25 July 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 25 Jul 2016 [PDF]
- Press Briefing by Secretary Carter and Gen. Dunford in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 25 Jul 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter; Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Joseph F. Dunford
- Counter-ISIL Meetings Came At Critical Time, Carter Says AFPS 25 Jul 2016 -- Important initiatives to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant that evolved from last week's counter-ISIL coalition meetings came at a critical time in light of recent events, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told reporters today.
- Dunford Lists Ways to Measure Counter-ISIL Success AFPS 25 Jul 2016 -- Territory, resources and foreign fighters are the measurements the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will use to measure progress against the "physical caliphate" that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has declared in Iraq and Syria.
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL in Iraq, Syria AFPS 25 Jul 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 Jul 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Civilian casualties in Afghanistan at record high: UN Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations has warned that civilian casualties have topped a record high this year in Afghanistan, describing the figure as "alarming and shameful."
- Afghan civilian casualties hit half-year record, with 5,166 dead or maimed - UN UN News 25 Jul 2016 -- In the first six months of this year, 5,166 civilians were either killed or maimed in Afghanistan, a half-year record since counting began in 2009, a United Nations report published today shows.
- Record Number of Civilians Killed, Maimed in Afghanistan VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- More than 5,100 civilians, including some 1,500 children, have been killed in Afghanistan in just the first six months of this year, the United Nations reported Monday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U-2 returns to Red Flag AFNS 25 Jul 2016 -- The 9th Reconnaissance Wing is taking part in Red Flag 16-3, which is nothing new, as the wing regularly supports Red Flag exercises. What makes this Red Flag different is they are operating from Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and not from their home station of Beale AFB, California.
- HMH-361 participates in Exercise Chura-Shima Rescue 2016 USMC News 25 Jul 2016 -- Marines with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 361, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing currently deployed with 1st Marine Aircraft Wing as part of the unit deployment program, worked alongside the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force and Okinawa emergency services in Exercise Chura-Shima Rescue 2016 July 21, aboard Camp Naha, Okinawa Japan.
- USS Makin Island Excels in Aviation Maintenance Inspection NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- The Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department (AIMD) aboard amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) passed the Aviation Maintenance Inspection (AMI), with a score of 100 percent.
- Rapid Littoral Survey Support at RIMPAC 2016 NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- At Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2016, Fleet Survey Team (FST) conducted near-shore surveys of three areas off the Hawaiian island of Oahu, July 15, to assess water depths and obstructions that could endanger operations and humanitarian assistance in a post-natural disaster scenario.
- Team Vinson Kicks Off TSTA/FEP NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- Aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) recently departed its homeport of San Diego to begin the Tailored Ship's Training Availability/Final Evaluation Problem (TSTA/FEP) certification period.
- Sea Breeze 2016 Opening Ceremony Held in Odessa, Ukraine NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- Military leaders and maritime forces from participating nations attended the Sea Breeze 2016 opening ceremony in Odessa, Ukraine, July 24.
- Navy Conducts First LCS Harpoon Missile Test at RIMPAC NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- Littoral combat ship USS Coronado (LCS 4) successfully executed the first live-fire over-the-horizon missile test using a Harpoon Block IC missile, July 19, during the Navy's Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise.
- Ukrainian Navy Demonstrates Air Capabilities for Sea Breeze 2016 NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- Ukrainian naval forces participated in the Sea Breeze 2016 air component demonstration at the Kulbakino Air Base in Mykolaiv, Ukraine, July 22.
- PANAMAX Exercise Begins at Naval Station Mayport NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/U.S. 4th Fleet (USNAVSO/FOURTHFLT) kicked off this year's the annual PANAMAX Military Exercise (PANAMAX), hosting more than 320 U.S. and partner nation personnel participating in the exercise from July 25 to Aug. 4.
- USS Ross Conducts Port Visit in Odessa, Ukraine NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Ross (DDG 71) pulled into Odessa, Ukraine, July 23 for a scheduled port call as part of Sea Breeze 2016.
- USNS Montford Point, USNS Dahl Demonstrate Seabasing Capability NNS 25 Jul 2016 -- Military Sealift Command's (MSC) expeditionary transfer dock USNS Montford Point (T-ESD 1) and maritime prepositioning force (MPF) ship USNS Dahl (T-AKR 312) performed a "skin-to-skin" (S2S) maneuver to demonstrate MSC's unique seabasing capability, July 21-22.
