22 August 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 22 Aug 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 22 Aug 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Pentagon Press Secretary Reports on Counter-ISIL Fight, Condemns Attack on Turkey AFPS 22 Aug 2016 -- Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said today that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has been degraded and methodically dismantled in Iraq and Syria as a result of Defense Secretary Ash Carter's strategic consolidation last summer of the coalition military campaign plan under a single command.
- US Commander Warns Moscow, Damascus Against Operations Near American Positions Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- The US forces commander in Syria Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend says Moscow and Damascus have been informed about possible countermeasures should the coalition troops in Syria "feel threatened".
- U.S., Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Iraq, Syria AFPS 22 Aug 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Counter-ISIL Forces Continue Operations in Manbij AFPS 22 Aug 2016 -- The Syrian Arab Coalition and the Syrian Democratic Forces continue operations in Syria's Manbij City in the ongoing effort to clear the liberated city of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant fighters, identify and remove improvised bombs, and establish a defensive posture capable of thwarting an ISIL counterattack, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported yesterday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 22 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- US deploys 100 troops to south Afghanistan Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Around 100 US troops have been deployed to a southern city in Afghanistan which risks falling to the Taliban militants.
- About 100 US Troops Sent to Defend Afghan City of Lashkar Gah From Taliban Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- About 100 US servicemen will be be sent to the Afghan city of Lashkar Gah, capital of the southern Helmand province, in order to advise the Afghan police, according to media reports.
- Taliban militants seize district in NE Afghanistan Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Taliban militants in Afghanistan have captured an area in the northeastern province of Takhar following heavy clashes with security forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, South Korea begin massive military drill amid North warning Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Tens of thousands of troops from South Korea and the US have launched a massive military exercise, prompting North Korea to pledge retaliation against what it calls an invasion rehearsal.
- Secretary of the Navy Visits US, ROK Leaders in Korea NNS 22 Aug 2016 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus visited U.S. and Republic of Korea civilian and military leaders during a visit to Seoul, Aug. 18-20.
- S.Korea, U.S. kick off joint annual war game despite DPRK's backlashes People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- South Korean and U.S. forces kicked off their joint annual war game on Monday despite strong backlashes from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- US, South Korea Begin Annual Military Drill Despite Threats from Pyongyang VOA 22 Aug 2016 -- South Korea and the United States have begun their annual joint military exercise under the threat of military retaliation by North Korea.
- US Plans to Deploy 16 F-35 Fighter Jets in Japan in 2017 Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- The Japanese government informed the city of Iwakuni in Yamaguchi Prefecture that the United States plans to deploy 10 Lockheed Martin F-35 fighters at the US military base located in the prefecture in January and another six combat jets in August next year, Japanese media reported Monday.
- F-35 prepared to undergo chemical, biological decontamination testing AFNS 22 Aug 2016 -- After years of preparation, the 461st Flight Test Squadron and Joint Strike Fighter Integrated Test Force are ready to test the F-35 Lightning II's ability to be decontaminated from chemical and biological weapons exposure.
- Pacific Endeavor Exercise Tests New Communications Capability AFPS 22 Aug 2016 -- Nearly 250 military communication experts from more than 20 Pacific partner nations are participating in Exercise Pacific Endeavor 2016 here, learning first-hand the importance of speed and interoperability of communication assets when responding to a multinational crisis.
- USS Fort Worth Departs Singapore for San Diego NNS 22 Aug 2016 -- Littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) departed Changi Naval Base in Singapore Aug. 22, beginning a transit across the Pacific Ocean to her San Diego homeport.
- Bonhomme Richard ESG Departs Okinawa, Begins Training, Certification Exercises NNS 22 Aug 2016 -- Ships of the Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) departed Okinawa, Japan, Aug. 21, beginning their fall 2016 deployment.
- SEACAT Enhances Cooperative Maritime Security Between Navies in Southeast Asia NNS 22 Aug 2016 -- The 15th annual Southeast Asia Cooperation and Training (SEACAT) exercise commenced at the Republic of Singapore Navy's Multinational Operations and Exercises Centre (MOEC) Aug 22.
- Lithuanian-Latvian-German Joint Naval Drills Continue in Lithuania Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- BALTRON SQUADEX II-16 exercises, naval military drills, involving warships from Lithuania, Latvia and Germany will take place in Lithuanian territorial waters, according to the statement of the Lithuanian Defense Ministry.
- Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Prepares for Syria Deployment Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- The Russian military detachment deployed to Syria to fight against Daesh (the terrorist group also known as ISIL/ISIS) may soon be bolstered by the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier.
