10 June 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 10 Jun 2016 [PDF]
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest and Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL, Brett McGurk The White House 10 Jun 2016
- Plenary Meeting of the Global Coalition to Counter-ISIL US Dept. of State 10 Jun 2016 -- As ISIL continues to lose territory and come under increasing pressure, ambassadors and ?senior diplomatic representatives from the 66-member Global Coalition to Counter ISIL gathered today for a plenary session at the State Department to review progress in the campaign, discuss further actions to defeat ISIL, and seek additional support for urgent humanitarian and immediate stabilization efforts in liberated areas.
- Islamic State Group in Decline, White House Envoy Contends VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- President Barack Obama's special envoy in the fight against Islamic State painted a portrait of the terrorist group as an organization in decline Friday, saying it had lost about 50 percent of its territory in Iraq, including access to the border region to Turkey.
- U.S., Coalition Continue Counter-ISIL Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Expansion of US Authority in Afghanistan Won't Prevent Troop Reduction Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- White House spokesperson Josh Earnest said that the new expansion of authority for US troops in Afghanistan will not prevent the United States from reducing its troop footprint inside the country to 5,500 personnel by the end of the year as planned.
- Afghanistan: UN condemns attack targeting civilians gathered for Friday prayers UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations envoy in Afghanistan today condemned an attack targeting civilians gathered for Friday prayers at the Hisarak Jami Mosque in Rodat district, in Nangarhar province.
- Obama Approves Wider US Military Role in Afghanistan VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has approved new authorities for U.S. forces in Afghanistan that loosen restrictions over airstrikes and give U.S. forces more flexibility in how they partner with Afghan troops.
- Obama gives go-ahead to more US military role in Afghanistan Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has allowed the American military to assume a bigger role in Afghanistan.
- Obama Approves Wider US Military Role in Afghanistan VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has approved a wider role for the U.S. military in Afghanistan to help local forces combat the Taliban.
- Bomb Attack on Afghan Mosque Kills 4; Dozens Wounded VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province say a powerful bomb explosion during a mosque prayer service killed at least four people and wounded dozens more.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at the Defense One Tech Summit DoD 10 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Edwards testing facility hosts first Canadian air force plane AFNS 10 Jun 2016 -- For the first time ever, a Royal Canadian Air Force plane has entered the Benefield Anechoic Facility, a state-of-the-art center for electronic warfare testing.
- Carter Stresses Importance of Innovation to Warfighters AFPS 10 Jun 2016 -- One theme of Defense Secretary Ash Carter's term in office has been ensuring the department gets warfighters what they need when they need it -- now and in the future.
- Task Force Koa Moana teaches non-lethal capabilities in Timor Leste USMC News 10 Jun 2016 -- Part of the U.S. Marine Corps' reputation as professional warriors come from the ability to understand and execute the ethically correct levels of force continuum, the fine lines and details that decide the amount of force required to handle any conflict with techniques ranging from verbal to lethal.
- Poland Offers NATO to Station Rotating Troops Near Border With Lithuania Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- The Polish authorities offered NATO to station troops in the Polish town of Suwalki, bordering Lithuania, on the rotation basis, media reported Friday.
- Poland Demands That Georgia Explain Its Refusal to Take Part in NATO Drills Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- Poland demands explanation from Georgia on Tbilisi's refusal to join the scheduled NATO Anaconda 2016 military exercises, Polish media reported Friday.
- Russia Vows Countermeasures After US Vessel Enters Black Sea Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- Months after Russian jets responded to the USS Donald Cook in the Baltic, a US destroyer is now testing the waters of the Black Sea.
- Russia May Launch Mass Production of New Ilya Muromets-Class Icebreakers Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- The new generation of Russia's diesel-electric icebreakers designed for the Russian Navy, the Ilya Muromets-class, can go into mass production, Rear Adm. Igor Zvarich, the Navy's technical department chief, said Friday.
- Two Crew Members Injured in Military Chopper Crash in Podgorica Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- Military helicopter crash in Podgorica on Friday left two crew members dead, local media reported.
- Mishap at India's Largest Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya, 2 Dead Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- A gas leak from the sewage treatment plant in the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya has claimed two lives. INS Vikramaditya has been undergoing a refit at the naval base in Karwar since June 1.
- Pathankot AFB Tightens Security, Braces Itself for Another Terrorist Attack Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- Security has been tightened at the Indian air force base in Pathankot following a warning from intelligence agencies.
- June 10, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 Jun 2016
- 10 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Jun 2016
- UN determined to work collectively to ensure people worldwide are protected, says Ban UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- Speaking at a Security Council debate on the protection of civilians, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today stressed that the United Nations is determined to work collectively to support governments to protect their people, and to persuade parties to conflict to abide by their obligations.
- Navy sailing near Diaoyu 'legitimate' People's Daily 10 Jun 2016 -- The Defense Ministry on Thursday refuted Japan's protest over Chinese warships sailing close to the Diaoyu Islands in the East China Sea.
- Saudis Extort UN: Threaten to Pull $500mn Over 'Child Killer' List Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- Secretary General Ban ki-Moon went public with Saudi threats to divest from the United Nations and force other Arab states out of the international body if Saudi-led forces remained on the UN's 'child-killer' list.
- Airstrikes Cause Two-Thirds of Civilian Casualties in Yemen VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- The U.N. human rights office has released its latest figures on civilian casualties in Yemen, showing more than 3,500 people have been killed and nearly 6,300 wounded since Saudi Arabia's bombing campaign against the Houthi rebels began in March of last year.
