19 December 2016 Military News
- Coalition Targets ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Liberation of Libyan City Highlights Latest Counter-ISIL Efforts AFPS 19 Dec 2016 -- A campaign by the Government of National Accord in Libya has liberated the city of Sirte, where the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant had sought to establish a stronghold in North Africa, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said today.
- New York Army National Guard and Army Reserve depart to Middle East Army News 19 Dec 2016 -- The 1156th Engineer Company, New York Army National Guard, and the 678th Adjutant General Company, U.S. Army Reserve, departed the Silas. L. Copeland Arrival/Departure Airfield Control Group in the early hours of Dec. 1, enroute to missions in the Middle East.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Strikes Against al-Qaida leaders in Afghanistan DoD 19 Dec 2016 -- A precision airstrike carried out by the U.S. military on Oct. 23 near Kunar, Afghanistan, killed three senior al-Qaida leaders.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Return of U.S. Navy UUV DoD 19 Dec 2016 -- Today, the People's Liberation Army-Navy vessel 510 returned a U.S. Navy Ocean Glider Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV) to the United States, near the location where it had been unlawfully seized on Dec. 15.
- Op-Ed: Underwater drone just a sample of US military action against China People's Daily 19 Dec 2016 -- The U.S. unmanned navy vehicle in the South China Sea has quickly become the focus of international attention. President-elect Donald Trump participated in this public discussion through Twitter, first accusing China of stealing the unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV), and then saying that China can "keep it."
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 19 Dec 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Active duty, Guard, Reserve integrate during Checkered Flag 17-1 AFNS 19 Dec 2016 -- At Checkered Flag 17-1, legacy and fifth-generation fighter jet integration created aggressive and advanced training opportunities; but another integration happened just below the surface, which ensured multiple Air Force components received the same vital learning opportunities.
- Marines to get smart phones to call in fire support USMC News 19 Dec 2016 -- This fiscal year Marines will receive smart phones that make calling for fire support easier, quicker and more accurate.
- Naval Air Forces Lifts Operational Pause for Growler and Super Hornet Fleet NNS 19 Dec 2016 -- Naval Air Forces directed the Growler and Super Hornet squadrons to resume normal operations after an operational pause that was put into effect following a Growler ground mishap in Whidbey Island, Friday Dec. 16.
- USS Donald Cook Arrives in Gaeta NNS 19 Dec 2016 -- GAETA, Italy - The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) arrived in Gaeta, Italy for a scheduled port visit, Dec. 17, 2016.
- John C. Stennis Home for the Holidays NNS 19 Dec 2016 -- USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) Sailors returned home to Bremerton, Washington, Dec. 18, in time for the holidays.
- Bataan ARG Completes Amphibious Training Exercise NNS 19 Dec 2016 -- The Bataan Amphibious Readiness Group (ARG) completed its ARG/Marine Expeditionary Unit Exercise (ARG/MEUEX), December 19.
- USS George Washington: 25 Years Serving the Fleet NNS 19 Dec 2016 -- After nearly 25 years of serving the country, the aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) is preparing to take an extended, well deserved and much needed, 40-plus-month break for its Refueling Complex Overhaul (RCOH) maintenance period.
- Statement by the NATO Secretary General following a meeting of the NATO-Russia Council NATO 19 Dec 2016 -- I have just chaired a meeting of the NATO-Russia Council.
- U.S. NATO Envoy Warns Of Russian 'Malign Influence' Ahead Of Talks RFE/RL 19 Dec 2016 -- The U.S. ambassador to NATO says envoys from the alliance may raise the issue of what he called Moscow's "malign influence" on the internal affairs of NATO countries when they meet their Russian counterpart in Brussels on December 19.
- MND confirms minor air mishap involving 2 IDF fighter jets CNA 19 Dec 2016 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) confirmed to the media Monday that two of its indigenous defense fighter (IDF) jets experienced a minor mishap during a tactical training mission Aug. 19, but both planes were able to complete emergency landings at the Ching Chuan Kang air base in Taichung, central Taiwan following the incident.
- Air Force F-16 executes emergency landing at CCK airport CNA 19 Dec 2016 -- An F-16 fighter jet executed an emergency landing at Taichung Ching Chuan Kang (CCK) Airport following the malfunction of one of its two electric generators, an Air Force Command official confirmed on Monday.