- Russian Plane With AWACS-Styled Radar to Make Maiden Flight in 2018 Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- Russia's first plane with a long-range surveillance and control system will make its maiden flight in 2018, the local media cited a military source as saying Monday.
- US, Ukraine Inspectors to Fly Over Russia Under Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- US and Ukrainian inspectors will fly over Russian territories this week under the Open Skies Treaty, the acting head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Nuclear Risk Reduction Center said.
- Chinese fleet returns from RIMPAC 2016 drill People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- A Chinese fleet participating in the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) multinational naval exercises returned to a military port in Zhoushan City in east China on Monday.
- Xi bestows honors on 2 military units People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping announced Sunday two military units will receive honorary titles for their outstanding service. Xi is concurrently the chairman of China's Central Military Commission.
- Japan Considering Building New Ships to Patrol Disputed East China Sea Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- According to local media reports, Japanese government is considering building several new ships to patrol areas near the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea.
- Japan Bolsters the Lethality of its F-15 Fighter Jets Amid Tensions With China Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- As Japan prepares to officially announce its record-high $51.7 billion military budget proposal, it seeks to double the payload of its 200 F-15 jet fighters in an attempt to cool down Chinese military presence near southern Japanese islands.
- DPRK FM Spokesman Lashes at Ulji Freedom Guardian KCNA 22 Aug 2016 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry made public the following statement Monday:
- Spokesman for KPA General Staff Clarifies Principled Stand on Nuclear War Drill against DPRK KCNA 22 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet forces started the largest-ever joint military drill Ulji Freedom Guardian on August 22.
- DPRK warns of preemptive strikes as U.S.-South Korea war games kick off People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) warned Monday that its military is "fully ready to mount a preemptive retaliatory strike" as South Korea and the Untied States are conducting joint military exercises.
- Iran to Mass Produce Bavar-373 Air Defense System Once Tests End in March 2017 Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- Iran's Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan stated that various components of the Iranian Bavar-373 long-range air defense systems had already been tested and the system had been transferred to a launch site for further tests.
- Russia may resume Syria operations from Iran airbase: Envoy Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- The Russian ambassador to Iran says Russia's Aerospace Forces may resume operations against terrorists in Syria from an Iranian airbase upon a decision by the two countries' officials.
- Hsuehshan Tunnel to be closed for military exercises CNA 22 Aug 2016 -- The Hsuehshan Tunnel on the No. 5 National Freeway will be closed from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday for Taiwan's annual Han Kuang military exercises, according to the National Freeway Bureau.
- August 22, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Aug 2016
- Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 8/22/2016 The White House 22 Aug 2016
- 22 August 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Aug 2016
- Yemenis launch retaliatory attacks on Saudi positions in Najran region Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah fighters have launched fresh retaliatory attacks against Saudi Arabia, targeting military positions with mortar shells in Najran area south of the kingdom.
- Yemen ready to open bases to Russia to fight terrorism: Ex-President Saleh Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Yemen's former President Ali Abdullah Saleh says the new government in the country is ready to cooperate with Russia against terrorism by allowing Russian access to Yemeni military bases.
- More than 3 million displaced in Yemen - joint UN agency report UN News 22 Aug 2016 -- A joint report by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) has found that the conflict in Yemen has resulted in the displacement of some 3,154,572 people, of which 2,205,102 remain displaced across the country and some 949,470 have attempted to return home.
- Saudi Arabia hits another school in Yemen Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Saudi pilots have launched yet another airstrike on a school in the Yemeni province of Ta'izz, with no information immediately available on possible casualties.
- Syria Mission Complete: Russian Air Force Returns From Iran's Hamadan Airfield Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- Russian aircraft involved in airstrikes against the Daesh jihadist group last week have returned home from western Iran after successfully completing their tasks, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said Monday.
- Set differences aside and end 'humanitarian shame' in Syria, UN aid chief tells Security Council UN News 22 Aug 2016 -- Stressing the need for a 48-hour pause to the fighting in the Syrian city of Aleppo, the United Nations humanitarian chief today urged the United States and Russia to rapidly reach agreement on the security guarantees and operational modalities for a ceasefire there so aid workers can deliver life-saving assistance to those in desperate need.
- Russia Stops Using Iran's Hamadan Airbase - Iranian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- According to a spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Russia has stopped the use of Iran's Hamadan airbase.
