11 September 2016 Military News
- Roadside Taliban Bomb Kills Afghan Provincial Police Chief VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan say a roadside bomb attack Sunday killed a provincial police chief and wounded at least three security guards.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US claims of warship harassment in Persian Gulf fictitious: Iran Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Iran's chief Armed Forces spokesman has dismissed as untrue US claims that an American warship patrolling the Persian Gulf was harassed by Iranian boats, saying the Islamic Republic's naval forces act according to international law.
- Russia to Form New Tank Division in Central Military District by December Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- Russia's Central Military District new armored division will be formed by the start of December.
- China, Russia to begin joint drills in South China Sea on Monday Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- China and Russia will commence eight-day naval drills in the disputed South China Sea on Monday, Beijing has announced.
- China, Russia to Begin Massive Eight Day Naval War Games in South China Sea Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- The military exercise proceeds as tensions continue to mount over the contested waters with the Obama administration demanding that China submit to the ruling of The Hague international tribunal invalidating Beijing's historical claim.
- China, Russia navies to hold navy drill in South China Sea People's Daily 11 Sep 2016 -- China and Russia will stage an eight-day Navy drill in the South China Sea off southern China's Guangdong Province starting Monday, a Chinese Navy spokesperson said Sunday.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Refutes Obama's "Statement" against Nuclear Warheads Explosive Test KCNA 11 Sep 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK issued the following statement on Sunday:
- Successful Nuclear Test Delights Citizens in DPRK KCNA 11 Sep 2016 -- All the people in the DPRK are delighted at the news of successful explosion test of a nuclear warhead newly manufactured by the country.
- US must recognize N Korea as nuclear-weapon state: Pyongyang Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- North Korea has stated its demand for being recognized as a "legitimate" nuclear-weapon country in the wake of Pyongyang's recent nuclear test.
- South Korea Develops Plan to Annihilate Pyongyang in Case of War Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- South Korea reportedly has developed a preemptive attack plan against North Korea aiming to destroy the northern capital Pyongyang in case of a nuclear attack emanating from the north.
- Japan Coast Guard Detects Four Chinese Ships Near E China Sea Disputed Islands Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- Four Chinese ships entered Japanese territorial waters on Sunday near the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, the Japan Coast Guard said.
- Chinese vessels sail near disputed islands in East China Sea: Japan Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Four Chinese ships have sailed near islands in the East China Sea that are administered by Japan but also claimed by Beijing, Tokyo says.
- Chinese Coastguard Vessels Patrol Waters Near Disputed Islands in East China Sea Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- Several Chinese coastguard vessels are patrolling the waters near a disputed group of islands in the East China Sea, a local broadcaster reported Sunday.
- Bomb kills nearly a dozen Hadi loyalists in Yemen's Abyan Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Nearly a dozen soldiers loyal to Yemen's Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, the president who has resigned and fled the capital Sana'a, have been killed in a car bomb explosion targeting a police station in the southern province of Abyan.
- Ahrar al-Sham terrorists say ceasefire reinforces Syrian government Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- The Saudi-backed Ahrar al-Sham terrorist group has rejected a US, Russia brokered ceasefire just hours before its implementation.
- Iran welcomes truce agreement in Syria: Spokesman Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Iran has welcomed a Russia-US mediated ceasefire agreement in Syria aimed at putting an end to more than five years of deadly conflict gripping the Arab country.
- Syrian soldiers, allied forces repel militant assault on Quneitra Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Syrian army soldiers, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have managed to thwart an offensive by terrorists on a region in the country's strategic southwestern province of Quneitra.
- Hezbollah voices support for Syria ceasefire agreement Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement has voiced support for a ceasefire plan announced by Russia and the United States, which will put a week-long end to fighting in Syria's embattled city of Aleppo.
- Syria Cease-Fire Agreement Gets Cautious Welcome VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Syria says the Damascus government of embattled President Bashar al-Assad had accepted the cease-fire deal brokered by its Russian ally and the United States.
- PKK Trying to Disrupt Turkey's Anti-Terrorist Operation in N Syria - Erdogan Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), outlawed by Ankara, of trying to disrupt prevent Turkey's operation in northern Syria, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
- Forces loyal to Libyan general capture oil terminals Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's powerful general, Khalifa Haftar, who is opposed to the country's UN-backed government, have seized control of two key oil terminals in the north.
- Troops Loyal to Army Chief Haftar Seize Key Oil Ports From GNA Forces in Libya Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- The forces led by Gen. Khalifa Haftar, the commander of the armed forces loyal to Libya's Tobruk-based government, have gained full control of an area known as Libya's oil crescent with its major oil terminals, general's spokesman Khalifa Obeidi told Sputnik Sunday.
- Arab League's unwise stance will deepen gaps in Mideast: Iran Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Iran has vehemently dismissed a statement issued by the Ministerial Council of the Arab League about three Iranian islands in the Persian Gulf, saying such injudicious approaches would deepen divisions in the Middle East.
- DRC: UN mission extracts hundreds from national park on humanitarian grounds UN News 11 Sep 2016 -- Acting on humanitarian grounds and at the request of the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the United Nations mission in the country has extracted hundreds of individuals, including the former Vice-President of South Sudan, Riek Machar, members of his family and aides, as well as a number civilians from a national park in the DRC.
- Remarks by the President Obama at the 9/11 Memorial Observance Ceremony The White House 11 Sep 2016
- Obama commemorates 9/11, warns of 'evolved' threats Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has memorialized the September 11, 2001 attacks by warning that America is faced with an "evolved threat" of terrorism.
