23 September 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 23 Sep 2016 [PDF]
- Coalition Continues Counter-ISIL Progress Across Iraq, Syria AFPS 23 Sep 2016 -- Counter-Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant forces continue their progress against the terror group throughout Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman Air Force Col. John Dorrian said today.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Col. Dorrian via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 23 Sep 2016 -- Presenter: Colonel John Dorrian, Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 23 Sep 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 23 Sep 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by General Nicholson via Teleconference from Afghanistan DoD 23 Sep 2016 -- Presenter: General John W. Nicholson Jr., commander, Resolute Support and U.S. Forces Afghanistan; Captain Jeff Davis, Director, Defense Press Office
- Afghan Security Forces Growing to Take Over Mission, General Says AFPS 23 Sep 2016 -- The Resolute Support mission to train, advise and assist Afghan security forces is producing tangible results, Army Gen. John W. "Mick" Nicholson Jr., commander of the Resolute Support mission and U.S. Forces Afghanistan told reporters at the Pentagon here today.
- Afghanistan peace deal step forward: Iran envoy Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- An Iranian diplomat says Tehran welcomes as a step forward the recent landmark agreement between the Afghan government and Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the leader of a militant group.
- Corruption in Afghanistan Has Become 'Unbeatable Force' Since 2001 US Invasion Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- The international community and the Afghan government has failed to combat corruption because of a lack of political will, Mohammad Shafiq Hamdam, head of the Afghan Anti-Corruption Network, told Radio Sputnik.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bataan Amphibious Ready Group Completes PMINT NNS 23 Sep 2016 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5) and the Bataan Amphibious Readiness Group (BATARG), Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 8 and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), completed a two-week PHIBRON-MEU Integrated Training (PMINT) exercise off the east coast of the United States Sept. 23.
- Global U-2 Flying Operations Not Impacted by recent crash AFNS 23 Sep 2016 -- Worldwide flying operations for the U-2 have not been impacted as a result of a recent crash here on Sept. 20.
- Transcom Releases Forward-Looking Strategy for Future Success AFPS 23 Sep 2016 -- U.S. Transportation Command has released a new strategy designed to help the command navigate the uncertain future it faces, Transcom officials said.
- Jungle Warfare Training Center prepares Marines for operations in Asia-Pacific USMC News 23 Sep 2016 -- Since 1958, the Jungle Warfare Training Center has provided terrain and climate-specific training to units serving across the Asia-Pacific region.
- Black Dart Exercise Tests Counter-UAS Capabilities Aboard USS Jason Dunham, USS Lassen NNS 23 Sep 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyers USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109) and USS Lassen (DDG 82) tested counter-unmanned aerial system (C-UAS) capabilities during exercise Black Dart off the coast of Destin, Florida, Sept. 20.
- Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group Wraps Up Valiant Shield Operations NNS 23 Sep 2016 -- The Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group (BHR ESG), with embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, concluded the joint U.S. military exercise Valiant Shield 2016, Sept 23.
- USS Jackson Arrives at New Homeport NNS 23 Sep 2016 -- Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Jackson (LCS 6) arrived at its new homeport of San Diego, Sept. 22.
- NATO Warships Conduct Submarine Warfare Exercise in Canada - Royal Navy Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- Royal Canadian Navy said that Warships from NATO countries are conducting massive two-week anti-submarine warfare drills led by the Canadian armed forces.
- Chinese deep-sea explorer ship completes maiden voyage People's Daily 23 Sep 2016 -- The Chinese deep-sea research ship Zhang Jian returned to her home port in Shanghai after finishing a 74-day scientific research trip to the Southern Pacific.
- China continues to expand UN peacekeeping efforts around the world People's Daily 23 Sep 2016 -- China is now the largest contributor to UN Peacekeeping among UN Security Council members, involved with 10 of the current 16 peacekeeping operations led by UN's department of peacekeeping operations, with over 2,600 Chinese soldiers taking part.
- Air force to conduct regular patrols over islands People's Daily 23 Sep 2016 -- Patrols in the South China Sea by Chinese Air Force jets have become a "regular" practice to improve their combat readiness, an air force spokesperson said on Thursday.
