07 May 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 07 May 2018 [PDF]
- Iraqi Air Force aerial porters load cargo like the best AFNS 07 May 2018 -- In a small office space at Al Muthana Air Base, U.S. Air Force 370th Air Expeditionary Advisory Group air advisors and Iraqi airmen enjoy a small cup of tea together. Iraqi Air Force Col. Yossif Halo, the base air terminal operations center commander, sits with the team and casually highlights the familiarity he has with his American counterparts.
- Week-Long Insurgent Attacks Kill 252 Afghan Troops VOA 07 May 2018 -- Insurgent attacks have killed 252 Afghan troops during the past week and wounded about 400 others.
- UN: April Afghan Air Attack Killed Mostly Children VOA 07 May 2018 -- An Afghan Air Force attack on an open-air religious gathering killed 30 children and wounded 51 more last month, according to a United Nations investigation published Monday.
- Afghan police kill would-be bomber in Kabul Press TV 07 May 2018 -- An Afghan police officer has opened fire, killing a bomber at an outdoor blood donation facility in central Kabul.
- UN Criticizes Afghan Strikes On Religious Ceremony RFE/RL 07 May 2018 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has criticized Afghan security forces over air strikes carried out on a village in the northern province of Kunduz in April, saying 36 people -- 30 of them children -- were killed in the operation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Second phase of Light Attack Experiment underway AFNS 07 May 2018 -- Flying began May 7, 2018, for the Air Force's second phase of the Light Attack Experiment at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico.
- Looking at the future fight: Joint Warfighting Assessment offers Army 'triple payoff' Army News 07 May 2018 -- Readiness. Joint force cooperation. Strengthening the Army of today and tomorrow. These were the elements chosen to create the perfect training exercise.
- Iowa National Guard partners with Kosovo Security Force for joint exercise Army News 07 May 2018 -- Soldiers and Airmen from the Iowa National Guard made the long journey from America's heartland to Europe's newest nation, Kosovo in order to take part in a training exercise this week with the Kosovo Security Force.
- USS Theodore Roosevelt Completes 7-Month Deployment NNS 07 May 2018 -- Approximately 5,000 Sailors and Marines embarked aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) returned to their homeport of Naval Air Station North Island, May 7, after a successful seven-month deployment.
- Future USS Manchester (LCS 14) Transiting to Commissioning Site NNS 07 May 2018 -- The Navy's newest littoral combat ship (LCS), the future USS Manchester (LCS 14) departed from Austal USA in Mobile, Alabama, May 5, beginning her journey to her commissioning site in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- Theodore Roosevelt, Bunker Hill to Return from Deployment NNS 07 May 2018 -- Approximately 5,000 Sailors and Marines embarked aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) are scheduled to return to San Diego, May 7, along with the guided-missile cruiser USS Bunker Hill (CG 52) after a successful seven-month deployment.
- NAVSUP FLC San Diego MHE Team Keeps Fleet Materials Moving NNS 07 May 2018 -- The NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) San Diego Material Handling Equipment (MHE) team is hard at work this May, working side-by-side with fleet Sailors aboard Naval Base Coronado to ensure their equipment is in prime condition to satisfy mission requirements.
- Virginia National Guard hosts national disaster response exercise as hurricane season starts Army News 07 May 2018 -- More than 2,000 National Guard personnel from six states and Washington, D.C., will take part in the Vigilant Guard 18-3 emergency response exercise May 7-10, 2018, at multiple locations in Virginia to improve their ability to respond to a natural disaster and enhance relationships with local, state and federal emergency response partners.
- US, Philippines Begin Annual Military Drills Despite Tensions - Reports Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The annual Balikatan military exercises, which will involve 8,000 troops from the United States and the Philippines, began earlier in the day, the Philippine broadcaster GMA News reported Monday.
- Norway Reportedly Letting F-35 Fighter Jets Rust for the Sake of Environment Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Both the new F-35 fighter jets and the P-8 Poseidon surveillance aircraft will sustain rust damage to the tune of NOK 1.4 billion ($170 million), according to a report by Oslo Economics.
- Transport Helicopter Tests Out Beijing's Newest Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- A Z-18 military transport helicopter took off from China's newest aircraft carrier, which has yet to undergo sea trials, over the weekend, according to state media.
- BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missiles to Feature Indian Quad Launchers Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Furthering its quest to localize the production of the world's deadliest missile, India has successfully designed and built a rototype of the 'Quadruple Canisterized Inclined Launcher' or Quad Launcher for BrahMos missiles.
- Kazakhstan Creates New Military Branch To Fight Cyberthreats RFE/RL 07 May 2018 -- Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev says a new military branch has been established to protect the Central Asian country against cyberthreats.
