09 March 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 Mar 2016 [PDF]
- U.S. Air Strikes Likely Killed Top IS Commander, 'The Chechen' RFE/RL 09 Mar 2016 -- Pentagon officials said U.S. air strikes last week likely killed a top Islamic State (IS) commander known as Umar 'the Chechen' al-Shishani, along with 12 other IS fighters.
- Inherent Resolve Counter-ISIL Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Counter-ISIL Operations Aim to Isolate Raqqa AFPS 09 Mar 2016 -- Coalition operations continue to isolate the Syrian city of Raqqa, the so-called capital of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here yesterday.
- Official: 15 Shabab Militants Killed in US-Somali Raid VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- U.S. military officials are denying that U.S. forces saw any ground action in a raid targeting al-Shabab militants in Somalia early Wednesday.
- US Trying to Forge Second Coalition to Stop IS Growth in Africa VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- U.S. officials are pushing a select group of allies to expand their sights beyond Iraq and Syria in the global effort to destroy the Islamic State (IS) terror group.
- Taliban Infighting Leaves Nearly 70 Militants Dead - Reports Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Almost 70 Taliban fighters have been killed during factional infighting within the movement in Afghanistan's western Herat province, local media reported Wednesday.
- Afghan Taliban Stages Assault in Helmand VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan's restive southern province of Helmand say a group of at least 10 heavily-armed Taliban fighters have staged a coordinated assault, triggering a gun battle with security forces.
- Eight killed as Taliban attack govt. offices in southern Afghanistan Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- At least eight people have been killed in Afghanistan in a string of coordinated attacks by the Taliban militant group against government offices in the country's southern province of Helmand.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US says in talks to deploy long-range bombers to Australia Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- The United States says it is negotiating with Australia to station long-range bombers in the country, amid rising tensions with China over the South China Sea.
- Boxer ARG, 13th MEU Join ROK Forces in Ssang Yong 2016 NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are participating in exercise Ssang Yong 16 (SY16), March 8-18, in and around Pohang, Republic of Korea (ROK).
- Antietam Arrives in Manila NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54) arrived in Manila for a scheduled port visit March 8.
- Dutch Navy Commodore Visits USS Fort McHenry During Cold Response 2016 NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- Dutch Commodore Rob Kramer visited Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43) March 8 during Exercise Cold Response 2016 (CDR 16).
- 3rd Fleet Commander Visits New Zealand NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- Commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet Vice Adm. Nora Tyson visited New Zealand, March 6-9.
- US Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Conduct Warfare Training during Multi Sail 2016 NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- Commander, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15, Commander, Task Force (CTF) 72 and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) are participating in the annual bilateral training exercise Multi Sail 2016, March 6-11.
- New Prototype Enhances Ship-Testing Capability at NSWC Carderock Division NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- A new 1,000-pound inertial actuator, the AMA1000, is giving engineers at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division (NSWCCD) unprecedented capability in full-scale testing.
- Little Dirty Secret: Pentagon Admits Using Spy Drones Over US Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- The Pentagon has used spy drones on non-military missions over the territory of the United States in the past decade, however, rarely and lawfully, US media reported on Wednesday citing the data of inspector general.
- USS America Completes Galley Renovation NNS 09 Mar 2016 -- Amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) celebrated the grand reopening of the ship's galley with a special meal and cake-cutting ceremony following a six-month closure during the ship's post-shakedown availability (PSA) March 7.
- Standing NATO Maritime Group Two expands area of activities NATO 09 Mar 2016 -- AEGEAN SEA -- The German flagship of Standing NATO Maritime Group Two (SNMG2) FGS BONN is the first NATO ship to enter the area of activity for a first patrol around the Greek island of Lesbos. Over the weekend, NATO had expanded the area of activity into the territorial waters of Turkey and Greece, in close coordination with both Allies. NATO also expanded its cooperation with the EU's border agency Frontex.
