20 June 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 20 Jun 2016 [PDF]
- Statement by Secretary Carter on Poland's Decision to Expand Campaign Against ISIL DoD 20 Jun 2016
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on New Zealand's Decision to Extend Its Role in the Counter-ISIL Coalition DoD 20 Jun 2016
- Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 20 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Truman Launches 2,000th Sortie In Support of OIR NNS 20 Jun 2016 -- Aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) reached another deployment milestone, launching its 2,000th aircraft mission in support of Operation Inherent Resolve, June 19.
- UN strongly condemns series of attacks in Afghanistan UN News 20 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) today expressed grave concern about a series of deadly attacks across Afghanistan, reiterating its call for anti-Government elements, including the Taliban, to immediately cease all attacks in civilian-populated areas and stop targeting civilians, including diplomatic facilities and personnel.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan fail to reach border deal Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- Officials from Pakistan and Afghanistan have reportedly failed to reach an agreement on how to manage the porous border between the two countries.
- Suicide Bomber Kills 14 Canadian Embassy Guards In Kabul RFE/RL 20 Jun 2016 -- Afghanistan's Interior Ministry says 14 Nepalese security guards have been killed by a Taliban suicide bomber who targeted their minibus in the Afghan capital Kabul.
- Senior Pakistani, Afghan Officials Hold Crucial Border Dispute Talks VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- Pakistan, in talks with Afghanistan, has reiterated that "effective management" of their shared border is vital for efforts aimed at countering terrorism, promoting peace and strengthening bilateral relations.
- Bomb Blasts Kill 24 in Afghanistan VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- Separate bomb explosions in Afghanistan Monday morning killed at least 24 people and wounded around 40 others.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Michael Murphy Sorties to Conduct MEDEVAC NNS 20 Jun 2016 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Michel Murphy (DDG 112) conducted an emergency medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) June 19 to assist a Sailor in need of medical attention aboard guided-missile destroyer USS Shoup (DDG 86).
- 433rd AW becomes first Reserve wing to get new C-5M AFNS 20 Jun 2016 -- The saying "history repeats itself" has become all too familiar to the 433rd Airlift Wing, as hundreds of Airmen and distinguished guests gathered along the flightline here June 17 to welcome the wing's first C-5M Super Galaxy, named "The City of San Antonio."
- Carter Describes Security Networks' Role in Confronting Threats AFPS 20 Jun 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter discussed the importance of establishing and maintaining security networks with partner nations to confront global threats during a speech to the Center for a New American Security here today.
- Carter: Fanning Works to Strengthen Army Amid Global Challenges AFPS 20 Jun 2016 -- It is an honor to welcome Army Secretary Eric Fanning to the job, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today, saying he is an experienced leader who is working to strengthen the force as it confronts evolving security challenges.
- Navy, Air Force Participate In Air Defense Exercise NNS 20 Jun 2016 -- Units from the Navy's Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15, Commander Task Force (CTF) 70, and the Air Force's 18th Wing participated in a joint air defense exercise, June 20.
- Ellsworth unit executes first-ever MQ-9 participation in AF virtual exercise AFNS 20 Jun 2016 -- The 432nd Attack Squadron achieved another remotely piloted aircraft first last month by using an MQ-9 Reaper flight simulator in Virtual Flag, the Air Force's largest virtual warfighting exercise.
- Kentucky ANG Airmen help renovate school in Moldova AFNS 20 Jun 2016 -- Airmen from the Kentucky Air National Guard in partnership with officials from Moldova and U.S. European Command started a humanitarian project here June 3 that's expected to last several weeks.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Israeli Minister of Defense Avigdor Lieberman DoD 20 Jun 2016
- U.S. Marines, Allies defend Baltic Sea during crisis scenario USMC News 20 Jun 2016 -- Approximately 200 U.S. Marines conducted combat enhancement and foreign integration training as part of an exercise in the Baltics, June 6-8, 2016.
- Japanese officer exchange program enhances U.S., Japan interoperability USMC News 20 Jun 2016 -- Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force aviation officer cadets visited Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, as part of the Japanese Officer Exchange Program hosted by Marine Aircraft Group 12 June 17, 2016.
- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 314 finishes exercise Red Flag-Alaska 16-2 USMC News 20 Jun 2016 -- U.S. Marines with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 314, stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, conclude exercise Red Flag-Alaska 16-2 June 17, 2016, after completing multiple missions during two weeks of large-force air-to-air and surface-to-air simulated combat training at Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska.
- Truman Strike Group Arrives in Greece NNS 20 Jun 2016 -- Four ships from the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group are conducting port visits in Greece to enhance U.S.-Greece relations as the two nations work together for a stable, secure and prosperous Europe.
- Truman Traps 9,000th Aircraft of Deployment NNS 20 Jun 2016 -- The flight deck of aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) tallied its 9,000th arrested landing with the trap of an F/A-18C Super Hornet, assigned to the "Rampagers" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 83, June 16.
- Makin Island ARG Completes Group Sail NNS 20 Jun 2016 -- The Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group completed Group Sail off the coast of Southern California, June 17.
- U.S., NATO Allies conduct large-scale exercise to defend Baltics USMC News 20 Jun 2016 -- A multinational force including U.S. Marines partnered together for a large-scale NATO exercise in the Baltics demonstrating their ability to defend the alliance.
- NATO launches anti-submarine warfare exercise in Norwegian Sea NATO 20 Jun 2016 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg marked the launch of NATO's anti-submarine warfare exercise "Dynamic Mongoose" in a visit to Trondheim, Norway on Monday (20 June 2016). The exercise, focused on detecting and defending against submarines, runs for ten days.
- NATO Launches Annual Anti-Submarine Warfare Drills Off Norwegian Coast Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- NATO launched its annual anti-submarine training drills "Dynamic Mongoose" in the Norwegian Sea on Monday, the press service of the alliance said.
- Russia's Ivan Gren Landing Ship Arrives in Baltic Sea Port for Testing Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- The Ivan Gren landing ship has arrived in the Russian port of Baltiysk for testing before it goes into service with the Russian navy later this year, Rossiyskaya Gazeta reported.
- New Zealand Extends Iraqi Army Training Mission Till 2018 Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- Wellington agreed to extend the troops deployment term to Iraq within the anti-Daesh military operation, the press service of the country's Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Navy to earmark NT$470 billion for shipbuilding projects CNA 20 Jun 2016 -- The Navy is slated to allocate NT$470 billion (US$14.59 billion) for 12 shipbuilding projects during the 2018-2040 period, Navy Command Headquarters Chief of Staff Vice Adm. Mei Chia-shu (梅家樹) said Monday.
- Afghan Parliament Confirms New Defense Minister, Intelligence Chief RFE/RL 20 Jun 2016 -- Afghanistan's parliament has approved President Ashraf Ghani's nominees for defense minister and intelligence director - two crucial posts that have been vacant for months while the country tries to battle rising militancy.
- June 20, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 20 Jun 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/20/2016 The White House 20 Jun 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for June 20, 2016
- Aging Russian-Ukrainian An-124 May Be Replaced With Russian Cargo Jet Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- The Russian Ulyanovsk-based Aviastar-SP aircraft maker, which is part of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), may design a new Russian transport aircraft in place of the Russian-Ukrainian Antonov An-124 Ruslan heavy strategic airlift jet, the company's managing director said.
- Russia's Aviastar-SP to Produce Elements for 2nd Il-112 Plane in 2016 Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- According to the managing director of aircraft-maker Aviastar-SP, Russian Ulyanovsk-based Aviastar-SP aircraft-maker will produce elements for the second experimental Il-112 light military transport aircraft prototype before the end of 2016.
- African, Asian States Interested in Buying Modernized Russian Il-76 Planes Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- According to the managing director of aircraft-maker Aviastar-SP, African and Asian states are expressing interest to procure Russia's Ilyushin Il-76-MD-90A heavy military transport aircraft.
- 20 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Jun 2016
- Global Forced Displacements Reach Record Breaking Levels VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- A new report says global forced displacement last year reached record breaking levels. To coincide with World Refugee Day, the U.N. refugee agency's Global Trends report finds conflict and persecution have triggered a sharp escalation in refugees and internally displaced people in 2015.