- December 19, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 19 Dec 2016
- 19 December 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 19 Dec 2016
- UN Security Council Votes To Send Monitors To Aleppo RFE/RL 19 Dec 2016 -- The UN Security Council has unanimously approved a resolution calling for the immediate deployment of United Nations monitors to eastern Aleppo, with France saying it must be implemented to prevent "mass atrocities" by Syrian forces in areas formerly held by rebels.
- Evacuees Said To Leave East Aleppo As UN Set For Vote On Syria Observers RFE/RL 19 Dec 2016 -- Some 350 evacuees were able to leave the rebel-held pocket in eastern Aleppo in Syria late on December 18 despite an attack on buses set to deliver wounded and sick people from government-held villages, monitors and aid officials.
- Security Council approves UN monitors for Aleppo evacuations UN News 19 Dec 2016 -- Alarmed at the "devastating" humanitarian crisis in Aleppo, where perhaps thousands of civilians remain trapped, the Security Council today requested the United Nations and other relevant institutions to carry out "adequate, neutral monitoring and direct observation on evacuations from the eastern districts" of the war-battered city.
- Act now to halt South Sudan's 'trajectory towards mass atrocities,' Ban urges Security Council UN News 19 Dec 2016 -- Amid growing tensions and increasing despair among South Sudan's population, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today warned that the international community's failure to act now could put the country on a trajectory towards mass atrocities.
- UN-backed $547 million appeal launched for humanitarian needs in Occupied Palestinian Territory UN News 19 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations and the State of Palestine today jointly launched an appeal seeking $547 million in funding for 2017 to support the humanitarian needs in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
- DR Congo: Ban condemns killing of UN peacekeeper UN News 19 Dec 2016 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the killing of a peacekeeper from South Africa deployed with the United Nations Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) in North Kivu earlier today.
- Ban commends West African countries' firm decision to stand by Gambian President-elect UN News 19 Dec 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today commended decisions by a bloc of West African countries to take all necessary actions to enforce the outcome of the presidential election in Gambia, guarantee the protection of President-elect Adama Barrow, and attend the new leader's inauguration ceremony on 19 January 2017.
- Stop targeted repression and double standards, UN rights experts tell DR Congo authorities UN News 19 Dec 2016 -- Raising alarm over "double standards" applied by the authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) – allowing pro-government youths to conduct public political activities while repressing dissenting voices – a group of United Nations rights experts today called on the Government to end the "targeted repression" and to guarantee conditions that allow fundamental rights and freedoms to be exercised peacefully.
- Iran says will adopt decisive action against breach of JCPOA IRNA 19 Dec 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi on Monday said that the Iranian government will adopt decisive actions against the breach of Joint Comprehensive Plan Of Action (JCPOA) reached between Iran and the G5+1.
- Rouhani: Iran to start its nuclear propulsion system soon IRNA 19 Dec 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani said his recent order on starting the nuclear propulsion system is a great move towards enhancing peaceful nuclear activities in the country.
- Charter on Citizens' Rights announces by Iran's President ISNA 19 Dec 2016 -- In a decree, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced the issuing of citizenship rights charter.
- Iran's first Charter of Citizens' Rights released IRNA 19 Dec 2016 -- Iran's first Charter of Citizens' Rights was officially unveiled and released on Monday by President Hassan Rouhani.
- Rohani Officially Launches Iranian Citizens' Rights Charter RFE/RL 19 Dec 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has launched a Citizens' Rights Charter that represents one of his administration's most conspicuous efforts so far to fulfill campaign pledges he made in winning the presidency three years ago.
- IAEA Chief Says Iran Remains Committed to Nuclear Deal Sputnik 19 Dec 2016 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said Iran has shown commitment to its end of the nuclear deal struck last year while visiting Tehran December 18.
- EU Extends Sanctions Against Russia Through July 2017 RFE/RL 19 Dec 2016 -- The European Union has extended sanctions against Russia for its actions in Ukraine for another six months.
- EU Lauds Nationalization Of Ukraine's Largest Bank RFE/RL 19 Dec 2016 -- The European Union has praised Ukraine's leadership for its decision to nationalize the country's biggest bank, calling it a "bold and courageous" move and a key component of broader reforms that the West is pressing Kyiv to carry out.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|