01 March 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 01 Mar 2016 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 01 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 01 Mar 2016 -- Royal Air Force aircraft have inflicted further losses on Daesh terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
- Dunford Arrives in Kabul for Change of Command, Consultations with Afghans AFPS 01 Mar 2016 -- Marine Corps Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. arrived here today to attend the change of command ceremony for U.S. Forces Afghanistan and NATO's Resolute Support Mission.
- US drone strikes kill 9 in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan say at least nine people have lost their lives in two US drone strikes in the country's troubled eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Gen. Breedlove in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 01 Mar 2016 -- Presenter: General Philip Breedlove, commander, U.S. European Command, and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter in San Francisco, California. DoD 01 Mar 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Breedlove: European Security Situation 'Serious,' 'Complicated' AFPS 01 Mar 2016 -- As the United States and its European partners work together to deter Russia, the commander of U.S. forces in Europe told a Senate panel today they're also 'preparing for conflict if necessary.'
- Joint Staff Surgeon General Testifies on Future Medical Readiness AFPS 01 Mar 2016 -- Military medicine must be better aligned to continue demonstrating its readiness posture to Defense Department senior leaders, the joint staff surgeon general told a House Armed Service Committee panel, Feb. 26.
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco, California DoD 01 Mar 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Warfighting Lab promotes innovation across force USMC News 01 Mar 2016 -- Nearly 200 innovative and disruptive thinkers from the private sector, across the Department of Defense and academia came together at the Marine Corps' Force Development 25 Innovation Symposium to help the Corps jump start the change.
- USNS Grapple Deploys to Africa NNS 01 Mar 2016 -- Military Sealift Command's USNS Grapple (T-ARS 53) departed from Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story in Virginia Beach Feb. 29 to begin a deployment in support of U.S. Navy and allied operation in the 6th Fleet's area of operations.
- F-15 maintainers keep exercise going in Portugal AFNS 01 Mar 2016 -- The 493rd Aircraft Maintenance Unit is playing a major role to keep their F-15C and D Eagles flying high during exercise Real Thaw, a Portuguese-led, large joint and combined forces exercise that trains participating forces on a vast range of battlefield mission sets.
- Marine aircraft wing provides assets in Cobra Gold USMC News 01 Mar 2016 -- Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 167 is among one of the squadrons aiding in the air-ground capabilities. HMLA 167 is currently supporting Marine Aircraft Group 36, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force in Thailand during Cobra Gold 16 as part of the unit deployment program.
- Marine Air-Ground team conducts large scale assault, offensive air support operations during Eager Response 16 USMC News 01 Mar 2016 -- In order to demonstrate the ability to transport, tactically insert, support, and conduct high-intensity, combined-arms operations with a battalion-sized infantry force, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing conducted a large-scale tactical exercise in conjunction with 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division at Fort Stewart, Georgia, during Exercise Eager Response, Feb. 24-29.
- Boxer ARG, 13th MEU Arrive in 7th Fleet Area of Operations NNS 01 Mar 2016 -- The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (13th MEU) team began operating in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operations, Feb. 27.
- Secretary General in Baghdad: NATO stands with Iraq in the fight against extremism NATO 01 Mar 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg praised the bravery of Iraqi security forces and highlighted NATO support during an official visit to Iraq on 1 March 2016.
- Russia's S-400 Missile Systems Enter Combat Duty in Western Siberia Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- Advanced S-400 air defense systems entered combat duty in Western Siberia.
- Russia's Pacific Fleet Counter-Terror Boats Ready for Sea After Tests Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- The Russian fleet said Tuesday that the country's Pacific Fleet patrol boat crews responsible for combating sabotage and terrorist groups are ready for sea tasks.
- NATO Commander: Russia Threat to US, Its Allies and Partners VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- NATO's military commander has told the U.S. lawmakers that Russia poses a long-term threat to the United States and to its European allies and partners.
- Saudi says discussed Syria incursion with US Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- A Saudi official says the kingdom and the US discussed the possibility of a ground incursion in Syria two weeks ago but they have not made a decision.
- Syria Ground Operation Yet to Be Discussed at Military Level - Riyadh Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- A ground operation in Syria is yet to be discussed at a military level, Saudi Defense Ministry adviser Ahmed Asiri told Sputnik.
- Saudi Jets to Launch Missions From Turkish Airbase Upon US Order - Riyadh Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- According to the Saudi Defense Ministry, Riyadh will kick off it's combat missions in Syria as soon as the United States gives the green light.
