12 August 2017 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 12 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 34 strikes consisting of 42 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 13 civilians killed by mortars in Afghanistan's Faryab province: Report Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- At least 13 people, including women and children, have been killed when a pair of mortar blasts ripped through their house in Afghanistan's northern province of Faryab, a local official says.
- Plan to Privatize US War in Afghanistan Gets Icy Reception VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- Blackwater founder Erik Prince's controversial proposal to privatize a large portion of the U.S. war in Afghanistan is being met with growing opposition in Kabul and Washington.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Marine Commandant Orders Operational Reset for Aviation Units USMC News 12 Aug 2017 -- This operational reset will occur within the next two weeks and will be taken at the discretion of commanders, based on their unit's operational commitments, to focus on the fundamentals of safe flight operations, standardization, and combat readiness.
- US Air Force F-18 fighter jet crash lands at Bahrain airport Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- A twin-engine supersonic and multirole McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet combat jet has crash landed at Bahrain International Airport, disrupting flights to and from the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom.
- US Fighter Jet Crashes in Bahrain Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- A US F-18 fighter jet experiencing an engine malfunction made a crash landing Saturday at Bahrain International Airport, briefly interfering with commercial flight schedules. The pilot, who ejected from the aircraft after it ran off the runway, escaped unharmed.
- US missile systems not accurately tested against real threats: Report Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Defense expert have warned that the multi-billion-dollar US missile systems may not be capable of defending the country against possible missile attacks, as the war of words is escalating between Washington and Pyongyang.
- Russian Females Get a Chance of Their Lives to Become Military Pilots Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- For the first time in its history, Russia's aviation school in Krasnodar will enroll female students to train them as military pilots, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu told journalists.
- Next-Generation Russian Air Force Aircraft to Be Unmanned Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- The aviation technologies such as planes and helicopters for the Russian Aerospace Forces will be unmanned in the future, Aerospace Forces Commander Col. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said Saturday.
- Russian Anti-Submarine Destroyer Vice-Admiral Kulakov Enters Mediterranean Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- A spokesman of the Russian Northern Fleet said that Russia's Vice-Admiral Kulakov anti-submarine destroyer has entered the Mediterranean Sea.
- S Korea Launches Expertise on US THAAD Deployment Environmental Impact Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- South Korea on Saturday began a formal environmental survey on US THAAD system's deployment, local media reported, citing officials.
- Japan deploys missile system after N Korea threat to hit Guam: Report Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Tokyo has reportedly begun deploying Patriot missile systems after North Korea threatened to target the US Pacific territory of Guam with ballistic missiles traveling over the Japanese skies.
- Chinese military aircraft again fly near eastern Taiwan CNA 12 Aug 2017 -- Several Chinese military aircraft flew east of Taiwan Saturday morning as part of its long-distance training program, the latest in a series of Chinese military activities close to Taiwan, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.
- 'We Must Be Strong Enough': Serbia Mulling Russia's S-300 System Purchase Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- Belgrade is mulling the purchase of Russia's S-300 surface-to-air missile systems, but it is premature for any specific detail to be shared, Serbian Defense Minister Aleksandar Vulin told Sputnik on Saturday.
- Serbia Expects Delivery of Russian T-72s Tanks, Armored Vehicles in 2018 Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- Serbian Defense Minister Aleksandar Vulin told Sputnik on Saturday he expects Russia's military aid package to Serbia consisting, in particular, of 30 T-72s tanks and 30 BRDM-2 armored reconnaissance vehicles, to be delivered next year with no specific deadline fixed.
- All people are rising up to retaliate against the US: North Korea Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Pyongyang has claimed that at least 3.5 million people have joined the North Korean army to defend the country in the case of a war with the US.
- Beijing slams US intrusion near Nanshas People's Daily 12 Aug 2017 -- Beijing slammed Washington for sending a warship to waters adjacent to one of its islands in the South China Sea, saying the action will only prompt Beijing to strengthen its defense.
- South China Sea Tensions Escalate, Risk 'Involving More and More Countries' Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- China accused the United States of breaching its sovereignty and international law norms after an American warship came close to the Spratly archipelago in the South China Sea. Beijing claims the islands to be part of its territory.
- Yemeni naval forces, allies sink vessel of Saudi-led coalition off Mukha: Report Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Yemeni naval forces, backed by fighters from Popular Committees, have reportedly targeted and destroyed a military vessel in a missile attack off the coast of the country's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Four UAE Servicemen Killed in Helicopter Crash in Yemen - Military Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- A total of four UAE servicemen of the Saudi-led Arab coalition were killed as a result of the Friday helicopter crash in Yemen, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) military said Saturday.
- Yemeni army makes great victories north west of Taiz SPA 12 Aug 2017 -- The Yemeni army, fighting Houthi militias who control capital Sanaa as well as some parts of the country, have made great victories north west of Taiz, it was reported here today.
