30 April 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 30 Apr 2018 [PDF]
- Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command Deactivation Ceremony CJTF-OIR 30 Apr 2018 -- The Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command (CJFLCC) Headquarters was deactivated today at a ceremony in Baghdad, signifying the end of major combat operations against ISIS in Iraq and acknowledging the changing composition and responsibilities of the Coalition.
- US-Led Coalition Signals End of Major Anti-Daesh Ops in Iraq Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- US-led coalition forces have closed the Baghdad headquarters of the Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command Headquarters, signaling the end of major combat operations against Daesh terrorist group, Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) said in a press release on Monday.
- With Islamic State Defeated, US Shuts Iraqi Command Center VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. on Monday shut its Iraqi military headquarters controlling American ground operations against Islamic State, signifying the end of major combat operations against the insurgents.
- Kabul Suicide Blasts Kill 26 People, Including 9 Journalists VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- A twin suicide bombing Monday in Afghanistan's capital Kabul killed at least 26 people, including nine journalists. At least 50 people were wounded, including five journalists.
- UN 'outraged' by suicide attacks in Afghanistan UN News 30 Apr 2018 -- Strongly condemning terrorist attacks in the Afghan capital, Kabul, and in Kandahar, senior United Nations officials, including Secretary-General António Guterres, underscored the need to bring those behind the attacks to justice.
- Death toll rises to 7 after 2 bomb attacks rock Afghan capital Kabul People's Daily 30 Apr 2018 -- At least seven civilians, including a woman, were killed and over 20 others wounded after two bomb blasts rocked a diplomatic district in central Kabul on Monday morning, an Interior Ministry spokesman said.
- Bloodshed as deadly blasts rip through Kabul Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Two back-to-back bomb blasts have hit near government buildings in the Afghan capital, Kabul, during the morning rush hour, leaving at least 25 people dead and 49 others injured.
- 'No More Hope': Kabul Carnage Lays Bare Plight Of Afghan Journalism RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- Two years before his death, Shah Marai, the chief Kabul-based photographer for the French news agency Agence France-Presse, pondered the hopelessness that he said had descended on his native country of Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Accepts Delivery of Future USS Tulsa (LCS 16) NNS 30 Apr 2018 -- The Navy accepted delivery of the future USS Tulsa (LCS 16) during a ceremony in Mobile, Alabama, April 30.
- Lincoln Departs For Carrier Qualifications, CSSQT NNS 30 Apr 2018 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) departed on an underway, April 24, and is scheduled to conduct three major evolutions - carrier qualifications, Combat Systems Ship Qualification Trials (CSSQT) and student pilot carrier qualifications.
- USS Farragut Arrives in Gydnia NNS 30 Apr 2018 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99) arrived in Gydnia, Poland, April 27, for a scheduled port visit to enhance U.S. and Poland relations as the two nations work together for a stable, secure and prosperous Europe.
- USS Kearsarge Arrives in Port Everglades for Fleet Week NNS 30 Apr 2018 -- Thirteen hundred Sailors and Marines assigned to the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) manned the rails of the ship's flight deck as she moored in Port Everglades, Florida, Apr. 30 for the start of Fleet Week Port Everglades 2018.
- NATO wins the world's largest live-fire cyber exercise NATO 30 Apr 2018 -- NATO has won the world's largest live-fire cyber exercise, Locked Shields 2018. After an intense competition from 23 to 26 April, NATO's "Blue team" of 30 cyber defenders - led by the NATO Communications and Information (NCI) Agency - took the top prize in Tallinn, Estonia. French and Czech teams placed second and third, respectively.
- Han Kuang drills open with computerized war games CNA 30 Apr 2018 -- The computer-aided war games section of this year's Han Kuang military exercises, Taiwan's biggest annual military drill, kicked off Monday with a simulation of an invasion by Chinese forces.
- China likely to step up military exercises: defense minister CNA 30 Apr 2018 -- China is expected to increase the scope of its long-distance combat training exercises at sea to put greater pressure on Taiwan, Minister of National Defense Yen Teh-fa (嚴德發) said Monday.
- 'Hottest Flashpoint in the Region': Taiwan Wants US Tanks to Counter China Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- The head of Taiwan's Defense Ministry told lawmakers on Monday that US M1A2 Abrams tanks will be required to defend the island in the event of a conflict with China.
