21 August 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 21 Aug 2017[PDF]
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 21 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 35 strikes consisting of 114 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Media Availability with Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Brett McGurk, Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant DoD 21 Aug 2017 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Brett McGurk, Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
- Remarks by President Trump on the Strategy in Afghanistan and South Asia The White House 21 Aug 2017
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis on the South Asia Strategy DoD 21 Aug 2017
- President Unveils New Afghanistan, South Asia Strategy AFPS 21 Aug 2017 -- President Donald J. Trump tonight unveiled an expansive new strategy for South Asia aimed at bolstering American security.
- Trump: Americans 'Weary' of Longest US War VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- President Donald Trump said Monday in a national address that Americans have grown weary without a victory in the longest U.S. war as he laid out a path forward not only in Afghanistan but in South Asia as well.
- Taliban assault underway in Afghanistan's Jawzjan province Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Taliban militants have launched an attack in the northern Afghan province of Jawzjan, attempting to run over the district headquarters and setting off heavy fighting, the provincial police chief says.
- Trump To Set Out 'Path Foward' On Afghanistan RFE/RL 21 Aug 2017 -- The White House says U.S. President Donald Trump will deliver a major address to the nation on August 21 to explain "the path forward for America's engagement in Afghanistan and South Asia."
- 'Rigorous' Debate Led To New U.S. Strategy For Afghanistan, Mattis Says RFE/RL 21 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis confirmed that President Donald Trump has agreed with military leaders on a new strategy for Afghanistan after "rigorous" debate, but he declined to provide details.
- NATO-Led Mission Committed to Helping Afghan Military Grow - Commander Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- The NATO-led Resolute Support mission is determined to assist the Afghan military in order to enhance its capabilities.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability with Admiral John Richardson, U.S. Navy Chief of Naval Operations DoD 21 Aug 2017
- 10 Missing, 5 Injured After USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship AFPS 21 Aug 2017 -- Ten sailors are missing and five others were injured after the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore today, U.S. 7th Fleet officials said.
- Navy Operations Chief 'Devastated' Over McCain Collision AFPS 21 Aug 2017 -- The chief of Naval Operations says he is devastated and heartbroken over the collision of the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain, and has ordered a worldwide operational pause as fleet commanders assess practices.
- UPDATE: USS John S. McCain Collides with Merchant Ship NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) has arrived at Changi Naval Base following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.
- Statement from Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer on USS John S. McCain NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- The following is a statement released Aug. 21 by Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer on USS John S. McCain, which was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.
- Backgrounder: Collision accidents of U.S. warships in recent years People's Daily 21 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Singapore waters Monday morning, leaving five U.S. sailors injured and 10 others missing.
- Greek shipping company confirms collision of its tanker with U.S. destroyer off Singapore People's Daily 21 Aug 2017 -- Greek shipping company Stealth Maritime Corporation confirmed on Monday that one of its managed tanker vessels collided with a U.S. missile destroyer off Singapore.
- US Navy halts worldwide fleet operations after deadly collision Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- The US Navy has ordered a worldwide "operational pause" following the collision of the USS John S. McCain and a cargo vessel in the Pacific Ocean.
- 10 US Navy sailors missing after warship collision near Singapore Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Ten US Navy sailors are missing after an American warship collided with a merchant ship east of Singapore.
- US Navy Orders Operational Pause, Broad Probe Following Collision Near Singapore VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- The U.S. Navy has ordered an immediate, worldwide "operational pause" after a guided-missile destroyer collided with a merchant ship Monday east of Singapore, the second such collision in as many months.
- Exercise Enhances Cooperative Maritime Security Efforts AFPS 21 Aug 2017 -- The 16th annual Southeast Asia Cooperation and Training exercise, known as SEACAT, began today in Singapore, Brunei and the Philippines, focusing on shared regional maritime security challenges.