- National security requires modernized nuclear deterrence AFNS 25 Jul 2016 -- The Air Force's deputy chief of staff for strategic deterrence and nuclear integration stressed the importance of nuclear deterrence and the need for nuclear modernization July 21 at an Air Force Association breakfast at the Key Bridge Marriott Hotel in Arlington, Virginia.
- Obama attacks 'unprepared' Trump over NATO remarks Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- US President Barack Obama says Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's recent remarks about the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) indicate his "lack of preparedness" on foreign policy.
- Bulgaria accuses Russia of increasingly violating NATO airspace Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Bulgaria has claimed a rise in violations of its airspace by Russian military and commercial aircraft, calling it provocative.
- Moscow Denies Bulgaria's Claims of Violating NATO Airspace by Russian Planes Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry dismissed Sophia's claims of Russian planes allegedly violating NATO airspace over the Black Sea.
- Russian Navy Creates Spetsnaz Units to Hunt for Enemy Saboteurs Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Two special units are being created as a part of Russia's Naval Fleet which are designed to detect the enemy saboteurs in Russia's coastal and littoral waters as well as undertake reconnaissance in an enemy-controlled territory, izvestia.ru reported.
- South Korea, US to Conceal THAAD Radar Data With Japan Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Seoul and Washington will not share with Tokyo the data obtained via the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system to be deployed by the United States in South Korea, Yonhap reported on Monday, citing a government source.
- China releases footage concerning ballistic missile defense system test People's Daily 25 Jul 2016 -- Chinese authorities have released footage of the first-ever test authorities conducted for ballistic missile interception system 6-years ago.
- China airs footage of 1st ballistic missile interception test Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- China has released a footage of its first interception test for mid-course ballistic missile defense system in 2010.
- Chinese media focuses on anti-missile tests in wake of THAAD deployment plan People's Daily 25 Jul 2016 -- In response to the scheduled THAAD deployment in South Korea, Chinese state media has recently been reporting on China's anti-missile tests and the nation's missile defense system.
- Iran unveils tactical helicopter mobile simulator ISNA 25 Jul 2016 -- Iran unveiled mobile simulator of Tow missile (209 tactical helicopter) in a ceremony attended by Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad-Reza Pourdastan.
- Iran allows no country to decide on its missile program: Def. Min. Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic will not allow any country to make decisions on its missile program.
- Defense minister: Iran's missile program, agenda of national defense IRNA 25 Jul 2016 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan said on Monday that Iran's missile program is the agenda of national defense and the US or other states cannot take stand against Iranian defense rights.
- Greece Launches Nearly $142Mln Upgrade of Orion Surveillance Aircraft Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- The Greek Navy has started upgrading four Orion P-3B maritime surveillance aircraft.
- Afghan Security Adviser to Discuss Russia's Mi-35 Deliveries Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Afghan National Security Adviser Hanif Atmar told Sputnik on Monday he planned to discuss Russian arms and Mi-35 helicopter deliveries with Russian Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev on Tuesday.
- Slovakia Set to Acquire 30 Advanced Tanks from Poland Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- The long-time Russian ally looks to one of Moscow's biggest adversaries to upgrade its land-based weapons capabilities.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 7/25/16 The White House 25 Jul 2016
- July 25, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Jul 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for July 25, 2016
- China Unveils World's Largest Amphibious Aircraft Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- China's new amphibious aircraft has rolled off the production line in the city of Zhuhai on Saturday. The AG600 is seen as a milestone in the country's aviation sector.
- 25 July 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Jul 2016
- Kerry urges ASEAN unity in South China Sea dispute Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has urged Southeast Asian nations to explore diplomatic ways to ease tensions with China over the South China Sea following an international court ruling rejecting China's territorial claims.
- ASEAN breaks deadlock in China's favor Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- China has scored a diplomatic victory after Southeast Asia nations did not fulfill a demand by the Philippines to mention a recent ruling on the South China Sea dispute in their final statement.
- ASEAN Avoids Assertive Joint Statement on Beijing's South China Sea Claims Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) released a delayed joint statement on Monday that urged nations in the region to exercise self-restraint without making direct reference to their territorial row with China.
- China Warns Japan: Stay Out of the South China Sea Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- China on Sunday called on Japan to restrain from intervening in the South China Sea issue as it is not directly concerned in the dispute and has no right to accuse other states, considering its "shameful" history.
- Security, South China Sea Dominate ASEAN Meetings in Laos VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- The importance of adhering to the Philippines-China arbitration ruling on the South China Sea by the Hague, and upholding international law was emphasized by attendees during a separate ministerial meeting between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United States.