- Missiles are Iran's main defensive asset: IRGC IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Missiles are Iran's defensive asset and main elements of the country's deterrent power, said on Monday Brigadier General Hossein Salami Deputy Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC).
- IRGC deputy chief: Missiles Iran's main defensive asset Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Deputy commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has described missiles as Iran's "main defensive asset" and therefore indispensable to its military might.
- Israel Reportedly Won't Rule Out Attack on Iranian Soil if Hit by Iran's Proxies Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- Officials in Tel Aviv issued the warning to Tehran less than a day after a reported Israeli missile strike on military bases in Syria, one of which reportedly resulted in Iranian military casualties.
- U.S. Confirms Delivery Of Javelin Antitank Missiles To Ukraine RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- The United States has confirmed to RFE/RL its delivery of American-made, Javelin antitank missile systems to Ukraine in a move that is welcome in Kyiv but will almost certainly enrage Moscow amid a four-year conflict that pits Russia-backed separatists against Ukrainian national troops.
- US State Department Confirms Delivering Javelin Missile Systems to Ukraine Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- The US Department of State has confirmed delivery of Javelin anti-tank missile systems to Ukraine, a department spokesperson told Sputnik on Monday.
- Press Availability With Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi US Dept. of State 30 Apr 2018 -- Remarks by Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State
- 30 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 30 Apr 2018
- What's Behind Vietnam's More Vocal Stance Against China? VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- Vietnam sounded off twice last week against China over a long-festering maritime sovereignty dispute, after months of silence. But analysts expect to see angry phases like this one alternate more often with silent ones.
- Yemeni forces conduct attack on Saudi positions in Najran IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni forces together with popular committees conducted an attack on Saudi troops positions in Najran, southwestern Saudi Arabia.
- Saudi airstrikes on Yemen kills 8, injures 10 IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- The Saudi Arabia air attack on Yemen killed 8 civilians and injured 10 others.
- Houthis vow to step up missile attacks on Saudi oil facilities Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Yemen's popular Houthi Ansarullah movement has said it would step up its strikes on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities in retaliation for the kingdom's three-year invasion of the impoverished country.
- Syrian Government, Rebels Reach Evacuation Agreement for S. Damascus VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- An agreement brokered by Russia to evacuate neighborhoods in southern Damascus was reached Monday between the Syrian government and rebel groups controlling the enclave of southern Damascus.
- Syria War Monitor Says Missile Attack Killed 26 VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- Missiles struck Syrian military bases in Hama and Aleppo late Sunday in what state-run television called a "new aggression" by its enemies.
- President Assad: Iran fully understands Syrian realities IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Monday that the Iranian people and government thoroughly understand the root cause of the Syrian crisis and have spared no efforts to help his country.
- Terrorists to leave Yarmouk Camp, Syria IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- SANA's reporter said that an agreement was reached in Yarmouk Camp between terrorist groups and the Syrian state to free Yarmouk Camp.
- US, UK bases fire missile at Syrian positions IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- The US and UK bases in Jordan on Monday fired 9 ballistic missiles at Syrian positions in Hama, Aleppo, Russian media 'RT Arabic' reported.
- Syrian Army hunts down terrorists in southern Damascus IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab Army continued their military operation to eradicate terrorism in southern Damascus.
- Syrian jets bomb militant positions in southern Damascus neighborhood Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- The Syrian Army has carried out a series of precision and intensive airstrikes against hideouts of Takfiri militants in a neighborhood of southern Damascus as government soldiers press ahead with a counter-terrorism military campaign in the region.
- Syria more resolute on terror fight after missile strikes: Assad Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the escalation of aggression against Syria will only boost the country's resolve to uproot terrorism in all its forms.
- Israel Refuses to Comment on Reported Missile Strikes Against Syria Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- Haaretz has reported that a spate of alleged missile attacks on Syrian military bases in the Hama and Aleppo provinces might be staged by Israeli forces.
- Reported Missile Strikes on Syrian Army Arms Depots Kill 26 - Monitoring Group Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- Several Syrian military bases have been struck by missiles in the Hama and Aleppo provinces, a source in Syria law enforcement told Sputnik.
- Iraq to continue pounding Daesh positions inside Syria Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has pledged to continue airstrikes on the positions and headquarters of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group inside neighboring Syria, stressing that Baghdad will not meddle in the political affairs of the Damascus government.
