27 April 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 27 Apr 2016 [PDF]
- Up to $800 million in Daesh cash reserves destroyed: US Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Airstrikes by the US-led coalition against the Daesh Takfiri group's positions inside Syria and Iraq have led to the possible destruction of up to $800 million of the terror group's cash reserves, a senior US military commander says.
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL Targets in Iraq AFPS 27 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- IS at Weakest Point Since Start of Bombing Campaign, US Says VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- Efforts to squeeze the Islamic State (IS) in Iraq and Syria have put the self-declared caliphate on shaky ground, leaving the terror group in perhaps its most vulnerable state since the start of the U.S.-led bombing campaign, according to U.S. officials.
- Taliban's Qatar Office Denies Peace Talks Are On Agenda RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- The Qatar-based political office of Afghanistan's Taliban has rejected media reports that a Taliban delegation sent to Pakistan is exploring the possibility of joining peace talks with the Afghan government.
- Afghan Taliban Confirms Delegation Visiting Pakistan VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- Afghanistan's Taliban has confirmed it has sent a "high-level' delegation to Islamabad for talks with Pakistani officials, saying it hopes the visit will have "fruitful results" and "in the interest of both countries."
- U.S. Airmen Support Earthquake Relief Efforts in Ecuador AFPS 27 Apr 2016 -- The United States, in coordination with the Ecuadorian government, deployed 12 Air Force airmen to Ecuador this week to support ongoing international relief efforts for victims of the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck the South American country April 16.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US deploys F-22s to Lithuania in show of force against Russia Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- The US Air Force has deployed two of its most advanced fighter jets to Lithuania, a Baltic state in northern Europe, in a show of force against Russia.
- F-22 Raptors fly into Lithuania as part of European tour AFNS 27 Apr 2016 -- A pair of F-22 Raptors and one KC-135 Stratotanker arrived at Šiauliai Air Base on April 27, following a short stay in Romania.
- No Fair Fights for U.S. Troops, Chairman Says AFPS 27 Apr 2016 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff repeated to the Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee what has become a mantra to him: he doesn't believe the United States should ever send American service members into a fair fight.
- Carter: DoD's FY17 Budget Request Takes Long View AFPS 27 Apr 2016 -- The fiscal year 2017 Defense Department budget request must, of necessity, take the long view, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told the Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee today.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's Visit to Sweden DoD 27 Apr 2016
- Work Praises Sweden's Regional Leadership, Technological Capabilities AFPS 27 Apr 2016 -- On the second day of his trip to Sweden -- the first time in 16 years that a U.S. defense secretary or deputy secretary has visited -- Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work toured military facilities and saw the products of a major Swedish defense company.
- Future USS Frank E Petersen Jr Begins Fabrication NNS 27 Apr 2016 -- The construction of future USS Frank E. Petersen Jr. (DDG 121) is officially underway at Huntington Ingalls Industries shipyard.
- US Mulls Intermediate-Range Missiles Amid Alleged Russian INF Violations Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- The US House of Representatives Armed Services Committee is considering fielding intermediate-range missiles in response to alleged Russian violations of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty banning such weapons, Congressman John Garamendi told Sputnik.
- Combat Logistics Regiment 4 provides "crucial" support at Exercise African Lion 16 USMC News 27 Apr 2016 -- Marines with Combat Logistics Regiment 4, 4th Marine Logistics Group, Marine Forces Reserve started live operations at the Joint Operations Center located in Agadir, Morocco during Exercise African Lion 16, April 22, 2016.
- NATO pledges to boost military presence in Eastern Europe Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- NATO has pledged to expand its military presence in Eastern Europe to protect its partners and allies from potential threats as the US sends two of the world's most advanced warplanes to Romania.
- Europe's security remains in deadlock, Russian FM warns Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Russia's foreign minister said Wednesday a recent ambassadorial-level meeting between representatives of Moscow and NATO proves absence of progress in Europe's security situation.
