15 December 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 15 Dec 2016 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Carter: Coalition Must Stay Focused on Counter-ISIL Campaign AFPS 15 Dec 2016 -- While the coalition is collapsing the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant's control over Mosul and Raqqa, it must stay focused on the continued execution of the campaign plan into 2017, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today in opening remarks at a meeting in London of defense ministers participating in the campaign to defeat ISIL.
- ISIL 'Failing,' Defense Leaders Say After London Meeting AFPS 15 Dec 2016 -- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is failing, and the campaign to defeat the terror group in Iraq and Syria is on track, Defense Secretary Ash Carter and U.K. Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said in London today.
- Beginning of the end for Daesh as Coalition opens second front UK MOD 15 Dec 2016 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has closed today's ministerial in London by reaffirming the UK and Coalition's resolve to defeat Daesh.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 15 Dec 2016-- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Dozens of Afghans Return Home After Being Deported From Germany VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- More than 30 Afghans returned home Thursday after their applications for asylum were rejected by Germany.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Joint Tactical Ground System sees first test in 20 years Army News 15 Dec 2016 -- Military operational testers recently conducted the first operational test of the Joint Tactical Ground Station (JTAGS) system in 20 years.
- Leghorn depot receives 3,000+ new vehicles Army News 15 Dec 2016 -- More than 3,000 brand new, mine-resistant, ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles arrived in the past months to the port of Livorno to be maintained and stored at Leghorn Army Depot.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's meeting with Turkish Minister of Defense Fikri Isik DoD 15 Dec 2016
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Carter and Secretary Fallon in London, England DoD 15 Dec 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter; U.K. Defence Secretary Michael Fallon
- USS Cole Deploys NNS 15 Dec 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Cole (DDG 67) departed Naval Station Norfolk this morning for a regularly-scheduled deployment to conduct maritime operations in the Navy's 5th and 6th Fleet areas of operation.
- USS Mustin (DDG 89) Arrives in Cam Ranh International Port NNS 15 Dec 2016 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Mustin (DDG 89) arrived in Cam Ranh International Port today for a routine technical stop that highlights the strong historic, community, and military connections between Vietnam and the United States.
- Department of the Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, Arizona Public Service and Marine Corps Air Station Yuma celebrate completion of base microgrid NNS 15 Dec 2016 -- The Department of the Navy (DON), U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) and Arizona Public Service (APS) announced the completion of a 25-megawatt (MW) microgrid built on Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Yuma.
- Intelligence department solves Marine Corps biggest problems USMC News 15 Dec 2016 -- Marines with Headquarters Marine Corps Intelligence department gave a live demonstration of new technologies Dec. 9, as part of the Marine Corps Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Enterprise Accelerator program.
- Statement of the North Atlantic Council on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea NATO 15 Dec 2016 -- "Today the North Atlantic Council has met to discuss the actions of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. We have invited our partners Australia, Japan, New Zealand and the Republic of Korea to join us in deliberating. Based on our consultations and our growing concern for the matter, the North Atlantic Council issues this statement."
- NATO concludes successful counter-piracy mission NATO 15 Dec 2016 -- NATO formally ended its operation Ocean Shield in the waters off the coast of Somalia on Thursday (15 December 2016), bringing the curtain down on one of NATO's most successful ever operations.
- Doorstep statement by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the European Council on Security and Defence NATO 15 Dec 2016
- US completes upgrading NATO base in Estonia Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- The US military has completed a $11.2 million project to upgrade an Estonian military base belonging to the North Atlantic treaty Organization (NATO), amid ongoing tensions between the US-led military alliance and Russia.
- US Demonstrates NATO Reliability Improving Tapa Base Infrastructure Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The United States proved that Estonia can rely on its NATO allies by contributing to the construction of the infrastructure facilities at the military base located in the Estonian city of Tapa, according to Deputy Commander of the Estonian Defense Forces Indrek Sirel.
- Montenegro Fails to Meet NATO Membership Criteria - Russian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- According to the Russian Foreign Ministry's European Cooperation Department head, Montenegro does not meet the criteria to become a NATO member.
- Russian Missile Forces Can Accomplish Any Tasks Due to Systems' Capabilities Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Russian Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) are capable of fulfilling any assigned objectives due to a wide range of its missiles systems' capabilities, as well as to their dispersed deployment across the country, SMF Commander Col. Gen. Sergey Karakayev said Thursday.
