13 May 2018 Military News
- US Fears its al-Tanf Base in Syria May be Captured by Iranian Forces – Reports Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- In 2016 the United States established a training program for Free Syrian Army militants at its military base in al-Tanf to fight Daesh terrorists in the region.
- 9 killed in ongoing attacks in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Militants have staged a multi-pronged attack on a government building in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least nine people in the assault.
- Ten Killed In Attack In Eastern Afghanistan RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- At least 10 people have been killed and more than 40 injured in a coordinated attack by suicide bombers and gunmen at a government building in the city of Jalalabad.
- Afghan Army Helicopter Destroyed After Emergency Landing - Reports Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- A helicopter belonging to the Afghan National Army (ANA) crashed due to technical issues during an emergency landing in the country's southern Helmand province, the Pajhwok news agency reported, citing the Afghan Defense Ministry.
- Blast Kills at Least 6, Injures up to 20 in Afghanistan's Jalalabad - Reports Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- At least six people were killed and 20 more injured as a result of an explosion near a customs finance department in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, TOLO broadcaster reported citing the Health Department.
- Gunmen Storm Afghan Government Building, 12 Dead VOA 13 May 2018 -- Afghan officials say a group of gunman, including suicide bombers, stormed a government building in the eastern Nangarhar province Sunday, killing at least 12 people and wounding 42 others.
Defense Policy / Programs
- China's first domestically-built aircraft carrier sets out for sea trials Global Times 13 May 2018 -- China's first domestically built aircraft carrier set out to sea from a port outside the Dalian Shipyard Sunday morning to begin its first sea trial, as experts said the carrier will likely be delivered to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy by the end of this year.
- China's first indigenous carrier sets out for sea trials Press TV 13 May 2018 -- China has dispatched its first domestically-built aircraft carrier for sea trials, a sizable step toward modernizing the country's military and boosting its capabilities.
- China to Start Trials for First Domestically Built Aircraft Carrier - Reports Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- The new ship, which is set to boost the military capability of the country, is the second Chinese aircraft carrier, but the first to be fully designed in China, as the first - "Liaoning" - was built on the base of the unfinished Soviet aircraft carrier "Varyag."
- Taiwan navy rebuts claims of communication with China naval vessel CNA 13 May 2018 -- Taiwan's Navy rebutted claims of communicating with China's Navy out at sea in the wake of a media report describing one of Taiwan's Navy ships to have put themselves in an awkward situation when greeted by a Chinese naval vessel.
- US Donates Military Aircraft to Cameroon VOA 13 May 2018 -- The United States has given Cameroon two military aircraft to assist in the fight against Boko Haram militants. It adds to armored vehicles, U.S.-led training on landmine detection and the presence of U.S. Marines in the country.
- Saudi Forces Arrive at Yemen Island for Training, Support Mission - Reports Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- Saudi, Emirati and Yemeni military forces are set to conduct joint exercises on the island, which is listed as a world natural heritage site, AP reported, citing a spokesperson for the Saudi-led coalition.
- Russian Military Police Starts Patrolling Urban Area of Damascus Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- The Russian military police have started to patrol southern quarters of the Syrian capital, which were liberated from militants, a Sputnik correspondent reported from the scene on Sunday.
- Russia MoD: Syrian Government Forces Regain Control Over Yarmouk Eastern Area Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- A total of 9,368 militants and their relatives have been relocated from Syria's Homs de-escalation zone since Monday, Maj. Gen. Yuri Yevtushenko, the commander of the Russian reconciliation center for Syria, said Saturday.
- US Opening Jerusalem Embassy on Territorial Anomaly VOA 13 May 2018 -- The Jerusalem no man's land where the U.S. says part of its new embassy to Israel will be located is a territorial quirk of the Arab-Israeli conflict, a quirk that originated at the start of hostilities in 1948.
- Israel doubling troop deployments ahead of US embassy opening Press TV 12 May 2018 -- The Israeli military has announced that it will be doubling the number of forces around the Gaza Strip and in occupied West Bank territories ahead of the controversial opening of a US embassy in Jerusalem al-Quds.
- Besides nukes, North Korea must give up missiles if it wants détente: Bolton Press TV 13 May 2018 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton says North Korea must give up both its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs if it wants the détente with Washington to work.
