29 October 2017 Military News
- Taliban kill 22 Afghan police in separate attacks over weekend Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- The Taliban militants have killed at least 22 Afghan policemen in separate attacks on checkpoints over the weekend across various regions of the war-ravaged country.
- Taliban Kill 13 Afghan Police Officers in Kunduz Raid VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- A pre-dawn Taliban attack in northern Afghanistan has killed at least 13 government forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Flotilla of Russian Baltic Fleet Enters Mediterranean Sea Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- Two advanced Russian Navy corvettes are taking part in the country's Mediterranean mission.
- Russia's Western Military District Receives 2 Advanced Su-30SM Jets Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- According to the Ministry of Defense, the first flight of Su-30SM took place in September 2012, and subsequently the fighters showed themselves well during Syrian campaign.
- S Korea, China Aim to Ease Dispute Over THAAD Before Leaders Meeting - Reports Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- Beijing has been concerned with the deployment of the US-made Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) defense systems in South Korea, as Seoul has made the decision to install more systems on its territory.
- Iran has built, building and will build missiles: Rouhani ISNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Iranian President announced that the country has been building missiles and will continue to do so, because it does not contradict any of international laws or Resolution 2231.
- Iran Navy chief to US troops: Don't exceed your limits Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says arrogant powers will not dare to invade the Islamic Republic as long as the country enjoys a high deterrence power.
- US calls 'ridiculous', Iran to build missiles: Rouhani Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- President Hassan Rouhani has dismissed US calls to renegotiate a nuclear deal as "ridiculous" and pledged that Iran will continue to produce missiles for its defense.
- Tehran Will Produce Any Weapon Needed to Defend Iran - Rouhani Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- Amid the possibility of the US' unilateral withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, also known as JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Actions), and new anti-Tehran sanctions, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has outlined his position on the issue.
- F-16 equipment procurement in accordance with regulations: air force CNA 29 Oct 2017 -- The procurement of new electronic countermeasures (ECM) pods for Taiwan's fleet of F-16 fighter jets is being carried out in accordance with procurement regulations and legislative resolutions, Air Force Command Headquarters said in a statement Sunday.
- UK sacks 9 nuclear submarine personnel for drug abuse Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- The UK Royal Navy has discharged nine military personnel on board of a nuclear submarine after they tested positive for using drugs.
- Saudi FM Says Iran Major Obstacle to Peace Efforts in Yemen VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister says Iran's hostile policy is the major obstacle to solving the crisis in Yemen, where Riyadh is leading a military alliance against Iran-aligned Houthi militant forces.
- Food being used as 'weapon of war' in Yemen, says WFP Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- The World Food Programme (WFP) says food is being used as a "weapon of war" in Yemen at a time when millions of people face an impending famine in the conflict-ravaged impoverished Arab country.
- Syria says Raqqah still occupied, as US-backed forces replace Daesh terrorists Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Syria says it still considers the northern city of Raqqah "an occupied city," less than two weeks after US-backed Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) flushed out Daesh Takfiri terrorists from the city but they also kept government troops out of the liberating offensive.
- Syria tightens noose around Daesh in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Syrian Army forces have reportedly killed at least 50 Daesh terrorists in Dayr al-Zawr and confined the Takfiris to an area between the city and the Euphrates.
- Syrian Kurds Refuse to Reveal Number of US Bases, Volume of Supplied US Arms Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- In the wake of the recently-announced liberation of the Syrian city of Raqqa, many analysts have been wondering about the scale of US support to the mostly Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which headed the operation, and the number of military facilities the US has set up in northern Syria. Kurds, however, refused to reveal any details.
- Iraq to deploy soldiers to key Kurdistan border crossing Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Members of the Iraqi Federal Police force are going to be deployed to a key border crossing in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region after Iraqi government forces and Kurdish Peshmerga fighters reached an agreement in a bid to resolve a conflict about control of border crossings.
- Iraqi govt. forces, Kurdish Peshmerga fighters begin fresh talks Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi government forces and Kurdish Peshmerga fighters have launched a second round of negotiations in a bid to resolve a conflict about the control of border crossings in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region two days after the two sides reached an agreement to stop fighting.
- Somali police end long siege of hotel, say 23 dead Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Some 23 people have been confirmed dead in the latest high-profile attack targeting the Somali capital of Mogadishu as police declare the end of the long-night battle against militants who stormed a heavily-fortified hotel in the city and then launched a siege.
- Somalian Government Sacks Chiefs of Police, Intelligence After Mogadishu Blasts Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- Dozens of people were killed after two explosions and a shootout in a hotel in the Somalian capital of Mogadishu. The Al-Shabab terrorist group has allegedly taken responsibility for attacks.
- Somali Police, Intelligence Chiefs Fired After Deadly Hotel Siege VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- Minister of Information Abdirahman Omar Osman confirmed the dismissals of Commander of Somali Police General Abdihakim Dahir Saaid and Intelligence Chief Abdullahi Mohamed Ali Sanbalolshe.