- Syria liberates last Daesh stronghold in Homs Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- The Syrian army and its allied forces have flushed out Takfiri Daesh terrorists from their last stronghold in Syria's sprawling central province of Homs.
- Kurdish-led SDF Unite 2 Fronts in Raqqa Destroying Link Between Daesh Positions Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- Mustafa Balli a media relations representative of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), spoke to Sputnik Turkey in an interview about the latest developments in Raqqa.
- Syrian Army Secures Largest Daesh Hotbed in Homs Province - Source Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- Syrian armed forces managed to secure the largest Daesh hotbed in Homs and the last significant citadel of terrorists on the way to the besieged city of Deir ez-Zor, a local source told Sputnik on Saturday.
- US-backed Syrian Rebels Seek to Reposition for Deir ez-Zor Battle VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- In a race with the Russia-backed Syrian government forces and Shiite militia groups to capture the eastern city of Deir ez-Zor from Islamic State militants, a Syrian rebel group supported by the U.S. claims it is in talks with the U.S.-led coalition to relocate its fighters to northern Syria.
- South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- South Sudan's rebels say they have retaken control of their stronghold town of Pagak near the border with Ethiopia from government forces.
- South Sudan Rebels Fight Back After Losing Headquarters VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- Fighting flared this week in South Sudan's northeastern Upper Nile state despite government forces' capture of a key rebel headquarters.
- Myanmar govt. imposes fresh curfews in Muslims-majority state Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Myanmar has reportedly declared new curfews in northern Rakhine state, where over a million of Rohingya Muslims live, as it has deployed hundreds of troops in the restive region to beef up its military presence.
- UN: Displaced in Ukraine's Rebel-held East Lack Basic Services, Benefits VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is appealing to the government of Ukraine in Kyiv and Russian-backed authorities in eastern Ukraine to provide basic services and pension benefits to hundreds of thousands of internally displaced people struggling to survive in the rebel-held parts of Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- Trump declares opioid epidemic 'national emergency' Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has declared the country's opioid drugs epidemic a "national emergency," a designation that would offer states more federal resources and power to combat the crisis.
- Trump says 'military option' possible in Venezuela People's Daily 12 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he would not rule out a "military option" in Venezuela.
- Venezuela slams Trump's military threat as 'act of craziness' Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Venezuela's defense minister has denounced US President Donald Trump's "crazy" threat of military action amid escalating bilateral tensions over what Caracas views as Washington's meddling in the Latin American country's political crisis.
- Venezuelan Security Forces Capture Masterminds of Caracas Military Base Attack Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- Venezuela's Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino announced Friday the capture of two men suspected of playing a key role in an attack on a military base in Caracas last weekend.
- Venezuela Labels Trump's Military Option Remark as 'Reckless' VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- The Venezuelan government on Saturday fired back at what it called a "reckless threat" by U.S. President Donald Trump, who included a military option as a possible action during his remarks about that nation's current turmoil.
- Xi urges restraint over DPRK tensions in phone talk with Trump People's Daily 12 Aug 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart Donald Trump on Saturday discussed bilateral ties and the situation on the Korean Peninsula on phone.
- Chinese leader urges Trump for restraint on N Korean nuclear issue Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping have discussed escalated tensions regarding North Korea.
- Xi Urges Trump To Avoid Escalation In North Korea Rhetoric RFE/RL 12 Aug 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping urged U.S. President Donald Trump during a phone call to avoid "words and deeds" that would "exacerbate" the already tense situation on the Korean Peninsula, state television reported on August 12.
- Trump, Chinese President Discuss 'Dangerous' North Korea Situation VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated their mutual commitment to denuclearize the Korean peninsula during a telephone conversation Friday, the White House said in a statement.
- Iran Majlis bill to ward off US, boost defenses IRNA 12 Aug 2017 -- While the bill aimed at confronting 'terrorist and adventurous activities' of the US has been discussed and passed in Iran's Parliament National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, it is expected to be presented in the open session soon.
- Major blast kills 15 in capital of Pakistan's Balochistan province Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- At least 15 people have been killed in a major explosion in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province.
- Congratulating Kenyan people on peaceful elections, UN chief stresses dialogue to ease tensions UN News 12 Aug 2017 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres congratulated today the people of Kenya for their peaceful participation in the presidential elections, and, stresses the importance of dialogue to defuse tensions, called on the political leaders to send clear messages to their supporters urging them to refrain from violence in the wake of the polls.
- Kenyan Government Says Country Is Safe; Opposition Urges Calm VOA 12 Aug 2017 -- After a long campaign season, most Kenyans are returning to "normal" life following the announcement made Friday night that President Uhuru Kenyatta had been re-elected to a second term. He defeated longtime opposition candidate Raila Odinga.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|