- Results of Russia-NATO Council Don't Look Optimistic - Defense Minister Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- The results of the first Russia-NATO Council in two years doesn't look too optimistic, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said at the fifth Moscow Conference on International Security.
- Former NATO Ambassador Urges Alliance to Counter Russian Narrative VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- NATO should actively counter the Kremlin's claim that the Western military alliance is expanding with the aim of threatening Russia, says a former U.S. ambassador to NATO.
- Estonia Launches Drills Near Russian Border With US Troops Involved Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- Estonia's Defense Forces commenced on Wednesday the drills called Tormihoiatus, or Storm Warning, in the Vorumaa county near the border with Russia, the General Staff of the Estonian Defense Forces said.
- Russia Wants Its Allies to Have Modern Armies Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- Moscow is interested in its allies' ability to efficiently combat challenges to national security, the Russian defense minister said.
- On anniversary of UN-backed treaty banning nuclear tests, Ban reiterates call to action UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- Marking the 20th anniversary of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO), United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today that instead of a celebration, the occasion is a call to action on the work that remains to be done to end nuclear testing and continue on an environmentally sustainable path.
- Russia may supply Iran with arms not banned by UN ISNA 27 Apr 2016 -- Russia is supplying S-300 air defense systems to Iran ahead of schedule and may conclude new contracts with Tehran on arms deliveries that are not banned under international law, Alexander Fomin, Head of Russia's Federal Service for Military Technical Cooperation, said.
- China Successfully Flight-Tests Hypersonic Maneuvering Warhead – Reports Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- China has successfully tested an ultra-high-speed maneuvering glider that is purportedly capable of carrying nuclear weapons at a speed of up to 7,000 miles per hour, US officials said Wednesday.
- Russia, India Sign Agreement on S-400 Defense Systems Deliveries - Official Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- New Delhi and Moscow have signed an agreement on the deliveries of S-400 air defense systems, Indian Minister of State Rao Inderjit Singh said Wednesday.
- Pakistan in Talks With Russia on Sales of Helicopters, Air Defense Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- Pakistan and Russia are in talks on sales of helicopters, air defense systems and modernized tanks, Defense Minister of Pakistan Khawaja Asif told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Iran capable of producing inter-continental missiles: Diplomat Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- A senior Iranian diplomat says the country's scientific power has made it capable of producing inter-continental missiles, stressing that Iran's military doctrine is based on defense.
- Argentina Eyes Another Batch of Russian Mi-171 Helicopters Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- Argentina is mulling a contract with Russia for another batch of Russian-made Mi-171 helicopters, Argentina's Deputy Defense Minister Angel Pablo Tello said Wednesday.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 4/27/2016 The White House 27 Apr 2016
- April 27, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 27 Apr 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for April 27, 2016
- Russia Signs 1st Export Contract on Advanced Vikhr Missiles Deliveries Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- According to the Kalashnikov Concern head, Russia signed the first export contract on the delivery of Vikhr missiles.
- 27 April 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Apr 2016
- Ban welcomes 'change in strategy and mindset' as UN adopts landmark resolutions on peacebuilding UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- Deeply concerned by the high human cost and suffering caused by armed conflicts, and recognizing the significant number of simultaneous security and humanitarian crises that the world currently faces, the United Nations General Assembly and the Security Council today concurrently adopted resolutions on the Organization's peacebuilding architecture, providing renewed momentum for the focus within the UN system on 'sustaining peace.'
- Japan's claim that Okinotori is an island is 'illegal': president CNA 27 Apr 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) issued a stern statement Wednesday condemning Japan's detention of a Taiwanese fishing boat in a disputed area of the Pacific, saying Japan's claim that Okinotori Atoll is an island violates international law.
- China dismisses Pentagon report on freedom of navigation People's Daily 27 Apr 2016 -- China on Tuesday urged the United States to show respect for other countries' sovereignty and security.
