15 August 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 15 Aug 2017[PDF]
- OIR Officials Announce Latest Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 31 strikes consisting of 57 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 3 aid workers gunned down in Afghanistan's Ghor Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Authorities in the central Afghan province of Ghor have reported the killing of three aid workers, the latest to afflict providers of humanitarian assistance in the war-torn country.
- Taliban 'open letter' to Trump calls on US to leave Afghanistan Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- The Taliban militant group has released an "open letter" to US President Donald Trump, reiterating their demand for the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan after 16 years of war.
- Taliban's 'Open Letter' To Trump Urges U.S. To Leave Afghanistan RFE/RL 15 Aug 2017 -- The Taliban militant group has sent an "open letter" to U.S. President Donald Trump, calling for the United States to leave Afghanistan rather than increase the number of troops after 16 years of conflict.
- Taliban Calls on Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- The Taliban terrorist group (outlawed in Russia) has released an open letter to US President Donald Trump, in which the groups calls for a complete withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan, saying they provoke ongoing violence in the country, local media reported Tuesday.
- Taliban Flatters Trump, Urges US to Pull Troops from Afghanistan VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- The Taliban has called on U.S. President Donald Trump to pull out all forces from Afghanistan as a "responsible" leader of the United States and stop listening to "stooges" in Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Chinese Military Leaders Sign Agreement to Increase Communication AFPS 15 Aug 2017 -- The top military leaders of the United States and China signed an agreement here today that they said will improve communication between their militaries and reduce the chances of miscalculations.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, Minister of Defence of the Netherlands DoD 15 Aug 2017
- Press Topper by Secretary Mattis and Minister of Defence of the Netherlands Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert at the Pentagon DoD 15 Aug 2017 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, Minister of Defence of the Netherlands
- USS Rushmore to Begin Oceania Maritime Security Initiative NNS 15 Aug 2017 -- The Whidbey Island-class amphibious dock landing ship USS Rushmore (LSD 47), with embarked U.S. Coast Guard District 14 maritime law enforcement personnel, departed San Diego in support of Oceania Maritime Security Initiative (OMSI), Aug. 14.
- USS America Visits Singapore NNS 15 Aug 2017 -- Singapore Area Coordinator (SAC) welcomed Sailors and Marines from USS America (LHA-6) during a port visit to Singapore, Aug. 6 to Aug. 10.
- Army Special Forces: an inside look at the elite group's capabilities Army News 15 Aug 2017 -- When it comes to elite military teams, the Navy SEALs often come first to mind. For the Army, though, that's okay -- Special Forces Soldiers prefer to be under the radar as the Army's "quiet professionals."
- USS Oscar Austin Arrives in Theoule Sur Mer, France NNS 15 Aug 2017 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79), along with embarked Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 46, arrived in Theoule Sur Mer, France, Aug. 14, 2017, for a scheduled port visit.
- Putin: 2018 Defense Spending Cuts Won't Affect Army, Navy Refit Plans Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday that Russia's defense spending in 2018 will be reduced, though the plans to renovate the country's military will remain in place.
- IRGC drone patrols in Persian Gulf in ADIZ IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) drone patrols in Iran's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) will continue to safeguard the borders of the country without paying even the slightest attention to the psychological war of foreign forces, said a statement released by IRGC on Monday.
- Missile-launcher warship to join North Fleet IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said Separ missile-launcher warship would join North Fleet by the end of current Iranian calendar year (March 20, 2018)
- Next cabinet to prioritize defense diplomacy: President Rouhani IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Iran will further engage in 'defense diplomacy' with the region and the world in the new cabinet, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday.
- IRGC drone patrols in Persian Gulf to continue with precision ISNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has rejected US claims that a drone made an "unsafe approach" to an American aircraft carrier.
- Iran denies drone approaching U.S. aircraft carrier People's Daily 15 Aug 2017 -- Iran has denied a U.S. Navy report that an Iranian drone flew close to a U.S. aircraft carrier in international waters in the Persian Gulf, local media reported Tuesday.
- Tehran Slams US Claim on 'Dangerous' Flying Maneuvers by Iranian Drone in Gulf Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) refuted Tuesday the US statement about an Iranian drone's "dangerously" close encounter with a US aircraft carrier.
- Iran's Top General Makes Rare Visit to Ankara VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- In a rare visit, the head of Iran's armed forces is in Turkey. The two neighbors have found themselves increasing rivals in Iraq and Syria, but both sides are trying to find common ground.
- IDF Push to Modernize Includes More Training for Reserve Forces Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have announced that they will increase the annual training for reserve soldiers almost threefold to increase Israeli readiness for a sudden conflict.
