22 October 2017 Military News
- Key US Senators Call for More Information on Niger Attack VOA 22 Oct 2017 -- Key U.S. senators called Sunday for the White House to be more forthcoming about the country's military involvement in Niger after four U.S. soldiers were killed in an ambush there earlier this month.
- CIA shifts its Afghanistan strategy amid open-ended campaign to tackle terrorism: Report Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- The US Central Intelligence Agency is reportedly expanding its covert operations in war-ravaged Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability With Secretary Mattis En Route to the Republic of the Philippines DoD 22 Oct 2017 -- Presenter: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
- Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group Visits South Korea NNS 22 Oct 2017 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group arrived in Busan for a port visit, Oct. 21.
- Dawn Blitz 2017 Brings Realistic, Relevant Training to Navy-Marine Corps Team NNS 22 Oct 2017 -- Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) 3 and 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) kicked off amphibious exercise Dawn Blitz 2017, Oct. 20.
- China's military deployments reflect its rising military might: expert CNA 22 Oct 2017 -- China's military activities in the Western Pacific and and its military deployments in the South China Sea are indicators of Beijing's efforts to strengthen its military power, said Taiwanese media pundit and military expert Qi Yue-yi (亓樂義) in an exclusive interview with CNA.
- Erdogan Ratifies Turkey-Azerbaijan Military Agreement Sputnik 22 Oct 2017 -- The military cooperation between Turkey and Azerbaijan prescribes strengthening of relations and holding joint drills.
- Beached: Germany's Entire Submarine Fleet Out of Action Sputnik 22 Oct 2017 -- The entire complement of Germany's high-tech submarine fleet is out of service, and, to hear the Berlin's defense minister tell it, it's not a good thing.
- US Forces Officially Complete THAAD Unit Setup in South Korea - Reports Sputnik 22 Oct 2017 -- The US has been deploying THAAD systems in South Korea since 2016 in response to the continuing missile and nuclear tests performed by the North.
- Remarks at the Saudi Arabia-Iraq Inaugural Coordination Council Meeting US Dept. of State 22 Oct 2017
- Remarks With Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir US Dept. of State 22 Oct 2017-
- Remarks With Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani US Dept. of State 22 Oct 2017
- Syrian Army retakes terrorist-held village in eastern country IRNA 22 Oct 2017 -- Syrian armed forces have liberated Khsham, a village in Deir ez-Zor in eastern Syria from Daesh terrorists, the Syrian Arab New Agency reported on Sunday.
- US-backed SDF militants capture key oil field in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- The US-backed alliance of militants, Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), says it has seized control of one of Syria's largest oil fields in the eastern Dayr al-Zawr Province.
- Syrian Democratic Forces Recapture Oil Field in Deir ez-Zor Province Sputnik 22 Oct 2017 -- The US-supported alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias continue to advance in Syria after Raqqa's liberation.
- Iraqi fighter jets kill 25 Daesh militants near Syria border Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- More than two dozen members of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed when Iraqi Air Force fighter jets bombarded their positions in the country's troubled western province of Anbar near the border with Syria.
- Iraqi MPs seek halt to transfer of arms for Peshmerga Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- Iraq's parliament has called for a halt to foreign transfer of arms to Peshmerga after reports that the Kurdish militants had used German weapons to attack government forces in Kirkuk.
- UN group says over 600,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled to Bangladesh Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- Over 600,000 Rohingya Muslim refugees have fled Myanmar for Bangladesh since violence against the persecuted minority erupted in Rakhine state in August, the United Nations say.
- Giza court gives death penalty to 11 suspected members of terror cell Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- A court in Egypt has handed down death sentences to 11 people and life terms to more than a dozen others who are suspected of creating a "terrorist organization" and attempting to murder two policemen some three years ago.
- Sisi says Egypt more determined in terror fight after attacks Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has declared that a recent attack on police forces outside Cairo has not dented his government's resolve in fighting terrorism.
- Seven dead in roadside explosion outside Somali capital Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- A powerful roadside bomb explosion has claimed the lives of at least seven people, mostly women, in an area outside the Somali capital, residents and the army say.
- Hamas: We will never sever ties with Iran as perquisite for talks with Israel Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has stressed that it will never sever ties with Iran as prerequisites for talks with the Tel Aviv regime.
