems recently deployed in the area were meant to intimidate and coerce Beijing's neighbors.
- US Defense Secretary Mattis Slams China for Militarising South China Sea Islands Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said that Chinese actions in South China Sea call into question China's broader goals.
- China Views US Claims on South China Sea Militarization as Meddling – Official Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- China has a sovereign right to deploy its forces and equipment on artificial South China Sea islands and considers any criticism of its actions an interference in its domestic affairs, Lt. Gen. He Lei, vice president of the People's Liberation Army's Academy of Military Science, said.
- US warns China over its actions in South China Sea Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warns that Washington will "compete vigorously" if China continues its actions in the South China Sea.
- Chinese general slams 'irresponsible comments' over South China Sea Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- A Chinese general has lashed out at comments, apparently from the United States, regarding Beijing's military build-up in the South China Sea region.
- Yemeni forces kill 5 Saudis in Jizan IRNA 02 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni forces in an operation killed 5 Saudi military forces in Jizan on Friday, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al Masirah' reported.
- Yemeni army destroys Saudi tank, vehicle IRNA 02 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni army and popular committees destroyed a Saudi tank and a military vehicle in Jizan, southwestern Saudi Arabia.
- Abu Dhabi within range of Yemeni missiles: Army spokesman Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Yemen's army spokesman has warned the UAE that its capital, Abu Dhabi, is "no longer safe" from missiles fired in retaliation for the Saudi-led military campaign on the impoverished state.
- Syria thanks Iran for advisory help to its army IRNA 02 Jun 2018 -- Syrian foreign minister thanked the Islamic Republic for sending military advisors to the war-torn county which is suffering from terrorism for more than seven years.
- Presence of Iranian military advisors in Syria legitimate: Muallem Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem says Iran has no military presence or bases in his country but Iranian military advisors are there to help Damascus fight terrorist groups.
- Damascus Strikes Oil Deal With Kurdish YPG - Reports Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- The agreement between the Syrian government and the Kurdish People's Protection Units reportedly applies to one of the most productive oilfields in Deir ez-Zor, a province held by Daesh militants till October 2017.
- Daesh remnants storm house, shoot dead 12 in northern Iraq Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- At least 12 civilians, all members of the same family, have been killed when the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group stormed a house in Iraq's northern province of Salahuddin.
- 15 PKK militants killed in airstrikes in Turkey, northern Iraq: Military Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- The Turkish military says the country's warplanes have "neutralized" at least 15 members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq and eastern Turkey.
- Al-Shabab Raid on Somalia Military Base Kills Several Soldiers VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- At least four Somali soldiers were killed and more than 10 others were wounded when al-Shabab militants stormed a military base in the semiautonomous region of Puntland in northeastern Somalia, witnesses said Saturday.
- 'Favour dialogue' over violence, UN chief urges all parties following clashes in Mali's capital UN News 02 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres called for "calm and restraint" on Saturday, following violent clashes between demonstrators and riot police in Mali's capital Bamako.
- Apple Reportedly No Longer Complying With Russian Ban On Telegram RFE/RL 02 Jun 2018 -- Apple is no longer complying with a Russian ban on Telegram and is now providing an updated version of the popular messaging service through its App store for iPhone users, Telegram said.
- Report: Plans Underway for Possible Trump-Putin Summit VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- White House officials are making plans for a possible summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to The Wall Street Journal.
- What to Expect From Singapore Summit VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- President Donald Trump on Friday said the June 12 summit in Singapore with North Korea was back on, after meeting with North Korean official Kim Yong Chol for more than an hour in the Oval Office of the White House. Dong Hyuk Lee, chief of VOA's Korean Service, weighs in on what we can expect from both sides in the lead-up to the summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- Japan, South Korea disagree on engaging North Korea's Kim in dialog Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Japan's Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera has challenged his South Korean counterpart on the need to engage the North in dialogue, insisting on unilateral dismantlement of Pyongyang's entire weapons program.
- US troops in South Korea not on table at Trump-Kim summit: Mattis Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- The issue of US troop presence in South Korea will not be "on the table" during a summit this month between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, Defense Secretary James Mattis said.
- Who Will Pay for Kim Jong-un's Hotel Room During US-DPRK Summit? Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- President Donald Trump announced on June 1 that his meeting with the DPRK's Kim Jong-un was still set to take place, a week after he had temporarily cancelled it. However, there is one stumbling block, according to The Washington Post: the summit organizers can't decide who will pay for the North Korean leader's stay in Singapore.
- Japan Defense Chief Warns Against Rewarding North Korea for Willingness to Talk Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera on Saturday warned the international community against rewarding North Korea solely for agreeing to engage in a dialogue.
- China does not follow US sanctions on Iran: AEOI spokesman ISNA 02 Jun 2018 -- The spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said that Iran is capable of completing the redesigned Arak reactor even in a "worst-case scenario".
- EU must defend 'core' of Iran nuclear deal: Commission chief Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- The European Union Commission chief, Jean-Claude Juncker, has warned about the adverse consequences of the United States' move to pull out from a key nuclear agreement Iran signed with the P5+1 group of countries in 2015, saying the EU must adopt measures to protect the deal's core provisions.
- China Steps Up Uighur Crackdown During Ramadan VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- The government in China is further tightening its grip on minority groups in the Uighur Autonomous Region of Xinjiang during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan as it continues to use its deradicalization campaign to suppress local residents, Uighur leaders and human rights activists warn.
- 5 New Suspected Ebola Cases Reported in DRC VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- The French news agency AFP is reporting five new suspected cases of the deadly Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- China launches new Earth observation satellite People's Daily 02 Jun 2018 -- China on Saturday launched a new Earth observation satellite, Gaofen-6, which will be mainly used in agricultural resources research and disaster monitoring.
- Turkish Foreign Minister Heads to US to Resolve Tensions VOA 02 Jun 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu is heading to Washington to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. The two-day visit starting Sunday seeks to resolve bilateral tensions between the NATO allies.
- Ukraine Claims Found List Of 47 Russian Assassination Targets RFE/RL 02 Jun 2018 -- Ukrainian authorities claim they have uncovered a hit-list of 47 people - mostly journalists - who are potential Russian assassination targets as a result of their sting operation staging the faked murder of exiled Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko.
- Abdel Fattah el-Sisi sworn in for 2nd term as Egyptian president Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has been sworn in as Egyptian president for a second four-year term in office as the North African country has hard time dealing with major economic and security challenges.
- Georgian Protest Leader Calls On 'All Political Parties' To Join Push RFE/RL 02 Jun 2018 -- The organizer of antigovernment rallies in Tbilisi urged "all political parties" in Georgia to join the protest movement as demonstrations continued into the early morning hours of June 3 in the South Caucasus nation.
- Protest In Tbilisi Pauses But No Change In Demands For New Government RFE/RL 02 Jun 2018 -- A rally by thousands of protesters demanding the resignation of Georgia's government ended in the early hours of the morning on June 2, but organizers said the demonstration would resume later in the evening.
- Delay Expected As Opposition Emerges To Settling Macedonia Name Dispute RFE/RL 02 Jun 2018 -- A deal resolving a decades-old dispute with Greece over Macedonia's name is not likely to be reached in coming days, a Greek government official said on June 1.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|