09 February 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 Feb 2016 [PDF]
- Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 09 Feb 2016-- Daesh terrorists have been repeatedly struck in the last few days by Royal Air Force aircraft providing support to Iraqi ground forces.
- Senior Taliban commander dies of cancer in Pakistan Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- A senior member of Taliban's leadership died in a hospital in Pakistan's southwest, in what could embarrass Islamabad and expose its alleged links to the militants in neighboring Afghanistan.
- US Embassy Warns of Attacks Targeting Foreigners in Kabul VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- The United States has warned its citizens in Afghanistan that insurgents are planning to attack foreign guest houses in the capital city of Kabul as of early this month.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US spy chief warns of new Cold War between US, Russia Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- The US intelligence chief has warned that tensions between the United States and Russia are spiraling into a new Cold War.
- U.S. Intelligence Chief: IS, 'Assertive' Russia Among Unprecedented Challenges RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- U.S. National Intelligence Director James Clapper says that Russia remains intent on pursuing an 'assertive foreign policy' in 2016, including hampering Ukraine's Western aspirations.
- Department of Defense (DoD) Releases Fiscal Year 2017 President's Budget Proposal DoD 09 Feb 2016-- Today President Barack Obama sent Congress a proposed budget request of $582.7 billion in discretionary budget authority to fund the Department of Defense in Fiscal Year 2017 (FY 2017).
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Vice Adm. Syring on the FY 2017 Missile Defense Agency Budget in the Pentagon Press Briefing Room DoD 09 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Vice Adm. Syring
- AF presents fiscal year 2017 budget AFNS 09 Feb 2016 -- The Air Force presented its fiscal year 2017 president's budget request Feb. 9 following the Defense Department and sister services' budget briefings.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Under Secretary of Defense McCord and Gen. Ierardi on the FY 2017 Defense Department Budget Request in the Pentagon Press Briefing Room DoD 09 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) and Chief Financial Officer Mike McCord and Director, Force Structure, Resources and Assessment, Joint Staff Lieutenant General Gen. Anthony R. Ierardi
- DoD Releases Military Intelligence Program (MIP) Request for Fiscal Year 2017 DoD 09 Feb 2016 -- The Department of Defense released today the Military Intelligence Program (MIP) top line budget request for fiscal year 2017. The total, which includes both the base budget and Overseas Contingency Operations funding, is $16.8 billion.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Deputy Secretary Work and Gen. Selva on the FY 2017 Defense Department Budget Request in the Pentagon Press Briefing Room DoD 09 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work; Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Chairman General Paul J. Selva
- Deputy Secretary: Fiscal 2017 Budget Request Takes Long View AFPS 09 Feb 2016 -- The fiscal year 2017 defense budget request takes the long view of funding the department, Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work said here today.
- Budget Request Balances Resources, Capabilities, Vice Chairman Says AFPS 09 Feb 2016 -- The fiscal year 2017 defense budget request represents "the best possible balance of capacity, capability and readiness investments based upon the resources available," the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- Department of the Navy Releases Fiscal Year 2017 Budget Proposal NNS 09 Feb 2016 -- The Department of the Navy (DoN) released its proposed $165 billion (Base and Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO)) budget Feb. 9 for fiscal year (FY) 2017.
- Pentagon Budgets Nearly $60 Billion for Overseas Operations VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- The Pentagon's budget for next year includes $58.8 billion for overseas contingency operations (OCO), which will finance war efforts from Iraq to Afghanistan and quadruple funding for activities to reassure European allies.
- Comptroller: FY2017 Defense Budget Request Seeks Balance AFPS 09 Feb 2016 -- Balance is at the heart of the fiscal 2017 defense budget request, the DoD comptroller said during an interview yesterday.
- Obama's FY 2017 Budget Addresses Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, Terrorism AFPS 09 Feb 2016 -- President Barack Obama's fiscal year 2017 defense budget request highlights defending against challenges posed by Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and terrorist groups, a senior defense official said on background.