- FM spokesman: Temporary use of Iranian airbase for Russia ended IRNA 22 Aug 2016 -- Temporary use of Iranian airbase for anti-terrorism mission by Russian jetfighters ended, Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi said on Monday.
- Iran: Russian use of Iran air base ends ISNA 22 Aug 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said that Russian use of Iranian air base in Hamedan Province, western Iran has ended by now.
- Iran Says Russia's Use Of Air Base Has Ended 'For Now' RFE/RL 22 Aug 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry says Russia's use of a military base in Hamadan for striking targets in Syria has ended for now.
- Turkish FM: Border With Syria Must be 'Cleansed' of Islamic State VOA 22 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Monday the country's border region with Syria must be "completely cleansed" of the Islamic State militant group.
- Kurdish forces breach truce with government in Syria's Hasakah Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Kurdish forces in the Syrian city of Hasakah have violated a ceasefire agreement they had struck with Syrian army forces hours earlier.
- Israeli warplanes strike target in Syria's Golan Heights Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Israeli jets have carried out an airstrike in Syria's Golan Heights, claiming that the attack was in retaliation for stray fire from Syrian fighting factions that landed inside Israel.
- Libya parliament votes against UN-backed government Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- The UN-backed government in Libya faces a major blow as lawmakers in the internationally-recognized parliament reject the cabinet.
- Clashes with PKK kill Turkey army soldier, injure three policemen Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- One Turkish soldier has been killed and three police officers injured in clashes with militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in southeastern Turkey.
- U.S. Humanitarian Assistance for South Sudan US Dept. of State 22 Aug 2016
- Additional Funding for Kenya and Somalia US Dept. of State 22 Aug 2016
- Nigeria: With thousands in urgent need, UN health agency scales up emergency response UN News 22 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) is ramping up its response in north-eastern Nigeria, where initial assessments have revealed urgent health problems among populations in areas formerly held by Boko Haram insurgents.
- 'Pressure' on Palestinian households to move raises risk of forcible transfers - UN official UN News 22 Aug 2016 -- A senior United Nations official has cautioned that many Palestinian communities in the occupied West Bank are facing a heightened risk of forcible transfer as there has been a recent surge in the number of demolitions in the area.
- As ICC trial opens, Malian extremist admits guilt to destroying historic sites in Timbuktu UN News 22 Aug 2016 -- An alleged Malian Islamist accused of destroying historical and religious monuments in the fabled city of Timbuktu pleaded guilty in the first-ever international war crimes trial focusing on destruction of cultural heritage, the International Criminal Court (ICC) announced on the opening day of the landmark case, which was welcomed by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
- Trump 'could be puppet for the Kremlin': Clinton campaign Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- The campaign manager of US Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton says Republican candidate Donald Trump "could be puppet for the Kremlin."
- Philippino FM says Manila will remain in UN Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- The Philippines plays down President Rodrigo Duterte's threats to leave the United Nations while it reiterates the country's "profound disappointment and frustration" with the world body.
- 'New Wave of Reprisals' Against Azerbaijani Opposition Party RFE/RL 22 Aug 2016 -- Having failed to persuade key defendants in the so-called "Nardaran trial" to implicate Azerbaijan Popular Front Party (AHCP) Chairman Ali Kerimli in an alleged plot by Islamic extremists to incite mass disturbances with a view to seizing power, the Azerbaijani authorities have now changed tack.
- Runner Fears for Life After Showing Solidarity with Ethiopian Protesters VOA 22 Aug 2016 -- As Feyisa Lilesa of Ethiopia reached the finish line at the Rio Olympics marathon Sunday, he crossed his wrists above his head while clenching his fists, making a symbol that has become the rallying cry for protests across the Oromia regions in Ethiopia.
- Interview: Xi's upcoming meeting with Obama expected to enhance mutual trust: Chinese ambassador People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's forthcoming meeting with his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama is expected to enhance mutual trust, widen win-win cooperation and deliver guidance for management on differences between China and the United States.
- Loving Care for People, Source of DPRK's Invincibility KCNA 22 Aug 2016 -- Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the DPRK, is a peerless patriot who has created a new history of national prosperity with his loving care for the people.
- DPRK Red Cross Society Sends Letter to S. Korean Red Cross KCNA 22 Aug 2016 -- The Central Committee of the DPRK Red Cross Society sent the following letter to the south Korean Red Cross Monday:
- IRGC dismantles terror cells beyond borders: Commander Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has busted up to four anti-Islamic Republic terrorist groups beyond the Iranian border, a senior commander says.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|