09 May 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 May 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 09 May 2016-- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 May 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 09 May 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- U.S. Central Command Announces Yemen Counterterrorism Strikes AFPS 09 May 2016 -- The U.S. military has conducted four counterterrorism airstrikes against the al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula terrorist organization in Yemen in recent weeks, killing 10 al-Qaida operatives and injuring one, U.S. Central Command officials announced May 6.
- Pentagon Spokesman: Coalition Airstrike Kills Anbar Military Emir AFPS 09 May 2016 -- A U.S.-led coalition airstrike May 6 targeted and killed Abu Wahib, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant's military emir for Iraq's Anbar province, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said today.
- Pentagon: Senior IS Militant Killed in Iraq's Anbar Province VOA 09 May 2016 -- The Pentagon says the notorious leader of Islamic State extremists in Iraq's Anbar province has been killed in a coalition airstrike, along with three other jihadists.
- Afghan Officials: Haqqani Network Controls Taliban Command VOA 09 May 2016 -- Officials in Afghanistan say the State Department designated terrorist group, the al-Qaida linked Haqqani network, has effectively taken over battlefield command of the Taliban insurgency.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Arlington Completes Maiden Deployment NNS 09 May 2016 -- The amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) returned to its homeport of Norfolk, May 3, following completion of the ship's historic maiden deployment.
- Hill F-35s form up for combat training AFNS 09 May 2016 -- F-35 Lightning II pilots from Hill Air Force Base began flying routine four-ship combat training missions at the Utah Test and Training Range in the west desert May 2.
- Bulgaria, U.S. tanks strengthen regional defense in live-fire exercise USMC News 09 May 2016 -- Forces from Bulgaria, Romania, France, Great Britain and the United States will conduct a multi-national exercise to improve collective defense in Eastern Europe.
- Combat Center leads Corps in environmental management USMC News 09 May 2016 -- Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California is the largest combined arms live-fire training facility in the Marine Corps. As such, they have the responsibility of ensuring Marines remain the nation's force in readiness while simultaneously preserving the ability to train, live and work on the land entrusted to them.
- US may lose large military base in British territory Press TV 09 May 2016 -- The United States is about to lose one of its largest overseas military bases due to the approaching expiration of a lease contract on the British territory of Diego Garcia Island.
- AF Space Command leader releases strategic intent doc AFNS 09 May 2016 -- The head of the Air Force Space Command revealed his updated Commander's Strategic IntentMay 6. The strategic intent document serves as the overarching document guiding the command.
- Deputy Secretary General calls for efforts to strengthen non-proliferation regime NATO 09 May 2016 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General Ambassador Alexander Vershbow opened the twelfth annual NATO Conference on Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) Arms Control, Disarmament, and Non-proliferation in Ljubljana, Slovenia on Monday (9 May 2016). "With the breadth of challenges before us, it is essential that we work together to develop an ever stronger and more comprehensive approach to today's WMD and CBRN threats," he said.
- Military targets corruption by terminating commercial activities People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- Termination of the Chinese military's commercial activities will strongly lessen incentives for military-related corruption while consolidating the PLA's combat capability, military experts said.
- Iran castigates US-Saudi propaganda campaign over missile capability IRNA 09 May 2016 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan on Monday castigated the propaganda campaign over Iranian missile capability and said that it has not carried ballistic missile test.
- No halt to Iran defensive bids, missile tests: Dehqan Press TV 09 May 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic has never stopped undertaking defensive measures including missile tests.
- Iranian Minister Issues Vague Denial About Reported Missile Test RFE/RL 09 May 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan has issued a vague denial after a media outlet close to the military said it had recently test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile.
- Iran test-fires long-range ballistic missile Press TV 09 May 2016 -- Iran recently test-fired a ballistic missile with a range of 2,000 kilometers and accuracy to within eight meters, a senior Iranian military official says quoted by the Tasnim news agency.
