06 August 2017 Military News
- Military Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 32 strikes consisting of 39 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan authorities seize truck with 16 tons of explosives in Kabul Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Afghan intelligence authorities have seized a truck in the capital Kabul carrying more than 16 tons of explosives hidden in boxes marked as poultry feed.
- Taliban seize key area in north Afghanistan: Local official Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- The Taliban militants have taken control of a key area in northern Afghanistan after heavy clashes that claimed the lives of at least seven security forces, a provincial official says.
- Local Afghan Officials Say Taliban, IS Teamed Up In Deadly Village Attack RFE/RL 06 Aug 2017 -- Local officials say attacks that killed dozens of people in the northern Afghan province of Sari Pul were carried out by Taliban fighters who teamed up with a commander claiming allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) militant group.
- Islamic State Seeks Foothold in Eastern Afghan Provinces VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- Militants from the so-called Islamic State group are losing their stronghold in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province, but the terror group is trying to expand to adjacent regions of the country, according to an Afghan lawmaker.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ellsworth Airmen take on Pacific bomber mission as Dyess completes milestone deployment AFNS 06 Aug 2017 -- Six B-1B Lancers and 350 Airmen with the 37th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, 28th Bomb Wing from Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, deployed to Andersen AFB, at the end of July in support of U.S. Pacific Command's Continuous Bomber Presence mission.
- 3 US Marines missing after aircraft crashes off Australia SPA 06 Aug 2017 -- Search and rescue operations were underway for three U.S. Marines who were missing after their Osprey aircraft crashed into the sea off the east coast of Australia on Saturday while trying to land, according to AP.
- US Navy Calls Off Search for 3 US Marines Missing in Australian Crash Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- US Navy officials have called off the search for missing crewmen who were aboard a Navy Osprey tiltrotor aircraft that crashed into the sea off the eastern coast of Australia on Saturday.
- Cameroon Arrests Those Wearing Military Uniforms Illegally VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- Authorities in Cameroon are arresting people who they say illegally wear military uniforms in order to deceive the population and commit atrocities. There have been tensions between armed groups in neighboring Central African Republic, with a spill over into Cameroon, and Cameroon thinks rebel fighters are using the uniforms as a disguise.
- Chinese naval fleet visits Latvia People's Daily 06 Aug 2017 -- A Chinese naval fleet called on the Freeport of Riga in Latvia on Saturday morning to start a three-day visit to the country.
- China's first peacekeeping helicopter unit arrives in Darfur People's Daily 06 Aug 2017 -- Two copters of the China's first peacekeeping helicopter unit air transport advance team arrived safely at the EI Fasher Airport of the Darfur area in western Sudan.
- German party rejects US pressure on defense budget Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- One of Germany's two major political parties has rejected pressure by the United States to increase the European powerhouse's defense spending in line with membership rules in the NATO military alliance.
- Iran moves in Persian Gulf within int'l laws: Military official IRNA 06 Aug 2017 -- The Islamic Republic vessels' moves in the Persian Gulf are quite professional and within the framework of international laws, says the senior spokesman of the Islamic Republic of Iran Armed Forces.
- Taiwan conducts air defense drill featuring GDF-006 anti-air guns CNA 06 Aug 2017 -- Troops from the Air Defense Artillery Command's 303rd battalion last Thursday conducted a drill simulating air-to-ground combat in the southern county of Pingtung to test their ability to handle aerial attacks during which a firing drill for the Oerlikon GDF-006 35mm anti-aircraft canon was conducted at night.
- On anniversary of Hiroshima atomic bombing, UN chief calls for intensified effort on nuclear disarmament UN News 06 Aug 2017 -- With the presence of some 15,000 nuclear weapons on earth, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today urged all States to intensify their efforts in the shared pursuit of a nuclear-weapons-free world.
- CSTO Rift Grows Between Moscow And Astana RFE/RL 06 Aug 2017 -- On June 22, Vladimir Shamanov, the head of the Russian State Duma's Committee on Defense, announced that Russian military officials were holding talks with their colleagues in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan about the potential deployment of Kazakh and Kyrgyz peacekeepers to Syria.
