15 January 2018 Military News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 15 Jan 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Afghanistan Unable to Field Army for 6 Months Without US Assistance - President Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The Afghan army will be unable to operate even for six months without US support, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said.
- In strife-torn Afghanistan, people need support 'more than ever' says senior UN aid official UN News 15 Jan 2018 -- Amid continuing violence in Afghanistan, the United Nations and the humanitarian community has appealed for $430 million to provide assistance to some 2.8 million people across the country who have been affected by conflict and natural disasters as well as families returning home after years in Iran and Pakistan.
- In Afghanistan, Security Council reiterates support for efforts to restore peace and progress UN News 15 Jan 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council, during a weekend mission to Afghanistan, reiterated its support for the Central Asian country’s efforts to restore peace, stability and progress.
- UN Security Council Makes Lightening Visit to Afghanistan VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- The U.N. Security Council has made a lightening visit to Afghanistan, where diplomats met with the National Unity Government and had a first-hand look at the situation in the country.
- Amid Concerns, Afghan Forces Ready to Hand Over Security Responsibilities to Rural Communities VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- Afghan forces are planning to hand over the security responsibilities to the local forces of the rural communities, they have recently captured from Taliban and IS militants, in eastern Nangarhar a province that borders Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US moves more warships, bombers near North Korea ahead of Olympics Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- The United States has moved more warships and aircraft near the Korean Peninsula, expanding its military presence in the region as South Korea prepares to host North Korean athletes in Winter Olympics next month.
- Media Availability with Secretary Mattis en route to Vancouver, Canada DoD 15 Jan 2018 -- Presenter: Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- US Fighter Aircraft Arrive in Estonia to Take Part in Drills Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- Twelve F-16 fighting aircraft of the US State of Ohio Air National Guard arrived in Estonia on Sunday in order to take part in the multinational military exercise, the Estonian Defense Forces Headquarters said in a statement.
- Doha Denies UAE Charge That Qatari Fighters Intercepted Emirati Plane Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The United Arab Emirates on Monday said that a Qatari aircraft intercepted in international airspace a commercial liner that was heading to Bahrain.
- Tehran Reiterates 'Access to Military Sites is Not Part of Nuclear Deal' Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, has confirmed Tehran's adherence to the demands of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- IAEA access to military sites not part of JCPOA: Nuclear spokesman Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- The spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has stressed that his country will never permit the inspection of Iranian military sites.
- AEOI: Iran serious in pursuing implementation of nuclear propellers IRNA 15 Jan 2018 -- Spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Monday that Iran is seriously pursuing conduct of nuclear research and implementation of nuclear propellers in line with its predefined programs.
- UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace UK MOD 15 Jan 2018 -- RAF Typhoons have scrambled over the North Sea to intercept Russian Blackjack bombers
- 15 January 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 15 Jan 2018
- Yemeni snipers kill three Saudi troopers in retaliatory attacks Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Yemeni army soldiers, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have shot dead three Saudi soldiers in the kingdom’s southwestern border region of Jizan, in retaliation for the Riyadh regime’s military campaign against the crisis-hit country.
- Ankara Retaliates With Artillery Fire at Afrin After Kurdish YPG Missile Attacks Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- Turkey's President Erdogan vowed Sunday to "purge terrorism" from the country's southern borders, adding that he plans to launch an assault against Peoples' Protection Units (YPG) in Syria's Kurdish Afrin enclave "in the coming days."
- Total of 24 Armored Vehicles Reportedly Deployed by Turkey Along Syrian Border Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- Turkish armed forces have deployed over 20 armored vehicles along the Syrian border on Monday afternoon, local media reported.
- Turkey Threatens Military Action Against Syrian Kurds Allied With US VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is warning of an imminent attack on a U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish militia.
- Turkish army to nip US-backed 'terror army' in northern Syria: Erdogan Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned the United States over its support for the creation of a 30,000-strong “terror army” on the country’s southern borders with Syria, vowing to crush the force before it was even set up.