- Obama Praises U.S. Diversity As Country Marks 9/11 Anniversary RFE/RL 11 Sep 2016 -- President Barack Obama praised the diversity of the United States and called on Americans not to be divided by their enemies, as he helped mark the 15th anniversary of the worst terrorist attacks to hit U.S. soil.
- Al-Qaeda leader threatens US with more attacks on 9/11 anniversary Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- The al-Qaeda terrorist group has released a new video on the eve of the 15th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks, threatening the United States with more such strikes.
- Hillary Dragged Into Van After Fainting: Can Bernie or Biden Replace Her? Yes Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- The Democratic nominee dogged by rumors of her deteriorating health after footage emerged of her coughing and gasping for air for nearly five minutes and suffering what seems like a seizure had another 'medical episode' on Sunday.
- Three women killed in attack on police station in Kenya's Mombasa Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Three women have been killed while attempting to carry out a knife and firebomb attack on the main police station in the Kenyan city of Mombasa.
- CIA Chief Says Russian Hacking Threatens U.S. RFE/RL 11 Sep 2016 -- The director of the Central Intelligence Agency is again warning about Russia's computer hacking abilities, saying the country has "exceptionally capable and sophisticated cyber-capabilities."
- CIA Chief Warns of Russia's 'Sophisticated' Hacking Ability VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- CIA Director John Brennan warned Sunday of Russia's "exceptionally capable and sophisticated'' hacking capabilities, and said the U.S. must be on guard.
- Turkey axes 28 mayors over suspected 'PKK links' Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- The Turkish government has fired more than two dozen local mayors in the mainly Kurdish-populated southeast of the country over suspected links to a banned pro-Kurdish militant group.
- Protesters Clash With Police in Turkey Over Removal of Mayors VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Clashes between police and protesters erupted in southeastern Turkey after a government announcement that it had replaced 28 elected municipal and district mayors in several predominantly Kurdish towns.
- DPRK Pays Priority to Flood Damage Rehabilitation KCNA 11 Sep 2016 -- Recently, strong wind and heavy rainfalls, the worst-ever climatic phenomenon in Korea after its liberation, swept over several cities and counties along the River Tuman in the northern part of the DPRK, causing huge losses.
- All DPRK People Turn out in Flood Damage Rehabilitation KCNA 11 Sep 2016 -- All the people of the DPRK have turned out in a struggle for reconstruction of disaster areas in the northern part of North Hamgyong Province recently hit hard by stormy heavy rainfalls.
- DPRK launches national campaign on post-flood reconstruction People's Daily 11 Sep 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) called on its people to engage in a rehabilitation campaign in wake of strong storms, the official news agency KCNA reported Sunday.
- US may impose unilateral sanctions on North Korea: Envoy Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- The United States may impose unilateral sanctions on North Korea over its recent nuclear test, an American special envoy to the isolated state says.
- US, Japan Consider More Sanctions Against Pyongyang Following Nuclear Test VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- The United States is considering more unilateral sanctions against North Korea following Pyongyang's fifth and largest nuclear test.
- Iraq 'deeply satisfied' with expulsion of anti-Iran MKO terrorists Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Iraq has hailed the expulsion of the remaining members of the anti-Iran terrorist Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO), describing the eviction process as an "outstanding success."
- Russian Specialists Start Developing Reactor for Iranian Bushehr NPP - Official Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- A Russian state company specializing in production of nuclear power plant reactors begins drafting a reactor facility destined for the Iranian Busher NPP, a senior official of the manufacturing corporation said on Sunday.
- Saudi budget deficit forecast to remain high Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Fitch Ratings says the budget deficit of Saudi Arabia will remain high until at least 2018 in what could be a fresh indication that the economic troubles of the world's biggest crude oil exporter will still continue to suffer from the impacts of low crude prices.
- DPP wins local by-election, ending losing streak CNA 11 Sep 2016 -- Lin Che-ling of the Democratic Progressive Party won the township chief by-election of Khohu in southern Taiwan's Yunlin County, stopping the party's losing streak in local by-elections since the DPP administration took power on May 20.
- Brexiters Tell PM May to Speed Up Britain's Break With EU VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- In the run-up to Britain's referendum on whether to remain in the European Union, opponents of Brexit warned that leaving the bloc would lead to economic peril, but the country's economy appears to have performed strongly in the 78 days since the vote, undermining predictions of gloom and doom.
- Pakistan Refuses Fresh Calls for Afghan Trade with India Through Land Routes VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Pakistan has rejected fresh calls by Afghanistan to allow the conflict-ridden landlocked country to engage in direct trade with India through its land routes, citing existing official arrangements between Islamabad and Kabul.
- Early Results Give Conservatives Lead in Croatian Parliamentary Election VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Early results from Croatia's parliamentary election show the conservative Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) likely will win the most seats, but not enough to rule on its own, setting up another coalition government.
- Hundreds of Thousands March for Independence in Spain's Catalonia Region VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Hundreds of thousands of Catalans marched in Barcelona and other Spanish cities Sunday to rally for independence for the country's northeastern region.
- Africa Discussing Ways to Stop the Continent's Mass Rural Exodus VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Representatives of 30 African countries have been working this week to map out ways to stop the continent's mass rural exodus at the Forum on Rural Development in Yaounde.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|