- Iran test fires ballistic missile with range of 2.000 km ISNA 09 May 2016 -- Iran recently test-fired a ballistic missile with a range of 2,000 kilometers and accuracy of within eight meters, a senior Iranian military official said.
- US Reviews Policy on Arms Transfer to Vietnam VOA 09 May 2016 -- The United States is reviewing its current arms transfer policy to determine if a full lifting of the arms embargo on Vietnam would better reflect developments of relations between the two countries.
- May 9, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 May 2016
- Daily Press Briefing by the Press Secretary, 5/9/2016 The White House 09 May 2016
- 9 May 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 May 2016
- Commentary: Western speculation will never shake China's determination in the South China Sea People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- In recent days, more than 10 countries have shown their support for China's proposition of peacefully resolving the South China Sea dispute through negotiations between the countries directly concerned.
- Yemen peace in tatters as Saudi jets kill 13 Press TV 09 May 2016 -- At least 13 people, including five paramedics, are killed in a fresh Saudi airstrike in Yemen despite peace talks which a Houthi official says have little chance of success.
- Pro-Hadi forces arresting, expelling people from Aden Press TV 09 May 2016 -- Forces loyal to Yemen's former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have been arresting and evicting hundreds of civilians from the southern port city of Aden to the north, local officials say.
- Joint Statement of the Russian Federation and the United States on Syria US Dept. of State 09 May 2016 -- "The Russian Federation and the United States of America, as co-chairs of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG), recognize the progress that has been made with respect to the cessation of hostilities (CoH) in Syria, in accordance with our Joint Statement of February 22, 2016, and in improving humanitarian access. (...) As a result, we have decided to reconfirm our commitment to the CoH in Syria and to intensify efforts to ensure its nation-wide implementation."
- U.S. Official On Syria US Dept. of State 09 May 2016 -- Special Briefing by U.S. Official
- Aleppo Cease-Fire Gains New Life VOA 09 May 2016 -- The Syrian government has announced a 48-hour extension of a fragile localized cease-fire in Aleppo, where an uptick in fighting between the government and rebels has threatened a nationwide cessation of hostilities.
- Al-Qaida Affiliate Goes on Syrian Offensive VOA 09 May 2016 -- Al-Qaida's affiliate in Syria has redoubled its efforts against Islamic State with its fighters pressing attacks on a militia in southern Syria that recently swore allegiance to its jihadist rival.
- Syria: UN adviser on preventing genocide expresses outrage at ongoing civilian attacks UN News 09 May 2016 -- The United Nations Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide, Adama Dieng, expressed his outrage today at the ongoing "indiscriminate and seemingly calculated" attacks against civilians and civilian objects in Syria.
- Ceasefire in Aleppo extended for 48 hours: Syrian army Press TV 09 May 2016 -- A fragile ceasefire in the northwestern Syrian city of Aleppo and its surroundings has been extended for another 48 hours, the Syrian army says.
- Russia, US pledge adherence to Syria truce Press TV 09 May 2016 -- Russia and the United States have confirmed their commitment to an existing ceasefire in Syria and intend to intensify their efforts to ensure its implementation.
- Lawmaker Says Up To Six Iranian Personnel Captured In Syria RFE/RL 09 May 2016 -- A senior Iranian lawmaker says around six Iranian military personnel have been taken captive in Syria following May 6 clashes with Islamist insurgents that left 13 "military advisers" dead and more than a dozen injured.
- Iraqi security forces take village back from Daesh Press TV 10 May 2016 -- Iraqi forces have liberated a strategic village from Daesh as part of their push to retake Mosul, the most important urban area under the Takfiri group's control.
- 10 killed during two days of clashes in southeast Turkey Press TV 09 May 2016 -- At least 10 people have been killed over two days of clashes between Turkish army and the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants in the country's volatile southeast.
- Three years of violence halt government health services in Central African Republic - UN UN News 09 May 2016 -- More than three years of violence have dismantled the already very fragile health structures in the Central African Republic (CAR), bringing the government service delivery capacity to a complete stop, and leaving thousands of people vulnerable to diseases and with little access to health services, the United Nations humanitarian aid office said over the weekend.