- Obama Seeking $19 Billion for National Cybersecurity VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama Tuesday announced a national cybersecurity plan, calling cyberthreats among 'the most urgent dangers to America's economic and national security.'
- Media Availability With Secretary Carter en route to Brussels, Belgium DoD 09 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- NAVIDFOR Changes Name to Naval Information Forces NNS 09 Feb 2016 -- Rear Adm. Matthew J. Kohler, commander, Naval Information Forces (NAVIFOR) announced last month that Navy Information Dominance Forces is changing its name to Naval Information Forces.
- Arabian Gulf Shield improves interoperability AFNS 09 Feb 2016 -- Training concluded Feb. 3 at Al Udeid Air Base with a scenario designed to test Gulf Cooperation Council Liaison Officer (GCC LNO) procedures and connectivity to host nation air operations centers.
- KC-135 integral to F-16 training in Greece AFNS 09 Feb 2016 -- The first time the Air Force attempted to refuel an aircraft in flight, aircrews successfully stayed aloft for 151 hours. That was over 85 years ago, and the Air Force today has made quite a few innovations since then.
- Marines with HMH-464 load CH-53Es in preparation for Operation Cold Response USMC News 09 Feb 2016 -- Getting ready to battle the cold in Norway, Marines with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 464 prepared for Operation Cold Response 2016 by loading CH-53E Super Stallions into a massive C-5 Galaxy at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, Feb. 3.
- Tucson Visits Sasebo During Indo-Asia-Pacific Deployment NNS 09 Feb 2016 -- Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Tucson (SSN 770) arrived at Fleet Activities Sasebo, Feb. 8, for a visit as part of its deployment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.
- F-35 vs. LRS-B: Battle Brewing Behind Pentagon's Closed Doors Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- Development of the infamous F-35 fighter jet has already cost the Pentagon some $400 billion, and the program requires more funding before it can be declared fully operational. But, as the US Air Force sets its sights on its next-generation Long Range Strike-Bomber, defense officials are fighting over which plane should receive funding priority.
- Secretary General previews NATO Defence Ministers meeting NATO 09 Feb 2016 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg briefed media on Tuesday (9 February 2016) on the topics of this week's Defence Ministers meeting. On Wednesday and Thursday, ministers will take further steps to reinforce the Alliance's collective defence and deterrence. "Effective deterrence and defence requires both forward presence of Allied forces, and our ability to reinforce them quickly," said Mr. Stoltenberg. Ministers are expected to agree on an enhanced forward presence in the eastern part of the Alliance.
- NATO Must Face Varied Threats, Secretary General Says AFPS 09 Feb 2016 -- The NATO defense ministers meeting beginning tomorrow will posture the alliance to face threats from any direction, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in Brussels today.
- Russian Military to Receive Five An-148 Passenger Planes in 2016 Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry expects to receive five Antonov An-148 passenger jets in 2016 without production delays, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Tuesday.
- Iran Air Force equipped with Nasr cruise missiles Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Defense Ministry has delivered the first batch of a newly developed air-launched cruise missile, dubbed Nasr (Victory), to the country's Air Force.
- US deploying anti-missile system on N Korea's doorstep Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- The US Department of Defense says it is planning to deploy an advanced missile system to South Korea "as quickly as possible" to counter the growing threat of Pyongyang's weapons capabilities.
- US Spy Chief: N. Korea Has Restarted Plutonium Reactor VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- North Korea could start gathering plutonium from a restarted reactor "within weeks," providing Pyongyang with more fuel for nuclear weapons, the top. U.S. intelligence official warned lawmakers.
- North Korea rocket has most of US within reach: South official Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- South Korea says a long-range rocket recently launched by the North is capable of reaching most of the United States as it appears to be more powerful than the previous model.
- Military maneuver planned in S Arabia Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Thousands of soldiers from regional countries are set to participate in a military maneuver in Saudi Arabia, media reports say.