- Gritty Talks Ahead as China, ASEAN Agree to Avoid Mishaps in Disputed Sea VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- China and a group of 10 Southeast Asian nations face tough negotiations on a code of conduct for avoiding mishaps in the contested South China Sea despite the endorsement of a framework for talks.
- ASEAN foreign ministers endorse framework of COC in South China Sea People's Daily 06 Aug 2017 -- The foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) endorsed on Saturday the framework of the Code of Conduct (COC) in the South China Sea for eventual adoption at the ASEAN-China meeting on Sunday, a government spokesman said.
- UN condemns Saudi disregard for civilian lives in Yemen Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations has strongly condemned the latest Saudi airstrikes against Yemen in which at least 12 civilians, including children, lost their lives, stressing that the aerial attacks are an example of the "brutality" of the Yemeni conflict and "disregard" for civilians' safety.
- New operations on Syrian soil imminent: Erdogan Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned of upcoming operations on Syrian soil after the country bolsters its military presence on the border with its war-torn neighbor.
- Syrian troops advance on Dayr al-Zawr after retaking city in Homs Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Syrian government forces have made "significant progress" in their latest push against Daesh terrorists in the northern city of Raqqah and are advancing eastwards to the mostly militant-held Dayr al-Zawr Province, a monitoring group says.
- U.S. Envoy Says 2,000 IS Fighters Battling For Survival In Syrian Stronghold Of Raqqa RFE/RL 06 Aug 2017 -- A senior U.S. official says about 2,000 Islamic State (IS) militants are battling for survival in the Syrian city of Raqqa, the extremists' last stronghold in the north of the country.
- Syrian Army Surrounds Largest Daesh Hotbed in Homs - Source Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- The Syrian army supported by militia forces has surrounded the largest Daesh terrorist group's stronghold in the town of As Sukhnah located in the country's province of Homs, a local source told Sputnik on Sunday.
- Russian Military Releases Data on Syrian Ceasefire Violations Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- Russia's representatives in the Russian-Turkish commission on the Syrian truce have registered seven violations of the ceasefire regime during the past 24 hours, while Turkey informed about six cases, the Russian Defense Ministry said Thursday.
- Iraqi military aircraft kill 170 Daesh terrorists in Salahuddin Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Iraqi army choppers have killed at least 170 members of the Daesh terrorist group in a series of airstrikes launched in the country's northern Salahuddin province.
- UN mission to gradually return to Libya: New envoy Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- The United Nation (UN)'s mission to Libya has announced that it will "gradually" return to the conflict-ridden country after leaving its headquarters in the capital, Tripoli, amid unrest and political violence in 2014.
- German FDP Party Head Says May Need To Accept Crimea Annexation 'For Now' RFE/RL 06 Aug 2017 -- The head of Germany's Free Democratic Party (FDP) has said in an interview that Germany may need to accept the 2014 annexation of Ukraine's Crimea region as a "permanent provisional arrangement."
- US, Russian Envoys to Hold Talks on Ukraine Violence VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- Russia said Sunday that the U.S. is soon sending its envoy for negotiations over unrest in eastern Ukraine to Moscow for talks about the ongoing violence.
- India urged to take seriously China's position document, withdraw trespassing troops People's Daily 06 Aug 2017 -- India has been urged to take seriously China's position document on India's border troops' trespass, and to immediately and unconditionally withdraw the troops.
- Lebanese army seizes control of Daesh outpost in Ras Baalbek Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- The Lebanese army has established complete control over a position of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in the northern Beqaa Valley after government forces lobbed a barrage of artillery round at the posts of the militants.
- At least 12 people killed in shooting attack on Nigerian Catholic church Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- At least 12 people have been killed after a group of unidentified gunmen stormed a church in southeast Nigeria and went on a shooting spree.
- Nigerian Militants Call for Partition of Country Into Five Parts Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- A coalition of militant groups fighting in the delta of the Niger River against Nigerian authorities called for partition of the country into five new republics, local media reported Sunday.
- Changes at State Department Lead to Questions About Its Mission VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is defending his efforts to redesign the State Department, but the process has left many of its 36,000 employees in Washington and around the world feeling anxious about their mission.
