15 May 2016 Military News
- U.S., Coalition Continue Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 May 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan Security Forces Push Back Taliban Advance on Northern City VOA 15 May 2016 -- Afghanistan security forces said Sunday they have halted advances overnight by the Taliban on a key northern city and inflicted heavy casualties on the enemy.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Marine Wing Support Squadron 171 finishes Exercise Thunder Horse 16.2 USMC News 15 May 2016 -- Marines with Marine Wing Support Squadron 171 conclude exercise Thunder Horse 16.2 May 14, 2016, following a week-long exercise at the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force's Haramura Maneuver Area in Hiroshima, Japan.
- Below bingo: KC-135 enables second tanker to stay in flight AFNS 15 May 2016 -- Flying closely to mountainous terrain in Afghanistan, a KC-135 Stratotanker aircrew found themselves low on fuel when they were unexpectedly requested to refuel an AC-130H Spectre in pursuit of a high-level Taliban leader on the ground.
- US Surveillance Plane Reportedly Approaches Russian Border Over Baltic Sea Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- An RC-135V surveillance aircraft of the US Air Force came close to the Russian border, over the Baltic Sea, RIA Novosti reported citing Baltic Watch.
- Back to the Future? Why Germany is Building Up Its Military Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- For the first time since the end of the Cold War, Germany has enlisted additional soldiers in its army. The era of disarmament in Berlin seems to be over, Austrian newspaper Die Presse wrote.
- Germany Taking Part in NATO War Games Close to Russian Borders Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- NATO has organized a large-scale military exercises in Estonia which are being carried out directly on the border with Russia. German soldiers are also actively taking part in the maneuver, German newspaper Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten (DWN) reported.
- Russian Navy to Receive Over 10 Raptor Patrol Boats by Late 2018 Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- The Raptor boats are used during troop landing and search and rescue operations.
- China voices strong dissatisfaction over U.S. report on Chinese military People's Daily 15 May 2016 -- Defense Ministry Spokesman Yang Yujun on Saturday expressed "strong dissatisfaction" and "firm opposition" to a Pentagon report that he said has misrepresented China's military development.
- China slams Pentagon's annual military report as distorted Press TV 15 May 2016 -- Beijing has expressed "strong dissatisfaction" with the US Defense Department's annual report on military and security developments involving China, calling it a deliberate distortion of Chinese defense policies.
- Beijing Slams Pentagon Report on Chinese Military Activity Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Defense Ministry Spokesman Yang Yujun on Saturday expressed "strong dissatisfaction" and "firm opposition" to a Pentagon report that according to him misrepresented China's military development.
- Beijing Criticizes US Report on China's Military Development VOA 15 May 2016 -- China's defense ministry expressed its "strong dissatisfaction" with the United States, criticizing an annual report by the U.S. Department of Defense as misrepresenting the country's military development.
- Defense budget sees growth over past three years: MND CNA 15 May 2016 -- Although the funds allocated to national defense from the government's annual budget represented less than 3 percent of Taiwan's gross domestic product (GDP), the country has seen its defense budget trend upwards over the past three years, Ministry of National Defense (MND) spokesman Maj. Gen. Luo Shou-he (羅紹和) said Sunday.
- India Successfully Test Fires First Supersonic Interceptor Missile Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- India successfully test fired its supersonic interceptor missile from Odisha coast on Sunday, India's Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) said.
- Iran keen on balanced defense relations with regional states IRNA 15 May 2016 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is willing to develop balanced defense relations with the regional states.
- Iran Has No Plans to Buy Russia's S-400 Air Defense System After S-300 Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier-General, Hossein Dehqan, in response to a question by a reporter said that Iran has not demanded S-400 air defense systems from Russia.
- Iran Negotiating Purchase of Navy Equipment From Russia Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Tehran is negotiating the purchase of equipment for its Navy from Russia, Navy Lieutenant Commander Admiral Gholam Reza Biqam said Sunday.
- Azerbaijan, Turkey, Georgia to Hold Joint Military Drills Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia will hold joint military drills, Azerbaijani Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov said Sunday.
- Azerbaijan to perform military drills with Turkey, Georgia Press TV 15 May 2016 -- The Republic of Azerbaijan has declared joint military drills with Turkey and Georgia, a move which is likely to increase tensions with neighboring Armenia prior to talks with Yerevan over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Maduro: Venezuela to Hold Military Exercises to Prepare for 'Any Scenario' Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Venezuela will hold national military exercises to prepare the country for "any scenario", President Nicolas Maduro said.
- Difficult matters hinder deal between Yemeni warring parties: UN envoy Press TV 15 May 2016 -- The UN special envoy says a number of"difficult matters" remain unresolved to clinch an accord between Yemen's warring parties during ongoing UN-brokered talks in Kuwait.
- Iran vows to continue advisory aid to Syria ISNA 15 May 2016 -- Iran will continue its military advisory aid to Syria as per the Syrian government's request, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
- 300 militants killed in Takfiri groups infighting near Damascus Press TV 15 May 2016 -- At least 300 militants have been killed during fighting between Takfiri groups over the control of a militant stronghold near the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Syria forces take back hospital from Daesh in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 15 May 2016 -- Syrian government forces have managed to take back a hospital in the eastern city of Dayr al-Zawr from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists after thwarting the group's major offensive on the city.