- No country can threaten, attack Iran: Military chief Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri has warned that the Islamic Republic would give a proportionate response to the enemy's slightest aggression against the country.
- Chinese-branded cellphones banned in Taiwan's military CNA 07 May 2018 -- Chinese-branded cellphones are absolutely banned on military bases throughout Taiwan, Minister of National Defense Yen Teh-fa (嚴德發) said Monday.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 07 May 2018
- 7 May 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 07 May 2018
- China, Japan to Launch System Preventing Sea, Air Incidents Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang confirmed on Monday that Beijing and Tokyo were preparing for the official launch of a communication mechanism to prevent incidents at sea and in the air.
- Scores of Saudi military forces killed, injured in Yemeni attack IRNA 07 May 2018 -- According to Yemeni Defense Ministry, scores of Saudi military forces were killed or injured in Yemeni missile attacks.
- Yemeni forces launch 4 missiles at Saudi-run base in central Yemen Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired at least four short-range domestically-manufactured missiles at a Saudi-run military base in Yemen's west-central province of Sana'a, in retaliation for the Saudi regime's campaign against the impoverished country, Yemeni media report.
- Saudi airstrikes on Yemeni capital kill, injure nearly 100 civilians Press TV 07 May 2018 -- At least half a dozen civilians have been killed and dozens more wounded after two airstrikes carried out by warplanes of a Saudi-led military coalition hit the office of the presidency in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a.
- Cholera vaccination campaign kicks off in Yemen: WHO Press TV 07 May 2018 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched a wide-scale vaccination campaign against cholera in Yemen, as the epidemic is expected to further spread due to the rainy season and deteriorating health and sanitation systems in the war-torn country.
- Yemen seeks to resort to Security Council to oust UAE forces from Socotra Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Yemeni sources have revealed that officials with the government of a former president seek to resort to the United Nations Security Council to put an end to UAE's military presence on Socotra Island.
- Yemen Mulls Turning to UN to Drive UAE Out of Socotra Island Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The last several days have seen increasing tensions between the Yemeni government and the United Arab Emirates over Abu Dhabi's unilateral decision to deploy about 300 soldiers, along with tanks and artillery, to the Yemeni island of Socotra.
- US Arms Sales to Allies in Syria Used Against Turkey – Erdogan Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has blamed the United States for spending money on "the killing of people" rather than humanitarian assistance.
- Syrian Army tightens noose on terrorists in al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 08 May 2018 -- Syrian Arab Army continued its operations in the southern part of Damascus city aiming at eradicating terrorism form the area.
- Syrian Army expand control in northern al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 08 May 2018 -- Syrian Arab Army units on Sunday established control over a number of blocks of buildings in the northern part of al-Hajar al-Aswad neighborhood.
- Russian Helicopter Crash in Eastern Syria Kills Two - Russian MoD Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- A Russian Ka-52 attack chopper crashed Monday during a flight over eastern Syria as a result of a presumed technical malfunction, according to the Russian Defense Ministry. Both pilots aboard the aircraft died as a result of the incident.
- FSA Commander: US, Turkey in Talks Over Turkish Military Operation in Manbij Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Earlier, a Syrian Democratic Forces commander warned that the US would "retaliate against any assault on the city, regardless of who would launch this attack."
- Syrian Army Plans to Split Daesh-Held Southern Districts of Damascus in 2 Parts Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The Syrian Armed Forces will soon separate into two parts the southern districts of Damascus, held by Daesh terrorist group, Gen. Mehsen Nafnuf said.
- Russian, Syrian, Iranian Troops Chasing al-Baghdadi Near Iraqi Border – Reports Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The leader of the terrorist group has previously been reported killed by US or Russian air or artillery strikes on multiple occasions.
- Cameroon, Batting Insurgencies, Cracks Down on Illegal Weapons VOA 07 May 2018 -- Cameroon is cracking down on weapons proliferation as it battles two insurgencies and prepares to hold important nationwide elections this year. The military says it discovered a large cache of illegal weapons in a warehouse in Awae, near the capital.
- White House: CIA Acting Director is Best Woman for the Job VOA 07 May 2018 -- Two days before acting director Gina Haspel's confirmation hearing to run the Central Intelligence Agency, the White House is defending her as the best woman for the job.
- Trump defends CIA pick Gina Haspel despite role in torture program Press TV 07 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has defended his nominee to lead the Central Intelligence Agency, Gina Haspel, after she offered to withdraw amid questions over her role in the agency's torture program.
- Trump's nominee for CIA director once ran 'black site' prison Press TV 07 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has reportedly sought to withdraw over her role in the agency's torture of detainees.
- CIA Must Release Records on Haspel Involvement in Torture Program - US Senators Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The CIA should release all materials regarding the role Gina Haspel, agency's next director nominee, played in the torture program, US senators said in a letter on Monday.