- Commentary: US attempt to isolate China in South China Sea doomed to fail People's Daily 27 Apr 2016 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi recently paid visits to Brunei, Cambodia and Laos, during which he exchanged views with all parties on the situation in the South China Sea. He announced that the three countries had reached a consensus during a press conference before he wrapped up his trip.
- Saudi side rejects halt to airstrikes in Yemen: Report Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Head of the Saudi-led delegation to Yemen's peace talks being held in Kuwait has dismissed a halt to airstrikes, Yemen's al-Masirah TV says, citing sources privy to the negotiations.
- Access and aid needed in Yemen, says UN humanitarian coordinator UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- Following a three-day mission to Yemen's north-western Sa'ada Governorate, the top UN relief official in the country urged Yemeni parties to remain committed to the cessation of hostilities and allow unhindered humanitarian access, while he called on the international community to increase the level of support.
- Hezbollah Develops New Skills in Syria, Posing Challenges for Israel VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- When Hezbollah first intervened on the side of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria, Israeli defense analysts saw the foray as a blessing – better to have their Lebanese arch-enemy entangled in a war in Syria. But there is increasing concern that Hezbollah is getting valuable battlefield experience in Syria, especially when it comes to large-scale, coordinated offensive operations, something the Shi'ite militia had little knowledge of before.
- Blast kills terrorist commander in Syria's Idlib Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- A commander of a brigade affiliated with the Ahrar al-Sham terrorist group has been killed in a blast that targeted his vehicle in northwestern Syria.
- Syria peace talks to resume in Geneva on May 10: Russia Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Russia says Syria peace talks will resume in the Swiss city of Geneva on May 10.
- UN agency smartphone app now raising funds for Syrian refugee children in Lebanon UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- ShareTheMeal, the award-winning smartphone app developed by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), is switching its fundraising efforts to support Syrian refugee children in Lebanon.
- Iraqi forces retake Nineveh village, kill 200 Daesh terrorists Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Iraqi security forces, backed by the country's warplanes, have managed to purge a strategic village in Nineveh Province of the Daesh terrorist group, leaving at least 200 militants dead.
- Libya: UN envoy 'deeply concerned' by terrorist attacks on oil fields UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- The most senior United Nations official in Libya today said he is deep concerned by recent incursions by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) into Libya's oil crescent region and by attacks carried on oil fields.
- United States Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for the People of South Sudan US Dept. of State 27 Apr 2016 -- The United States today announced more than $86 million in additional humanitarian assistance to help conflict-affected people in South Sudan, as well as South Sudanese refugees in the region.
- South Sudan's Machar returns to Juba, sworn in as VP Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar has been sworn in as first vice president shortly after returning to the capital to form a unity government.
- Distrust Remains as South Sudan Forms Unity Government VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- South South's rebel leader Riek Machar finally returned to Juba Tuesday, to take his place as the country's vice-president, but analysts warn that distrust and rivalry between the government and rebels could undermine the next phase of the transition.
- Bombing hits Turkey's Bursa, wounds several people Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- A female bomber has set off her explosives in Turkey's northwestern city of Bursa, leaving at least 13 people injured, local media reports say.
- 5 killed in fresh surge of violence in east Ukraine Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- At least 5 people have been killed in a fresh surge of violence in the war-torn regions of eastern Ukraine.
- Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Urges Azerbaijan to Comply With Ceasefire Regime Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- The self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) calls on Baku to fulfill its responsibilities under the 1994 truce deal in the disputed region, the NKR Foreign Ministry (MFA) said.
- War looming large over Western Sahara: Polisario Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Polisario Front, a group seeking Western Sahara's independence from Morocco, says the region could become engulfed in war if the United Nations fails to press for a regional independence vote.
- UN rights chief condemns spate of assassinations in Burundi UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations human rights chief today condemned the increasing number of attacks against high-level officials in Burundi and called for proper investigations to be carried out.