- US Says Russian Election Interference Created 'Serious Mistrust' VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Monday that Russian interference in last year's presidential election created "serious mistrust," and that he and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov discussed "a lot of work" that has to be done regarding U.S.-Russia relations.
- Lavrov: We Feel U.S. Readiness To Continue Dialogue RFE/RL 06 Aug 2017 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on August 6 that he believed his American counterpart was ready to continue dialogue with Russia on complex issues despite bilateral tensions and the imposition of fresh U.S. sanctions against Moscow.
- Trump praises China, Russia for helping with North Korea sanctions Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has expressed his appreciation to Russia and China for voting in favor of the United Nations' new sanctions against North Korea, the White House says.
- After voting for sanctions, China tells North Korea to act 'smart' Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has urged North Korea to act "smart," following the imposition of harsh sanctions on Pyongyang by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), which includes North Korean ally Beijing.
- China: Situation 'critical' after new North Korea sanctions Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- China says the situation in the Korean Peninsula is now at a "critical juncture" after the UN Security Council on Saturday approved new US-drafted sanctions on North Korea.
- US preparing for 'preemptive war' against North Korea: McMaster Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- The United States is preparing for all options, including a "preemptive war," to stop North Korea's nuclear and missile programs, says White House National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster.
- Japan's Foreign Ministry Urges ASEAN to Increase Pressure on N Korea Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- Japan urges the ASEAN to the increase of pressure on North Korea amid its nuclear and weapons program, the deputy press secretary of the Japanese Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
- Escalation on Korean Peninsula Due to US Military Buildup Unacceptable - Lavrov Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson during their meeting on the sidelines of the ASEAN forum in Manila that the escalation of tensions resulting from the US military buildup in the Korean Peninsula is unacceptable.
- China Urges All Sides in N Korean Crisis to Act Responsively After Sanctions Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- The Chinese foreign minister called on all sides of the North Korean crisis to act responsively to avoid escalation.
- China Presses North Korea to Halt Missile and Nuclear Tests VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- China pressed North Korea on Sunday to halt its missile and nuclear tests, saying Pyongyang should not "provoke international society's goodwill."
- UN Security Council slaps new sanctions on DPRK over missile launch People's Daily 06 Aug 2017 -- China has urged the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to abide by UN Security Council resolutions after the council imposed new sanctions on the country over its recent missile launches.
- Europe seeking to continue with JCPOA: Mogherini IRNA 06 Aug 2017 -- In a meeting with President of the Strategic Council on Foreign Relations Kamaal Kharrazi in Tehran on Saturday, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini said that Europe intends to continue with the nuclear deal between Iran and the G5+1.
- Iranian Leader Praises Europe, Assails U.S. During Swearing-In Ceremony RFE/RL 06 Aug 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani hailed European officials' presence at his swearing-in ceremony, saying it showed the continent was determined to expand ties with Tehran.<
- Level of terrorist threat in France very high: Interior min. Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb says the level of the terrorist threat in the country is "very high" as over 270 French nationals who have fought alongside Daesh in Iraq and Syria have returned home.
- Pakistan Dismisses US Assertions Fighting Terrorism 'Selectively' VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- Pakistan has dismissed latest U.S. assertions it is "selectively" fighting terrorist groups or allowing insurgents to use Pakistani soil for plotting attacks against Afghanistan.
- Venezuela foils military action against Maduro Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Authorities in the ruling Socialist Party of Venezuela have announced that an anti-government military action has been suppressed near the central city of Valencia.
- Venezuela returns opposition leader to house arrest Press TV 06 Aug 2017 -- Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez has been returned to house arrest from a four-day detention amid efforts to restore calm to the country which is reeling from weeks of riots.
- Civilians Attacked Military Base in Venezuela, Not Terrorists - Defense Minister Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- The attack targeting the Paramacay military base in Venezuela was carried out by a group of civilians, the country's Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez said Sunday.
- 2 Die as Venezuelan Troops End Attack on Military Base VOA 06 Aug 2017 -- Venezuelan military leaders say they quickly put down an attack on a base in central Venezuela Sunday which President Nicolas Maduro called an act of terrorism by rebellious former soldiers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|