- Russia to Continue Developing Nuclear Forces in 2017 to Deter Aggression Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The development of Russia's Strategic Nuclear Forces (SNF) in 2017 will be maintained at a level that ensures a guaranteed deterrence of aggression, the chief of the Russian Armed Forces General Staff, First Deputy Defense Minister, Army General Valery Gerasimov said Thursday.
- Russia's Defense Spending Ensures Stable Security Situation - Prime Minister Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The security and defense situation in Russia is stable thanks to the state's defense spending, among other things, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Thursday.
- Nuclear Forces Guarantee Russia's Security - Strategic Missile Forces Commander Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Russia's Strategic Nuclear Forces are a guarantee of the country's security and independence of its policy amid the current geopolitical situation, Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) Commander Col. Gen. Sergey Karakayev said Thursday.
- Russia Will Respond if NATO Establishes Military Group in Black Sea Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Russia will give an adequate response to the strengthening of NATO's military infrastructure near its borders, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry's European Cooperation Department told Sputnik Thursday.
- Russia to Maintain Rearmament Rates for Strategic Missile Forces - Commander Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The SMF current fundations will make it possible to maintain rearmament rates, SMF Commander Col. Gen. Sergey Karakayev said Thursday.
- As Many as 99% of ICBMs of Russia's Strategic Missile Forces in Combat Readiness Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The are some 400 intercontinental ballistic missiles in the Russian Strategic Missile Forces, 99 percent of which are in the state of combat readiness, the commander of the Russian Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN) said Thursday.
- Sarmat ICBM Systems to Be Put Into Service in Russia in 2019-2020 Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Sarmat heavy intercontinental ballistic missile systems are expected to be put into service in the Russian Armed Forces in 2019-2020, the commander of the Russian Strategic Missile Forces said Thursday.
- Serbia Could Receive Six Russian MiG-29 Jets in March 2017 – Prime Minister Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Serbia may receive six Russian MiG-29 fighter jets in March of 2017, the country's Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said Thursday.
- Serbia Buys Russian Weapons to Respond to Potential Security Challenge Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Serbia is buying Russian weapons and military equipment in order to be capable of responding to security challenges and ensuring stability, Chief of the General Staff of the Serbian Armed Forces Ljubisa Dikovic told Sputnik.
- Chinese Navy holds live ammunition drill for aircraft carrier formation People's Daily 15 Dec 2016 -- The Chinese Navy recently conducted a drill for a large fleet of naval vessels and aircraft including aircraft carrier Liaoning in the Bohai Sea, according to military sources on Thursday.
- China's high sea military drills are routine: spokesperson People's Daily 15 Dec 2016 -- Recent drills conducted by the Chinese Air Force on the high seas are regular, routine military activities, an air force spokesperson said Thursday.
- Restricted India Tenders for AESA Radars for Home Grown Combat Jet Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Currently, Indian Air Force does not have any fighters that have new age AESA radar. However, Jaguar's DARIN III version are being equipped with AESA radar by Israel's ELTA.
- India Gears Up for Final Trial of Nuke Capable ICBM Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The first three versions of the Agni missile were basically developed keeping in view of Pakistan's nuclear capability. But Agni IV and Agni V missiles have much larger ranges to deter any threat from China.
- No Changes Expected in US Plans to Deploy Anti-Ballistic Missiles in South Korea Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The deployment of an anti-ballistic missile system by the United States in South Korea is expected to proceed despite the recent impeachment of South Korea's president, according to White House spokesperson Josh Earnest.
- Strategic Swedish Island Likely To Reject Russian Request For Harbor Space RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- Officials on the strategic Swedish island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea said they likely will turn down a Russian request to rent harbor space out of concern it could harm the country's security.
- December 15, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 15 Dec 2016
- 15 December 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 15 Dec 2016
- Beijing: We Are Reading Slingshot in South China Sea Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- China's buildup of military infrastructure in the Spratly islands, reported Wednesday by a US think tank citing satellite images, was later defended by officials in Beijing as a part of "necessary" defense measures.
- South China Sea Military Build Up Could Escalate US-China Tensions Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- A new report suggests that China has dedicated significant effort to militarizing outposts in the South China Sea, but the US remains ready to respond to further "aggressive" behavior.
- Yemeni forces pound Saudi positions with artillery shells Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- The Yemeni army and allied fighters from the Popular Committees have attacked two military bases inside Saudi Arabia, killing at least one Saudi soldier and injuring scores of others.
- Assad Hails 'Liberation of Aleppo' as Historic VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Thursday said that history would be made with what he referred to as the "liberation of Aleppo."