- Syria vows to end US presence; Russia, Turkey warn over 'border force' plan Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Damascus says it is determined to end US military presence after Washington declared plans to build a 30,000-member "border force" in the Arab country that Russia says could lead to Syria’s partition.
- Russia, Turkey Slam Plan For Kurdish-Led 'Terror Army' On Syrian Border RFE/RL 15 Jan 2018 -- Russia and Turkey have criticized the United States for helping an allied Kurdish-led militia set up a 30,000-strong border security force in Syria.
- Erdogan Vows to 'Strangle' Syrian Border Force Formed by US Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- Since the US confirmed training new force in northern Syria, tensions with Turkey have been running high, with Ankara accusing Washington of building a "terrorist army."
- US 'Playing With Fire' by Building 'Terrorist Army' in Syria - Turkish Deputy PM Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The plans of the US-led coalition to form new "Border Defense Force" have sparked angry reaction from Turkey as Ankara has repeatedly accused the US of arming some of Syrian Kurds, which the Turkish side regards as terrorist groups.
- Syria Considers US Plan on Creating Border Security Force 'Blatant Aggression' Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry has slammed Washington's intention to form a 30,000-strong force inside the country with the proclaimed goal of maintaining security along its borders.
- Russia May 'Undertake Measures' After US Decision on Border Force in Syria Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- Russia and its partners will undertake measures as a response to the US-led coalition's decision to create the so-called "Border Security Force" on the Syrian territory controlled by the Syrian Democratic Forces militia, Chairman of the Defense Committee of Russia’s State Duma Vladimir Shamanov told Sputnik on Sunday.
- Baghdad Suicide Attack Kills 16 or More, Wounds 65 – Interior Ministry Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The death toll of two explosions in the Iraqi capital Baghdad has risen to 26 people, reports Al Arabiya TV. Earlier it was reported that only six had died and that there were more than 20 victims.
- UN condemns twin suicide attacks in Baghdad UN News 15 Jan 2018 -- Strongly condemning two terrorist attacks in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has underscored the Organization’s support for the country in its fight against terrorism.
- Rapid Fire Trials Condemn Suspected IS Militants to Hang VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- In a small courthouse north of Mosul, Mohammad Dawd, 27, sits on the floor in the hall facing a wall, like other prisoners.
- Clashes close Libyan capital's main intl. airport , kill 10 Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Fierce clashes in the Libyan capital Tripoli have forced the closure of the city’s only functioning international airport as reports suggest at least 10 have been killed in the armed confrontation between rival militant groups.
- Militants Attack International Airport in Tripoli – Reports Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- All work at the Mitiga International Airport in Tripoli has been temporarily halted due to fighting between two rival militant groups, say local media.
- Libyan GNA Declares State of Emergency in Tripoli Over Clashes Near Airport Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The Presidential Council of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) declared a state of emergency in the country's capital of Tripoli on Monday over the deadly clashes at the Mitiga International Airport, according to the GNA's statement.
- Myanmar, Bangladesh hold talks on Rohingya repatriation Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Officials from Myanmar and Bangladesh have met to “settle issues” over the repatriation of Rohingya Muslim refugees, who have fled a state-sponsored crackdown campaign in Rakhine State.
- Indian Forces Kill 6 Militants, Foil Suicide Attack Bid Ahead of Republic Day Sputnik 15 Jan 2018 -- The incident is the first major infiltration success story of 2018 for India's security forces in Kashmir. Last year, Indian armed forces eliminated a total of 218 terrorists in Jammu & Kashmir - the highest figure since 2010.
- At Least 5 Dead After Paramilitary Convoy Ambushed in Pakistan VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- A paramilitary convoy has come under a rocket attack in Pakistan’s southwestern Baluchistan province, leaving at least five people dead and six others wounded, according to local officials and hospital sources.
