10 May 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 10 May 2018 [PDF]
- Afghanistan: Violence at voter registration sites 'assault on democracy,' UN envoy warns UN News 10 May 2018 -- Afghanistan has suffered "a disturbing pattern" of attacks on voter registration facilities since the process began last month, which add up to an "assault on democracy", the United Nations mission there said Thursday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing on the results of the Investigation into the October 4, 2017, Ambush in Niger DoD 10 May 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Rob Manning, Director, Defense Press Office; Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Robert S. Karem; Marine Gen. Thomas D. Waldhauser, commander, U.S. Africa Command; Army Maj. Gen. Roger L. Cloutier Jr., chief of staff, U.S. Africa Command; Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana W. White
- Statement by Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Ms. Dana W. White on Niger Investigation Report DoD 10 May 2018-- Defense Secretary James N. Mattis concluded his review of the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) investigative report on the enemy ambush in Tongo Tongo, Niger on October 4, 2017, that resulted in the tragic loss of four U.S. Service members and four Nigerien partners.
- Niger Report Highlights Bravery of U.S. Troops, Notes Training, Planning Deficiencies AFPS 10 May 2018 -- American special operations forces fought valiantly against overwhelming odds in the battle against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists outside Tongo Tongo, Niger, and while a number of factors contributed to the clash, no single factor within the control of U.S. forces caused the deaths of four U.S. Army soldiers and four Nigeriens, a military investigation has concluded.
- Africom Chief Details Changes Made to Mitigate Risks After Niger Attack AFPS 10 May 2018 -- The incident in Niger on Oct. 4, 2017, that resulted in the deaths of four U.S. soldiers and wounding of two more have resulted in changes and adjustments to how U.S. forces are employed in Africa, the commander of U.S. Africa Command said here today.
- Investigative Process Looks to Get Ground Truth to Leaders AFPS 10 May 2018 -- On Oct. 4, 2017, terrorists killed four U.S. soldiers who were on a partnered mission near Tongo Tongo in the western African nation of Niger.
- Report: US Mission Was Overwhelmed by Unprecedented IS Force in Niger VOA 10 May 2018 -- A U.S. Special Forces mission that resulted in the deaths of four American soldiers and four Nigerien soldiers was plagued by problems up and down the chain of command but was ultimately done in by an unprecedented show of force at the hands of an Islamic State-linked terror group, an investigation found.
- RAF, RSAF observe Cerberus Strike AFNS 10 May 2018 -- Distinguished visitors from the United Kingdom's Royal Air Force and the Royal Saudi Air Force visited Travis Air Force Base April 26 through May 2, 2018, to get a first-hand experience of the 821st Contingency Response Group capability to provide expeditionary mobility support.
- Fiscal '19 Budget Request Will Restore U.S. Military, Dunford Says AFPS 10 May 2018 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff assured senators yesterday that the U.S. military retains a competitive advantage over any potential adversary.
- Iowa National Guard continues strong partnership with Kosovo Security Force Army News 10 May 2018 -- A contingent of 53 Iowa National Guard Soldiers and Airmen are in the Republic of Kosovo this week to participate in a disaster response exercise called Eagle 6 where they are training alongside the Kosovo Security Force (KSF) and other international partners.
- US, Singapore Navy Staff Talks Bolster Readiness and Partnership in Indo-Pacific Region NNS 10 May 2018 -- Vice Adm. Phil Sawyer, commander, U.S. 7th Fleet, kicked off a series of theater security cooperation (TSC) engagements May 9-10 with U.S.-Republic of Singapore navy staff talks in Changi, Singapore.
- Joint Typhoon Warning Center Updates Tsunami Products NNS 10 May 2018 -- On May 1, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) shifted its tsunami decision support to a new simplified design that provides only the most pertinent information to the watch stander and decision makers.
- Kearsarge Wraps Up Fleet Week Port Everglades NNS 10 May 2018 -- Sailors and Marines assigned to the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) concluded Fleet Week Port Everglades 2018, May 6.
- US House votes down amendment to slow Trump's space force process Press TV 10 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's desired space force has been supported by lawmakers at the House of Representatives.
