26 April 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 26 Apr 2018 [PDF]
- US Going to Expand Fight in Syria - Mattis Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- US Secretary of Defense James Mattis has explained his country's decision not to withdraw troops from Syria during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, referring to increased Daesh offensives in the region.
- US Special Ops Command: Electronic Weapons Are 'Disabling' US Aircraft in Syria Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- The commander of US Special Operations complained during a recent speech in Florida that electronic weapons are "disabling" US aircraft flying in Syrian airspace.
- US Senator Releases Report on Pentagon Mismanagement of Afghanistan Program Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- A new report details chronic mismanagement by the Pentagon of a program designed to provide counterinsurgency intelligence experts to train members of the Afghan National Security Forces, US Senator Claire McCaskill's office said in a press release on Thursday.
- US Says Taliban 'Spring Offensive' Unjustified Amid Bid to Revive Peace Talks Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- The Taliban lacks any justification to launch a new spring offensive as Afghan President Ashraf Ghani is trying to revive the peace process, US Acting Secretary of State John Sullivan said in a statement.
- Afghan politician, three others killed as Taliban launch spring offensive Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- A senior Afghan politician and three others have been killed in an attack by the Taliban as the militant group launched its so-called spring offensive dubbed Al Khandaq.
- NATO Chief Says Alliance Could Help With Afghan Election Security RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- NATO says it could provide additional security during Afghanistan's parliamentary elections, amid increasing attacks in the country ahead of the October polls.
Defense Policy / Programs
- AF aims to save $2B, improve lethality with new acquisition approach AFNS 26 Apr 2018 -- A new acquisition program has the potential to help the Air Force save $2 billion and make it a more lethal fighting force, the leader who oversees the program said.
- Budget Request Continues on Path to Military Recovery, Chairman Says AFPS 26 Apr 2018 -- The current budget situation will allow the military to restore its competitive advantage over any possible adversary, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- Mattis Highlights Efforts to Restore Military, Fight Tomorrow's Wars AFPS 26 Apr 2018 -- The United States has a clear way forward with the 2018 National Defense Strategy to restore the military's competitive edge in an era of re-emerging long-term great power competition, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- U.S., Thailand Commence Guardian Sea Exercise AFPS 26 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. Navy and Royal Thai Navy began exercise Guardian Sea here yesterday.
- Foreign Ministers Setting Stage for NATO Summit, Secretary General Says AFPS 26 Apr 2018 -- NATO foreign ministers are dealing with issues of Russia, Afghanistan and the Middle East during their meeting in Brussels this week, alliance Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said this morning.
- State of the Infantry: updates to marksmanship, training Army News 26 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. is being challenged by a number of near-peer adversaries and, to a certain extent, terrorist organizations, said Brig. Gen. Christopher T. Donahue, Infantry School Commandant, Maneuver Center of Excellence.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Israeli Minister of Defense Avigdor Lieberman DoD 26 Apr 2018
- Secretary Mattis Hosts Enhanced Honor Cordon Welcoming Israeli Minister of Defense Avigdor Lieberman to Pentagon DoD 26 Apr 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis; Israeli Minister of Defense Avigdor Lieberman
- Need it fast? Marines can print it USMC News 26 Apr 2018 -- In the last few years, the Marine Corps has increased its exploration of additive manufacturing, or 3D printing, to quickly replace parts for weapons, vehicles and equipment.
- Arleigh Burke Arrives In Malta NNS 26 Apr 2018 -- The visit reaffirms U.S.-Malta relations as the two nations work together for a stable, secure and prosperous Europe.
- USS Farragut Departs Portsmouth NNS 26 Apr 2018 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99) departed Portsmouth, United Kingdom, April 24, following a three-day port visit.
- US Strategy For Winning Future Wars Makes Hypersonic Weapons Priority – Mattis Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- Development of hypersonic weapons has become a top priority in a range of technological innovations targeted by US military planners to increase the lethality of US forces to a level needed to defeat adversaries in battle, Secretary of Defense James Mattis told Congress on Thursday.
- US tests nuclear-capable missile, keeps details secret Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- The United States Air Force has test-launched a nuclear-capable Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) without prior notice to the public.
- Russia, Ukraine Top NATO Agenda VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- NATO foreign ministers meet Friday in Brussels, where tensions with Russia are set to top the agenda.