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Libya commander Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued a warrant for the arrest of Mahmoud Mustafa Busayf al-Werfalli, a senior Libyan military commander, over the death of 33 people in the war-torn city of Benghazi.
- National defense system unaffected by power outage CNA 15 Aug 2017 -- The country's national defense system continued to operate normally despite a power outage that impacted large swathes of Taiwan on Tuesday afternoon, due to the existence of a back-up power supply system, according to Ministry of National Defense Spokesman Maj. Gen. Chen Chung-chi (陳中吉).
- Chinese aircraft enters Taiwan's ADIZ: MND CNA 15 Aug 2017 -- A Chinese military aircraft flew in Taiwan's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) at one point while on its way back to China after a far-sea training mission two days ago, a Ministry of National Defense (MND) official said Tuesday.
- China's military activities near Taiwan said to be war preparation CNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Recent frequent incidents in which Chinese military aircraft have flown close to Taiwan indicate that Beijing is preparing for a "partial, limited and non-nuclear war" in the Taiwan Strait, a retired Taiwanese vice admiral said Tuesday.
- Ukrainian PM Says Transfers of Missile Technology to North Korea 'Impossible' Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman denied on Tuesday reports suggesting a possible transfer of Ukraine's military technologies for ballistic missiles to North Korea.
- Ambassador Michael Kozak of the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor On the 2016 International Religious Freedom Annual Report US Dept. of State 15 Aug 2017
- Department Press Briefing - August 15, 2017 US Dept. of State 15 Aug 2017
- 15 August 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 15 Aug 2017
- Yemeni Army Reported to Have Destroyed Arms Depot in Southern Saudi Arabia Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- The Yemeni army has used artillery to destroy an ammunition and arms depot belonging to Saudi Arabian forces in the southern Saudi province of Najran, Iranian media reported Tuesday.
- Saudi crown prince 'wants out' of war on Yemen: Leaked emails Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Purported emails recently leaked show that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is seeking an exit from the war that Saudi Arabia has been waging against Yemen on his initiative, more than two years into a conflict the Riyadh regime has been unable to win.
- Lebanese army tightens noose around Daesh by advancing along Syrian border Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- The Lebanese army says its forces have advanced along the Syrian border, tightening the noose on the areas controlled by Daesh Takfiri militants.
- Syrian civilians evade Daesh conscription in eastern Dayr al-Zawr prov. Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Hundreds of residents of villages and towns in Syria's conflict-ridden eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr have decided not to comply with the conscription policies of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, and have escaped their areas as the extremists lose territory across the war-ravaged country.
- 50,000 stranded on Jordan-Syria border: UN Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations (UN) says roughly 50,000 Syrians are stranded on Syria's border with Jordan, expressing concern about their situation.
- Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - Source Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- A Syrian military aircraft has crashed in the country's southern Suwayda province, a Syrian military source told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Iraq launches operation to liberate Tal Afar from Daesh control Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Iraq has begun an operation to liberate the northern city of Tal Afar from Daesh terrorists weeks after driving the terror group out of its last urban stronghold in the country, the Defense Ministry says.
- Libya's General Haftar meets Russian ministers, demands military help Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Powerful Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar has met Russian foreign and defense ministers during a visit to Moscow.
- Turkish Police Arrest 34 PKK Suspects Across Country Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- 34 people were detained in three Turkey's provinces over suspicion of having links to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), according to local media.
- Russia arrests 'Ukrainian agent' in Crimea during act of sabotage Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) has detained an alleged Ukrainian agent who was planning acts of sabotage in the Black Sea Crimean Peninsula.
- Russia Claims Ukrainian Reconnaissance Officer Detained In Crimea RFE/RL 15 Aug 2017 -- Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) says it has detained a senior reconnaissance officer from a Ukrainian military unit and claims he was planning acts of sabotage in Crimea.
- Defected militant commander says al-Shabab not serving Islam Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- The one-time deputy leader and a senior commander of Somalia's al Shabab has called on for others to quit the Takfiri terrorist outfit following his defection to the government side in Mogadishu.
- Former Al-Shabab No. 2 Quits Militant Group VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- The former number-two leader of al-Shabab says he has quit the Somalia-based militant group.
- First of 33,000 Congolese refugees relocated to new settlement in Angola - UN agency UN News 15 Aug 2017 -- More than 1,500 Congolese refugees who have fled violence and ethnic tensions in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have been relocated from reception centres in northern Angola to a newly established settlement, the United Nations refugee agency today said.