- Former Boko Haram Hostages Stranded at Cameroon-Nigeria Border VOA 22 Oct 2017 -- Boko Haram's renewed campaign of suicide bombings in Far North Cameroon has bred suspicion that remains even as attacks have died down. Local communities are currently blocking 400 former Boko Haram hostages from returning home.
- Billionaire Babis becomes Czech's prime minister Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- The centrist party of Czech billionaire Andrej Babis has scored a victory in the country's parliamentary elections, winning almost 30 percent of the votes, amid allegations of fraud and a corruption scandal.
- Populist Babis's Party Scores Big Victory In Czech Parliament Elections RFE/RL 22 Oct 2017 -- Populist Andrej Babis's centrist ANO movement has won a decisive victory in the Czech Republic's parliamentary elections, paving the way for the billionaire to become the country's next prime minister.
- Polls Close In Kosovo Local Elections RFE/RL 22 Oct 2017 -- Kosovo has held an election to choose mayors and councilors in 38 municipalities, in another step in the young republic's effort to solidify its democratic credentials.
- Catalan Authorities Not Planning to Hold Regional Election Despite Madrid's Move Sputnik 22 Oct 2017 -- A spokesman for the Catalan government has commented on a possible election in the region, following Madrid's move to invoke Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution.
- Spain Makes Moves to Shut Down Catalan Independence VOA 22 Oct 2017 -- Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced Saturday he would dismiss Catalonia's separatist government and call for new elections in an attempt to prevent the semi-autonomous region from declaring its independence.
- Diplomatic skills boost China's global role People's Daily 22 Oct 2017 -- Developments in the past five years have seen the country move center stage in world affairs, as An Baijie reports.
- Xi aims to turn CPC into 'state party': John Burns CNA 22 Oct 2017 -- China President Xi Jinping's (習近平) goal for the Communist Party of China (CPC) is to turn it into a "state party," which, as it builds a Chinese model of development, requires meritocracy, a visiting expert on Chinese politics said in Taipei on Saturday.
- China to continue pressure on Taiwan after party congress: John Burns CNA 22 Oct 2017 -- Beijing will continue to pressure Taiwan after the Communist Party of China's (CPC) 19th Party Congress, a visiting expert on Chinese politics said in Taipei on Saturday, urging Taiwan to acknowledge the "1992 consensus" to maintain its "autonomy."
- Zarif: US closest allies standing against anti-nuclear deal policies IRNA 22 Oct 2017 -- Iran Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that policies of the US administration are isolated in the world, as its closes allied have been opposing against its anti-nuclear deal policies and its efforts to continue lack of commitment towards the landmark deal.
- IAEA not authorized to inspect Iran's military sites: Russia Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- A senior Russian diplomat has criticized certain countries' calls for the expansion of the International Atomic Energy Agency's inspections to include Iranian military sites, saying the IAEA has no authority to carry out such inspection.
- Europe's stance on JCPOA different from that of US: Iran official Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- A senior Iranian official says European countries oppose the United States' moves in violation of the 2015 nuclear agreement and pursue a different stance on the deal.
- Debate Sharpens in Washington on Nuclear Pact With Iran VOA 22 Oct 2017 -- Debate is intensifying in Washington on the merits and potential pitfalls, the risks and possible rewards, of the United States possibly pulling out of the international nuclear accord with Iran.
- Tillerson Promotes Closer Iraq-Saudi Ties VOA 22 Oct 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Sunday promoted improving ties between Saudi Arabia and Iraq as a way to counter Iran's growing military assertiveness in the region.
- PM Abe set to win by landslide in Japan snap elections Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- A coalition led by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is set to win by landslide in the country's snap parliamentary elections.
- Exit Polls: Japan Abe's Coalition Set to Win Snap Vote VOA 22 Oct 2017 -- Exit polls indicate Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's ruling coalition is on track for a comfortable victory in Sunday's general election.
- Russian Opposition Politician Navalny Addresses Astrakhan Rally After Release From Jail RFE/RL 22 Oct 2017 -- Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny addressed supporters in the southern city of Astrakhan hours after his release from a Moscow detention center following a 20-day term served for organizing unsanctioned protests against President Vladimir Putin.
- All procedures for US extradition of Gulen complete, Turkish justice minister says Press TV 22 Oct 2017 -- Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul says his country expects US officials to extradite Pennsylvania-based opposition cleric, Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having masterminded the failed July 2016 coup, stressing that all procedures have been completed in this regard.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|