- 'Unprecedented' 65 million people displaced by war and persecution in 2015 - UN UN News 20 Jun 2016 -- The number of people displaced from their homes due to conflict and persecution last year exceeded 60 million for the first time in the United Nations' history, a tally greater than the population of the United Kingdom, or of Canada, Australia and New Zealand combined, says a new report released on World Refugee Day today.
- China condemns Indonesia's use of force in South China Sea People's Daily 20 Jun 2016 -- Chinese foreign ministry on Sunday strongly protested over Indonesia navy warships' harassment of Chinese fishermen in the South China Sea.
- Mercenaries, commanders fight over cash from Saudi Arabia Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- The Saudi-backed militants in Yemen have engaged in infighting with their commanders over the distribution of cash from Riyadh.
- US jets fail to stop Russian bombers over Syria: Report Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- American fighter jets have unsuccessfully tried to stop Russian bombers from striking US-backed militants in Syria, a new report claims.
- Turkey, US-led coalition kill 23 Daesh militants in Syria: Report Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- At least 23 Daesh militants have been killed by Turkish artillery fire and US airstrikes in northern Syria, a Turkish broadcaster claims.
- Russia's State TV Airs Evidence Of Russian Cluster Bombs In Syria RFE/RL 20 Jun 2016 -- Russia's state-run RT network has broadcast footage appearing to show Russian jets in Syria armed with cluster bombs, weapons which are widely condemned for their indiscriminate nature and which Moscow has denied using during its intervention in the five-year-old conflict.
- Iraqi forces start operation to liberate Anbar districts Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi forces have launched a new operation to liberate two districts in the embattled Anbar Province as part of a push to drive out Daesh terrorists.
- Iraqi Forces Take Control Over Railroad North of Fallujah Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi forces have taken control over a railway line in the northern part of the Fallujah city, most part of which was earlier liberated from Daesh, a commander of the Baghdad Operations Command said Monday.
- Iraqi Army Kills Daesh Security Service Head in Anbar Province Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi Defense Minister Khaled Obaidi said that the person in charge of the terrorist organization Daesh's security service was killed in a special operation carried out by the Iraqi army in Anbar province.
- UN relief wing foresees thousands more fleeing Fallujah amid ongoing fighting UN News 20 Jun 2016 -- More than 83,000 people have fled the besieged city of Fallujah and surrounding areas as of this past Saturday, and thousands more could still be on the move amid ongoing fighting, the United Nations relief wing has reported.
- Sudan summons UNAMID's chief over mandate extension Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- Sudan has summoned the head of the UN peacekeeping force in Darfur to protest the extension of its mission in the country.
- Central African Republic: UN humanitarian coordinator 'outraged' at attacks on aid vehicles UN News 20 Jun 2016 -- The interim United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in the Central African Republic (CAR), Dr. Michel Yao strongly condemned an armed attack on a Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) convoy transporting medicines and fuel from the capital, Bangui, to the south-eastern city of Bangassou on 17 June.
- Two civilians killed in Boko Haram attack on Nigerian village Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- At least two civilians have been killed and hundreds others pushed out of their homes after Boko Haram terrorists stormed a village in northeastern Nigeria, local residents say.
- Cluster Bombs Possibly Used in Sri Lanka Civil War Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- Cluster bombs banned in more than 100 countries could have been used during the last stages of the civil war in Sri Lanka, media reported Monday.
- With its Caliphate Faltering, Islamic State Rushes to Indoctrinate Children VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- Despite stinging military defeats and enormous financial strains, Islamic State (IS) is working to imprint a lasting legacy on children through increasing in-classroom training in areas it controls and an aggressive social media campaign.
- South Korea Warns of Islamic State Threat Against US Bases VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- South Korea is taking increased security measures to prevent a potential attack from the Islamic State (IS), after the country's intelligence agency warned that the terrorist group may be targeting both U.S. military installations and civilians on the Korean peninsula.
- Tunisia extends nationwide state of emergency for another month Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- Tunisia has extended for another month a nationwide state of emergency imposed across the North African country following a deadly bomb attack in November last year.