- NATO and Armenia committed to partnership NATO 09 Mar 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandyan and Armenian Defence Minister Seyran Ohanyan on Wednesday (9 March 2016) for talks on the partnership between the Alliance and Yerevan. The Secretary General thanked Armenia for its contributions to NATO's missions in Afghanistan and Kosovo.
- Russia's Eastern Military District Obtains Orlan-10 Hi-Tech Drones Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- The armed forces of Russia's Eastern Military District (EMD) have received five Orlan-10 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), which are able to operate for up to 18 hours and at high altitudes, the district's spokesman, Alexander Gordeev, said Wednesday.
- Russia Main Threat to EU, NATO Cyber Security - Estonian Intelligence Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- A report by the Estonian Information Board said that Russia poses a major cyber security threat to the European Union and NATO.
- US, Israel Head Closer to New Defense Pact, Despite Tension VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- The United States signaled Wednesday that it is moving toward a new package of military assistance to Israel, its closest Middle Eastern ally, even as relations between U.S. President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu remain fraught with tension.
- Chinese naval escort fleet returns from mission in Somali waters People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- A Chinese naval fleet returned from an escort mission in the Gulf of Aden and Somali waters on Tuesday to a military port in Sanya City in the southern island province of Hainan, the PLA Daily reported Wednesday.
- Chinese facilities in Djibouti not military base, military expert says People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- What China plans to build in Djibouti are logistics facilities which should not be regarded as military base in respect of functions and scales, a military expert told Global Times.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Work for Mounting Nuclear Warheads on Ballistic Rockets KCNA 09 Mar 2016 -- "He listened with great attention to the briefing on the research conducted to tip various type tactical and strategic ballistic rockets with nuclear warheads and acquainted himself with the specifications and mechanism of the miniaturized powerful nuclear warheads with a Korean-style structure of mixed charge."
- S. Korea refutes DPRK's claim to have miniaturized nuke warheads People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Wednesday refuted claims by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) that it has successfully miniaturized nuclear warheads small enough to mount on ballistic missiles.
- Seoul Unable to Confirm Pyongyang Possesses Miniature Nuclear Warheads Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Seoul cannot yet confirm that Pyongyang has miniaturized nuclear warheads that can fit on ballistic missiles, despite North Korea's claims, South Korean media reported Wednesday.
- North Korea Fires More Missiles into the Sea VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- South Korea's military says North Korea has fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea, apparently a response to continuing military exercises by South Korea and the United States.
- N Korea Successfully Miniaturizes Nuclear Warheads People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- North Korean top leader Kim Jong-Un is being quoted saying his country's military scientists have successfully miniaturized a thermo-nuclear warhead.
- Iran test-fires two ballistic missiles during large-scale drills Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has successfully test-fired two ballistic missiles in line with the country's defense doctrine.
- Iran Launches Second Day of Ballistic Missile Tests VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- Iran says it launched two ballistic test missiles Wednesday, purportedly inscribing them with a message in Hebrew that 'Israel should be wiped from the pages of history.'
- Taiwan to spend NT$5.76 billion in weapon systems development CNA 09 Mar 2016 -- Taiwan will allocate NT$5.76 billion (US$175 million) this year for research and development into home-grown weapon systems, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Wednesday.
- UK beats target for training Ukrainian Armed Forces UK MOD 09 Mar 2016 -- The UK has already met the target of training 2,000 members of the Ukrainian Armed Forces (UAF) by the end of the financial year.
- Philippines to Lease Five Japan Planes for Patrols in Disputed S China Sea Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- The Philippines plans to lease five military aircraft from Japan for maritime patrols in the South China Sea, the Southeast Asian nation's President Benigno Aquino said Wednesday.