- President Assad congratulates nation on Aleppo liberation Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has offered felicitations to the Arab nation on the liberation of Aleppo city from foreign-backed militants amid an ongoing mission to take out the remaining armed men and civilians from the embattled northwestern city.
- Bomb blast leaves 4 people dead in Syria's Homs Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- A bomb explosion has rocked Syria's western city of Homs, killing four people and injuring others.
- Syrian govt. soldiers make gains in eastern Aleppo neighborhood Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Syrian troops have made fresh advances in an eastern neighborhood of Aleppo as part of their offensive to drive out the last remnants of foreign-backed militants from the city.
- UN: Militants using civilians as human shield in Aleppo Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- The UN's Commission of Inquiry for Syria (COI) says it has received reports that militants in Syria's Aleppo are preventing civilians from leaving the city and are using them as human shields.
- Erdogan Says 1,150 Evacuated From Rebel-Held Aleppo So Far RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- An operation to evacuate a rebel-held neighborhood in the Syrian city of Aleppo began on December 15 under a truce deal brokered by Turkey and Russia.
- Negotiations in Geneva 'Only Way' to End War in Syria - Kerry Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian conflict can be resolved only through serious negotiations of all parties in Geneva, according to US Secretary of State John Kerry.
- Erdogan: Over 1,100 Civilians Leave Eastern Aleppo on First Day of Evacuation Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- More than 1,100 civilians have been evacuated from Syria's Aleppo, according to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Reservists to Join Army for Protection of Safe Areas in Syria Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- A number of reservists will join the Syrian army to protect the safe areas without participating in fights, a source familiar with the matter told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Syrian Army, Russian Jets Stop Further Terrorists' Advance in Palmyra Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Russian General Staff said that the Syrian army supported by Russian warplanes stopped further terrorists' advance in Palmyra.
- Remarks on Syria US Dept. of State 15 Dec 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- UN invited to monitor and assist fresh evacuation efforts under way in war–ravaged Aleppo UN News 15 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations was today invited to monitor and assist in the renewed effort to evacuate thousands of sick and wounded civilians and opposition fighters from the remaining rebel-held districts of Syria's war-ravaged city of Aleppo, a senior UN humanitarian envoy announced today.
- Iraqi forces flush out terrorists in Tal Afar in bid to liberate Mosul Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Iraqi military forces have flushed out foreign-backed Daesh terrorists from 10 villages west of the city of Tal Afar in Nineveh Province, as part of a major operation to liberate the key city of Mosul.
- Iraqi Air Force Kills 70 Daesh Members Including 20 Commanders Near Mosul Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Iraqi Air Force attacked Daesh terrorists to the west of Mosul, killing 20 commanders and some 50 members of the terrorist group, who were ensuring the security of the group's leadership, Iraqi Defense Ministry said Thursday.
- Irate Iraqis Recall Horrors of IS Prisons VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- Islamic State "would kill us without dignity," says Raith Ahmed, an English teacher and a father of two. "That means throwing out bodies to the dogs."
- Tokyo Expects Detailed Discussions on Peace Treaty During Putin's Visit Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Japanese authorities expect to hold a detailed discussion with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the issue of a peace treaty and the future of bilateral relations, Japan's Foreign Ministry Press Secretary Yasuhisa Kawamura told Sputnik Thursday.
- Putin, Abe Agree to Restore Frozen Military Contacts - Lavrov Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe have agreed to restore frozen military contacts, as well as contacts in the 2+2 format, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- No Breakthrough Apparent On Island Dispute As Putin, Abe Meet In Japan RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe have discussed possible joint economic projects on an island chain both countries claim, but no breakthrough was reported in the territorial dispute that has poisoned ties since World War II.
- Russia leader in Japan to discuss ties, peace deal on islands row Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is on an official visit to Japan to discuss bilateral issues, including a territorial dispute between the two countries which has lingered on since the end of World War II.
- Five FARC Commanders Expelled From Guerrilla Group For Undermining Peace Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Five commanders of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia - People's Army (FARC) were expelled from the group after refusing to adhere to the peace agreement with the Colombian government, the guerrilla group said in a statement.
- Colombia gives free pardon to 110 FARC rebels Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- The Colombian government has pardoned 110 members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) group as part of a landmark deal between Bogota and the rebel group.
- Kiev agrees to release 15 imprisoned pro-Russia forces Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- The Ukrainian government has agreed to release over two dozen prisoners it captured during the fighting in the country's east in an effort to set the stage for prisoner swap with the pro-Russia forces active in the restive region.