- Secretary General previews meeting of NATO Foreign Ministers NATO 26 Apr 2018 -- Foreign Ministers will meet on Friday (27 April 2018) to prepare for the NATO Summit in July. On Thursday, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg previewed the ministers' four working sessions, which will focus on Russia, the Middle East and North Africa, Afghanistan, and the Western Balkans / NATO's Open Door policy.
- China Puts 'Guam Killer' Missile Into Service Amid Ongoing Drills Near Taiwan Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- The Chinese Air Force has stated that the country's fighter jets, reconnaissance planes and bombers have taken part in "combat drills" around Taiwan as part of a series of exercises "to strengthen its capacity to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity."
- Chinese Air Force conducts drill around Taiwan CNA 26 Apr 2018 -- China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) conducted an Air Force drill around Taiwan on Thursday morning, the latest in a series of air and sea military exercises by China over the past two weeks.
- China flies military planes around Taiwan in show of force Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- China has flown an array of military aircraft around Taiwan in a fresh show of force aimed at pro-independence forces in the self-ruled island nation.
- Military drills a show of force to Taiwan People's Daily 26 Apr 2018 -- Beijing will take further action to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity if Taiwan separatists continue to carry out secession activities, a senior mainland official warned on Wednesday in Beijing following recent military drills in the Taiwan Straits.
- Military pension reform bill review stalled due to KMT boycott CNA 26 Apr 2018 -- A legislative committee review of the government's proposed military pension reform bill was adjourned Thursday due to a boycott by the opposition Kuomintang (KMT).
- Organizers suspend military pension reform protests CNA 26 Apr 2018 -- After a protest against the military pension reform bill staged outside the Legislative Yuan turned violent, leaving 84 police officers and 12 reporters injured, the event organizers announced on Thursday the suspension of further demonstrations.
- Three US senators move to block F-35 transfers to Turkey Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Three US senators have introduced a resolution aimed at blocking the transfer of Lockheed Martin's F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to Turkey, which is a NATO ally of the United States.
- Serbia Bans Croatian Defense Minister In Tit-For-Tat Move RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Serbia has barred Croatian Defense Minister Damir Krsticevic from entering the country until further notice, following a similar action by Zagreb.
- Briefing With Spokesperson Heather Nauert US Dept. of State 26 Apr 2018 -- Special Briefing by Heather Nauert, Department Spokesperson
- 26 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Apr 2018
- Yemeni ballistic missile targets Saudi base in Najran Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni forces have fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at a military base in Saudi Arabia's southern border region of Najran in retaliation for the Saudi-led military strikes against their country, Yemeni media report.
- Israeli Envoy to UN Claims Iran Recruted Over 80,000 Muslim Fighters in Syria Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- As the Israeli ambassador specified, the recruitment base is located just a few miles from Damascus.
- Iran Recruited 80,000 Shi'ite Fighters In Syria, Israel Says RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Iran has recruited at least 80,000 Shi'ite fighters and is running an "induction and recruitment center" at a base near the Syrian capital, Israel says.
- Syrian Army recaptures areas in southern Damascus IRNA 26 Apr 2018 -- Syrian Army liberated some areas in Al-Hajar al-Aswad, south of Damascus, on site sources reported.
- 49 Daesh terrorists killed in clashes with Syrian army IRNA 26 Apr 2018 -- Some 49 members of the Takfiri terrorist group of Daesh were killed in clashes with the Syrian army in south of Damascus Wednesday, according to an entity called the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
- Iran FM: Foreign interventions will delay peace in Syria IRNA 26 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Wednesday that foreign interventions will only delay access to peace in Syria.
- Syrian forces discover UK, German-made chemical weapons depot in Douma Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Syria's government forces have discovered a depot of German and UK-manufactured chemical weapons left by terrorists in the town of Douma, a Syrian official says.
- Syria, Russia present witnesses of 'staged' gas attack Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Russia says the recent suspected chemical weapons attack in the Syrian town of Douma was a "provocation" that Moscow had warned about in advance.
- Syrian forces gain ground in militant-held Damascus district Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Syrian troops have advanced against Takfiri militants in a southern Damascus neighborhood as they press ahead with a counter-terrorism military campaign in the region.
- Last batch of militants evacuate East Qalamoun: Syrian media Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Law and order has been restored to Syria's East Qalamoun region after the final batch of militants leave the enclave located in the suburbs of the capital Damascus.