- Kurdish Forces Advancing on Raqqa City in Full Combat Readiness Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- The predominately Kurdish 'Syrian Democratic Forces' (SDF) have made further advances in Raqqa province, and are now very close to entering Raqqa city.
- Why Russia May Not Need Hmeymim Base to Continue Crushing Daesh in Syria Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Russia has withdrawn the bulk of its forces from Syria and agreed with Washington a ceasefire in the country. However, Moscow would have to return its aircraft to the Syrian battlefield since Washington continues to supply arms to terrorist groups, an article on the foreign affairs analysis website Voltaire Network read.
- Kerry Seeks Saudi Support for Syrian Cease-fire VOA 15 May 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry sought Saudi Arabia's support Sunday in strengthening a "cessation of hostilities" agreement between Syrian government forces and rebels ahead of broader talks on regional crises later this week.
- Islamists Claim Responsibility for Deadly Iraq Attacks VOA 15 May 2016 -- Islamic State attacks across Iraq Sunday left at least 29 people dead and more than 70 wounded.
- 15 killed in Daesh attacks in and around Baghdad Press TV 15 May 2016 -- Bomb attacks by Takfiri group Daesh in and around the Iraqi capital Baghdad have left at least 15 people killed.
- Daesh Uses Chemical Weapons Against Kurds in Northern Iraq Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- Daesh militants used chemical weapons in an attack on Kurdish Peshmerga forces in northern Iraq on Saturday, injuring at least 14 people, local news agency Rudaw reported, citing military sources.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Participation in the Vienna Ministerial Meeting on Libya US Dept. of State 15 May 2016
- One soldier, 6 PKK militants killed in Turkey southeast Press TV 15 May 2016 -- A Turkish soldier and six members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed during a series of violent clashes in the country's volatile southeast, military sources say.
- Turkey covering routine Daesh border crossings from Syria: MP Press TV 15 May 2016 -- Leaked phone recordings allegedly show that the Turkish government has permitted over a thousand members of the Daesh terrorist group to cross its borders with Syria.
- KCNA Issues Detailed Report on Conclusion of WPK Seventh Congress as Glorious One of Victory KCNA 15 May 2016 -- The Korean Central News Agency on Saturday issued a detailed report as regards that the Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) attained its goal thanks to the loyalty and trust of all the party members, servicepersons and people and was concluded as the congress of victory and glory.
- Russian yacht released by North Korea Press TV 15 May 2016 -- North Korea has released a Russian yacht that it had earlier impounded, with the Russian Embassy in Pyongyang confirming that the five-member crew of the vessel are now on their way home.
- No compromise with US never ever, says commander IRNA 15 May 2016 -- Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri said the Islamic Republic of Iran would never make any concessions to the US.
- Majlis approves double urgency of bill on US crimes against Iran IRNA 15 May 2016 -- The Iranian parliament here on Sunday approved the double urgency of a bill urging the government to demand compensations from the US for damage inflicted on Iran because of its crimes and actions.
- Iran MPs pass binding plan to receive compensation from US ISNA 15 May 2016 -- Iranian lawmakers passed a plan binding the government to pursue compensation for the loss due to US crimes against Iran and Iranian officials.
- Payback Time: Iran to Sue US for 63 Years of Sanctions Sputnik 15 May 2016 -- The Iranian parliament has given preliminary approval to a bill requiring the government to sue the US for the damage the country suffered as a result of the US' hostile moves over the past 63 years, IRNA news agency reported.
- 5 Face Terror Charges Over Australia-Syria Boat Plan VOA 15 May 2016 -- Australian authorities charged five men with terrorism-related charges Saturday after they were arrested earlier this week for attempting to sail to Indonesia and then travel on to join Islamist groups in Syria.
- US Envoy: Islamic State on Defensive, Leaders 'Nervous' VOA 15 May 2016 -- The U.S. envoy for the coalition fighting the Islamic State group says the military push to recapture the northern Iraqi city of Mosul is progressing and that the militants are increasingly on the defensive.
- China launches Yaogan-30 remote sensing satellite People's Daily 15 May 2016 -- China's Yaogan-30 remote sensing satellite was sent into space on Sunday at 10:43 a.m. from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwestern China's gobi desert.
- Ban and African Union Commission welcome partial re-run of elections in Comoros UN News 15 May 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the African Union Commission today welcomed the peaceful conduct of the partial re-run for the elections of President of Comoros and Governor of Anjouan.
- Venezuelan President Threatens Seizure of Factories After Production Halts VOA 15 May 2016 -- The economic and political crisis in Venezuela deepened Saturday as President Nicolas Maduro threatened to seize closed factories and arrest their owners, whom he said were "trying to sabotage the country."
- Venezuela's state of emergency extended by another 60 days, possibly to last longer People's Daily 15 May 2016 -- After living in a state of emergency for four months, Venezuelans learnt Saturday they have to continue this way for another 60 days, and possibly throughout 2017.
- Venezuelan president orders seizure of idle factories, jailing owners Press TV 15 May 2016 -- Venezuela's president has ordered the seizure of idle factories and arrest of their owners under a new emergency decree he issued in response to the country's economic woes and what he calls domestic and foreign threats.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|