- Joint Statement from Ellen M. Lord and Lisa E. Gordon-Hagerty on Recapitalization of Plutonium Pit Production DoD 10 May 2018 -- An evolving and uncertain geopolitical landscape calls for the United States to recapitalize its defense plutonium capabilities. The Nuclear Weapons Council (NWC) has certified that the National Nuclear Security Administration's (NNSA) recommended alternative for recapitalization of these capabilities is acceptable and represents a resilient and responsive option to meet Department of Defense (DoD) requirements.
- Europe must take its fate in own hands, can no longer rely on US for protection: Merkel Press TV 10 May 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says Europe can no longer rely on the United States for protection, urging European Union member states to take the bloc's destiny in their own hands.
- India to Base Its Fighter Jets on Andaman & Nicobar Islands in Bengal Bay Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- The Andaman and Nicobar Islands host India's single tri-service command. Currently, fighter jets need to be flown in from the mainland, at least 1,200 km away. With the new air base on Great Nicobar, larger fighters like the Su-30MKI can be stationed on site.
- S. Arabia will seek nuclear weapon if Iran does: Al-Jubeir IRNA 10 May 2018 -- Saudi Arabia will seek to develop its own nuclear weapons if Iran does, Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir told CNN on Wednesday, amid spiraling tension between the regional rivals.
- Saudi Arabia to build nuclear bomb if Iran does so: FM Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Praising the US for abandoning the Iran nuclear deal, the Saudi foreign minister has threatened that the kingdom will make nuclear bombs if the Islamic Republic moves to develop an atomic weapons program.
- Taiwan to hold emergency rescue drill in South China Sea CNA 10 May 2018 -- Several government agencies will hold a joint exercise in the South China Sea on Friday to test Taiwan's disaster relief and emergency response at sea, according to the Coast Guard Administration (CGA).
- DoD News: Contracts for May 10, 2018
- China's first homemade passenger jet C919 conducts test flights People's Daily 10 May 2018 -- China's first domestically developed large passenger jet, the C919, is currently undergoing a series of test flights before becoming available for public use in 2021 as planned, said an expert at a summit on May 7.
- 10 May 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 May 2018
- EU warns about 'dramatic escalation of hostilities' in Yemen Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The European Union has expressed concerns about escalating tensions in Yemen, saying the crisis gripping the impoverished country needs a political solution not a military approach.
- Avoid 'new conflagration' urges UN chief, in wake of military escalation in Golan UN News 10 May 2018 -- The United Nations chief has called for an immediate halt to all hostile acts and provocative actions to "avoid a new conflagration" in the Middle East, following reported exchanges of artillery fire over the Golan Heights.
- Syria: Damascus seriously repels Zionist aggression IRNA 10 May 2018 -- Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said on Thursday that Damascus is ready to seriously deal with the Zionist aggressions.
- Syrian army says destroyed most of Israeli rockets Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The Syrian army command says its air defense systems have managed to intercept and destroy the biggest part of a "successive wave" of Israeli rockets fired at military bases in the Arab country.
- Israel Claims Iranian Missiles Struck Golan Heights, Prompting Retaliation RFE/RL 10 May 2018 -- Israel's military says it targeted "dozens" of Iranian military sites in Syria with missile strikes after the Golan Heights were struck with about 20 rockets in an attack it said was ordered by the head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards.
- Iran Crossed 'Red Line' by Allegedly Attacking Israeli Forces - Netanyahu Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- Commenting on the Israeli airstrike on Syria, the country's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israeli actions were "appropriate."
- Israel Struck Almost 'All Iran Infrastructure in Syria' - DM Lieberman Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- The Israeli army on Thursday blamed Tehran for provoking an overnight raid on Iranian positions in Syria with a salvo at the Golan Heights under Israeli control, but said it did not want an escalation.
- Statement from the Press Secretary on Iranian Regime Provocation against Israel The White House 10 May 2018
- Terrorists leave Syrian towns south of Damascus under government deal Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Hundreds of terrorists have evacuated three cities south of the Syrian capital Damascus under a deal with the government of President Bashar al-Assad, leaving the areas to Daesh terrorists.