- Donald J. Trump Foreign Policy Speech Donald J. Trump for President 27 Apr 2016
- Donald J. Trump Delivers Major Foreign Policy Address Donald J. Trump for President 27 Apr 2016 -- In a major address today, Republican presidential candidate and GOP front-runner, Donald J. Trump detailed his views on critical foreign policy issues, making it abundantly clear that he is committed to prioritizing America first in national security, international diplomacy and global trade.
- Trump Vows To Seek Better Relations With Russia If Elected RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- Donald Trump, the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, has vowed to seek improved relations with Russia and China if he is elected to the White House, saying Washington and Moscow "should seek common ground based on shared interests."
- US 'Dominance Must Be Unquestioned': Trump Vows to Be 'Greatest Defender' Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- Following decisive victories in Tuesday's primary races, Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump delivered a speech on Wednesday outlining his "America first" foreign policy.
- Current US Foreign Policy a 'Disaster,' Trump Says VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- Donald Trump, the leading U.S. Republican presidential contender, called Wednesday for sharp changes in U.S. foreign policy to put American interests first, claiming that currently it "is a complete and total disaster."
- US Expects More Provocations From North Korea VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- The United States is anticipating more provocations from North Korea, including a fifth nuclear test, possibly in early May when the isolated regime is convening its Workers' Party Congress.
- US warns of 'options' over N Korea nuclear, missile tests Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- The United States has warned that it would consider using other "options" if North Korea continued nuclear and missile testing.
- Spotlight: U.S. warning against DPRK adds uncertainty to Korean Peninsula situation People's Daily 27 Apr 2016 -- The U.S. warning of "other options" against Pyongyang concerning its nuclear and missile programs will further deepen animosity between the two countries and have a negative impact on the Korean Peninsula situation, observers believe.
- North Korea to hold first ruling party congress in over 30 years Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- North Korea has announced the date of its first ruling party congress in the past 36 years, stoking concerns that the event will coincide with Pyongyang's fifth nuclear test.
- North Korea Sets Date for First Ruling Party Congress in 36 Years VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- North Korea will convene its much-anticipated ruling Workers' Party congress on May 6.
- North Korea Should Cease Nuclear Power Ambitions - Russian Foreign Minister Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- North Korea should refrain from irresponsible attempts at gaining nuclear power status, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday at the Moscow Conference on International Security.
- Russian FM urges DPRK to abandon nuclear ambitions People's Daily 27 Apr 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) should refrain from irresponsible actions and attempts to achieve nuclear status, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Wednesday.
- Water scarcity in DPR Korea causes first drop in food production since 2010 - UN agency UN News 27 Apr 2016 -- The total food production in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) decreased by nine per cent in 2015, marking the first drop since 2010 due to drought and low irrigation water availability, the latest report from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) showed today.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Blasts U.S. New "Sanctions Doctrine" KCNA 27 Apr 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Wednesday as the U.S. has come out with new "sanctions doctrine":
- Leader: US deception hindering Iran trade Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the US has resorted to "deception" to obstruct international trade with Iran despite a nuclear agreement.
- US double standards may lead to new world war: Iran Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Iran's defense minister has censured the United States for adopting a double-standard policy in defending its interests, saying such a policy may finally lead to a new world war.
- Supreme Leader: US is deceitful, keeps sabotaging ISNA 27 Apr 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said the US keeps sabotaging and acting deceitfully, and then complains at Iranians being pessimistic about it.
- Iran sets up committee to follow up on US court ruling ISNA 27 Apr 2016 -- The Iranian Cabinet has tasked a working group with investigating a ruling by the US Supreme Court granting about two billion dollars in frozen Iranian assets to the families of victims of a 1983 bombing in Beirut.
- White House: Agreement on buying Iran heavy water licensed ISNA 27 Apr 2016 -- White House Secretary Josh Earnest reiterated that the United States, through the Department of Energy, did make properly licensed purchase of about 32 metric tons of heavy-water from Iran.