- Trump CIA Pick Sought to Withdraw Over Interrogation Concerns - Reports Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's nominee to lead the Central Intelligence Agency, Gina Haspel, tried to withdraw in order to avoid a fiery debate at a hearing on her role in the agency's notorious torture scandal.
- Putin inaugurated for fourth term as president of Russia Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Vladimir Putin has been inaugurated for a fourth term as president of Russia following his decisive victory in the March elections.
- Putin Starts New Term After Protests, Amid Tension With West RFE/RL 07 May 2018 -- Vladimir Putin has been sworn in to a new six-year term as Russian president, vowing to "serve the people" and improve their lives while protecting what he called a country of "great victories and feats."
- Putin Sworn in: 'Russia as Country of Opportunities for the People is Our Goal' Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- A ceremony to swear Russian President Vladimir Putin in for a new presidential term has been held in the Kremlin. Sputnik looks into the main highlights of Putin's speech during the event.
- Putin Submits Medvedev's Candidacy for Russian Prime Minister's Post Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Russia's cabinet resigned after President Vladimir Putin's inauguration for a new presidential term, the government press service said in a statement Monday.
- Russia's Putin Begins Fourth Term VOA 07 May 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin was sworn in to a fourth term on Monday, extending his 18-year rule amid promises of continuity in foreign policy and renewed efforts toward building prosperity at home.
- Russia's Putin Sworn In as President VOA 07 May 2018 -- Vladimir Putin, who has been either president or prime minister of Russia since 1999, was sworn in for a fourth term as president Monday at the Grand Kremlin Palace's ornately-decorated Andreyevsky Hall. With his hand on a gold-embossed copy of the constitution, Putin said, "I consider it my duty and my life's aim to do everything possible for Russia, for its present and for its future."
- Treasury Sanctions Drug Trafficking and Money Laundering Network Led by Former Senior Venezuelan Intelligence Official US Treasury 07 May 2018 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) identified Venezuelan national Pedro Luis Martin Olivares (Martin) as a significant foreign narcotics trafficker pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act). Additionally, OFAC designated Walter Alexander Del Nogal Marquez (Del Nogal) and Mario Antonio Rodriguez Espinoza (Rodriguez) for materially assisting in, or providing financial or technological support for or to, or providing goods or services in support of, the international narcotics trafficking activities of Martin. OFAC further designated 20 companies in Venezuela and Panama that are owned or controlled by these three individuals.
- US Announces Sanctions on 3 Venezuelans, 20 Companies VOA 07 May 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury has put new sanctions on three Venezuelans and 20 entities for connections to drug trafficking.
- Pyongyang Slams Japan's 'Hostile Behavior' Ahead of N Korea-US Summit - Reports Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- In the wake of Pyongyang's vow to cease its nuclear activities, North Korea and Japan have begun to show signs of reconciliation, however, the North's rhetoric has sharpened recently, since Tokyo has advocated stepping up international pressure on Pyongyang.
- Trump to Announce Decision on Iran Nuclear Deal on Tuesday VOA 07 May 2018 -- President Donald Trump says he will announce Tuesday whether he will pull the United States out of the international nuclear deal with Iran and re-impose sanctions.
- Trump To Announce Iran-Nuclear-Deal Decision On May 8 RFE/RL 07 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said he will announce his decision on the U.S. participation in the nuclear accord between Iran and world powers on May 8.
- Russia: All should abide by JCPOA IRNA 07 May 2018 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said on Monday that all the parties to the JCPOA including the US should remain committed to the international pact, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- US withdrawal from nuclear deal unimportant: Minister IRNA 07 May 2018 -- Iranian interior minister said on Monday that the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal is not important and the country is quite prepared for it.
- Iran describes US possible withdrawal from nuclear deal strategic mistake IRNA 07 May 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Monday described the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal a strategic mistake and noted that it will harm the country's interests.
- Iran to give strong reaction to US violation of nuclear deal: FM IRNA 07 May 2018 -- Iranian foreign minister said on Monday that Iran will give strong reaction to the US violation of nuclear deal reached between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the world powers in 2015.
- US JCPOA withdrawal not to affect Iran banking ties IRNA 07 May 2018 -- US abandonment of the Iran nuclear deal will cause no problem in Iran banking relations, as there has been no significant cooperation between Iran and world big banks in the post-JCPOA era, an Iranian bank official said.
- US withdrawal from Iran deal not easy: FM spokesman IRNA 07 May 2018 -- The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has certain characteristics that make it difficult to withdraw from it, said the spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Monday.
- Iran decides about JCPOA based on its national interests: FM IRNA 07 May 2018 -- The Iranian foreign minister said here that Tehran decides on the July 2015 nuclear deal based on its national interests.