- Going nuclear only way to defend N Korea against US: Pyongyang Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- North Korea says the sole way to defend itself against the US is "going nuclear," two weeks after the country conducted its fifth nuclear blast in the face of crippling sanctions.
- North Korea to Push Ahead With Nuclear Deterrence - Foreign Minister Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- North Korea's Foreign Affairs Minister Ri Yong-ho said that Pyongyang will continue to build its nuclear arsenal to deter threats against the country from the United States and other nations.
- N Korean Military Threatens to Use Nuclear Weapons Against Seoul, Guam US Base Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- The North Korean military is threatening to use their nuclear weapons against the South Korean capital, Seoul, and a US military base located on the Pacific island of Guam.
- India seals deal to buy 36 Rafale fighter jets from France Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- India has formally signed an agreement with France for the purchase of three dozen Rafale fighter jets worth a reported 8.8 billion dollars amid a long-running arms race with neighboring Pakistan.
- India, France Sign $8.7 Bln Contract on Delivery of 36 Rafale Jets Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- France and India signed a contract on the delivery of 36 French-made Rafale fighter jets, Indian media reported on Friday.
- India Signs $8.7B Deal With France for 36 Fighter Jets VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- India, which has emerged as the world's largest arms importer in the last five years, signed an $8.7 billion deal to buy 36 fighter jets from France - one of the biggest defense deals in recent years.
- Iran warns off American U2 spy plane: Commander Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country's air defense forces have warned off an American U2 spy plane trying to fly over Iran's borders.
- Iran's jungle of missiles ready to rain down on enemies: IRGC cmdr. Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country has "a jungle of missiles" deployed at tunnels and silos among other locations, which are ready to be fired at enemies if the need arises.
- Russia, Pakistan to hold first joint military exercise Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Pakistan and Russia are set to hold their first ever joint military exercise, which is dubbed Friendship 2016.
- First Russia-Pakistan Military Drills Druzhba-2016 to Bolster Defense Ties Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- The first joint Druzhba-2016 ("Friendship-2016") exercises between Pakistan and Russia are aimed at developing cooperation between ground forces and laying foundation for closer ties in the defense area, the Pakistani Embassy in Moscow announced Friday.
- Security Council adopts resolution on nuclear non-proliferation and nuclear disarmament UN News 23 Sep 2016 -- Reaffirming that proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and their means of delivery, threatens international peace and security, the United Nations Security Council today adopted a resolution urging all States who haven't done so to sign the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.
- Remarks at United Nations Security Council Meeting on the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) US Dept. of State 23 Sep 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- British Typhoon jets intercept Russian Blackjack bombers Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- The UK has scrambled jet fighters to intercept two Russian bombers that were approaching its borders, the British defense ministry says.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 9/23/2016 The White House 23 Sep 2016
- 23 September 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 23 Sep 2016
- UN denounces Saudi raid on western Yemen region Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations has censured a deadly Saudi airstrike against a residential neighborhood in Yemen's western and coastal province of Hudaydah, arguing that such aerial assaults against the impoverished Arab country have intensified since July.
- Yemenis kill, injure 40 militants after Saudi carnage in Hudaydah Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Yemeni forces have killed or injured at least 40 Saudi mercenaries in the country's southwest in their first retaliation against Saudi air raids that left dozens of civilians dead in Hudaydah Province.
- Russia prevented Syria's disintegration, Lavrov says Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says it is high time to learn the lessons of the previous crises and prevent the ongoing foreign-sponsored militancy in Syria from sliding down to a "catastrophe".
- Setbacks for Free Syrian Army Rebels Rekindle Questions About Their Abilities VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- The U.S.-supported, Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) forces this week suffered a series of military setbacks to the Islamic State group in northern Syria, rekindling concerns over the effectiveness of the troops and whether that could force Ankara to deploy more of its own troops into Syria.