- Syrian army hunts remnants of Daesh terrorists IRNA 10 May 2018 -- Units of the Syrian army, in cooperation with backup forces, carried out a wide-scale military operation on Wednesday to cleanse the desert of Deir Ezzor from the remnants of Daesh terrorists and hotbeds.
- Over 120 Daesh terrorists killed in southern Damascus IRNA 10 May 2018 -- Over 120 Daesh terrorists have been killed in clashes with the Syrian army in southern Damascus, The Syrian Observatory For Human Rights, affiliated to the country's dissident groups reported Wednesday.
- Foreign support for terrorists prolonging Syria crisis: Assad Press TV 10 May 2018 -- President Bashar al-Assad has blamed foreign intervention for the prolongation of the conflict in Syria, saying otherwise it would take "less than a year" to restore peace to the Arab country.
- Syria downs Israeli rockets after Quneitra shelled Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Syrian air defenses have intercepted several rockets fired from Israeli aircraft after the Tel Aviv regime targeted Syrian army positions in the occupied Golan Heights.
- Rebuilding Syria After War to Cost Up to $400Bln - Assad Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad estimated Thursday that it may take up to $400 billion to reconstruct Syria after the conflict, but noted that the precise number was unknown since some areas were still controlled by terrorists.
- Iraq used Baghdadi aide's cell phone to capture top Daesh commanders Press TV 10 May 2018 -- A high-ranking Iraqi security official says authorities are holding a top aide to the purported leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, Ibrahim al-Samarrai aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and have used a messaging application on his mobile phone to nab four commanders of the militant outfit.
- UNSC urges Myanmar to punish abusers of Muslim minority Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has called on Myanmar's government to hold accountable the perpetrators of widespread violence against the Rohingya Muslim minority in the Buddhist-majority country's northwest over the past year and a half.
- Longtime Jihadist Leads Group that Claimed Niger Attack VOA 10 May 2018 -- Not much is known about the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara, the group that claimed responsibility for killing four U.S. and four Nigerien soldiers in western Niger last October.
- Ukrainian Separatists Parade Banned Heavy Weapons In Donetsk RFE/RL 10 May 2018 -- Russia-backed separatists who control the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk have held a Victory Day parade despite a ban on that type of celebration in Ukraine as well as on the tanks and other heavy weapons featured in the parade.
- 'Durable solutions' needed for durable peace in Darfur, UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 10 May 2018 -- The overall security situation in Sudan's Darfur region "remains calm", despite continuing low-level skirmishes, a top United Nations envoy said on Thursday; updating the Security Council on the UN mission's work on the ground.
- CIA director nominee pressed at Senate committee hearing People's Daily 10 May 2018 -- US President Trump's CIA director nominee Gina Haspel attended her confirmation hearing Wednesday morning at the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, in which her involvement in the agency's detention and interrogation programs, as well as the 2005 destruction of interrogation videos, has become the primary focus.
- Senator Feinstein opposes Trump's CIA director nominee Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Senior US Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein says she will vote against Gina Haspel, President Donald Trump's nominee for the CIA director who is accused of involvement in the agency's torture program.
- McCain urges Senate to block Trump's CIA director nominee Press TV 10 May 2018 -- US Republican Senator John McCain has advised his colleagues in the Senate against confirming Gina Haspel, President Donald Trump's nominee for CIA director who is accused of involvement in the agency's torture program.
- Britain Apologizes to Libyan Dissident Over Rendition, Torture VOA 10 May 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May issued a rare formal public apology Thursday to one of 15 Libyan Islamists delivered into the hands of Col. Moammar Gadhafi by British and American intelligence services and tortured after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks in the United States.
- Armenia's chiefs of police, security service dismissed at new PM's request Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The Armenian president has dismissed the heads of the country's police and security service at the request of newly-elected Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan.
- Armenian Government Conducts First Shake-Up Under Pashinian RFE/RL 10 May 2018 -- The Armenian government has conducted its first major shake-up since former protest leader Nikol Pashinian became prime minister on May 8, firing the country's top police chief and its national security adviser, while the acting finance minister announced his resignation.
- Kim Jong Un Meets U.S. Secretary of State KCNA 10 May 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Wednesday met Mike Pompeo, secretary of State of the United States of America who is on a visit to the DPRK.