- Explosion kills six near army checkpoint in Somali capital Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- A bomb has exploded near an army checkpoint in the Somali capital of Mogadishu, killing at least six people, mostly soldiers, local officials say.
- UN Force in S. Sudan Ramps Up Security at Civilian Protection Sites VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- The streets outside the U.N. protection of civilians (POC) site in Juba are quiet on this December day, and the Ethiopian peacekeepers guarding the site want to keep it that way.
- White House Suggests Putin Authorized Cyberattacks to Impact US Presidential Election VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- The White House pointedly suggested Thursday that Russian President Vladimir Putin personally authorized cyberattacks to impact the U.S. presidential election even as President-elect Donald Trump complained about attempts to undermine his victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton.
- Trump knew about Russia hacks: White House Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump knew well before the November 8 presidential election that Russia was behind hacking attacks against some Democratic organizations, according to the White House.
- Putin 'personally involved' in US election hack, NBC News claims Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- President Vladimir Putin was "personally involved" in a covert Russian effort to intervene in the 2016 US presidential election, NBC News has claimed, citing two unnamed American intelligence officials.
- Russia Dismisses Report Putin Was Involved In U.S. Election Meddling RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- Russian officials have dismissed an NBC News report that said U.S. intelligence officials believe with a "high level of confidence" that President Vladimir Putin was personally involved in Russian efforts to interfere in the U.S. Presidential election.
- U.S. Republican Senator Graham Says Russia Hacked His Campaign RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- A senior U.S. Republican senator took issue with President-elect Donald Trump on Russian interference in the U.S. elections and disclosed that Moscow had hacked his campaign.
- Attempts to Claim Putin Personally Involved in US Elections Foolish - Lavrov Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Journalists' attempts to claim that Russian President Vladimir Putin personally interfered in the US presidential election are "foolish and pointless," Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Thursday when asked to comment respective NBC channel statement
- Reports Claiming Putin Interfered in US Election 'Funny Nonsense' - Kremlin Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Kremlin considers media reports claiming Russian President Vladimir Putin personally interfered in the US presidential election "funny nonsense," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Thursday.
- Chinese sovereignty not a bargaining chip: China's envoy to US Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- China says matters of sovereignty and territorial integrity are non-negotiable, in yet another reaction to comments by US President-elect Donald Trump, who has suggested his administration-in-waiting may want to tie the recognition of Chinese sovereignty on Taiwan to economic and political concessions from Beijing.
- China Warns US Against Treating Chinese Sovereignty as 'Bargaining Chip' Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- China's Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai has issued a firm warning to Washington against jeopardizing the bilateral relations between the countries, specifically referring to US President-elect Donald Trump's recent comments about the US "one China" policy.
- Iran FM says to pursue U.S. infringement of deal legally ISNA 15 Dec 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said his country would take legal actions against the U.S. infringement of the nuclear deal.
- Obama lets Iran sanctions renew without his signature ISNA 15 Dec 2016 -- The U.S. President Barack Obama has declined to sign a bill renewing existing sanctions against Iran, but allowed the legislation to become law.
- Iran sanctions bill becomes law without Obama signature Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has declined to sign a bill renewing existing sanctions against Iran, but allowed the legislation to become law, in an apparent effort to alleviate the Islamic Republic's concerns that Washington is backtracking on the nuclear agreement.
- Law Allowing U.S. Sanctions Against Iran Extended Without Obama Signature RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- In a surprise move, U.S. President Barack Obama declined to sign a 10-year extension of legislation governing sanctions against Iran but allowed it to become law anyway.
- US Congress Faces 'Grave Consequences' if Iran Deal Terminated - White House Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Congress will have to deal with serious repercussions if lawmakers choose to upend the Iran nuclear deal, according to White House spokesman Josh Earnest.
- Statement by Secretary Kerry on Renewing Waivers Related to Extension of the Iran Sanctions Act US Dept. of State 15 Dec 2016
- Alaska Man Charged With Conspiring to Provide Unlawful Services to Iran and International Money Laundering Conspiracy US Dept. of Justice 15 Dec 2016 -- Kenneth Zong, 77, of Anchorage Alaska, was named as the sole defendant in the 47-count indictment charging him with conspiracy to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), unlawful provision of services to Iran, money laundering conspiracy and money laundering.
