05 May 2018 Military News
- Afghan forces kill at least 31 Taliban militants in Ghazni Press TV 05 May 2018 -- At least 31 Taliban militants have been killed during clashes with Afghan security forces in the central province of Ghazni.
- Afghan Forces Retake Northern District From Taliban RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- A northern Afghan district that was briefly seized by the Taliban has been recaptured by government forces, a regional official told Radio Free Afghanistan.
- New Alliance Formed Ahead of Afghan Elections VOA 05 May 2018 -- Eligible voters across Afghanistan are registering for upcoming parliamentary and provincial elections while politicians try to shore up their alliances in preparation.
- Suicide Bombers Attack Kandahar Police Chief's Residence VOA 05 May 2018 -- Three suicide bombers on Friday attacked the residence of Gen. Abdul Raziq, Kandahar Police Chief in Boldak district, provincial authorities told VOA.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US sees no change in military posture versus North Korea Press TV 05 May 2018 -- The US says there will no change in "bilateral defense posture" with South Korea despite North Korea's recent diplomatic outreach and its move to rebuild ties with Seoul.
- USS Milius Arrives in Pearl Harbor En Route to Japan NNS 05 May 2018 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Milius (DDG 69) arrived in Pearl Harbor, May 4, for a port visit.
- US Bolsters Naval Presence in Atlantic in Response to Russia VOA 05 May 2018 -- The U.S. Navy is reinforcing its presence in the Atlantic Ocean with the resurrection of a naval command in response to increasing assertiveness by Russia's military.
- Pentagon, Citing Russian Patrols, Bolsters U.S., NATO Presence In North Atlantic RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- The Pentagon has launched a new naval command to bolster the U.S. and NATO presence in the northern Atlantic Ocean, citing an increased Russian presence in those waters.
- MiG-31 With Kinzhal Missiles Unveiled by Putin Ready for Combat Use - MoD Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- Ten MiG-31 interceptors (NATO reporting name: Foxhound) with Kinzhal ("Dagger") hypersonic missiles able to penetrate air defense are on trial combat duty and ready for use, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Yuriy Borisov said.
- New Russian Missile Corvette Set to Be Floated Out on Saturday Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- A new Russian missile corvette is set to be launched Saturday at a shipyard in the country's northwestern port city of St. Petersburg, the manufacturer said.
- RAF Typhoons Sent to Intercept Russian Fighter Jet Near NATO Airspace Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- The Royal Air Force said on Friday that RAF Typhoons had been scrambled to intercept a Russian warplane approaching NATO airspace over the Black Sea.
- Royal Navy gets first unmanned minesweeping system UK MOD 05 May 2018 -- An autonomous minesweeper system that can safely clear sea lanes of mines has been handed over to the Royal Navy, Defence Minister Guto Bebb has announced.
- German Defense Minister Mulls Major Army Shift From Massive Overseas Ops Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- A new military concept provides that the German army should pay more attention to national problems which had been previously abandoned due to the army's strong focus on missions abroad.
- Kuwaiti Warship Sinks in Persian Gulf - General Staff Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- According to the Kuwaiti General Staff, one of the country's warships has sunk in the Persian Gulf on Friday. Currently, the reasons behind the incident are being investigated.
- Details of Newly Proposed EU Defense Tool to Be Presented in June - Mogherini Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- The EU will prepare by mid-June a detailed report on the recently proposed new instrument in the field of foreign policy and defense - the European Peace Facility - which would support EU operations in third countries and provide military-technical assistance to partners, EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said.
- Saudis visit Yemen's Socotra to examine UAE deployment Press TV 05 May 2018 -- A delegation of Saudi officials has visited Yemen's Socotra to directly examine the situation in the Indian Ocean island after the United Arab Emirates (UAE) deployed troops and tanks there against the will of a government supported by Riyadh.
- Syrian army retakes southern part of al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 05 May 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab Army on Saturday restored control over the southern part of al-Hajar al-Aswad neighborhood and continued its operations against terrorists positioned in the northern part of the neighborhood.
- 102 Daesh terrorists killed in southern Damascus IRNA 05 May 2018 -- The Syrian Observatory For Human Rights announced that 102 Daesh terrorists were killed in Syrian army operation in southern Damascus.
- OPCW experts take probes at site of alleged Douma attack IRNA 05 May 2018 -- According to Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, Russia will further cooperate with the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on the investigations of the alleged chemical attack in Syria's Douma.
- Evacuation of militants continues around Damascus Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Militants are leaving three southern suburbs of Damascus in increasing numbers as the Syrian government continues to secure more areas around the capital.
- US Dispatches More Military Gear to Kurds in Syria - Reports Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- The latest information adds to several other reports on the US' alleged establishment of new military bases in Al-Hasakah, as well as in eastern Deir ez-Zor last month.
- Op to Free Central Syria to Be 'Decisive Victory Over Terrorists' - General Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- With the end of the bloody war now in sight, Syrian government forces are currently engaged in flushing out the remaining jihadist militants still holed up in parts of the country.
- Rohingya to be safe in areas 'designated' for them: Myanmar army chief Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Myanmar's military chief claims that Rohingya Muslim refugees who return to the country will be safe as long as they stay in camp areas and model villages "designated" for them.
- Pakistan's army chief signs death sentences for 11 Taliban militants Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Pakistan's army chief has confirmed the death sentence for 11 militants after military courts found them guilty of carrying out multiple deadly attacks against security forces as well as civilians.
- Israeli Military Denies Involvment in Gaza Blast That Killed Six Hamas Gunmen Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- The explosion took place in Deir al-Balah, a city located in the center of the Gaza Strip, the Palestine Health ministry said. Hamas blamed Israel, while Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reject these accusations.
