10 December 2016 Military News
- Pentagon to offer Trump tougher military options on Daesh Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- The Pentagon is drawing up proposals to offer to Donald Trump if his incoming administration decides to intensify the military campaign against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, according to a report.
- Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Carter: U.S. Will Deploy More Troops to Syria to Combat ISIL AFPS 10 Dec 2016 -- The United States will deploy approximately 200 additional forces to combat Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant forces in Syria, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said during his speech today at the Manama Dialogue in Bahrain.
- US says will deploy 200 extra forces to Syria's Raqqah Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- The United States has announced plans to send 200 more troops to Syria to allegedly join operations aimed at retaking the Syrian city of Raqqah from the Daesh terrorist group.
- Coalition Airstrike Kills ISIL Leader in Syria AFPS 10 Dec 2016 -- Coalition warplanes targeted and killed terrorist Boubaker al-Hakim in Raqqa, Syria, Nov. 26, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a Defense Department statement issued today.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Coalition Strike against Boubaker al-Hakim DoD 10 Dec 2016/li>
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa of the Kingdom of Bahrain DoD 10 Dec 2016/li>
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at the 2016 IISS Manama Dialogue, Manama, Bahrain DoD 10 Dec 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Russia to Start Advanced PAK FA Fighters Production on Schedule in 2017 Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- Russian Aerospace Forces Commander Viktor Bondarev said that the tests of Russian Sukhoi T-50 (PAK FA) fifth-generation fighters are proceeding in leaps and bounds, the eighth prototype has already been delivered.
- Upgrading a Hellduck: Russia's Su-34 to Get State-of-the-Art Overhaul Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- The next few years will see the further modernization of the Su-34, a Russian strike fighter; the warplane will get new armament and electronic warfare systems, according to the Russian news network Zvezda.
- Pentagon Claims China Preparing Anti-Satellite Missile Test Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- Beijing is gearing up to test fire a powerful new asymmetric-warfare weapon, a missile designed to destroy satellites in space.
- China, Japan agree on early launch of air, maritime contact system People's Daily 10 Dec 2016 -- China and Japan have agreed to work for the creation of an air and maritime contact system between their defense ministries as early as possible.
- Chinese aircraft circle near Taiwan again: MND CNA 10 Dec 2016 -- Chinese military aircraft circled near Taiwan on Saturday for the second time in less than a month but did not enter the country's air defense identification zone, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) said.
- China Condemns US Defense Bill Provision on Taiwan VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- China has spoken out against a U.S. defense bill passed Friday which includes a provision calling for yearly military exchanges with Taiwan, which Beijing sees as a breakaway province.
- Former India Air Force Chief Arrested In Helicopter Scandal Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- On Friday, former Indian Air Force chief marshal Shashindra Pal Tyagi was arrested by New Dehli's Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for his alleged involvement in buying 12 AW 101 VVIP helicopters from AgustaWestland, an auxiliary of Rome-based defense company Leonardo-Finmeccanica.
- India Eyes Indian Ocean, Defense Minister Visits Island Nation of Mauritius Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar is visiting Mauritius for three days; the trip holds significance, as India is expected to leverage its position in the region by offering a line of credit to Mauritius for additional defense purchases.
- North Korea capable of launching nuclear weapons: US Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- North Korea has become capable of launching nuclear weapons, a US military official says, noting that the secretive regime does not seem to have acquired the technology to control the weapon after it is launched.
- 23 expert units to participate in 'Prophet Mohammad-4' military drill IRNA 10 Dec 2016 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heidari said that some 23 expert units of Islamic Republic of Iran Army Ground Forces (NEZAJA) are to take part in 'Prophet Mohammad-4' military drill.
- Navy commander calls for cooperation of regional states to save peace IRNA 10 Dec 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic Navy Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Saturday that peace and security of the region must be guaranteed by collective cooperation of the regional states.
- Iran's General says to respond threats seriously ISNA 10 Dec 2016 -- Deputy Chief of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces, Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri said those who seek drowning Iranian ships in Persian Gulf lack military intelligence.
- Iran Ground Forces to stage military drill ISNA 10 Dec 2016 -- The new Commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiomars Heidari has said the forces would hold a military maneuver in southeastern part of the country.
- Iran will give tough response to possible US aggression: Senior commander Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Iran's chief Armed Forces spokesman has warned the United States against any possible act of aggression against the Islamic Republic, vowing a harsh response to enemies' moves.
- Joint Press Availability with French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed al-Thani US Dept. of State 10 Dec 2016
- Beijing reiterates right over S China Sea islands amid Vietnam activities Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- China has asserted its sovereignty rights over disputed islands and reefs in the South China Sea as Vietnam begins dredging work in the region.