- Yemen ballistic missile 'kills dozens of Saudi troops' Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Dozens of Saudi troops have reportedly been killed and injured in a retaliatory ballistic missile attack by Yemen against a military base in Saudi Arabia's southwestern region of Jizan.
- US-backed Forces Close to Pushing Back IS from Syria's Manbij VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- U.S.-backed Syrian forces are closing in on Islamic State (IS) militants inside the town of Manbij in Syria's northern province of Aleppo.
- US Aid Chief Asks Security Council to Support Pauses in Syrian Fighting VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations aid chief has called on the Security Council to support establishing a weekly, 48-hour pause in fighting for the Syrian city of Aleppo, so that life-saving aid can reach 250,000 Syrians trapped behind the front lines.
- Russia calls plans for regime change in Syria 'villainy' Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has strongly rejected any rhetoric on regime change in Syria, saying that the calls for toppling the government of President Bashar al-Assad come from narrow-minded or villainous people.
- Syrian Army Regains Control of Strategic Pipeline From Daesh Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- The Syrian Army has taken control of strategic points along the line of an oil pipeline in al-Badia.
- Syria: UN aid chief calls for weekly, 48-hour humanitarian truce in Aleppo UN News 25 Jul 2016 -- Citing the alarming humanitarian conditions across Syria, the United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator today urged fresh momentum and action to protect civilians and ensure sustained aid access "before it's too late," including through the establishment of a weekly, 48-hour pause of fighting in eastern Aleppo, where food supplies are expected to run out next month.
- Iraqi FM calls on Arab states to pressure Turkey into recalling troops Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari has called on Arab states to pressure Turkey into withdrawing its forces deployed in Iraq.
- Security Council extends mandate of UN Iraq Mission for one year UN News 25 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today adopted a resolution extending the mandate of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) for another year, until 31 July 2017.
- Bombing kills 18, injures 23 in eastern Iraq Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- At least 18 people have lost their lives and 23 others sustained injuries in a powerful explosion in a town in Iraq's eastern province of Diyala near the border with Iran.
- Iraqi forces kill senior Daesh commander near Shirqat Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Iraqi security forces have killed a senior commander of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in Iraq's northern Salahuddin Province.
- Iraq's Bogus Bomb Detectors to Finally Be Banned Following Baghdad Blast Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has announced that the country's security forces will stop using the so-called "bomb detectors" that up until now have failed to prevent detonations across the country.
- Libya's UN-Backed Unity Government Summons French Envoy VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- Libya's U.N.-brokered "unity" government summoned the French ambassador Monday following a weekend of protests in Tripoli and elsewhere in the strife-torn North African country against the presence of French commandos.
- Philippine leader declares unilateral ceasefire with rebels Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has declared a unilateral ceasefire with Maoist rebels, saying he wants to end decades of hostilities with the communist guerrillas.
- UN envoy condemns Israel's decision to continue settlement expansion in occupied West Bank UN News 25 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations senior official coordinating efforts toward the peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict today strongly condemned the recent decision by Israeli authorities to advance plans to build some 770 housing units in the settlement of Gilo, located on occupied Palestinian land between Bethlehem and East Jerusalem.
- UN agency condemns Israel's closures in Hebron as 'collective punishment' UN News 25 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations relief agency charged with the well-being of Palestinian refugees has said that a closure imposed by Israeli authorities in Hebron district is creating serious challenges for humanitarian access, including the delivery of medical supplies, the removal of refuse, and the daily movement of the agency's staff working inside refugee camp.
- Pakistan Ready to Inaugurate Rebuilt Busy Afghan Border Crossing VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- Pakistan plans to inaugurate its newly built gate at a busy border crossing with Afghanistan on August 1, allowing authorities to effectively monitor and discourage illegal movement in either direction, officials said Monday.
- PKK bombing kills three soldiers in southeast Turkey Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- At least three Turkish police officers have lost their lives in a roadside bomb attack carried out by the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the embattled southeastern province of Mardin.
- Top US General: Turkish Media Report 'Absurd' VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- The top U.S. military general has denounced a report by a Turkish daily alleging that a former U.S. commander had organized the failed military coup in Turkey, calling the article "absurd."
- The Gulen Movement's Collision Course With The Turkish State RFE/RL 24 Jul 2016 -- Since Turkey's failed July 15 coup, the Turkish authorities have accused U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen of being behind the attempted takeover of power. It is an explanation that is widely accepted across Turkey. A brief look at the history of Gulen's movement helps explain why.