- Six Detained in Belgium in Connection with a Foiled Train Attack VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- Belgian police detained six people Monday in connection with an unsuccessful attack last year on a train enroute from Amsterdam to Paris.
- N. Korea Won't Discuss Releasing US Citizens if Bae Continues Criticism VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- North Korea will not negotiate the release of two American citizens under arrest unless former detainee and American missionary Kenneth Bae stops using what Pyongyang considers to be slanderous language about the country.
- KCNA Commentary Refutes Korean American Bae Jun Ho's False Propaganda KCNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Korean American Bae Jun Ho (Kenneth Bae) is now cursed and censured by public for renewing his false propaganda about the DPRK.
- North Korea rules out release of US detainees Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- North Korea says it will not consider releasing two jailed Americans unless former detainee Kenneth Bae stops "jabbering" against the government in Pyongyang.
- China Doesn't Consider India a Candidate for Nuclear Supplier's Club Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- China has said that the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) members are still divided on whether India should be permitted to join, and that Indian membership is not on the agenda for the Seoul meeting.
- Iran, Boeing ink MoU on purchase of aircraft IRNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Public relations of Iran Air, Iran's national flag airline carrier, announced on Monday that Iran and giant US aviation company Boeing have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for purchase of modern airplanes from Boeing.
- "Parchin's case has been closed" ISNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Spokesman of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said the case of Parchin site has been closed.
- Iran, China to resume talks on Arak reactor modernization Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- A senior Iranian official says Iran and China will resume negotiations on ways to modernize the Arak heavy water reactor.
- Violations against Rohingyas may amount to crimes against humanity: UN Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations (UN) has warned that widespread and ongoing human rights violations against Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims could amount to crimes against humanity.
- Myanmar must address 'serious' human rights violations against minorities - UN rights chief UN News 20 Jun 2016 -- Issuing a new report on the situation of minorities in Myanmar, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein has urged the Government to take concrete steps to end the "systemic discrimination" and ongoing human rights violations against minority communities, particularly the Rohingya Muslims in Rakhine state.
- Chechnya Schedules Preterm Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 20 Jun 2016 -- At the proposal of parliamentary speaker Magomed Daudov, Chechnya's 41 lawmakers voted unanimously on June 16 to dissolve the legislature and schedule preterm parliamentary elections for September 18, concurrently with elections for the new Russian State Duma and for the post of Chechen Republic head.
- Kremlin Has No Preferred Option in Rosneft Privatization Issue Sputnik 20 Jun 2016 -- Moscow has no preferences in the issue of Indian or Chinese investors' participation in the privatization of Russia's energy giant Rosneft, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday.
- Minister makes pitch to retain operations of obscure agency CNA 20 Jun 2016 -- Minister without Portfolio Lin Mei-chu said Monday that the Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs Commission (MTAC), which she heads, should be retained but can be merged with other government departments.
- Turkey Arrests 3 Advocates for Press Freedom VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- In what journalists rights groups call a further deterioration of press freedoms in Turkey, three prominent pro-media activists were arrested Monday on "terrorists' propaganda" charges, according to Turkish media reports.
- Bahrain revokes citizenship of top Shia cleric Press TV 20 Jun 2016 -- Bahrain has revoked the citizenship of the country's most senior Shia cleric, Sheikh Isa Qassim, a move which could further complicate the social unrest in the tiny Persian Gulf Arab state.
- US 'Alarmed' by Bahrain's Revocation of Top Shi'ite Cleric's Citizenship VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- The U.S. Department of State has expressed "alarm" over Bahrain's decision Monday to strip the citizenship of a leading Shi'ite cleric, a move that sparked new protests and fears of unrest.
- Venezuela Opposition Line Up to Support Recall of President VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- Supporters of Venezuela's opposition waited in long lines Monday to verify their signatures as part of a lengthy process to request a recall referendum against President Nicolas Maduro.
- Nigeria Devalues its Currency as Recession Looms VOA 20 Jun 2016 -- For months, President Muhammadu Buhari opposed devaluing Nigeria's currency, saying he wouldn't support having the naira "killed."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|