- Army Secretary focused on readiness and lethality Army News 21 Aug 2017 -- Two weeks after being sworn in as the Army's senior civilian leader, Acting Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy visited commands at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, Aug. 17.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with His Majesty King Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein DoD 21 Aug 2017
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Jordanian Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Lt. Gen. Mahmoud Freihat DoD 21 Aug 2017
- USS Porter Conducts Replenishment-at-Sea with Turkish Navy NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) received fuel and supplies during a replenishment-at-sea, Aug. 19, from Turkish replenishment oiler TCG YB. Kudret (A 595) in the Black Sea.
- USS Porter Enters Black Sea NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) entered the Black Sea, Aug. 18, to conduct maritime security operations and enhance capability and interoperability with allies and partners in the region.
- TR CSG, CVW-17 Ramp up Training at Midpoint of COMPTUEX NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TRCSG) and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 17 conducted surge flight operations Aug. 18 and 19 at the midpoint of its composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX), a milestone signifying the next step toward certification for deployment.
- America Departs Malaysia NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- The amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) with the embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) departed Malaysia after a scheduled port visit, Aug. 19.
- SEACAT enhances cooperative maritime security in South and Southeast Asia NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- The 16th annual Southeast Asia Cooperation and Training (SEACAT) exercise commenced Aug 21 in Singapore, Brunei, and the Philippines focusing on shared maritime security challenges of the region.
- Ocean Giant Returns to Norfolk, Completes Annual Resupply of Remote Arctic Air Base NNS 21 Aug 2017 -- Military Sealift Command chartered heavy lift ship MV Ocean Giant pulled into Naval Station Norfolk to complete its support of of Pacer Goose 2017, the annual resupply mission to Thule Air Base, Aug. 18.
- National Guard WMD Civil Support Teams Pursue Innovation AFPS 21 Aug 2017 -- National Guard weapons of mass destruction civil support teams respond to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear incidents throughout the homeland and advise and assist local and civil authorities on response measures.
- S Korea, US start joint military drills amid tensions with North Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- South Korea and the United States have started annual joint military exercises, ignoring strong warnings from Pyongyang, which has slammed the wargames as the "most explicit expression of hostility" against the North.
- Russia's Top General to Visit Ankara Amid Turkish US Tensions VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- Russia's armed forces chief staff, General Valery Gerasimov, is due to visit Turkey this week in the latest step in bilateral regional coordination efforts on Syria. Ahead of Gerasimov's visit, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusolgu took a swipe at NATO ally the United States, saying Russia better understood Turkey's concerns about the Syrian Kurdish rebel militia, the YPG.
- China urges US, Japan to play 'constructive role' in promoting peace Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- China has called on the United States and Japan to play a "constructive role" in promoting peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region, stressing that military cooperation between Tokyo and Washington must not harm any third party's interests.
- EU must work to cut reliance on US military support: Juncker Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker says the European Union cannot turn to the United States forever when it comes to its defense issues, urging the 28-nation bloc to cut its reliance on Washington's military support.
- India's Main Battle Tanks T-90, T-72 to Become More Lethal Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- India hopes to add a new dimension to the nation's defense capability by integrating the locally developed third generation missile system with Russia made T-90 and T-72 tanks which is the mainstay of Indian Army's offensive formations.
- Iran Leader appoints new Army commander IRNA 21 Aug 2017 -- Iran Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces on Monday appointed Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi as new Iranian army commander.
- Iran Army ready to counter enemy threats IRNA 21 Aug 2017 -- Iranian Army on Monday lauded defense industry advances and said that 'Army is ready to counter enemy threats.'
- Iran never to ignore any chance to maximize defense power: statement IRNA 21 Aug 2017 -- Iran's Ministry of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces issued a statement on Monday on the threshold of 'Defense Industry Day' underlining that the experts at the industry never ignore any chance to maximize their defense power.
- Former defense minister appointed as Leader's advisor IRNA 21 Aug 2017 -- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei in a decree on Sunday appointed former defense minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan as advisor to commander-in-chief in the field of defense industries and armed forces logistics.