- March 9, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Mar 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 3/9/2016 The White House 09 Mar 2016
- 9 March 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Mar 2016
- In Vietnam, Calls for US-led Naval Initiative in South China Sea VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- Vietnam's social network users have welcomed a plan to establish an informal naval coalition led by the United States, expressing hope it will contain China's expansion in the South China Sea.
- Chinese ships keep close watch on U.S. Navy aircraft carrier strike group in S. China Sea People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- According to U.S. media, the U.S. has had the USS John S. Stennis, a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, as well as the guided-missile destroyers USS Chung-Hoon and USS Stockdale, plus guided-missile cruiser USS Mobile Bay and supply ship USNS Rainier, in the eastern part of the South China Sea since March 1 .
- Saudi Arabia Refutes Reports on Secret Talks Between Riyadh, Houthis Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Riyadh has not held secret talks with representatives of the Houthi rebels on the settlement of the Yemeni crisis, Adviser to the Saudi Minister of Defense Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said Wednesday.
- Yemeni FM Refutes Reports on Peace Talks Between Saudi Arabia, Houthis Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdul-Malek Mekhlafi on Wednesday denied reports that representatives of the Houthi rebels and the government of Saudi Arabia held talks on the peaceful settlement of the crisis in Yemen.
- Saudi-led coalition reaches truce deal with Yemen's rebel Houthis People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- Yemen's foreign minister said on Wednesday that the Saudi-led coalition has reached a truce deal with Yemen's Shiite Houthi rebels along borders between the two countries.
- Yemen denies stopping military operations along Saudi border Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Yemen's army says its operations backed by popular committees are underway along the border with Saudi Arabia, dismissing rumors of a reduction in the retaliatory operations.
- Yemen's Houthis, Saudi Arabia exchange prisoners: Report Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has freed a Saudi soldier in exchange for seven detained Yemenis as part of a tribally-mediated agreement, a report says.
- Yemeni forces capture 150 Saudi mercenaries in Bayda: al-Masirah Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Yemeni forces have reportedly captured at least 150 Saudi mercenaries in the war-hit country's central province of al-Bayda.
- Russian, Syrian Aviation Drives Nusra Front Away From Suburbs of Idlib Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces and the Syrian aviation have driven al-Nusra Front militants away from the Syrian city of Idlib.
- Five Syrian Moderate Opposition Commanders Join Ceasefire - Russian MoD Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Truce agreements with five Syria's moderate opposition field commanders have been concluded in the past 24 hours, the Russian Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Syrian Aviation Drops Leaflets Urging Deir ez-Zor Militants to Surrender Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- Syrian army helicopters dropped leaflets across a number of villages in the eastern Syrian province of Deir ez-Zor calling on militants to lay down arms, local sources told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Syrian Army Wins Back Strategic Region in Homs in Blitz Offensive Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian Army seized back part of al-Quaryatayn city in the eastern part of Homs province and a strategic hilltop as part of its ongoing advance on Daesh terrorists, Iran's Fars news agency reported.
- UN: Syria talks to begin next week, as humanitarian aid reaches more besieged areas UN News 09 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria today announced that 'substantive' UN-mediated peace talks will begin next Monday, as humanitarian aid convoys continue to reach more people in besieged and hard-to-reach areas following a nationwide cessation of hostilities that began on 27 February.
- Daesh rocket attacks kill 9 civilians in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- At least nine civilians have been killed and 15 others injured in rocket attacks by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group on residential neighborhoods in the province of Dayr al-Zawr in eastern Syria.
- Ceasefire in Syria an open-ended process: UN envoy Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura says the nearly two-week-old ceasefire in Syria does not need to be renewed because of its "open-ended" nature.
- Syrian forces seize four villages from Takfiri militants in Aleppo Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Syrian government forces have seized four villages from Takfiri militants in the northern province of Aleppo, local media report.
- Syria militants use phosphorus in chemical attack in Aleppo: Kurds Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Militant groups operating in Syria have used yellow phosphorous in a chemical attack on a mainly Kurdish residential district in the northern city of Aleppo, a Syrian Kurdish group says.