- Trump denounces Russia investigation as 'witch hunt' Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- US President Donald Trump says the federal investigation led by special counsel Robert Mueller into alleged Russian interference in last year's US presidential election is "bad for the country" and a "Witch Hunt for evil politics."
- Washington Braces for First Charges in Probe of Russia Links to US Election VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- Washington is bracing for the first criminal charges linked to Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, even as President Donald Trump continued to claim Sunday the investigations are a "Witch Hunt for evil politics."
- Hundreds Of Thousands Rally In Barcelona In Favor Of Unity With Spain RFE/RL 29 Oct 2017 -- Hundreds of thousands of protesters are marching in Catalonia's capital, Barcelona, in a major demonstration in favor of Spain's unity.
- In Calm Before Storm, Madrid and Catalan Separatists Maneuver VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- An air of calm settled over Barcelona after hundreds of thousands of Catalans attended a rally Sunday for Spanish unity. The atmosphere of the rally was peaceful, as police helicopters monitored from above.
- Protesters storm Iraqi Kurdistan's parl. as Barzani resigns Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Angry demonstrators, some carrying clubs, have reportedly stormed the parliament of the Iraqi Kurdistan Region in the region's capital city of Erbil as the Kurdish lawmakers approved a request by president of the Kurdistan Regional Government, Massoud Barzani, to step down early next month.
- Iraqi Kurdistan Outgoing President Vows to Continue Fight for Kurds' Rights Sputnik 29 Oct 2017 -- Amid the grave consequences of a controversial independence referendum in the autonomous region of Kurdistan, its leader Masoud Barzani decided to step down from the presidency.
- Iraqi Kurds Storm Parliament After Leader Steps Down VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- Protesters in Irbil stormed the parliament building Sunday after Iraqi Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani announced he is stepping down as president of the self-ruled northern Kurdish region.
- IAEA welcomes deepening of cooperation with Iran IRNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Visiting director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano on Sunday welcomed broadening of cooperation with Iran.
- Iran to develop cooperation with IAEA: President IRNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Iranian President said that Islamic Republic is committed to development of long-term cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- IAEA Chief: Iran committed to nuclear deal IRNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Head of the international nuclear watchdog reiterated once again on Sunday that Iran has been fully committed to its obligations under the nuclear deal it signed with the major world powers in 2015.
- Iran FM, IAEA Chief urge all parties commitment to 2015 nuclear deal IRNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and visiting Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano on Sunday stressed the need for the compliance of all parties to the Iran Nuclear Deal.
- No 'special visit' allowed under section T of JCPOA: Iran official IRNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Iran's top nuclear official said on Sunday that Section T of Annex I of the July 2015 Iran nuclear deal does not include 'special visit' to the Iranian sites.
- Amano didn't ask for inspection of Iranian military sites: Salehi ISNA 29 Oct 2017 -- The Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano didn't ask for inspection of Iranian military sites, the head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said.
- We are committed to JCPOA until we benefit from it: Rouhani ISNA 29 Oct 2017 -- Iranian President emphasized the need to maintain the independence and impartiality of the IAEA, stating that the Agency was the only confirmatory authority to verify Iran's adherence to the JCPOA.
- Europe continues to support Iran, JCPOA: Austria Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- A senior Austrian Foreign Ministry official says European countries are opposed to any self-willed measure endangering the multilateral 2015 nuclear agreement, throwing his country's weight behind the deal.
- Iran resolved to boost lasting cooperation with IAEA: Rouhani Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has stressed the importance of maintaining the independence and impartiality of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), saying that Iran seeks to boost long-term cooperation with the agency.
- Amano: Iran implementing commitments under JCPOA Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano says Iran is living up to all its obligations under the 2015 nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- IAEA Chief Says Iran Implementing 'Nuclear-Related Commitments' RFE/RL 29 Oct 2017 -- The head of the United Nations atomic agency says Iran has implemented its "nuclear-related commitments" made under a landmark international agreement to limit the Islamic republic's nuclear program, as opposition from the United States threatens to undermine the accord.
- In Tehran, UN atomic chief says Iran implementing nuclear-related commitments UN News 29 Oct 2017 -- Visiting Iran, the head of the United Nations atomic energy agency on Sunday reiterated that the commitments undertaken by the country under the nuclear accord of 2015 are being implemented.
- US allows in Taiwan president despite China objections Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- The United States has allowed Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen to stop over in the US territory of Hawaii despite objections from China, which regards Taiwan as part of its territory and unqualified for state-to-state relations.
- Liberia: Ruling Party Challenges Election Results VOA 29 Oct 2017 -- Liberia's ruling party is challenging the results of the first round of presidential elections in which its candidate was the runner-up.
- Macedonians Vote In Second Round Of Local Elections RFE/RL 29 Oct 2017 -- Voters in Macedonia have gone to the polls for the second round of local elections.
- Military intervention in Qatar will cause regional chaos: Emir Press TV 29 Oct 2017 -- Qatari Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani has warned that any military action against the Persian Gulf country will plunge the region into chaos as a diplomatic standoff continues between Doha and a Saudi-led group of nations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|