- US Would Offer North Korea 'Security Assurances' if It Ended Nuclear Program VOA 13 May 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that if North Korea agrees to full denuclearization, the United States is prepared to "provide security assurances" for the Pyongyang government and allow private American investment to build out the country's woefully inadequate electrical grid.
- President: EU has limited time to preserve JCPOA IRNA 13 May 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani late Sunday reiterated the need for ensuring Iran's interests in the nuclear deal known as JCPOA, saying that European Union has restricted time for preserving the agreement.
- U.S. Security Adviser: Washington Not Pushing Iran 'Regime Change' RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- White House national security adviser John Bolton says "regime change" in Iran is not currently part of the administration's policy, despite his past suggestions that the United States should push for a new government in Tehran.
- Russia in Flurry of Diplomatic Activity Over Iran Deal VOA 13 May 2018 -- In the wake of President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw the United States from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, Russia unleashed a flurry of diplomatic activity aimed at keeping Iran and other remaining signatories committed to the agreement.
- Iran gives three European countries two months to save JCPOA IRNA 13 May 2018 -- The Iranian deputy foreign minister said that Iran has given European sides of Iran nuclear deal (France, Germany, UK) 45-60 days to ensure Iran's interests in the agreement.
- Iran to discuss banking relations with Europe IRNA 13 May 2018 -- Governor of the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) Valiollah Seif said on Sunday that establishment of relations with European major and central banks is among main issues to be discussed by Iran's foreign minister and five signatories to Iran nuclear deal.
- Judiciary spokesman: Verdict for nuclear spy definite IRNA 13 May 2018 -- Judiciary Spokesman Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei said on Sunday that investigations of the Judiciary proves that all charges leveled against Dori Isfahani on espionage charges were right and relative verdict will be definite.
- Iran calls for guarantees to stay in JCPOA IRNA 13 May 2018 -- Should the five countries remaining in the deal do their commitments and guarantee Iran's interests will be saved, the deal will stay, contrary to what the US and the Zionist regime wish, said Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Tehran on Sunday.
- US untrustworthiness proved to world: IRGC cmdr IRNA 13 May 2018 -- Mischief, deceit and untrustworthiness of the US are now tangible to the world, the commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said here on Sunday.
- French president worried about US pullout from Iran Deal IRNA 13 May 2018 -- In a phone conversation with his US counterpart, French President Immanuel Macron said that he is worried about tensions in the Middle East in the aftermath of US withdrawal from Iran Deal.
- Tehran to remain in JCPOA if other parties ensure Iran's interests: Rouhani ISNA 13 May 2018 -- Iranian President stressed that if the other five parties to the nuclear deal live up to their commitments and ensure the interests of Iran, the Islamic Republic of Iran will remain in the agreement.
- Zarif expresses hope to get more transparent picture of JCPOA's future ISNA 13 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif held talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on Sunday.
- Iran FM seeks 'clear vision' for nuclear deal after US exit Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says he seeks a "clearer image" of the future of a key nuclear agreement Tehran signed with the P5+1 group of countries in 2015 after the US withdrawal from the agreement.
- Iran to remain in nuclear deal if given guarantees: Rouhani Press TV 13 May 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iran will remain in the 2015 nuclear deal if other parties to the agreement guarantee the country's interests after the US left it.
- Iran to remain in nuclear deal if given guarantees: Rouhani Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Russia's Sukhoi Civil Aircraft says its plans to sell planes to Iran will not change despite the US re-imposing sanctions against the country.
- Zarif begins tour to gauge intl. seriousness on JCPOA Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has embarked on a whirlwind diplomatic tour to gauge international readiness to guarantee Iran's interests if it decides to remain in a nuclear deal after US withdrawal.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Visiting China, Moscow, Brussels To Discuss Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has expressed hope for a "clear future design" for the 2015 nuclear accord at the start of a diplomatic tour aimed at keeping the deal alive following the U.S. withdrawal.
- UK Welcomes Iran's Intention to Keep Nuclear Deal After US Exit - Downing Street Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May held a phone conversation with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday and welcomed his intention to maintain the nuclear deal after the US withdrawal, the prime minister's office said in a statement.
- IRGC Commander Slams US as 'Untrustworthy' Amid Withdrawal From Iran Deal Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- Trump announced the US withdrawal from the JCPOA, also known as the Iran Deal, on May 8, after slamming it as "flawed" and promised to impose sanctions against Iran and everyone working with it.