- Russia Says It Will Deliver New Air-Defense Systems To Syria Soon RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- The Russian military has said it will soon deliver new air-defense systems to Syria in light of missile attacks launched on alleged Syrian chemical-weapons facilities by the United States, Britain, and France nearly two weeks ago.
- Britain, France Decry 'Stunt' By Russia, Syria On Douma 'Witnesses' RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Britain and France have denounced as a "stunt" and "masquerade" a move by Russia and Syria to produce Syrian witnesses to support claims that there was no chemical attack in the city of Douma earlier this month.
- Army Finds Terrorist Depots With Chemicals Produced in UK, Germany - Damascus Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- Syrian government troops are continuing to make surprising discoveries during their campaign to put an end to the war and reinstate order in the country.
- UN Peacekeepers Uncover Suspected Mass Graves in DRC VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- U.N. investigators have uncovered what they believe to be five mass graves in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, the scene of nearly 20 years of fierce ethnic fighting.
- EU extends Myanmar arms embargo over rights violations, prepares individual sanctions Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- The European Union has extended its arms embargo on Myanmar, preparing targeted measures against officials responsible for serious human rights violations.
- Fighting in Kachin Highlights Myanmar Civil War Worries VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- Thousands of civilians remain displaced in northern Myanmar amid renewed fighting in recent weeks, many with little access to aid, bringing fresh concerns that the country's peace process has stalled under the current government.
- Gaza Escalation Risk Rising, UN Envoy Warns VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- The U.N. envoy for the Middle East peace process warned Thursday that the Gaza Strip could erupt into conflict and urged de-escalation.
- 'Gaza is about to explode,' UN envoy warns Security Council UN News 26 Apr 2018 -- The Palestinian-Israeli conflict is continuing with no prospects for a political resolution and "Gaza is about to explode," a senior United Nations official said Thursday, urging both sides to avoid further clashes along the enclave's border.
- US Senate Approves Mike Pompeo as 70th Secretary of State Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- With fifty-seven voting for and forty-two voting against, US senators have approved the nomination of Mike Pompeo for the position of the US top diplomat.
- Pompeo Sworn in as US Secretary of State after Senate Confirmation VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- Former CIA Director Mike Pompeo was sworn in as U.S. secretary of state Thursday after a divided Senate voted 57-42 to confirm President Donald Trump's nominee, with all Republicans backing him and all but six Democrats and one independent lawmaker opposed.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, April 26, 2018 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 26 Apr 2018
- MEPs Urge EU Magnitsky Act To Tackle Kremlin's 'Antidemocratic" Activities RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Dozens of lawmakers in the European Parliament have called on the European Union to adopt legislation that would punish Russian businessmen for money-laundering activities within the bloc that they said are used to back the Kremlin's "antidemocratic" moves.
- Armenia's 'Velvet Revolution' Prompts Comparisons With Ukraine, Georgia VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- Armenia's acting prime minister has said the country will hold new elections if all parties agree to it, prompting celebrations Wednesday on the streets of the capital, Yerevan.
- Putin tells acting Armenian PM to resolve political crisis via legal means Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Russia has advised political leaders in Armenia to resolve the current crisis in the neighboring country "solely within the framework of the law".
- Armenia parliament sets May 1 as date to elect new premier Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Armenia's parliament has set May 1 as the date to elect a new prime minister as authorities struggle to settle a widening political dispute that has gripped the South Caucasus nation for weeks.
- Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinian Rules Out Compromise, Says He Is Only Legitimate PM Candidate RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Armenian opposition leader Nikol Pashinian dismissed any compromise with the ruling Republican Party (HHK) and claimed he was the only legitimate candidate for the prime minister's post, while the country's president refused to take sides but told RFE/RL that Armenia was on the path to becoming "real democratic state."
- Leaders of North, South Korea meet at historic summit Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korean President Moon have held their historic summit at the border village of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized Zone.
- Inter-Korean Summit to Set Agenda to Remove Nukes VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- Final preparations are underway for Friday's historic third summit between the leaders of North and South Korea.
- China Cautiously Optimistic About North-South Korea Talks VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- China is intently watching this week's historic meeting between North and South Korea, hopeful that crucial steps will be taken towards peace on the Korean peninsula, but also anxious, analysts say, about the role it can play as talks move forward.