- Kiev's Loss From Ending Military Deals With Moscow Estimated at $2.2Bln Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin estimated Ukraine's losses from terminating contracts in the space and military spheres with Russia are 12 times higher than the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) projections.
- India, Israel Prepare $3-Billion Defense Deals Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- India is preparing to conclude a set of bilateral defense agreements with Israel, worth $3 billion, local media reported Tuesday.
- Russian Helicopters Company Delivers Mi-171E Chopper to Ugandan Gov't Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- The Russian Helicopters company has supplied a Mi-171E helicopter, designed for corporate and VIP transportation, to the Ugandan government under a contract signed in 2015, the manufacturer's press service said Tuesday.
- Press Briefing on the FY17 Budget, 2/9/2016 The White House 09 Feb 2016
- Briefing on the President's FY17 Budget Request for the U.S. Department of State and USAID US Dept. of State 09 Feb 2016
- Background Briefing on the President's FY17 Budget Request for the U.S. Department of State and USAID US Dept. of State 09 Feb 2016
- February 9, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Feb 2016
- 9 February 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Feb 2016
- World Humanitarian Summit must be 'turning point' in cooperation to tackle crises - UN chief UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- World leaders must come together in 2016 to renew their commitments to humanity and unite to prevent and end crisis and reduce vulnerability, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today, telling UN Member States that the World Humanitarian Summit will provide an opportunity for "concrete steps towards ending the suffering experienced by billions of people today."
- Yemeni forces capture Saudi town, villages in Asir Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- The Yemeni army, backed by Popular Committees loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, has established control over a Saudi border town.
- 6 Saudi soldiers slain in Yemeni reprisal rocket attack Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Six Saudi soldiers were killed in a retaliatory rocket attack Tuesday by fighters from the Houthi Ansarullah movement of Yemen and allied military units.
- Saudi air raids claim more lives in Yemen Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Saudi warplanes have targeted several areas across Yemen in the ongoing campaign against the country, leaving at least five people dead.
- Turkey, US Splits Deepen Over Support for Kurdish Militants VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- The rift between Turkey and the U.S. widened late Tuesday when Ankara summoned the American ambassador, John Bass, to protest remarks by a State Department spokesman who said Washington does not consider Syria's Kurdish Democracy Union Party (PYD) a terrorist organization.
- Turkish FM Says US Must Choose Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- The United States must choose between Turkey and the Syrian Kurds' Democratic Union Party (PYD), Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Tuesday.
- Turkey's Erdogan Issues Ultimatum to US VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has issued an ultimatum to the United States to choose between Turkey and Syrian Kurds. U.S. forces have been working closely with the Syrian Kurdish group the PYD in the battle against Islamic State.
- Saudis, UAE May Lack 'Capacity' to Help in Syria, US Officials Say VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- Top U.S. intelligence officials appear to be raising concerns about offers by some Arab countries to put boots on the ground to fight Islamic State militants in Syria.
- Russian FM reaffirms commitment to Syrian national sovereignty IRNA 09 Feb 2016 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Oleg Syromolotov said on Tuesday Russia respects Syrian national sovereignty.
- Kremlin rejects Merkel criticism over Syria Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- A senior Kremlin official has rejected a statement by German Chancellor Angela Merkel that Russia's campaign in Syria is causing the suffering of civilians.
- After Freeing Aleppo Syrian Army, Russian Aircraft Could Focus on Raqqa Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- The Damascus-led army and Russian aerial forces are apparently close to freeing Syria's largest city of Aleppo, raising hopes that Raqqa, the unofficial capital of Daesh's crumbling Islamic state, could be next.
- Russian Airstrikes in Syria to Face Scrutiny at Munich Talks VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- Russia's stepped up aerial bombardment in Syria will be a focal point for the United States and other members of the International Syria Support Group when it meets this week in Germany.
- Saudi Arabia says US has welcomed troops offer for Syria Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia says the United States has welcomed Riyadh's offer to contribute troops to a potential ground incursion by a US-led coalition in Syria.