- Report: Considerable Drop in Militancy in Pakistan's Restive Tribal Areas VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- Pakistan's northwestern tribal region, beleaguered for years by terrorism and lawlessness, has seen a decline in militant activities during the past few months as the result of government counterinsurgency operations, a recent security report says.
- Tillerson says US still interested in dialogue with N Korea Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says that Washington remains ready for talks after North Korea postponed a threat to fire missiles into the waters near Guam.
- China reiterates calls for restraint in Korean Peninsula standoff Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- China urges all sides to put out fire and maintain restraint on the Korean Peninsula as a war of words has increasingly ratcheted up between North Korea and the United States in recent weeks.
- North Korea delays Guam strike plan amid global calls for peace Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Amid global calls for calm, North Korea's leader has decided to halt a plan to launch missiles towards the US Pacific territory of Guam, warning, however, that his country will stay fire-ready while keeping a close eye on Washington's actions.
- US Satellites Allegedly Spot North Korean Missile Launchers Moving Into Position Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- US observation satellites have apparently spotted North Korean missiles being moved into position for what may be another launch – a move that may further escalate the already volatile situation in the region.
- Beijing Hopes Seoul, Pyongyang to Reduce Tensions on Korean Peninsula Sputnik 15 Aug 2017 -- China hopes that both North and South Korea will be able to make concerted and decisive efforts in the direction necessary to break the current deadlock, and allow for a return to peaceful dialogue and consultations, according to Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying.
- Signs of Diplomacy Appear as North Korea Delays Guam Missile Test VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un Tuesday appeared to postpone a plan to fire missiles toward Guam, a move that could help defuse the potential for imminent conflict, and give new momentum to reported behind the scenes efforts underway to find a peaceful resolution to the nuclear crisis on the Korean Peninsula.
- Pres Rouhani: Iran govt ready for talks on lifting all sanctions IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Nuclear deal with the world powers stabilized Iran's nuclear rights, said the Iranian President on Tuesday expressing Iran's readiness to 'hold talks on removal of all sanctions.'
- FM Zarif nullified US plot: Iranian president IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- In defense of his foreign ministry choice, President Hassan Rouhani said in Majlis on Tuesday Zarif neutralized the US conspiracy.
- JCPOA opens new chapter in foreign policy: Iran President IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- The July 2015 nuclear deal did prepare a 'new plan' for the interaction with the world, said the Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, adding that the international agreement unlocked new doors to the country's foreign policy.
- Iran can return to pre-JCPOA state if US slaps more sanctions: Rouhani Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has warned that Tehran can go back to conditions before conclusion of the 2015 nuclear deal with the P5+1 group within hours if the US continues to violate the terms of the agreement and impose new sanctions against the country.
- Rohani Says Iran Can Quit Nuclear Deal 'In Hours' If U.S. Continues 'Coercion' RFE/RL 15 Aug 2017 -- Iran could easily abandon its nuclear deal with world powers within hours if the United States continues with its policies of "sanctions and coercion," President Hassan Rohani said on August 15.
- Iran underlines dialogue between Baghdad, Erbil IRNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Iran's Envoy to Iraq Iraj Masjedi urged dialogue between Iraqi central government and the Kurdish autonomous region to resolve disputes between them.
- Saudi-Iraqi border crossing reopens after 27 years Press TV 15 Aug 2017 -- Saudi Arabia and Iraq have announced they would soon reopen a major border crossing for trade after some 27 years of closure.
- Former UN Ambassador Testifies At Yanukovych Treason Trial In Kyiv RFE/RL 15 Aug 2017 -- A retired senior Ukrainian diplomat has testified at the in-absentia treason trial of former President Viktor Yanukovych.
- UN rights chief urges Kenyan leaders to act responsibly, avoid further violence UN News 15 Aug 2017 -- Calling on the Kenyan authorities to avoid violence, the United Nations human rights chief today urged the Government to make an immediate announcement that it will cooperate and ensure accountability for reported abuse by security forces which has led to deaths and injures, including among children.
- Maduro Orders Venezuelan Military Drills VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro has ordered his army to conduct a "comprehensive" drill late this month in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's threat last week of a possible military action in the South American country.
- Oxfam: 700,000 at Risk of Starvation in Ethiopia VOA 15 Aug 2017 -- Food insecurity in the Somali region of Ethiopia has worsened, putting 700,000 people on the verge of starvation, according to Oxfam International.
- Security Council told African-led force on terrorism in the Sahel operational but challenged UN News 15 Aug 2017 -- The joint task force by the so-called Group of Five (G5) – Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger – to tackle the threat of terrorism in Africa's Sahel region is now operational, but a number of challenges remain, including funding, the United Nations Security Council was today told.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|