- War in Syria could cost $1.3 trillion by 2020: Report Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- An international charity organization says the years-long war in Syria will cost the country $1.3 trillion if the conflict lasts until 2020.
- Syria Talks Open; Focus on Key Issues Expected Monday VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- United Nations Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura says "substantive" talks on a political transition in Syria are expected to begin on Monday and will not last beyond March 24.
- Daesh chemical arms expert captured in Iraq: Officials Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Iraqi intelligence officials say head of the Daesh terror group's unit, which is responsible for developing chemical weapons has been arrested in a February raid in the northern part of the country.
- US Holds Islamic State Agent Tied to Chemical Weapons VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- U.S. defense officials say an Islamic State operative captured by American special-operations forces is a key figure in the militant group's chemical-weapons program in Iraq, where new gas attacks by the terror group were reported Wednesday.
- Tunisian forces kill ten militants suspected of having links to Daesh Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Tunisian security forces have killed at least ten militants suspected of having links to the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group near the Libyan border.
- Turkey to finish anti-PKK military offensive in Sur soon Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Turkey's interior minister says the country's military operations against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the Sur district of the southeastern city of Diyarbakir will finish soon in the light of victories against the militants.
- Egyptian air force kills 17 militants in Sinai Peninsula Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- More than a dozen Takfiri militants in Egypt have reportedly been killed in military assaults against their positions in the North African country's restive Sinai Peninsula.
- Two Years After Crimea Annexation, Tatars' Resentment Growing VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- Two years after Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimean peninsula, resentment is building among the region's Tatars. The Muslim minority group is native to Crimea. But many have been leaving the peninsula, saying Russian authorities are running them out of government jobs and taking away the autonomy that they once enjoyed under Ukrainian rule.
- China to start inspecting North Korean ships Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- China will start inspecting the North Korean ships that dock at its ports for banned cargo as part of new international sanctions against Pyongyang.
- KCNA Commentary Urges Enemies Not to Misjudge DPRK's Warnings KCNA 09 Mar 2016 -- The U.S. imperialists and south Korean puppet warmongers kicked off Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 joint military exercises across south Korea on March 7 despite warnings of the DPRK.
- Newspapers Denounce Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 Joint Military Drills KCNA 09 Mar 2016 -- Newspapers of the DPRK on Wednesday denounce the largest-ever joint military drills Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 launched by the U.S. imperialists and south Korean puppet forces.
- North Korean Propaganda War Goes Nuclear VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said Wednesday his country has developed miniature nuclear warheads that can fit on a ballistic missile.
- 'No terrorist attack can reverse Tunisia's democracy,' UN Security Council says UN News 09 Mar 2016 -- Strongly condemning the 7 March terrorist attack in Tunisia, the United Nations Security Council last night stressed that "no terrorist attack can reverse Tunisia's democracy and its efforts towards economic recovery and development."
- Turkey's FM: Ankara can't force refugees back to war, terror Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Faced with widespread criticism, Turkey says it has no intention to send asylum seekers back to conflict zones under a potential agreement with the European Union aimed at stemming the flow of refugees into Europe.
- Cuba Warns Against US Meddling; White House Unconcerned VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- The White House said it is "not particularly concerned" about an editorial published in Cuba's state newspaper warning the United States against meddling in its internal affairs. The editorial comes as President Barack Obama prepares for a historic visit to Havana, March 21-22.
- Xi urges 'sincere and honest' government-business relations People's Daily 09 Mar 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping recently urged a new type of government-business relations characterized by sincerity and honesty. NPC deputies and political advisors attending the ongoing two sessions believed that the new definition will help rectify some problematic official-businessman relations.
- US Jury Convicts Ex-Air Force Member of Trying to Join IS VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- A federal jury in New York Wednesday found a former member of the U.S. Air Force guilty of trying to enter Syria and join Islamic State.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|