- Singapore Man Pleads Guilty to Plot Involving Illegal Exports of Radio Frequency Modules From the U.S. To Iran US Dept. of Justice 15 Dec 2016 -- Lim Yong Nam, aka Steven Lim, 42, a citizen of Singapore, pleaded guilty today to a federal charge stemming from his role in a conspiracy that allegedly caused thousands of radio frequency modules to be illegally exported from the U.S. to Iran. At least 16 of the components were later found in unexploded improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in Iraq.
- Galileo begins serving the globe ESA 15 Dec 2016 -- Europe's own Galileo satellite navigation system has begun operating, with the satellites in space delivering positioning, navigation and timing information to users around the globe.
- Netherlands, EU Reach Deal On Ukraine Association Agreement RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- European Union leaders have reached an agreement about a demand from the Netherlands on a deal that would establish closer ties between the EU and Ukraine.
- European Parliament Vote Brings Georgia, Ukraine Closer To Visa-Free EU Travel RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- A December 15 vote in the European Parliament has brought the goal of visa-free travel to EU Schengen Zone countries one big step closer to reality for citizens of Ukraine and Georgia.
- EU Leaders Discuss Ukraine, Syria, Brexit At 'Minefield' Summit RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- EU heads of state and government met in Brussels on December 15 for a one-day summit to discuss what a senior EU official called a "minefield" of issues faced by the European Union.
- EU Extends Sanctions on Russia VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- European Union leaders meeting Thursday in Brussels agreed to extend sanctions on Russia for another six months, EU officials said.
- Daesh cell busted in Moscow, members arrested Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Russia has busted a major cell of the Daesh terrorist group in the capital, Moscow.
- Russia's FSB Prevents Series of Terror Attacks in Moscow Planned by Daesh Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) has prevented series of terrorist attacks in Moscow planned by Daesh terrorists group.
- Report: Islamist Terrorism Is Long-term Threat at Home, Abroad VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- Islamist terrorism will never be fully eradicated, and the threat to the U.S. homeland is real: These are among the sobering conclusions of a new U.S. Institute of Peace study that traces the origins and evolution of Salafist jihadism, a phenomenon it says blindsided the U.S. in September 2001.
- Post-Impeachment South Korean Presidential Race Begins VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- A major South Korean opposition leader declared his intention to run for president on Thursday, if Park Geun-hye's impeachment is upheld in court, and promised to modify some of her hard-line policies on North Korea.
- Taiwan to strengthen ties with U.S, Japan, regional partners: Tsai CNA 15 Dec 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said on Thursday that Taiwan will continue to deepen relations with the United States, Japan and regional partners as it works to promote "across-the-board" cooperation.
- Saudi King Acknowledges Tough Times Under Weak Economy Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- On Wednesday, the Saudi monarch Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, or simply King Salman, told the upper house of the country's parliament that restructuring the economy in the wake of falling oil prices will be difficult but necessary to ensure the nation's future stability.
- Hacked Again: 'More Than A Billion' Yahoo Accounts May Have Been Compromised Sputnik 15 Dec 2016 -- Internet company Yahoo! Inc. announced Wednesday that they are working closely with law enforcement to secure more than a billion user accounts that may have been affected by a 2013 hack. Law enforcement presented Yahoo with data from a third party claiming that it was Yahoo-user data.
- Brazil's former president faces new corruption charges Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Brazil's former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has been confronted with fresh allegations of criminal charges linked to the massive embezzlement scheme at state-owned Petrobras oil company.
- HRW accuses Turkey of 'silencing' media in post-coup crackdown Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused the Turkish government of silencing independent media in an attempt to block scrutiny or criticism of Ankara's large-scale crackdown on dissidents following an abortive July 15 military coup.
- EU Deal Aims for Closer Ties With Ukraine VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- European Union leaders on Thursday agreed to a compromise with representatives from the Netherlands that will allow increased cooperation and trade with Ukraine.
- Gambian President-Elect Says Jammeh Should Accept Defeat VOA 15 Dec 2016 -- The winner of Gambia's presidential election says efforts by incumbent Yahya Jammeh to toss out the results are illegal.
- Party nominates Turkmen president for third term as candidate in February election Press TV 15 Dec 2016 -- Turkmen President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov has been nominated for a third term as a candidate in the next year election, which he is widely expected to win.
- Turkmen President Berdymukhammedov Nominated For New Term RFE/RL 15 Dec 2016 -- Turkmenistan's dominant party has nominated incumbent President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov as its candidate in the tightly controlled Central Asian nation's February 12 presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|