- China asks for halt of illegal construction in Nansha islands People's Daily 10 Dec 2016 -- China urged "relevant country" to respect its sovereignty and stop illegal invasions and construction activities on the Nansha Islands and their adjacent waters, Foreign Ministry Spokesman Lu Kang said Friday.
- At least 45 pro-Hadi troops killed in Aden bomb blast Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- A bomb blast has killed at least 45 soldiers loyal to former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in Yemen's southern city of Aden.
- Car Bomb Kills 20 Military Personnel in Yemen's Aden Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- A bomb exploded on Saturday outside a military camp in the southern Yemeni port city of Aden, killing at least 20 personnel, a local security source told Sputnik.
- Suicide Attack on Yemeni Army Base Kills at Least 50 VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- At least 50 Yemeni soldiers are dead after a suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance of an army base in the city of Aden, according to local security officials.
- US cannot guarantee arms supplies to Syria won't fall into Daesh hands Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- The United States cannot guarantee that the weapons it sends to militants in Syria will not end up in the hands of the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, says the State Department.
- Western leaders call for resumption of Syria talks amid army's gains against militants Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Western leaders have called for a new round of talks between representatives from the Damascus government and foreign-sponsored opposition groups to find a solution to the nearly six-year-old conflict in Syria amid recent gains made by the Syrian army against militants and terrorist groups.
- Syria sends reinforcements to Palmyra to counter Daesh Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian army says reinforcements have been deployed to the ancient city of Palmyra in the west-central Homs Province to prevent the Takfiri Daesh terrorists from further advancing toward the city.
- IS Militants Enter Syria's Palmyra RFE/RL 10 Dec 2016 -- Islamic State (IS) militants have entered the ancient city of Palmyra in eastern Syria for the first time since Syrian forces recaptured the city earlier this year, according to a monitoring group.
- Kerry Accuses Assad Of 'War Crimes' As Aleppo Offensive Rages On RFE/RL 10 Dec 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says the Syrian government's bombardment of the city of Aleppo amounts to "war crimes" and has called for Damascus allies Russia and Iran to help end it.
- IS Back in Palmyra, Driving to Regain Control of Syrian City VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- Islamic State extremists fought their way into the ancient central Syrian city of Palmyra on Saturday, monitors said, after two days of intense fighting with government forces.
- Turkish warplanes bomb northern Iraq, kill 19 Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Turkish fighter jets have bombarded an area in northern Iraq, killing at least 19 people.
- Turkish Airstrikes in Northern Iraq Kill 19 PKK Fighters Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- The Turkish Air Force killed 19 fighters of the Kurdistan Workers' Party in northern Iraq.
- Iraq sends reinforcements to east of Mosul Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- A senior Iraqi commander says a number of new contingents have been sent to the east of the northern city of Mosul to bolster the military forces already deployed there.
- Worried for the safety of civilians in Libya's Ganfouda, UN envoy calls for a safe passage to allow evacuations UN News 10 Dec 2016 -- Expressing deep concern that civilians remain in Ganfouda area of the Libyan city, Benghazi, despite a unilateral ceasefire announced by the Libyan National Army, the United Nations envoy for the country called on the parties to provide another safe passage to allow for the evacuation of all civilians who wish to leave in a secure and dignified manner.
- Libya: UN envoy welcomes temporary cessation of hostilities for civilian evacuation in Ganfouda UN News 10 Dec 2016 -- Welcoming the announcement of a temporary cessation of hostilities by the Libyan National Army in the Ganfouda area, in the Libyan city of Benghazi, to allow evacuation of civilians, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Libya called on the parties to the conflict to ensure that civilians are protected.
- Myanmar Farmers Hope NLD Can End Suffering of Junta-era Land Grabs VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- The siblings Kaw Nan and La Moi appear glum and still shocked when asked to explain what happened to their father after he removed some fences that a company had built on his farmland in Phang Meti Village.
- Car Bomb Attack in Somalia Hits Police Checkpoint, Kills 2 VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- At least two police officers were killed and four others wounded in a car bomb attack on a police checkpoint near the Somali capital Mogadishu Saturday, officials and eyewitnesses said.
- Obama orders probe into Russia role in Trump election Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has ordered American intelligence agencies to investigate Russian cyber attacks as the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) concluded that Russia moved deliberately to help elect Donald Trump as president, not just to undermine the US political process more generally.
- CIA Reportedly Concluded Russian Hackers' Goal Was To Elect Trump RFE/RL 10 Dec 2016 -- The CIA has concluded that Russia intervened in the election last month to help U.S. President-elect Donald Trump win the White House, The Washington Post has reported.
- US Intelligence Agencies Suspect Russia of Hacking Into Republican Party Servers Sputnik 10 Dec 2016 -- US intelligence agencies suspect that the Russian government was involved in the hacking of the Republican National Committee's (RNC) computer systems without further publication of the stolen data, The New York Times reported, citing sources.