- Thousands call for aid access for villagers trapped by fighting in Myanmar's Kachin Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Thousands of people have staged a massive rally in Myanmar's northern Kachin state to demand humanitarian access for villagers who have been caught in fighting between the army and an ethnic armed group in the war-torn region.
- Myanmar: Security Council delegation meets top politicians, civil society leaders UN News 30 Apr 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council is continuing its mission to Bangladesh and Myanmar, taking a first-hand look at the plight of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees who have fled across the border to escape violence.
- Pompeo Calls Israeli-Palestinian Peace 'Incredible Priority' for US VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that providing whatever assistance is necessary to bring Israeli-Palestinian peace is an "incredible priority" for the United States, and he urged the Palestinians to "return to that political dialogue."
- EU Expected To Expand Russia Sanctions Over Presidential Poll In Crimea RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- The European Union is set to sanction five people who, according to the bloc, helped organize the Russian presidential election in the annexed Ukrainian region of Crimea in March.
- Russians Not Turning on Kremlin Even as Latest US Sanctions Bite VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- The latest U.S. sanctions imposed on Russia earlier this month targeting two dozen Kremlin insiders and oligarchs close to Vladimir Putin and their companies are proving more painful than had been expected, say analysts. But they're doing nothing at this stage in turning ordinary Russians against the Kremlin or undermining the Russian leader's overall popularity.
- Armenia opposition leader Pashinyan formally nominated for prime minister by supporters Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Armenian anti-government protest leader Nikol Pashinyan has been formally nominated for the post of prime minister by his supporters, after two weeks of mass rallies in the South Caucus nation and a day before parliament votes on a new head of government.
- Armenian Protest Leader Pashinian Only Candidate For Premier RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- Armenian protest leader Nikol Pashinian will be the only officially nominated candidate for prime minister as parliament votes to select a new head of government on May 1.
- Panmunjeom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity and Unification of the Korean Peninsula ROK Ministry of Unification 30 Apr 2018 -- During this momentous period of historical transformation on the Korean Peninsula, reflecting the enduring aspiration of the Korean people for peace, prosperity and unification, President Moon Jae-in of the Republic of Korea and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea held an Inter-Korean Summit Meeting at the 'Peace House' at Panmunjeom on April 27, 2018.
- Two-thirds of South Koreans believe Kim's denuclearization promises: poll Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- A recent summit between the leaders of the two Koreas has raised genuine hopes for peace on the Korean Peninsula as a poll suggests more than two thirds of South Koreans believe North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un is serious about his promises of denuclearization and reaching peace in the region.
- US weighing Libyan disarmament model for North Korea: Bolton Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's new national security adviser, John Bolton, says he is considering a "Libya model" to denuclearize North Korea, a model that Pyongyang has singled out in the past as a source of its distrust for Washington.
- Australian Spy Aircraft Deployed to Monitor North Korean Sanctions Violations Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- Canberra has sent its most advanced P-8 Poseidon early warning aircraft north to monitor potential violations of sanctions meant to put pressure on Pyongyang, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told reporters on Saturday.
- US State Dept. Urges N Korea Make 'Irreversible' Steps Towards Denuclearization Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that he believes that there is a "real opportunity" for US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to clinch a denuclearization deal during their scheduled high-level talks.
- Trump Offers DMZ, Singapore as Locations for Meeting with Kim VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- Meeting the North Korean leader at the Demilitarized Zone would be "intriguing," U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters on Monday, hours after he tweeted he would like to hold a summit with Kim Jong Un at the "Peace House/Freedom House" on the border of the two Koreas.
- DPRK resets Pyongyang time to align with S. Korea People's Daily 30 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, left, and South Korean President Moon Jae-in raise their hands after signing a joint statement at the border village of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. [File photo: Korea Summit Press Pool via AP]
- Iranian Armed Forces afraid of no enemy: Defense Minister ISNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic is determined to boost its deterrent power, stressing that the Iranian nation, particularly the Armed Forces, are not fearful of any enemy.
- Zarif likens Netanyahu to 'the boy who cried wolf' Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is like the boy who cries wolf after he repeats old allegations concerning Iran's nuclear activities.
- PM Netanyahu's Remarks Israel Prime Minister's Office 30 Apr 2018 -- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, this evening, at the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv, made the following remarks: (...) "Tonight, we're going to show you something that the world has never seen before. Tonight, we are going to reveal new and conclusive proof of the secret nuclear weapons program that Iran has been hiding for years from the international community in its secret atomic archive."