- Saudi troops in Syria very dangerous: Iran official ISNA 09 Feb 2016 -- Iran's top security official warned that a potential troop deployment by regional countries to Syria would be a "very dangerous" decision.
- Syria opposition urges end to Russian anti-terror air strikes Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- The Saudi-backed Syrian opposition says Russia should immediately stop its anti-terror airstrikes on militant-held areas as a condition for its participation in peace talks with the Damascus government.
- Syrian forces liberate four villages in Latakia Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian army, backed by volunteer forces, has launched successful offensives against Takfiri militants in the coastal province of Latakia, winning back four strategic villages.
- Syrian Army Scores Strategic Victories on All Fronts Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- In a series of fierce clashes with terrorists, the Syrian army backed by aerial support managed to take control over a strategic town and a key height in the province of Aleppo.
- UN agency provides food to Syrians fleeing Aleppo fighting UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) announced today it has started distributing urgently needed food to people displaced by the recent surge in violence in Syria's northern Aleppo.
- UN Warns of Crisis as Syrian Forces Squeeze Aleppo VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations warned Tuesday that if pro-government forces in Syria succeed in encircling the strategic city of Aleppo then up to 300,000 people could be cut off from humanitarian aid.
- Syrian Government Forces 25 Kilometers From Turkey's Border VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- For the first time since August 2013, forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad are within 25 kilometers of the Turkish border in northern Syria.
- Troops Fully Recapture Ramadi, Iraq Says VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- Iraq says its forces have completely recaptured the city of Ramadi and surrounding areas from Islamic State, but now must deal with the thousands of bombs the terrorists planted throughout the city.
- Iraqi forces retake key road connecting Ramadi to Baghdad Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Iraqi forces have recaptured several areas from Deash, including a strategic road that connects the western city of Ramadi to a military base in the capital Baghdad.
- Iraqi Forces Liberate Eastern Part of Ramadi From Daesh Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- The armed forces of Iraq recaptured territory to the east of Ramadi from Daesh terrorists, an official told local media.
- Iraqi Army Deploys Thousands of Troops to Liberate Mosul From Daesh Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- The Iraqi army is sending thousands of soldiers to a northern base for operational training to retake Daesh's hub city of Mosul, officials said on Monday.
- US Army Study: Iraq's Mosul Dam at 'Higher Risk' of Failure VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- U.S. engineers examining northern Iraq's Mosul dam say they have found new signs of distress in the massive structure and it is now at 'significantly higher risk' of failure that could devastate vast areas to the south.
- Thai army torturing detainees in conflict-torn south: Rights report Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Human rights groups say Thailand's military has brutally tortured scores of prisoners in the country's south, which has witnessed over a decade of anti-government militancy.
- Sri Lanka war crimes in the spotlight as UN rights chief visits IRIN 09 Feb 2016 -- Sri Lanka's president is unlikely to cave in any time soon to pressure for international participation in a war crimes tribunal, as the United Nations rights chief urged today. But he could turn the situation to his advantage by offering up less controversial reforms to win back domestic political support and satisfy the international community.
- After 30 years of conflict, Sri Lanka still in 'early stages of renewal' - UN rights chief UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- After nearly 30 years of conflict and acrimony that not only cost tens of thousands of lives but also eroded vital components of the State, Sri Lanka is still in the early stages of renewal, the United Nations human rights chief said today, ending a mission to the country.
- Books not bombs for Sudan refugees IRIN 09 Feb 2016 -- One of the first stops for people fleeing the conflict in Sudan's South Kordofan region is the town of Yida, 20 kilometres across the border in South Sudan.
- Security Council boosts number of corrections officers for UN mission in Central African Republic UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- Determining that the situation in the Central African Republic (CAR) remains a threat to international peace and security, the United Nations Security Council decided today to maintain the current personnel ceiling of more than 12,800 personnel in the military and police components of the UN peacekeeping operation in the country and to increase the number of corrections officers.