- North Korean leader's sister, other officials to accompany Kim in inter-Korean summit: Seoul Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- A South Korean official says North Korean leader Kim Jon-un will be accompanied by his sister and North Korea's ceremonial head of state as well as two ministers in a historic inter-Korean summit with the South Korean president on Friday.
- North, South Korean Leaders To Hold Summit At Border RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Kim Jong Un is to become the first North Korean leader to set foot on South Korean territory since the end of the Korean War in 1953 when he crosses the military demarcation line dividing the two Koreas on April 27.
- North Korea's Nuclear Test Site Collapsed, Needs to be Monitored – Chinese Study Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- The data in the Chinese study was collected in the wake of Pyongyang's sixth nuclear test on September 3, which allegedly triggered four earthquakes over the subsequent weeks.
- Mattis: No Decision Yet on US Withdrawal From Iran Deal VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says there has been no decision made on any U.S. withdrawal from the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement but Washington is working with its European allies to see if there are ways to improve the pact.
- US made no decision yet on whether to stay in Iran deal: Mattis Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- The US secretary of defense says the country's administration has yet made no decision on whether or not to stay in the multilateral nuclear deal with Iran as a deadline for the White House to make an announcement on the matter draws closer.
- Russia rejects any prospect for changes, additions to Iran nuclear deal Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Russia says it sees no room for amendments or additions to the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and six world countries as a deadline looms for the US to announce whether or not it will keep its side of the bargain.
- EU's appeasement of Trump will make JCPOA impotent: Iranian official Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- A senior Iranian official says the 2015 nuclear agreement should be honored in its current form, adding that the Islamic Republic will not accept a deal that harms the country.
- Iran, Russia, China must adopt joint strategy against US bids: Official Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- A senior Iranian security official has underlined the necessity for Iran, China and Russia to adopt a joint strategy to counter US attempts at harming the three countries.
- French President Says He Doesn't Expect Trump To Keep Honoring Iran Deal RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron said he does not expect U.S. President Donald Trump to continue honoring the Iran nuclear deal because of his campaign pledge to do away with it.
- Iran Vows to Pull Out of Nuclear Deal if US Exits It - Senior Official Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- According to a senior advisor to Iran's supreme leader, as quoted by the Fars news agency, the country won't accept any amendments to the JCPOA, also known as the Iran nuclear deal, which do not benefit Tehran.
- Pakistani court bans foreign minister from holding office Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- A Pakistani court on Thursday disqualified Foreign Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif from holding office, dealing a blow to the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz party (PML-N).
- France Detects Over 400 Daesh Donors Financing Terror Attacks - Report Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- As a two-day conference on the fight against terrorism financing began on Wednesday at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris authorities announced that they have identified hundreds of donors supporting one of the most notorious terrorist groups.
- Macron Urges Coordination in Fighting Terror Financing VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron called for closer coordination and transparency in fighting terrorist financing Thursday as he closed a two-day international conference in Paris that focused on two of the biggest threats – al-Qaida and Islamic State.
- China's lunar probe to be launched next year People's Daily 26 Apr 2018 -- China's Chang'e V lunar probe is expected to be launched next year, said Wang Wei, Chinese Academy of Sciences academic and head of research and development under the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation.
- Private space company in China will produce 10 rockets annually People's Daily 26 Apr 2018 -- China's private space company Landspace recently announced plans to expand its general assembly factory. After expansion, the factory will be able to produce up to 200 rocket engines and 10 rockets every year, thepaper.cn reported.
- UK May Set Up Satellite Program Separate From EU - Reports Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- Britain may seek to capitalise on the market in space travel and exploration by developing its own global satellite navigation system, potentially in partnership with countries as disparate as Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
- Erdogan Signs Law to Harmonize Election System With Recent Reforms - Reports Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan signed a law aimed at harmonization of the Turkish electoral system in line with the recently approved constitutional reforms, the Anadolu news agency reported.
- Amnesty accuses Ankara of creating 'climate of fear' after coup attempt Press TV 26 Apr 2018 -- Amnesty International has accused the Turkish government of creating a "suffocating climate of fear" across the country and launching a campaign of repression against human rights activists after a botched coup to topple Turkish President Recep Tayyep Erdogan in 2016.
- Kyrgyz Investigators Question Ex-PM Isakov Days After Dismissal RFE/RL 26 Apr 2018 -- Kyrgyz former Prime Minister Sapar Isakov says he has been questioned by investigators over an incident that left parts of the capital without heating last winter.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|