- Israeli PM Netanyahu playing baseless childish game: Araqchi Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi has said that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is playing a baseless childish, naive game.
- Israel's Netanyahu Claims 'Proof' Iran Sought Nuclear Weapons RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his country has obtained copies of tens of thousands of files purportedly containing "incriminating" information about Iran's nuclear program, including evidence that Tehran was seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.
- Netanyahu: Israel Has Evidence Iran is Developing Nuclear Weapons Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- According to the prime minister, Israel has proof of 'secret' Iranian nuclear program.
- Netanyahu: Iran 'Brazenly Lying' about Nuclear Weapons Development VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Iran on Monday of "brazenly lying" about its ongoing nuclear weapons development in violation of the 2015 international pact that sought to restrain Tehran's nuclear ambitions.
- Iran: Continuation of status quo for JCPOA intolerable IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for political affairs Abbas Araqchi said continuation of current situation for Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) would not be tolerable, either US gets out of it or remain, and Iran has taken special measures for the case.
- Trump should stop bothering himself, others: Iran nuclear official IRNA 30 Apr 2018 -- The US administration and President Donald Trump should come to their senses and stop bothering themselves and others, said the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) in Mashad on Monday.
- In an interview with ISNA: Continuing the issue will not be tolerable whether or not US withdraws: Araghchi ISNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Iran's deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs, Abbas Araghchi emphasized that it is possible to return to the pre-JCPOA era.
- Anti-Iran threats won't affect US talks with N Korea: Trump Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says his approach towards the Iran nuclear deal will not affect talks with North Korea.
- Iran's judiciary issues order to ban using Telegram messaging application Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- The Iranian Judiciary has issued an order completely banning the use of the Telegram messaging application over the harm it has done to the country's security, culture and economy during the past few years.
- Iran to return to pre-JCPOA conditions if nuclear deal fails: AEOI Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi says the country has enough technical know-how to return to conditions it had before signing a nuclear deal with the P5+1 group of countries in 2015.
- Putin, Macron reaffirm need to preserve JCPOA: Kremlin Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron agree on the need to preserve and fully implement the Iran nuclear deal, the Kremlin says in a statement.
- Leader: US provoking certain states to confront Iran Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the US is instigating Saudi Arabia and certain other regional countries to start a confrontation with Iran.
- Reports: Iranian Judiciary Bans Telegram Messaging App RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- Iran's judiciary has banned the use of the Telegram messaging app, saying it has been used to organize attacks and street protests, according to state television and a news agency affiliated with the judiciary.
- Trump Says He Would Not Rule Out Negotiating New Iran Deal Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- The US president said Monday that the US's likely withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) would send a "positive signal" to North Korea.
- Somali Parliament Elects New Speaker VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- Somali lawmakers elected Mohamed Mursal Abdirahman speaker of parliament's lower house Monday after two rounds of voting in Mogadishu's heavily protected parliament building.
- Two Jordanians on Trial in Saudi Arabia Over Spying for Mossad - Reports Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- The charges brought by Saudi authorities against the two men also include a planned terrorist attack during the annual hajj pilgrimage four years ago, according to media reports.
- Khan Draws Big Crowd As Pakistani Parties Launch Campaign Drives RFE/RL 30 Apr 2018 -- Tens of thousands of supporters in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore greeted popular opposition lawmaker Imran Khan as the country's political parties launched their campaigns for the upcoming national elections.
- Bezos' Blue Origin launches its 1st space mission of 2018 People's Daily 30 Apr 2018 -- Blue Origin, the U.S. aerospace company owned by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, has launched Sunday its suborbital New Shepard rocket and space capsule.
- Taiwan to continue bid for participation in world bodies: president CNA 30 Apr 2018 -- Taiwan will continue to push its bid for participation in international organizations, with the aim of contributing to societies around the world, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) affirmed Monday.
- Kurdish Vote May Have Major Impact on Turkey's Polls VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- A crackdown on Turkey's main Kurdish party, HDP, is intensifying as the country heads to elections. The crackdown comes as Kurds – a fifth of the electorate – are increasingly seen as key to the outcome of the June 24 general and presidential elections.
- Erdogan Seeks To Find 'Lost Opportunities' On Uzbekistan Visit RFE/RL 40 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is touting relations with Uzbekistan during a visit to the Central Asian country, saying that ties have reached a "strategic level."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|