- Israel Defense Ministry Starts Supplying New SAM Missile System to Army Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- Israel's Defense Ministry has begun supplying the David's Sling surface-to-air missile system, jointly developed by Israel and the United States, to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), the ministry said Tuesday.
- Iran Navy flotilla docks at Tanzania port Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- An Iranian Navy fleet has docked at Tanzania's Port city of Dar es Salaam in line with the Islamic Republic's strategy of expanding its naval presence in high seas.
- Gen. Breedlove: US Begins Training of Ukraine Defense Ministry Forces Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- The United States has started training of Ukrainian Ministry of Defense forces in the western part of the country, NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe Gen. Philip Breedlove told the US Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday.
- Tunisia Confirms British Instructors to Train Local Border Guards Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- British instructors will arrive in Tunisia to assist in training of local border guards, a spokesman for the Tunisian Defense Ministry told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- March 1, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 01 Mar 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 3/1/16 The White House 01 Mar 2016
- 1 March 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 01 Mar 2016
- China urges US not to act as international judge in South China Sea disputes People's Daily 01 Mar 2016 -- China urges the U.S. to stop playing the role of international judge and pointing fingers in the South China Sea disputes, said a spokesperson for China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Monday at a press conference.
- Saudi envoy defends military intervention in Yemen Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- Saudi Arabia defends its war in Yemen after an EU call for arms embargo on Riyadh amid reports of high civilian casualties in the impoverished country.
- Saudi airstrike kills over two dozen in Yemen Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- More than two dozen civilians have lost their lives in another Saudi aerial attack against a residential neighborhood in Yemen's west-central Yemen province of Sana'a.
- Syria: UN-mediated peace talks to resume on 9 March UN News 01 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, today announced that intra-Syrian peace talks he has been mediating in Geneva will resume next Wednesday, 9 March.
- Next round of Syria talks to open on March 9: UN envoy Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said Tuesday the next round of negotiations to end the deadly conflict in the Arab country will kick off on March 9.
- Russia after Turkey-Syria border closure over arms flow Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- Russia's foreign minister has called for the closure of the Turkish border with Syria, saying the region is used to smuggle weapons into the Arab country to supply terror groups operating in Syria.
- Syria patience limited on truce breaches: President Assad Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- President Bashar al-Assad of Syria says the army has so far refrained from responding to breaches of the ceasefire in the country but there are 'limits' to its patience.
- Daesh Prepares 'Powerful Attack' on Key Kurdish-Held Syrian City Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- Daesh terrorists are preparing a new attack on the Kurdish-held city of Tell Abyad in Syria, Kurdistan National Congress spokesman Selahattin Soro said Tuesday.
- Russian Jets Not Striking Syrian Moderate Opposition Observing Truce Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- Russian warplanes did not attack regions controlled by Syria's 'moderate' opposition whose members joined the Moscow-Washington ceasefire agreement.
- Daesh Executes 8 Dutch Members for Attempt to Desert Near Raqqa - Source Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- Daesh executed eight militants near Daesh's de facto capital of Raqqa on suspicion they were plotting to desert, a source among the residents told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Syrian Army Wins Back Hama-Aleppo Supply Line Amid Nationwide Offensive Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian Army and its popular allies have recaptured the government forces' main supply line from Hama to Aleppo after a series of fierce firefights with Daesh terrorists, Iran's Fars news agency reported.
- Assad: Syria Truce a 'Glimmer of Hope' VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Tuesday the cessation of hostilities in his country's five-year war is a 'glimmer of hope.'
- Iraq: UN reports more than 400 civilians killed in February; cites 'viciousness' of attacks UN News 01 Mar 2016 -- Acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq claimed the lives of 670 people, including 410 civilians, in February 2016, the United Nations political mission in that country has reported.
- Iraq's forces liberate key district near Tikrit Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- Iraq's military and volunteer fighters have liberated a key district from the grip of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists north of the country.
- Iraq launches operation to purge Samarra Island Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- Security forces in Iraq have launched a military operation in order to purge a district in Salahuddin Province of Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- UN warns Central Africa faces 'dire' food shortage Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations has raised alarm about extreme food shortage in the Central African Republic (CAR).
- War weary families in Central African Republic face dire food situation - UN UN News 01 Mar 2016 -- Three years of conflict and ongoing displacements in the Central African Republic (CAR) continue to disrupt agriculture and severely constrain people's access to food, as they struggle with the effects of multiple poor harvests, disrupted markets and soaring prices for many staple foods, two United Nations agencies warned today.
- South Sudan Rebel Troops May Not Arrive in Juba Tuesday VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- It appears there is another delay to the arrival in Juba of South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar's forces, a crucial part to the implementation of the agreement signed last August between the Juba government and the SPLM-In Opposition.