- India, Pakistan Clash Again in Disputed Territory VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- India and Pakistan exchanged gunfire Monday in the disputed Kashmir region, killing several soldiers on both sides. Each side blamed the other starting the altercation, giving its own figures for the number of dead.
- Pakistani army says Indian fire kills 4 soldiers in Kashmir Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Pakistan says Indian forces have killed four of its troops in cross-border fire targeting the Islamabad-administered part of disputed Kashmir.
- Somalia's Shabab militants forcing civilians to hand over children: HRW Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Human Rights Watch has warned that the Somalia-based Takfiri terrorist group of al-Shabab is forcing civilians to hand over their young children for “indoctrination and military training.”
- Report: Al-Shabab Conscripting Children Young as 8 VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- A new report says Somalia's al-Shabab militants are forcing rural communities to hand over children as young as 8 years old for indoctrination and military training.
- Palestinian Central Council calls on PLO to end recognition of Israel Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- The Palestinian Central Council has called on Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) to suspend recognition of Israel in response to US President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem al-Quds as the Tel Aviv regime's capital.
- Spain to impose direct rule on Catalonia if Puigdemont tries to govern from Brussels Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- The Spanish government has threatened to re-impose direct rule on Catalonia if the former regional leader Carles Puigdemont tries to govern from exile in Brussels.
- Tunisia says over 900 arrested in anti-austerity protests Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Tunisian authorities have announced the apprehension of more than 900 people following demonstrations against austerity measures imposed by the government.
- EU: Serbia, Montenegro 'Could Join In 2025' RFE/RL 15 Jan 2018 -- Montenegro and Serbia should be ready for EU membership in 2025 and Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, and Macedonia should be well-advanced on their path to EU accession by then, according to a draft of the European Commission's Western Balkans strategy seen by RFE/RL.
- South Korea Engagement Strategy Requires Daunting Diplomacy VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- After negotiating what seems to be an Olympics truce with North Korea, South Korean President Moon Jae-in now has a chance to test his outreach strategy to achieve the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula through economic engagement.
- DPRK urges South Korean media to stop "messing up" inter-Korean talks People's Daily 15 Jan 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday urged some South Korean media to stop "messing up" the on-going inter-Korean talks, as the two sides are holding the second round of talks at the truce village of Panmunjom.
- North, South Korea delegations discuss Olympic Games in truce village Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- North and South Koreas have held a new round of talks aimed at hammering out the details of Pyongyang’s plan to send a group of art performers to the South for next month’s Winter Olympics.
- Tillerson to Join Foreign Ministers in Vancouver for North Korea Talks VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- Days after high-level talks between South and North Korea, U.S. Secretary State Rex Tillerson will join foreign ministers in Vancouver on Tuesday to discuss the latest diplomatic push to counter Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic missile threats.
- Lavrov: Russia trying to implement Iran deal IRNA 15 Jan 2018 -- Russia is trying to implement Iran nuclear deal completely, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Monday.
- Moscow will not back US attempt to change Iran nuclear deal: Lavrov Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has stressed that Moscow will not back US attempts to change the 2015 nuclear deal struck between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries.
- Lavrov: Trump Trying To Undermine Iran Deal RFE/RL 15 Jan 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has accused U.S. President Donald Trump of trying to undermine the nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, saying Trump’s statements could lead to the cancellation of the deal.
- Russia Does Not Support Trump Push to Alter Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Russia does not support U.S. President Donald Trump's calls to renegotiate the international agreement limiting Iran's nuclear program.
- Kazakh President To Meet Trump, Discuss Afghanistan, Russia RFE/RL 15 Jan 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump will meet with Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev on January 16 to discuss regional security, economic issues, and bilateral relations, the White House says.
- Anti-US Cleric Released on Bail in Pakistan VOA 15 Jan 2018 -- Pakistani authorities on Monday released anti-U.S. and pro-Taliban cleric Maulana Sufi Muhammad after eight years in prison. He was facing sedition charges and was allegedly involved in attacks on police stations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|