- South Korea's Moon Gives Diplomacy a Chance VOA 10 May 2018 -- During his first year in office, South Korean President Moon Jae-in's persistent pursuit of diplomacy, often working in parallel with U.S. President Donald Trump's "maximum pressure" campaign, played a significant role in persuading North Korea to engage in talks to end its nuclear program.
- Trump: North Korea Summit Will Be in Singapore on June 12 VOA 10 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has announced that his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will take place in Singapore on June 12.
- Trump Greets Americans Released by North Korea VOA 10 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump personally welcomed three freed Americans returning home from North Korea early Thursday morning, declaring "we're starting off on a new footing" with Pyongyang.
- Pompeo brings 3 freed Americans back from DPRK, Trump tweets People's Daily 10 May 2018 -- A "date and place" for his meeting with Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) top leader Kim Jong Un has been set and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is bringing three freed Americans back from the DPRK, President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday.
- Trump says Kim summit set for June 12 in Singapore Press TV 10 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has announced his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will take place next month in Singapore.
- UN chief hails Japan-China-South Korea cooperation to 'denuclearize' Peninsula UN News 10 May 2018 -- United Nations chief António Guterres has welcomed the Japan-China-South Korea summit held on Wednesday and their effort to cooperate in ridding the Korean Peninsula of nuclear weapons.
- United States and United Arab Emirates Disrupt Large Scale Currency Exchange Network Transferring Millions of Dollars to the IRGC-QF US Treasury 10 May 2018 -- Today the United States and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) jointly took action to disrupt an extensive currency exchange network in Iran and the UAE that has procured and transferred millions in U.S. dollar-denominated bulk cash to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) to fund its malign activities and regional proxy groups. Specifically, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated nine Iranian individuals and entities.
- US Looks for Allied Support to Pressure Iran VOA 10 May 2018 -- The U.S. says it is looking for allied support to force Iran into new negotiations over its nuclear weapons development and military advances in the Middle East in the aftermath of President Donald Trump's withdrawal from the 2015 international pact restraining Tehran's nuclear program.
- US, UAE Act to Disrupt Funding for Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps VOA 10 May 2018 -- The United States and the United Arab Emirates acted Thursday to disrupt a currency exchange network under which they said hundreds of millions of dollars had been transferred to Iran's Revolutionary Guards' Qods Force to fund their insurgent operations in the Middle East.
- Rouhani: Iran's interests in JCPOA should be ensured precisely IRNA 10 May 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani reiterated that Iran's interests within JCPOA should be ensured accurately, urging EU, especially Germany, France and Britain to declare their decisive stance regarding safeguarding Iran's interests in the JCPOA after US' exit from the deal.
- US imposes new sanctions against Iran IRNA 10 May 2018 -- US Secretary of the Treasury on Thursday slapped new sanctions on six individuals and three entities linked to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
- Gov't issues statement in reaction to US pullout of JCPOA IRNA 10 May 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani's Cabinet in a statement on Thursday called on the other parties to the JCPOA, especially three European states, to undertake necessary moves to safeguard it and implement their sides under the international agreemen unconditionally.
- IRGC: Exiting JCPOA excuse to make Iranian nation surrender IRNA 10 May 2018 -- Deputy Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Hossein Salami said on Thursday that the US pullout from the JCPOA and bringing other excuses such as Iran's missiles capabilities are mere pretext to bring the Iranian nation to their knees.
- Macron calls Trump's decision to quit JCPOA a mistake IRNA 10 May 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron while calling US President Donald Trump's decision to quit Iran nuclear deal a mistake said on Wednesday that what was the matter was preserving peace and stability in the Middle East.
- China urges salvaging of Iran nuclear deal People's Daily 10 May 2018 -- China on Wednesday urged the signatories to the Iran nuclear deal to safeguard the integrity of the agreement after President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled the US out of the pact, raising the risk of confrontation in the Middle East and casting a shadow on the upcoming US-North Korea nuclear negotiations.
- Lawbreaking, breach of promises habitual for US govt.: Iran Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The Iranian administration has condemned Washington's "illegal" withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal, saying that "law breaking" and "breach of commitments" have turned into a habit for the United States.