- Syria army starts offensive to recapture militant-held eastern Aleppo Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- The Syrian army has announced the start of a new large-scale military operation in Aleppo aimed at flushing foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants from the eastern flanks of the strategic northwestern city.
- Erdogan Accuses US of Delivering Plane Loads of Arms to Kurds in Syria's Kobani Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- The United States has delivered more armaments to Kurds in the northern Syrian city of Kobani, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
- 'Few Indications' Russia, Syria Plan to Ease Crisis VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- U.S. military and intelligence officials are questioning whether Russia has the will or the capability to do anything about the growing crisis in Syria, accusing Moscow of perpetuating a humanitarian catastrophe.
- Intense Bombing in Aleppo Kills 30, Syria Monitors Say VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- Residents of Syria's rebel-held city Aleppo have reported a surge of airstrikes, which local monitors say have killed at least 30 people. The Syrian government announced a renewed offensive against the city after U.S. and Russia failed to salvage a cease-fire that had diffused hostilities for nearly a week.
- Iraqi soldiers, allied forces recapture district in Anbar province Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by fighters from allied Popular Mobilization Units, have fully recaptured a district in the conflict-ridden western province of Anbar from the Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Daesh Fortifies Positions Ahead of Mosul Battle - Task Force Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman said that Daesh has been fortifying its positions in the Iraqi city of Mosul ahead of the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) offensive to liberate it.
- Iraq's Army, Militia Fully Liberate Baghdadi Island From Daesh Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- According to local media reports, Iraqi Baghdadi island west of the Anbar province was fully liberated from the Daesh fighters on Friday.
- Peshmerga to Play Role as 'Front-Line Partners' in Mosul Battle Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- KRG Foreign Minister Falah Mustafa Bakir said that the Kurdish Peshmerga forces are certain to participate in the military operation to drive the Islamic State out of the Iraqi city of Mosul.
- Irbil Seeks 'Meaningful' Talks With Baghdad on Self-Determination Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is looking the Iraqi central government in Baghdad for a frank discussion on the future autonomy of federalized region, KRG Foreign Minister Falah Mustafa Bakir told Sputnik.
- Statement by the Quartet's Principals US Dept. of State 23 Sep 2016
- Quartet 'gravely concerned' about Israeli settlement expansion Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- The so-called Middle East Quartet has censured the Tel Aviv regime for its settlement expansion policy, saying the attitude undermines efforts to find a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Ban urges implementation of peace agreement to resolve instability in Mali UN News 23 Sep 2016 -- The promotion of peace and stability in Mali is crucial to its people, for the region and for the world, United Nations Secretary-General Bank Ki-moon said today, urging the parties involved in the country's reconstruction to implement the foundations that have been laid out regarding the way forward.
- Central African Republic has 'turned its back on past dark days,' President tells UN UN News 23 Sep 2016 -- Taking the podium today at the General Assembly, Faustin Archange Touadera, President of the Central African Republic (CAR), paid tribute to the entire United Nations system and all those in the wider international community that helped his country return to stability and constitutional legality, as he set out his four-pronged framework to continue the momentum towards lasting peace.
- Kremlin Reportedly Planning to Revive KGB-style Security Behemoth VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- The Russian newspaper Kommersant, citing unnamed sources, reported this week that before the next presidential election, scheduled for March 2018, the Kremlin plans to create a gigantic new ministry that will absorb most of Russia's existing security agencies.
- Putin Proposes Presidential Office Insider Volodin As New Duma Speaker RFE/RL 23 Sep 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has proposed his deputy chief of staff, Vyacheslav Volodin, to be chairman of the new State Duma, a move that would further tighten Putin's control over the political arena after a massive election win for the ruling United Russia party.
- Putin Suggests Candidacy of Aide Volodin as New Duma Speaker Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed Friday the candidacy of his aide Vyacheslav Volodin as the next State Duma speaker.
- UK intelligence agency to work with private sector to develop cyber security technologies People's Daily 23 Sep 2016 -- A groundbreaking partnership in Britain to develop world-leading cyber security technology was given a 65-million-U.S.-dollar boost Friday.