- US spy chief says North Korea close to producing plutonium sufficient for bomb Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- US intelligence chief James Clapper says North Korea is capable of recovering enough plutonium from a newly restarted reactor which is believed to be sufficient for a nuclear bomb.
- US Senate Expected to Approve North Korea Sanctions VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. Senate is expected to approve tougher sanctions against North Korea as early as Wednesday, just days after Pyongyang launched a long-range rocket capable of carrying a nuclear payload, and weeks after it conducted a nuclear test.
- S. Korea confirms DPRK satellite's successful launch into orbit People's Daily 09 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry said Tuesday that a satellite, launched two days earlier by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), had successfully flied into orbit.
- Seoul Confirms North Korea Successfully Put Satellite Into Orbit Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- North Korea has successfully put into orbit the Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite, the South Korean Defense Ministry confirmed Tuesday.
- S. Korea's Park speaks via phone with Obama, Abe on DPRK sanctions People's Daily 09 Feb 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Tuesday had telephone calls with U.S. President Barack Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe respectively to discuss tougher new sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on its long-range rocket launch.
- Successful Launch of Satellite Hailed in Provinces KCNA 09 Feb 2016 -- Army-people rallies of North Phyongan, South Hwanghae and North Hamgyong Provinces for hailing the successful launch of earth observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4 took place on Tuesday.
- Successful Satellite Launch Encourages People in DPRK KCNA 09 Feb 2016 -- The successful launch of earth observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4 immerses all the people of the DPRK in a great festive mood.
- Iranian Professors Sound Alarm Over 'Mass Disqualifications' In Upcoming Vote RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- About 300 professors at universities across Iran have expressed their 'growing concern' over the 'mass disqualifications' of candidates in February 26 voting for the parliament and the Assembly of Experts, which could choose the country's future supreme leader.
- Iran moving towards building small N. power plants ISNA 09 Feb 2016 -- Iran is moving towards building small nuclear power plants, said Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi.
- Norway Afraid of Russia's Intel Gathering More Than of Any Other State Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- Head of the Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) Benedicte Bjornland claimed Tuesday that Russian intelligence gathering could inflict more harm on Norwegian interests than the activities of any other country.
- EU Debate Initiative Sparks Fears Of Concessions To Russia RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini initiated an internal debate last month with a group of fellow European commissioners on how to improve cooperation with Russia, causing concern among EU members that want to keep up the pressure on Moscow over its interference in Ukraine, sources have told RFE/RL.
- 'Unity and action' needed to counter expanding threat from ISIL, Security Council told UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- Given the ability of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) to adapt quickly to new circumstances and the steady stream of foreign fighters joining the group's ranks, United Nations Member States must mount a strategic response that includes addressing the underlying political and socio-economic causes of conflicts, particularly in Syria and Libya, the top UN political official told the Security Council today.
- U.S. Witness Says He Worked With Pakistanis On Mumbai Attack RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- An American convicted for his role in the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks that killed 166 people told an Indian court that he attended training camps run by alleged masterminds in Pakistan and communicated with intelligence officers in that country.
- Ukraine Minister Says IMF Aid On Hold Until Political Crisis Over RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has put aid to Ukraine on hold until it becomes clear whether the current government survives, the country's finance minister says.
- Haiti: UN agency says weather and drought to blame as food insecurity doubles UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- Haiti's third consecutive year of drought, exacerbated by the global El Niño weather phenomenon, has driven people deeper into poverty and hunger, and doubled the severely food-insecure population, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said today.
- Rocky Year Ahead for Nigeria Amid Oil Price Crash VOA 09 Feb 2016 -- The global fall in the price of oil has rattled the economies of many petroleum producers, and Africa's oil king Nigeria is no exception, with analysts predicting a rough year ahead.
- 'Dismal' human rights situation in Belarus unchanged after election, UN expert warns UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations-appointed monitor of the human rights situation in Belarus warned today that opposition leaders, activists, journalists, and many other citizens have been subjected to harassment, administrative procedures and fines since the country's October presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|