- Kashmir: Four killed in gun battle between Indian soldiers, pro-independence fighters Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Three pro-independence fighters and a civilian have been killed in a gun battle in Indian-controlled Kashmir as violence continues to rock the disputed Himalayan region.
- Boko Haram Attack Leaves at Least a Dozen Cameroonians Dead VOA 05 May 2018 -- Boko Haram fighters have attacked villages in the Far North region of Cameroon leaving at least a dozen dead, several soldiers wounded and the villages torched in a large operation involving hundreds of attackers, some of whom used villagers as human shields.
- U.S. Judge Questions Special Counsel Mueller's Authority In Manafort Case RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- A U.S. federal judge has challenged Special Counsel Robert Mueller's authority to bring charges against Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, suggesting that prosecutors were only using the case to force him to provide evidence against the president.
- NSA collected over 530mn US call records in 2017: Report Press TV 04 May 2018 -- The US National Security Agency (NSA) collected over 530 million records of phone calls in 2017, more than triple gathered a year before, an intelligence agency report shows.
- US Spy Agency Triples Capture of Phone Records from Americans VOA 05 May 2018 -- The U.S. National Security Agency gathered more than 534 million records of telephone calls and text messages from Americans last year, more than three times the number collected in 2016, according to a new report.
- Russian police arrest opposition leader, supporters during unsanctioned anti-Putin protest Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Russian police forces have arrested opposition leader Alexei Navalny during unsanctioned rallies against President Vladimir Putin's fourth term.
- Police Detain Navalny, Hundreds Of Protesters At Anti-Putin Rally RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny and hundreds of other protesters have been detained by police at an unsanctioned demonstration on May 5 in Moscow, part of a nationwide series of protests organized by Navalny ahead of President Vladimir Putin's inauguration for a fourth presidential term.
- Anti-Putin Activist Among Hundreds Arrested in Russian Protests VOA 05 May 2018 -- Russian's most widely known opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, along with hundreds of his supporters, were detained Saturday as street demonstrations unfolded in Moscow and 90 other Russian cities to protest Vladimir Putin's inauguration for a fourth presidential term.
- Qatar To Take Stake In Russia's Rosneft After Deal With China Falls Through RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- Qatar has agreed to take a 19 percent stake in Rosneft, rescuing the Russian state oil giant after its hopes of selling a major stake to a Chinese company fell through.
- Russia detains five Daesh members, foils planned attacks Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Russia's main intelligence agency says it has detained five members of a terror cell run by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group while they were planning to carry out attacks in several regions across the country.
- Russia Arrests Five Alleged Islamic State Militants Said To Be Planning Attacks RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) says it has detained five members of an alleged Islamic State cell planning attacks in several regions, and seized an array of their weapons, Russian news agencies reported.
- Russia, China reiterate support for JCPOA IRNA 05 May 2018 -- Russia and China in a joint statement published on Russian Foreign Ministry's website reiterated support for JCPOA, the official name of 2015 nuclear deal reached between Iran and six world major powers.
- Iran top security official rules out possibility of war IRNA 05 May 2018 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani on Saturday ruled out the possibility of any military aggression against the country.
- Iran, Oman to hold joint maritime drill: Military official IRNA 05 May 2018 -- Iran and Oman are to conduct a joint maritime maneuver in the Persian Gulf waters, a military official announced here on Saturday.
- Russian official: JCPOA implementation will continue without US IRNA 05 May 2018 -- A Russian foreign ministry official said on Friday that the US exist from Iran nuclear deal, known as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) will leave negative impact on Washington's position.
- Any Iran nuclear deal violation to discredit US: Senior MP Press TV 05 May 2018 -- A senior Iranian lawmaker says any violation of a multilateral nuclear deal signed between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015 will further undermine America's standing in the world.
- Iran's Rohani Strongly Criticizes Court Block On Telegram Service RFE/RL 05 May 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has strongly criticized a ban on the Telegram messaging service that was imposed by the country's judiciary, saying his administration does not support it.
- 'Pandora's Box': Macron Warns US Exit From Iran Nuclear Deal Might Mean War Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- A May 12 deadline is looming for US President Donald Trump to decide whether to scrap an internationally-brokered nuclear deal with Iran and re-impose sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
- Beijing blasts Macron accusations of Chinese 'hegemony' Press TV 05 May 2018 -- China has denounced as "groundless accusations" French President Emmanuel Macron's warning against what he called the dominance of the East Asian country in the Indo-Pacific region.
- China Rebuffs Macron's Remarks on 'Hegemony' in Indo-Pacific Region Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- Macron's comment came amid allegations that Beijing has installed anti-shipping cruise missiles and surface-to-air missiles on the disputed islands in the South China Sea.
- Four Turkish opposition parties form parliamentary coalition Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Four Turkish opposition parties have announced the forming of a coalition in an attempt to challenge Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan party in the upcoming national election.
- Fair election impossible in Turkey, says jailed ex-head of pro-Kurdish opposition Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Turkey's Kurdish opposition presidential candidate Selahattin Demirtas has dismissed the likelihood of a free and fair election under the current state of emergency in the country.
- Turkey's CHP opposition party names Muharrem Ince as presidential candidate Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) has presented senior legislator Muharrem Ince as its presidential candidate to challenge incumbent President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in the country's June presidential elections.
- Turkish Opposition Gains Momentum Ahead of June Election - Lawmaker Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, that Turkey should hold snap presidential and parliamentary elections on June 24 instead of initially scheduled November 2019, in order to appease the switch from the parliament to the presidential system of government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|