- UN rights experts call for immediate halt to violent repression of electoral protests in the DRC UN News 23 Sep 2016 -- In relation to proposed presidential elections, two United Nations human rights experts today urged the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to put an immediate end to its disproportionate use of force against peaceful assembly and expression.
- ISIL-Linked Kosovo Hacker Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison US Dept. of Justice 23 Sep 2016 -- Ardit Ferizi, aka Th3Dir3ctorY, 20, a citizen of Kosovo, was sentenced today to 20 years in prison for providing material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a designated foreign terrorist organization, and accessing a protected computer without authorization and obtaining information in order to provide material support to ISIL.
- Obama Veto Bars 9/11 Lawsuits Against Saudi Arabia VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has vetoed legislation that would have allowed the families of 9/11 terror attack victims to sue Saudi Arabia over its alleged ties to the hijackers involved in those crimes 15 years ago.
- India: Crucial Water Treaty With Pakistan Needs Mutual Trust VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- With tensions between India and Pakistan running high over an attack on an Indian air base, New Delhi has alluded to the possibility of revisiting a crucial water agreement with Pakistan, but a high-ranking U.N. official cautioned against getting caught up in "water-war rhetoric."
- Results from Recovery Efforts in DPRK KCNA 23 Sep 2016 -- The flood-hit Musan Mining Complex in Musan County, North Hamgyong Province of the DPRK, has made a progress in the recovery efforts.
- Araqchi: Joint commission reviewed JCPOA implementation, sanctions IRNA 23 Sep 2016 -- Deputy foreign minister and head of Headquarters for Following-Up Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action said the foreign ministers of Iran and the Group 5+1 reviewed implementation of JCPOA.
- US vows to change course on JCPOA: Rouhani Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the United States has promised to change the way it is implementing last year's nuclear agreement reached between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries.
- US House passes bill to outlaw cash payments to Iran Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- The US House of Representatives in Congress has passed another anti-Iran bill to prohibit the White House from making cash payments to the Islamic Republic.
- Iran working on oil swap plan with KRG Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Iran says it is working on a plan to establish a crude oil swap scheme with Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) similar to the one already in place with Caspian littoral states.
- Taiwan Snubbed by ICAO, Under Pressure from China VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- A U.N. aviation agency has not invited Taiwan to its September conference in Canada, the latest sign that China is putting more pressure on Taiwan's new government.
- Nigeria police attack Zakzaky supporters Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- Nigerian police have attacked a protest rally by Shia Muslims demanding the release of Nigerian Shia leader, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky.
- UN Expert: Azerbaijan's Civil Society Facing 'Worst Situation' In 25 Years RFE/RL 23 Sep 2016 -- A United Nations human rights expert says that Azerbaijan's civil society has been "paralyzed" by the government and, in the past two to three years, has faced "the worst situation" since the country's independence in 1991.
- The Politics Of Fear: Referendum In Republika Srpska RFE/RL 23 Sep 2016 -- A referendum called by the president of Republika Srpska, Milorad Dodik, over a seemingly innocent question - whether January 9 should be celebrated as the entity's Statehood Day - is set to take place on September 25.
- Kyrgyz Leader Arrives in Moscow For Medical Treatment Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- The president of the central Asian nation of Kyrgyzstan has arrived in Moscow for medical treatment, the president's press service informed on Friday on the official presidential website.
- At UN, Albania highlights efforts to join EU, support for international recognition of Kosovo UN News 23 Sep 2016 -- Addressing the United Nations General Assembly, Albanian President Bujar Nishani today highlighted his country's role as a candidate for European Union (EU) membership and voiced support for Kosovo's participation in all multilateral regional and international activities.
- European leaders at UN debate call for stronger political action tackle terrorism, end Syrian crisis UN News 23 Sep 2016 -- While political dialogue and multilateral negotiations might be tedious processes, they are nevertheless the surest way to secure lasting solutions to the world's most pressing challenges, the Prime Minister of Belgium said today, joining other European leaders at the United Nations today calling for broad-based diplomatic action to end five years of chaos and bloodshed in Syria.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|