- Europe to make more efforts for preserving JCPOA: Zarif ISNA 07 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif held a meeting with State secretory of Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Annika Söder, discussing the most important bilateral, regional and international issues.
- Nuclear deal exit will prove US isolation: Iran's FM Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says any possible move by the United States to withdraw from the nuclear deal with Iran will show how isolated the US is among the international community.
- Germany, France resolute on Iran nuclear deal preservation Press TV 07 May 2018 -- The foreign ministers of Germany and France, two signatories to a nuclear agreement reached between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015, have expressed their countries' firm determination to preserve the multilateral agreement.
- Iran will fiercely resist US bid to limit its role: Rouhani Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Tehran would fiercely resist US attempts to undermine its role in the Middle East as a date set by President Donald Trump to bring the country under new pressures draws near.
- Johnson to Trump: 'Don't walk away' from Iran deal Press TV 07 May 2018 -- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has called on US President Donald Trump not to scuttle the Iran nuclear deal.
- Israeli Opposition Warns Netanyahu Against 'Empty' Allegations on Iran Nukes Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The Israeli opposition thinks that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu should stop making publicized "empty" accusations against Iran and its nuclear program and instead calls for re-negotiations over the fate of the the Iran nuclear deal, Ksenia Svetlova, an opposition member of the Israeli parliament, told Sputnik on Monday.
- UN Chief Open to 'Building' Upon Iran Nuclear Agreement Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres continues to actively support the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) with Iran but is amenable to enhancements, UN Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said at a press briefing on Monday.
- Iran Threatens US With 'Fierce Reaction' to Violation of Nuclear Deal Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Earlier, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani stated that Tehran was ready for any Trump administration decision on the nuclear agreement.
- UK Foreign Secretary Warns Against Abandoning Iran Nuclear Deal Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has its weak points, but it has the fewest disadvantages of all possible mechanisms to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons, UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said.
- Saudi King Approves Protection of Whistleblowers Amid Anti-Corruption Campaign Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Last month, the establishment of departments within the public prosecution to investigate corruption cases in Saudi Arabia was approved by the country's King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
- Talks needed to avoid cross-strait conflicts: president CNA 07 May 2018 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Monday called for talks between Taiwan and China without any political preconditions on the basis of respect and equality to resolve misunderstandings and avoid misjudgments that could result in conflicts.
- Iran-backed Hezbollah, Allies Set for Major Gains in Lebanese Election VOA 07 May 2018 -- The Iran-backed Hezbollah movement and its political allies appear to be on course, according to preliminary results and pollsters' calculations, to win half the seats in Lebanon's parliament from Sunday's election – the country's first parliamentary poll in almost a decade.
- Resistance will continue because it has popular trust, support: Nasrallah Press TV 07 May 2018 -- The secretary general of the Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement has lauded ensuring an atmosphere of calm and security for the country's general elections as a national achievement, describing the results as a major victory for the resistance group.
- Lebanon election big victory for nation, political factions: Iran Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi has extended his congratulations to the Lebanese government and people over their fervid turnout in the country's parliamentary elections.
- Lebanon's PM Hariri says his party lost third of parliament seats Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri says his party has lost a third of seats in the Sunday parliamentary elections, winning only 21 seats, down from the 33 it had been holding since the last time Lebanon elected a parliament in 2009.
- Hezbollah, allies make major gains in Lebanon elections Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Preliminary unofficial results from Lebanon's parliamentary elections have showed that the Hezbollah resistance movement and its political allies secured more than half the seats.
- Interior minister: General election turnout 49.2 percent Press TV 07 May 2018 -- Lebanon's Interior Minister Nohad Machnouk says provisional voter turnout figure of the country's parliamentary elections was 49.2 percent.
- Armenian Protest Leader Holds Rally Ahead Of May 8 Vote RFE/RL 07 May 2018 -- Tens of thousands of people have attended a mass rally called by Armenian opposition leader Nikol Pashinian in Yerevan aimed at showing his popular support on the eve of a parliamentary vote on whether he should be prime minister.
- Sources: Mirziyoev Sacks Security Chief Over Incident During Turkmen Leader's Visit RFE/RL 07 May 2018 -- Sources close to Uzbek law enforcement authorities have told RFE/RL that President Shavkat Mirziyoev has dismissed his personal security chief, Abdurahim Mominov, and that Tashkent traffic police chief Barat Mamenov has been jailed.
- Sudan Discusses Preferential Oil Supplies for 5 Years With Saudi Arabia Sputnik 07 May 2018 -- Sudanese authorities are discussing getting oil supplies for five years with Saudi Arabia, Sudan's Minister of Oil and Gas Abdul-Rahman Othman said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|