- Ayatollah Khamenei appoints new military commanders Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has appointed a new commander for the Iranian Army and second-in-command for the Iranian Armed Forces' chief of staff.
- Iran to Continue Its Missile Program Despite International Pressure Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- Iran will not abandon its missile program and will continue activities related to the country's defense industry, Iran's new Defense Minister Brig. Gen. Amir Hatami said.
- Iranian Supreme Leader appoints General Dehghan as advisor in defense industries ISNA 21 Aug 2017 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution in a decree appointed former defense minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan as adviser to commander-in-chief in the field of defense industries and armed forces logistics.
- Iran's missile program will proceed according to approved plans: defense minister ISNA 21 Aug 2017 -- Iran's new defense minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami emphasized that Islamic Republic of Iran's missile program will proceed according to the approved plans.
- 21 August 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 21 Aug 2017
- Turkish Troops 'Neutralize' About 4,600 Daesh Militants in Syria, Iraq - PM Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- According to the Turkish prime minister, the country's forces has "neutralized" 4,600 Daesh terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- Lebanese Army Launches Counterterrorist Operation on Border With Syria Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- The Lebanese Army has launched the 'Fajr al-Joroud' (Dawn of the Outskirts) offensive to drive Daesh militants out of the Lebanese-Syrian border region.
- Lebanese Army Captures Senior Daesh Member During Offensive at Syrian Border Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- A military source said that Lebanese military intelligence units have detained a Daesh senior member.
- Hezbollah using combat drones against Daesh terrorists in Syria Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- The Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement says it has used weaponized unmanned aerial vehicles to strike the positions of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in the strategic and mountainous region of Qalamoun close to the border with Lebanon.
- Iraqi security forces retake 5 villages southwest of Tal Afar from Daesh Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Iraqi government forces have managed to seize back five villages near Tal Afar as they are battling the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in joint operations with allied fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units to push the terrorists out of the northern city.
- Iraqi Forces Kill Several Foreign Daesh Militants by Shelling Tal Afar Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- The press service of Iraq's Shia militia reported that several foreign militants of Daesh terrorist group were killed as the Iraqi army and supporting militias continues their offensive to retake Daesh-held Tal Afar.
- Liberation of Iraq's Tal Afar to Become Death Knell for Daesh – Shiite Militia Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- The liberation of the Iraqi city of Tal Afar from Daesh will clear the way to the Syrian border and will be the group's final and decisive military defeat, the commander of the northern front of the Iraqi Shiite People's Mobilization Forces (PMF or Hashd Shaabi) told Sputnik.
- Surrender or Die: Iraqi Jets Drop Leaflets in Daesh-Held Areas Amid Tal Afar Op Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- Iraqi Air Force planes have dropped leaflets containing calls to surrender over a number of settlements controlled by Daesh amid a new operation to retake the terrorist group's stronghold of Tal Afar.
- Thousands flee as Iraqi forces advance on ISIL-held Tal Afar - UN UN News 21 Aug 2017 -- The top United Nations humanitarian official in Iraq has warned against the consequences of displacement as thousands of civilians are expected to flee from Tal Afar and surrounding communities during the Iraqi military operation to retake these areas from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) terrorist group.
- India Expects China to Break Deadlock on Doklam Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to discuss the crisis with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the BRICS summit to be held in September in Xiamen, China.
- India Expedites Construction of Border Roads Amid Military Conflict With China Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- Indian Army had asked the defense ministry to expedite construction of roads along the border with China citing it as a crucial requirement for faster movement of troops and uninterrupted supplies of ammunition and other necessities.
- U.S. Envoy On Ukraine Conflict Meets With Russia's Surkov In Minsk RFE/RL 21 Aug 2017 -- The new U.S. special envoy for efforts to end the conflict in eastern Ukraine, Kurt Volker, has met with a Kremlin aide in the Belarusian capital, Minsk.
- 9 Filipinos killed in fresh Abu Sayyaf attack in southern Philippines Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Nine people have been killed and 16 others injured in an attack on their village in the southern Philippines.