- UN refugee agency notes 'profound concern' over Kenya's plan to close refugee camps UN News 09 May 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency today expressed "profound concern" over the Government of Kenya's announcement this past week that it intends to end the hosting of refugees because of economic, security and environmental burdens, and called on the Government to reconsider its decision.
- UN Urges Kenya to Reconsider Plan to Close Refugee Camps VOA 09 May 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency is calling on Kenya to reconsider its plans to close the country's two main refugee camps, saying the move would have "devastating consequences" for hundreds of thousands of people.
- DPRK top leader Kim Jong Un elected chairman of ruling party People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- The top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Kim Jong Un, has been elected chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), a newly-created post, it was announced Monday.
- North Korea to expand economic, nuclear capabilities Press TV 09 May 2016 -- North Korea has decided to simultaneously expand its nuclear weapons capability "in quality and quantity" and push forward economic development.
- North Korea Expels Foreign Journalists VOA 09 May 2016 -- North Korea's treatment of international journalists in the country is undermining the carefully constructed image of the Kim Jong Un government being presented at the party congress, now under way in Pyongyang.
- Seoul rejects Pyongyang's proposal for inter-Korea talks People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- There would be little chance for the two countries on the Korean Peninsula to improve their stressed relations via bilateral talks as Seoul has turned down a rare olive branch from Pyongyang.
- S. Korea never accept DPRK as nuclear-armed state: Seoul People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- South Koreaand the international community will never accept Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) as a nuclear-armed state, Seoul's Ministry of National Defense said on Monday.
- S.Korea rejects inter-Korean dialogue proposed by DPRK People's Daily 09 May 2016 -- South Korea on Sunday rejected the inter-Korean dialogue offer proposed by the leader of Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong-un saying that the proposal is merely a propaganda drive with no authenticity as DPRK continued to develop its nuclear program.
- Press Review KCNA 09 May 2016 -- The DPRK's leading newspapers Monday carry special write-ups dealing with the Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Iran MPs urge end to JCPOA implementation Press TV 09 May 2016 -- A group of Iranian lawmakers have called on President Hassan Rouhani to stop implementing a nuclear agreement if the US continues violating the accord and maintains its hostile policies.
- Iran seriously following up JCPOA's practical outcomes IRNA 09 May 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said Monday that Tehran is trying to solve problems on the way of JCPOA implementation and prepare the ground for benefiting from practical results of the landmark nuclear deal.
- US Intel Agencies Blocked From Twitter-linked Service VOA 09 May 2016 -- Twitter has blocked American intelligence agencies from accessing a service that has proven itself helpful in fighting terrorism.
- France Outlines New Plan to Fight Extremism VOA 09 May 2016 -- France's leftist government says it will create deradicalization centers around the country, sinking $45 million into a barrage of new proposals to fight terrorism.
- 'Risks of inaction are considerable', says Ban, urging new compact on refugees and migrants UN News 09 May 2016 -- Despite bold efforts, responses to the large movements of refugees and migrants – which will continue or possibly increase due to such issues as conflict, poverty and disasters – have been largely inadequate, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today in a new report, calling for the adoption of a global compact on responsibility-sharing that collectively ensures the human rights, safety and dignity of all refugees and migrants.
- Brazil House Speaker annuls Rousseff impeachment Press TV 09 May 2016 -- The acting speaker of the lower house of Brazil's Congress has annulled last month's vote on impeachment, delaying the process against embattled President Dilma Rousseff.
- Egypt: UN experts report worsening crackdown on protest UN News 09 May 2016 -- Three United Nations human rights experts today urged the Egyptian Government to put an end to the disproportionate reactions against the exercise of the rights to assembly and expression in the country.
- Baghdad Trying to Stagger Out of Political Crisis VOA 10 May 2016 -- Although protesters demanding political reform have retreated from Baghdad's streets, the underlying challenges to Iraq's leadership and stability is not over.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|