- Turkey Issues Arrest Warrants For 42 Journalists RFE/RL 25 Jul 2016 -- Turkish authorities have issued arrest warrants for 42 journalists, the latest in a widening crackdown that followed a failed military coup, television news channels reported on July 25.
- Turkish Chief of Staff Says Coup Plotters Tried to Make Him Talk to Gulen Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Turkish Chief of Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar said that the putschists tried to force him to speak to Turkish opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, who Ankara suspects of being behind the recent coup attempt.
- Turkey-US Ties to Be Affected If US Refuses to Extradite Cleric Gulen - FM Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu warned on Monday that relations between the United States and Turkey could deteriorate over the extradition of opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, who Ankara suspects to be the mastermind behind the recent coup attempt.
- Ankara to Prosecute Companies With Links to Gulen - Trade Minister Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Turkey will prosecute local companies associated with US-based dissident Muslim cleric Muhammed Fethullah Gulen, Turkish Minister of Customs and Trade Bulent Tufenkci said.
- Daesh claims deadly attack in Germany's Ansbach Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the latest attack on people in southern Germany, saying the attacker, believed to be a Syrian refugee, was a recruit fighting for the Takfiri group.
- Suicide Bomber In Germany 'Pledged Allegiance' To Islamic State RFE/RL 25 Jul 2016 -- Bavaria's top security official says a Syrian asylum seeker who blew himself up late on July 24 outside of a music festival in the southern German town of Ansbach had "pledged allegiance" to militants who call themselves Islamic State (IS).
- IS Claims Responsibility for Attack in Bavaria VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- A 27-year old Syrian migrant who set off an explosion killing himself and wounding at least a dozen people in Ansbach, Germany was a "soldier" of Islamic State (IS), according to the militant group's Amaq news agency.
- FBI, Congress To Probe Possible Russian Link To DNC E-Mail Hack RFE/RL 25 Jul 2016 -- The top Democrat on the U.S. House Intelligence Committee says the committee has been briefed on a reported hack into the Democratic National Committee's e-mail system and would seek information about the origin of the attack - including a possible connection to Russia or other countries.
- Trump Retorts Claims Russia Orchestrated New DNC Leaks as 'New Joke in Town' Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- US Republican nominee Donald Trump mocked Hillary Clinton's campaign for claiming Russia was behind the damning leak of US Democratic National Committee's (DNC) emails in a bid to help him into the White House.
- Xi calls on China, U.S. to respect each other's core interests People's Daily 25 Jul 2016 -- President Xi Jinping on Monday called on China and the United States to effectively handle differences and respect each other's core interests.
- China Sentences Former Top General to Life in Prison VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- China's former top general has been sentenced to life in prison on bribery charges, a move that comes as President Xi Jinping attempts to consolidate power and tighten his grip on the world's largest military.
- Former Chinese military official given life sentence for corruption Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- A military court has sentenced former top Chinese army official, Guo Boxiong, to life in jail for corruption and abuse of power.
- Damage Caused by Heavy Rain in DPRK KCNA 25 Jul 2016 -- It rained heavily in North Phyongan Province and other parts of the DPRK from July 22 to 24.
- Economic Achievements Made in DPRK KCNA 25 Jul 2016 -- Signal achievements have been made in various economic sectors of the DPRK in 50 days after the start of the 200-day campaign, a drive launched to significantly adorn this year that witnessed the 7th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- West Sea Fleet of KPA Navy Warns Enemies against Military Moves in Hotspot Waters in West Sea KCNA 25 Jul 2016 -- The West Sea Fleet of the Navy of the Korean People's Army (KPA) Monday released the following report:
- U.S. Will Meet Doom If It Ignites Second Korean War: Spokesman for Foreign Ministry of DPRK KCNA 25 Jul 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement on Monday:
- Iran free to counter betrayals of JCPOA, says Velayati IRNA 25 Jul 2016 -- We feel free to give a proportionate response to betrayals by P5+1 country, particularly the United States, regarding implementation of the JCPOA, says Ali-Akbar Velayati.
- Sturgeon vows to protect Scotland's interests in EU Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says Scotland needs to keep "all options open" to protect the nation's place and interests in the European Union following the June 23 referendum to leave the bloc.
- Scotland's Independence From UK Only Option to Ensure Post-Brexit Certainty Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Monday that the country's independence from the United Kingdom could be the option that would ensure certainty and stability after Brexit.
- India Hopes Nepal PM Resignation Will Pave Way for Warmer Ties VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- India hopes the resignation of Nepal's Prime Minister, K.P. Oli, will pave the way for a restoration of warm ties with New Delhi.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|