- UN Seeks Durable Solutions for DRC Displacement Crisis VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations reports that efforts are under way to bring an end to the long-standing displacement crisis in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
- ICC Mulls Unprecedented War Crimes Trial VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- Judges at the International Criminal Court in The Hague began considering arguments Tuesday on whether to open the court's first-ever war crimes trial targeting the destruction of religious or cultural heritage. Malian citizen Ahmad al-Faqi al-Mahdi is accused of overseeing 2012 attacks on cherished religious sites in Mali's ancient city of Timbuktu.
- ICC charges Malian over attacking historical sites in Timbutku Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- Prosecutors at the International Criminal Court (ICC) have charged a Malian Takfiri militant with war crimes over attacks on centuries-old shrines at the world heritage site of Timbuktu in 2012.
- S. Korean president says to force DPRK to give up nuke program People's Daily 01 Mar 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye said Tuesday that the government will force the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to give up its nuclear program based on firmer defense readiness and international cooperation.
- Security Council to vote fresh North Korea sanctions Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- The UN Security Council is set to vote on a US-engineered resolution that would impose a package of unprecedented sanctions on North Korea after its recent nuclear test and rocket launch.
- Pyongyang Rejects Seoul's Call to Abandon Nuke Program Before Peace Treaty Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has rejected the call made by its south neighbor to abandon its nuclear program before having any discussions on a peace agreement, it was reported in the media Tuesday.
- China to Strictly Follow Measures Stipulated in UN Resolution on N Korea Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- China will strictly follow the measures stipulated in a new UN Security Council resolution on North Korea which aims to limit Pyongyang's nuclear and military development, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said Tuesday.
- UN Security Council Delays Vote on North Korea Sanctions VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- The U.N. Security Council has postponed until Wednesday a vote on resolution that would impose new sanctions on North Korea in response to its latest nuclear test and long-range missile launch.
- Iran's Future Leadership: Not Just Up To 'Experts' VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- The issue of succession to the supreme leadership is generally a taboo subject in Iran. It probably would not have been discussed at all in recent weeks if the current supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, hadn't alluded to his inevitable demise in a speech last September.
- Bin Laden Predicted 'Islamic State' Would Fail VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- Osama bin Laden predicted the demise of the Islamic State (IS), warning before his death that any effort by jihadists to declare a caliphate before defeating the West would be doomed to fail.
- Bin Laden Wanted $29 Million Estate Spent on Jihad VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- Osama bin Laden, who ordered the 2001 al-Qaida attacks on the United States that killed nearly 3,000 people, claimed in his last will to have about $29 million in personal wealth, most of which he wanted spent 'on jihad, for the sake of Allah.'
- Al-Qaida Recruitment in Syria May Jump VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- Rebel commanders and opposition activists are warning that jihadist recruitment of Syrian fighters is likely to jump in the coming months because of the collapse of some moderate militias and a shake-up of others in the wake of a Russian-backed Syrian government offensive in northern Syria.
- Afghanistan Welcomes Chinese Anti-terror Proposal VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- China's military chief General Fang Fenghui is in the Afghan capital, Kabul, talking to the Afghan leadership about a four-nation regional alliance against terrorism.
- UNHCR: Europe On 'Cusp' Of Self-Induced Humanitarian Crisis RFE/RL 01 Mar 2016 -- The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has criticized European countries over a 'domino-like' buildup of tens of thousands of refugees in Greece, warning that the continent is on the 'cusp of a self-induced' humanitarian crisis if governments fail to work together.
- Afghan Rights Group Says Women, Girls Face Invasive 'Virginity Tests' RFE/RL 01 Mar 2016 -- An Afghan human rights watchdog has urged the government to take measures against the practice of 'virginity' tests by state doctors that it says amount to 'torture' and 'sexual harassment.'
- Ukraine Raises Electricity Rates For Households RFE/RL 01 Mar 2016 -- For more than 10 ten years, electricity rates for consumers hardly changed, and costs for power generation and distribution were passed on to industry, small businesses, and government agencies, Vasyl Kotko, the chairman of Ukraine's National Energy Regulatory Commission (NERC), explained.
- Senior UN relief official calls for end to discrimination against displaced Muslims in Myanmar UN News 01 Mar 2016 -- Many of the Muslims displaced by inter-communal violence in Myanmar are still prevented from moving freely and often denied access to local hospitals, a senior United Nations humanitarian official said today, calling for an end to such discriminatory practices.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|