- Reports: CIA Believes Russia Helped Trump Win White House VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has ordered the intelligence community to conduct a full review of "hacking-related activity aimed at disrupting the 2016 U.S. presidential election."
- Gambia ruler rejects presidential poll a week after conceding defeat Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Gambia's long-time President Yahya Jammeh has rejected the results of the country's recent presidential election a week after conceding defeat to his rival.
- Gambia: UN Security Council calls on outgoing President to 'respect' peoples' choice and to carry out a peaceful transition UN News 10 Dec 2016 -- Strongly condemning the outgoing Gambian President's rejection of the official election results proclaimed by the country's Independent Electoral Commission, the United Nations Security Council urged him to carry out a peaceful and orderly transition process.
- African Union Criticizes Gambian President Over Rejected Election Results VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- The African Union is calling on Gambian President Yahya Jammeh to accept the results of the presidential election earlier this month as he said he would.
- Indonesia arrests 4 for bomb attack plot in Jakarta Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Four people have been arrested in Indonesia on suspicion of plotting a major bomb attack in the capital, Jakarta.
- Bomb Plot Alleged as Suspects Are Arrested in Indonesia VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- Three alleged terrorists arrested near Jakarta were thought to be on the verge of carrying out an attack on a tourist area of the capital Sunday, Indonesian authorities said.
- Top leader of Daesh-linked terrorists killed in eastern Malaysia Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Security forces in Malaysia have killed a senior leader of the Philippines-based Abu Sayyaf Takfiri terrorist group in a shootout off the coast of the eastern province of Sabah on the island of Borneo, the Philippine military says.
- France says plans emergency state extension due to elections Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- The French premier says his administration is seeking to prolong until mid-July next year a state of emergency declared across the European country after the deadly 2015 Paris attacks.
- Denial and Outrage in Russia at Latest Anti-Doping Report VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- In the runup to the release of the World Anti-Doping Agency report, Match TV, a Kremlin-sponsored national sports channel launched earlier this year, rightly labeled the stakes involved.
- Khodorkovsky: Putin Could Seek Kremlin Exit Amid Infighting After 2018 Election RFE/RL 10 Dec 2016 -- Former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky says Russian President Vladimir Putin will likely coast to a second six-year term in an election slated for 2018, but that mounting infighting among insiders could prompt him to seek an exit from the Kremlin.
- President Xi confident of achieving economic targets for 2016 People's Daily 10 Dec 2016 -- President Xi Jinping has said he is confident that China will well achieve its major economic and social targets for 2016, and that the 13th Five-Year Plan period (2016-2020) will be off to a good start, according to a statement released Friday.
- China to build its 2nd overseas observatory in Chile People's Daily 10 Dec 2016 -- China has signed an agreement to build an observatory in northern Chile, the best place in the world to observe the sky.
- Shamkhani: Iran ready to respond to US over breach of nuclear deal IRNA 10 Dec 2016 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani said on Saturday that the nuclear deal was a clear sign of Iran's soft power and that Iran will respond to the United States over breach of the deal, JCPOA.
- Iran denounces the UK PM comments ISNA 10 Dec 2016 -- Iranian ambassador to the UK Hamid Baeidinejad announced the country's objection to the UK foreign office towards the recent comments made by its Prime Minister Theresa May.
- Turkey seeks to arrest 55 suspected Gulen movement financers as crackdown widens Press TV 10 Dec 2016 -- Turkish officials have issued arrest warrants for dozens more people, including business figures, over suspected affiliation to the network of US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded the failed military coup in mid-July.
- Bombs Targeting Turkish Police Kill 29 in Istanbul VOA 10 Dec 2016 -- Two explosions were touched off near a huge soccer stadium late Saturday in Istanbul. Witnesses and authorities said the attacks – a car bombing and a suicide blast – were aimed at security officers two hours after a match ended.
- Macedonia Holds Elections In Wake Of Wiretap Scandal RFE/RL 10 Dec 2016 -- Macedonians are going to the polls for parliamentary elections that voters in the Balkan nation hope will help put an end to almost two years of political instability triggered by a massive wiretapping scandal.
- Kyrgyzstan Holds Referendum On Constitutional Changes RFE/RL 10 Dec 2016 -- Kyrgyzstan is holding a constitutional referendum that could shift key powers from the president to the prime minister and effectively outlaw same-sex marriage.
- Ghana: Congratulating new President, UN chief thanks outgoing leader for preserving peace during polls UN News 10 Dec 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has congratulated the Nana Akufo-Addo on his election as President of Ghana and thanked outgoing President John Dramani Mahama for his role in defusing tensions and preserving peace during the election period.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|