- Militants kill Egyptian soldier, policeman in Sinai Peninsula Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- An Egyptian soldier and a policeman have been killed in separate attacks by suspected Takfiri militants in the turbulent north of the Sinai Peninsula, security officials say.
- 'No sign of positive evolution' in Burundi, says head of independent UN rights probe UN News 21 Aug 2017 -- Ahead of next month's presentation to the United Nations Human Rights Council, an independent panel today said that the human rights situation in Burundi has not improved.
- ICRC Chief Urges Renewed Dialogue to End War in South Sudan VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- The warring factions in South Sudan and the country's neighbors must leave no stone unturned in finding a political solution to the three-and-a-half-year civil war. That was the message of the president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, as he wrapped up his visit to South Sudan and neighboring Uganda.
- U.S. Institutes Visa Restrictions At Its Missions Across Russia, Blames Kremlin Order RFE/RL 21 Aug 2017 -- The U.S. Embassy in Moscow says that "all nonimmigrant visa operations" at U.S. missions across Russia will be suspended as of August 23 due to a Kremlin-imposed cap on staff at U.S. diplomatic facilities.
- US Halts Non-immigrant Visas from Russia VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- The United States will halt the issuing of all non-immigrant visas from Russia from Wednesday to September 1, according to the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.
- S Korean President Warns of Dangerous Fallout From Any US-N Korea Conflict Sputnik 21 Aug 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in believes that even a minor conflict between Washington and Pyongyang may threaten the lives of South Koreans and foreigners, including the US forces stationed on the Korean peninsula, a presidential spokesman said on Monday.
- DPRK says increasing coal production to fend off sanctions People's Daily 21 Aug 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said Monday that it is increasing coal production to fend off international sanctions.
- US must pay $245mn compensation to chemical victims of Iraq-Iran war: Judiciary ISNA 21 Aug 2017 -- The Iranian Judiciary has issued a ruling demanding the US government pay around $245 million compensation to a number of victims of chemical attacks carried out by Saddam Hussein's troops during the 1980 to 1988 imposed war on Iran.
- US must pay $245mn in damage to chemical victims of Iraq-Iran war: Judiciary Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- The Iranian Judiciary has issued a ruling demanding that the US government pay around 245 million dollars in damage to a number of victims of chemical attacks carried out by Saddam Hussein's troops during the 1980 to 1988 imposed war on Iran.
- Iraq rejects concessions to Kurds over referendum Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Iraq has roundly rejected a senior Kurdish official's suggestion to postpone a planned Sept. 25 referendum on independence in return for financial and political concessions from Baghdad, a London-based paper says.
- Serbia Recalls Entire Embassy Staff From Skopje, Citing 'Offensive Intelligence Activities' RFE/RL 21 Aug 2017 -- Serbia has abruptly recalled all staff from its embassy in Macedonia for consultations regarding "offensive intelligence activities" against Serbia, President Aleksandar Vucic has said.
- Spanish police confirm Barcelona attacker shot dead Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Spanish police say they have killed the driver of a van that rammed into a group of pedestrians in Barcelona last week and claimed 13 lives.
- Spanish Police Shoot Dead Suspected Barcelona Attack Driver VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- Police in Spain have shot dead a man they believe was the driver of Thursday's deadly van attack in Barcelona.
- Lebanon foils bomb attack on UAE passenger plane: Minister Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- Lebanon says its forces played a major role in the recent foiling of a bomb attack aboard a passenger plane bound for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from Australia.
- Kyrgyz PM Jeenbekov Resigns To Run For President RFE/RL 21 Aug 2017 -- Kyrgyz Prime Minister Sooronbai Jeenbekov has resigned in order to run for president.
- Angolan Voters See First Poll in Decades Without Longtime President VOA 21 Aug 2017 -- Angola is gearing up for a historic vote, as longtime President Jose Eduardo dos Santos prepares to step down after 38 years in power.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|