- US Treasury slaps new sanctions on Iranian figures, entities Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The US Treasury has imposed fresh sanctions on several Iranian individuals and entities in the wake of President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw Washington from the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Iran, Russia to continue cooperating on JCPOA even after US exit from deal: Moscow Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Russia's deputy foreign minister says Moscow and Tehran will continue to cooperate on the Iran nuclear agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), even after US President Donald Trump unilaterally decided to pull his country out of the landmark and hard-fought accord.
- Rouhani urges efforts against US 'unilateralism' in phone call with Erdogan Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has blasted the United States for breaking yet another promise to the world community by leaving the 2015 multinational nuclear deal with Iran, calling for efforts to confront Washington's "unilateralism."
- US withdrawal from Iran deal violates UN resolution: Russian FM Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Russia's top diplomat has denounced the pullout by the US of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal as a "significant" violation of a United Nations resolution that endorsed the international document back then.
- France's Macron says Trump made a mistake by leaving JCPOA Press TV 10 May 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has said that the US decision to leave the Iran nuclear agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was a "mistake."
- China Reassures Tehran On Honoring Nuclear Deal, Buying Iranian Oil RFE/RL 10 May 2018 -- China has said that it remains committed to Iran's nuclear deal with world powers and assured Tehran that it will continue buying nearly one-third of Iranian oil exports.
- Foreign Ministers Of Russia, Germany Call For Iran Deal To Be Preserved RFE/RL 10 May 2018 -- The Russian and German foreign ministers say they are working to salvage a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran after President Donald Trump announced that the United States would leave the deal and would reinstate sanctions on Tehran.
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions Against Six Iranian Individuals, Three Entities RFE/RL 10 May 2018 -- The United States has imposed fresh sanctions on three entities and six Iranian individuals linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) two days after President Donald Trump announced he was pulling out of a landmark 2015 nuclear deal with Iran.
- Iran Won't Discuss Any Provision of Current Nuclear Deal Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- Tehran does not intend to negotiate on any of the provisions of the nuclear deal, and this also applies to the time of its operation, the Iranian government statement, published in response to the US withdrawal from the agreement, says.
- Germany, UK, France to Remain in Nuclear Deal While Iran Adheres to It - Merkel Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- Following Trump's announcement on the US withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated Tehran's adherence to the agreement
- Any New Sanctions Against Iran to Violate UNSC Resolution 2231 - Rouhani Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- Russian Foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said earlier in the day that the US administration's decision to withdraw from the JCPOA was a severe violation of the UNSC Resolution 2231.
- Lavrov: US Decision to Withdraw From Iran Nuclear Deal Violates UNSC Resolutions Sputnik 10 May 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said during the meeting with his German counterpart Heiko Maas this Thursday, that it is important to elaborate measures, which could save the deal, crucial for regional peace, stability and the non-proliferation regime.
- Turkey, US Could Head for Collision Over Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 10 May 2018 -- Turkey has pushed back hard against U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned of serious consequences, with analysts saying Turkey could find itself drawn into a dispute between Washington and Tehran.
- Iraqis Head to Polls Amid Security Threats, External Influence VOA 10 May 2018 -- Amid threats from Islamic State group, getting in and out of the polling stations safely will be the prevailing thought on Iraqi voters' minds May 12 when the country goes to the polls to choose a new parliament and the prime minister.
- Pakistan's Militant 'Name Game' Gives Terror Groups a Pass VOA 10 May 2018 -- Changing one's name in Pakistan is a daunting and lengthy legal procedure that requires extensive paperwork.
- DRC Confirms Ebola Outbreak Near Border VOA 10 May 2018 -- Health officials in the Democratic Republic of Congo are racing to contain a new Ebola outbreak announced this week. At least two people are confirmed to have died of Ebola this month in a remote village of northwest DRC, very close to the border of the smaller, neighboring Republic of Congo.
- Turkey issues arrest warrants for nearly 190 over affiliation to Gulen network Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Turkish prosecutors have issued arrest warrants for nearly 190 people on suspicion of affiliation to a movement led by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Former premier becomes new PM after 15-year break Press TV 10 May 2018 -- Mahathir Mohamad has been sworn in once more as the new prime minister of Malaysia, resuming the post after a 15-year interval.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|