- Rocket and mortar attacks in Yemen's Taiz condemned by UN rights office UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations human rights office today strongly condemned a series of rocket and mortar attacks against several residential areas and markets in Taiz, Yemen, since last Friday, which killed 18 civilians including seven children, and injured 68 others.
- Total of 142 Settlements Have Joined Syrian Ceasefire - Russian Military Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- The number of settlements that have joined ceasefire regime in Syria has increased to 142, the Russian Defense Ministry said Friday.
- French Forces Begin Construction of Military Base in Syria's Aleppo Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- According to a Kurdish source, French forces stationed in northern Syria have begun constructing a military base near the city of Kobani in Aleppo province.
- Daesh Terrorists Kill 36 Civilians Near Syrian City of Manbij Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- The Daesh terrorists killed 36 civilians in the Aleppo governorate, a Kurdish source told Sputnik.
- Daesh terrorists massacre nearly 40 civilians in northern Syria village Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- Members of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in Syria have killed nearly 40 civilians in a bloody attack on a village in the strategic northern province of Aleppo, as the extremists continue perpetrating crimes against humanity in the conflict-ridden country.
- At least three Syrians killed in militant attacks in Aleppo Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- Foreign-backed Takfiri militants have launched several attacks against residential areas in Syria's northern province of Aleppo, leaving at least three people dead.
- Syrians cut off main Daesh road to Turkey Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- An alliance of Syrian Kurdish and Arab forces has managed to cut off the Daesh terror group's main supply route to Turkey after encircling the Syrian border town of Manbij.
- Syria: UN agencies reach families with food in the besieged town of Darayya UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today announced it delivered food for the first time since 2012 to the besieged town of Darayya, a suburb of Damascus, as part of a joint UN and Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) convoy.
- Iraq: UN refugee agency warns of struggles and new displacements in Mosul UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- More than half a million people remain uprooted from their homes two years after fleeing violence in the Iraqi city of Mosul, while military activities in the north and south-east of the city are causing fresh displacement, the United Nations refugee agency said today.
- Iraqi forces moved to within three km of Fallujah center: Cmdr. Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi counter-terrorism forces are now some three kilometers away from the center of Fallujah, advancing to recapture the strategic city from its southern areas, a senior military commander says.
- Turkish army airstrike, soldiers kill 13 Kurdish PKK militants Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- More than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed after Turkish military aircraft and army soldiers carried out a raft of counter-terrorism operations against the Kurdish militants in Turkey's southeastern provinces of Hakkari and Van.
- White House Aide Says Deal To End Ukraine Conflict Possible By Year's End RFE/RL 10 Jun 2016 -- The White House is pushing for implementation of a deal to end the conflict in eastern Ukraine before President Barack Obama leaves office, national-security adviser Susan Rice has said.
- UN refugee agency modifies response plan for Mediterranean and Western Balkans UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency today announced a revision to the regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan, involving 60 partner organizations and covering the eastern Mediterranean and Western Balkans route, in order to focus on the static population in Greece and on protection activities.
- South Sudan's Machar Denies Opposing War Crimes Court VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- Earlier this week, The New York Times published an op-ed bylined by South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and his rival-turned-First Vice President Riek Machar.
- Ban welcomes Central African Republic President's resolve to seek all-inclusive resolution to crisis UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- Meeting today with Faustin Archange Touadéra, President of the Central African Republic (CAR), United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon noted that the country had turned a corner following the holding of democratic elections, and welcomed the leader's resolve to fully address the root causes of the country's crisis in an inclusive spirit.
- Stung By Boko Haram in Niger, Regional African Troops Push Back VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- Troops in northern Cameroon set out Friday for a fresh push against Boko Haram militants, a week after the terror group carried out its deadliest attack in Niger in more than a year.
- Florida Woman Pleads Guilty to Acting as Illegal Agent of Foreign Government and Conspiring to Commit Money Laundering US Dept. of Justice 10 Jun 2016 -- Amin Yu, 54, of Orlando, Florida, pleaded guilty today to acting in the United States as an illegal agent of a foreign government without prior notification to the Attorney General and conspiring to commit international money laundering.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, June 10, 2016 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 10 Jun 2016
- Pyongyang Proposes Intra-Korean Meeting on Reunification Sputnik 10 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has proposed to hold an inter-Korean meeting on reunification, which would coincide with the 71st anniversary of Korea's liberation from Japanese colonial rule, local media reported Friday.
- Ebola Virus Can Live in More Animals Than Once Thought VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- Ebola virus hotspots are more widespread across Africa and are carried by a greater number of animal species than previously suspected, according to a recent study published in the science journal Mammal Review.
- Gambia: UN adviser condemns President's reported threats against ethnic group UN News 10 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations Special Adviser of the Secretary-General on the Prevention of Genocide has condemned the inflammatory speech by the President of the Gambia, Yahya Jammeh of the Gambia at a political rally this past week, in which he reportedly threatened to eliminate the Mandinka ethnic group.
- Fujimori Concedes Defeat in Peruvian Presidential Election VOA 10 Jun 2016 -- Keiko Fujimori conceded defeat Friday in one of the closest presidential elections ever in Peru, which kept the country in suspense for nearly a week.
- Kazakh forces gun down five terrorists in Aktobe Press TV 10 Jun 2016 -- Security forces in Kazakhstan have killed five "terrorists" suspected of being behind recent fatal shooting attacks in the northwestern city of Aktobe.
- Kazakh Security Forces Kill Five Suspected Militants In Aqtobe RFE/RL 10 Jun 2016 -- Kazakh security forces have killed five suspected militants in Aqtobe, the northwestern city near the Russian border where dozens of gunmen carried out deadly attacks on June 5.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|