- China Sticks to Iran Nuclear Deal After US Withdrawal – Foreign Minister Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- Beijing will work further on protecting the Iranian nuclear deal after Washington's withdrawal from the multilateral agreement, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Sunday.
- US Not Ruling Sanctions Against EU Companies for Cooperating With Iran - Bolton Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- National Security Advisor of the United States John Bolton said in an interview with CNN news that after the withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, the US does not exclude sanctions against EU companies for cooperation with Tehran.
- English FIFA Fans May Become 'Targets' of Russian Babes - Estonian Intel Chief Sputnik 13 May 2018 -- Last month, a British intelligence expert warned English footballers against exquisite Russian women, who might distract them from the FIFA World Cup, held in Russia.
- Partial Results Put Sadr's Alliance Ahead In Iraq Vote; Abadi Trails RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- Partial results from Iraq's parliamentary election indicate that influential Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's alliance has taken the lead in the crucial vote, with Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi's bloc trailing in third place.
- Iraqis vote in first election since ISIL defeat; UN chief hails polls as progress on path to stronger democracy UN News 13 May 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has congratulated the people of Iraq on the holding yesterday of the first national parliamentary elections since the country declared victory over Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Dae'sh) terrorists late last year.
- PM Abadi's list leading in Iraqi parliamentary elections: Sources Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Informed sources say a predominantly Shia political bloc, led by Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, appears to be leading in parliamentary elections.
- Iraq announces 44.5 percent turnout in parliamentary elections Press TV 13 May 2018 -- The electoral commission of Iraq has announced that 44.5 percent of those eligible to vote cast their ballots in Saturday's parliamentary elections.
- Iraqis Await Results Of Election Marred By Low Turnout RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- Iraqis are awaiting results from a national election that was relatively peaceful but was marred by low turnout and which could help decide whether the country continues its close ties to the West or turns closer to Iran.
- Iraq Sees Record-Low Voter Turnout in First Post-IS Poll VOA 13 May 2018 -- Less than half of Iraq's eligible population voted in national elections, according to official tallies of the first national poll since defeating Islamic State.
- UN, Congo specialists deployed to tackle new Ebola epidemic Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Emergency teams of specialists from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and United Nations agencies have been deployed to the African country to tackle the spread of a new wave of Ebola epidemic.
- Knife attacker kills one in Paris terrorist attack Press TV 13 May 2018 -- The Daesh terrorist group has claimed responsibility for a deadly knife attack in Paris in which one person was killed and at least four more were injured.
- Police Name Slain Paris Terrorist Suspect 'Born In Chechnya' RFE/RL 13 May 2018 -- French authorities have identified the slain suspect in a deadly Paris knife attack as Khamzat Azimov, a naturalized French citizen who was born in Russia's Chechnya region in 1997.
- Police Probe Background, Motivation of Paris Knife Attacker VOA 13 May 2018 -- France's interior minister met with security officials Sunday as investigators probe the background and motivations of a young (20 or 21-year-old) man who attacked people on the streets of Paris Saturday night, killing one of them. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for this latest attack in the French capital.
- 13 Killed in Indonesia Church Bombings VOA 13 May 2018 -- Indonesian police say a family of six, including teens and two children, were responsible for the suicide bombings of three churches on Sunday that killed at least 13 people and wounded 41 others in the city of Surabaya.
- Bomb attacks on Indonesia churches kill 9, injure 40 Press TV 13 May 2018 -- At least nine people have been killed and 40 others injured in bomb attacks targeting churches in Indonesia's second biggest city, Surabaya.
- Bahraini opposition demands FM resignation over Israel support Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Bahrain's main Shia opposition group, al-Wefaq National Islamic Society, has demanded the resignation of Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifah over his support for Israel's latest missile attack on Syria.
- UAE, Bahraini envoys met Netanyahu in Washington: AP Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu met with the UAE and Bahraini ambassadors to the US in March, the Associated Press has revealed, shedding further light on quiet ties between Tel Aviv and certain Arab states.
- Malaysia police raid complex linked to ex-PM Najib Press TV 13 May 2018 -- Malaysian security forces have raided an apartment complex in Kuala Lumpur linked to former prime minister Najib Razak to search for confidential state documents that may have been illegally delivered to the site.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|