- Rouhani: Seizure of Iran assets by US 'blatant theft' ISNA 27 Apr 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani categorically blasted a US court ruling on confiscation of $2 billion of Iranian assets, saying that the move has been blatant theft and a significant legal scandal for the US.
- Paris Attack Suspect Abdeslam Charged With Terror Crimes VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- Salah Abdeslam, believed to be the last surviving member of the terror gang that killed 130 people in Paris five months ago, was formally charged in a Paris court Wednesday with murder, kidnapping, and using bombs and deadly weapons.
- Paris Attack Suspect Appears in French Court VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- Nearly six months after the Paris attacks, top surviving suspect Salah Abdeslam appeared at a courthouse in the French capital, just hours after his extradition from Belgium.
- India Urges Pakistan To Quickly Prosecute Militants For Air Base Attack RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- India has urged Pakistan to make "early and visible" progress in prosecuting militants responsible for an attack on an Indian air base as the two sides resumed talks on April 26.
- Ex-PLA spy fails appeal in Taiwan after 4-year sentence CNA 27 Apr 2016 -- The Taiwan High Court upheld Wednesday a ruling by a lower court that sentenced a former Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) officer last year to four years in prison for violation of the National Security Act.
- Germany set to pick foreign intelligence chief Press TV 27 Apr 2016 -- Germany is to replace its foreign spy chief in an ostensible move to compensate repercussions of controversial cooperation between the service and intelligence agencies in the United States.
- German Gov't Confirms Intelligence Chief's Retirement Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- The German government confirmed on Wednesday that the head of the Federal Intelligence Service (BND) would leave his post before his term had expired.
- German Spy Chief Steps Down, No Reason Given VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- The head of Germany's intelligence agency is stepping down two years early, with no reason given for the sudden departure.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, April 27, 2016 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 27 Apr 2016
- Names Of Russia's Elite Vanish From Public Property Records RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- Peculiar things are afoot with senior Russian officials and their relatives tied to pricey real estate: Their information keeps disappearing from public property records.
- Kremlin Not Optimistic About Relations With NATO, EU RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has told a security conference in Moscow that an April 20 meeting of the NATO-Russia Council - the first in more than two years - "did not inspire optimism" about the Kremlin's relations with NATO and the European Union.
- China Launches Kunpeng-1B Sounding Rocket Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- China has successfully launched the Kunpeng-1B sounding rocket from a launch pad in Danzhou City in the southern Chinese Hainan Province.
- First Launch From Vostochny Space Center Postponed Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- The first-ever launch of the carrier rocket "Soyuz-2.1a" from the newly-built Vostochny Cosmodrome in Russia's Far East is postponed, the reasons are to be investigated.
- United States-Republic of Korea Framework Agreement for Cooperation in Aeronautics and the Exploration and Use of Airspace and Outer Space for Civil and Peaceful Purposes US Dept. of State 27 Apr 2016 -- On April 27, 2016, at the opening of the second U.S.-Republic of Korea (ROK) Civil Space Dialogue, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea Yun Byung-se and the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Korea Mark Lippert signed a Framework Agreement for Cooperation in Aeronautics and the Exploration and Use of Airspace and Outer Space for Civil and Peaceful Purposes.
- Principle of Secularism to Be Preserved in New Turkish Constitution Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- Turkey's secular character will be preserved in the country's new constitution, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Wednesday.
- Tsai vows to promote ties with China based on Taiwan people's will CNA 27 Apr 2016 -- President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) pledged Wednesday that her administration will promote ties with China based on democratic principles and on Taiwanese public opinion.
- Nuland: No Deadline For Ukraine Vote, Sanctions To Stay Until Minsk Fulfilled RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- The United States is not setting a precise deadline for Kyiv to hold disputed elections in war-wracked eastern Ukraine, a senior U.S. official on European affairs says.
- US Urges Ukraine to Jail Corrupt Officials VOA 27 Apr 2016 -- The United States is urging Ukraine to start jailing corrupt officials, after months of political turmoil that has delayed billions of dollars in foreign loans.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|