07 February 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 07 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Turbulent Flight? Numerous Flaws of US F-35 Could Result in Failure Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- The fifth-generation F-35 fighter jet has long been a subject of controversy regarding the project's viability. And with the total cost of the aircraft development program at 1.5 trillion dollars, it has enough flaws that could 'fail' the development of the fighter.
- Russian-Made T-90 Tank Goes Through Baptism by Fire in Syria Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- For the first time, the Syrian Army used Russian-made T-90A tanks in combat. Their baptism by fire took place near the city of Aleppo.
- Russian Glonass-M Satellite Reaches Orbit on Soyuz-2.1B Carrier Rocket Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- The Glonass-M navigation satellite, launched from Russia's Plesetsk space center on a Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket, was brought to its target orbit by the Fregat upper stage, the Russian Defense Ministry said Sunday.
- Russia Developing New Global Positioning Spacecraft for Glonass Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Russia is working on new generation spacecraft for the Glonass system, according to the country's deputy prime minister.
- Secretary Kerry's Phone Call With Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se and Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida US Dept. of State 07 Feb 2016
- Condemning DPR Korea's missile launch, Security Council to pursue 'significant measures' in response UN News 07 Feb 2016 -- Following emergency consultations today, the United Nations Security Council strongly condemned the missile launched by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), and announced that it will "expeditiously" adopt a new resolution in response to "these dangerous and serious violations."
- UN chief calls on DPR Korea to halt 'provocative actions' following missile launch UN News 07 Feb 2016 -- Following a missile launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is calling on the country's Government "to halt its provocative actions and return to compliance with its international obligations."
- UN Security Council Strongly Condemns North Korea Rocket Launch VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- The U.N. Security Council has strongly condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket on Sunday.
- Global Community Outraged by North Korean Rocket Launch VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- Global reaction to North Korea's announcement of launching a long-range rocket has been swift and created universal international outrage.
- Rocket Launch Boosts Push for New US Sanctions on North Korea VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- International condemnation of North Korea's rocket launch extended to Washington, where the Obama administration and U.S. lawmakers expressed renewed resolve to counter Pyongyang's nuclear program and military ambitions.
- N. Korea's 'Space Mission' Seen as Missile Development VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- North Korea's latest long-range rocket launch is raising concerns in the United States and its allies that the communist country is moving forward with its ballistic missile program.
- South Korea: Pyongyang Rocket Launch Requires Quick UN Action VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket Sunday, carrying what it said is a satellite in defiance of U.N. sanctions barring it from using ballistic-missile technology, has led to calls for quick action against Pyongyang.
- NATO Secretary General condemns North Korea's rocket launch NATO 07 Feb 2016 -- I strongly condemn the launch by North Korea of a rocket using ballistic missile technology today, which follows the North Korean nuclear weapons test on January 6.
- UN Security Council condemns N Korea rocket launch Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has strongly condemned North Korea for its latest launch of a long-range rocket.
- EU denounces North Korea rocket launch Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- The European Union (EU) has lashed out at North Korea for its latest launch of a long-range rocket.
- UN chief slams North Korea for 'provocative' rocket launch Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon has denounced as "deeply deplorable" North Korea's new long-range rocket launch, which Pyongyang says was aimed at putting an observation satellite into orbit.
- US condemns 'provocative' North Korea rocket launch Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- The United States has condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket, calling it a 'destabilizing and provocative' move.
- UN Sec. Council Pledges 'Significant' Sanctions After North Korean Rocket Launch RFE/RL 07 Feb 2016 -- The UN Security Council has strongly condemned North Korea's rocket launch and said it would adopt a new resolution with 'significant' new sanctions.
- UNSC Sanctions Against North Korea Should Not Cause Economic Collapse Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- New UN Security Council sanctions against Pyongyang should not trigger a humanitarian and economic collapse in the country, Russia's Envoy to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin said Sunday.
- UNSC to Unite Around 'Swift Response' to N Korea's Rocket Launch - US Envoy Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council is looking forward to a joint effort of its members in response to repeated violations of UN resolutions by North Korea, the US ambassador to the United Nations said Sunday.
- UN Security Council Condemns North Korea's Satellite Launch - President Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- The UNSC has condemned North Korea's long-range rocket and satellite launch.
- Current UN Sanctions Cannot Stop N Korea's Nuclear Development - Beijing Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Existing UN sanctions imposed on North Korea over its nuclear activities are unable to stop Pyongyang from developing nuclear weapons, Chinese Permanent Representative to the UN Liu Jieyi said Sunday.
- North Korea Capable of Testing Submarine-Launched Missiles at 'Any Time' Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- According to South Korea's military chiefs it is impossible to predict Pyongyang's actions Seoul expects North Korea to commit provocations 'at any time'.
- Meteorological Experts Rejoice over Successful Satellite Launch KCNA 07 Feb 2016 -- Scientists and researchers of the State Hydro-meteorological Administration are delighted at the news about the successful launch of earth observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4.
- Pyongyangites Hail Successful Satellite Launch KCNA 07 Feb 2016 -- The successful launch of earth observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4 drives Pyongyangites into great ecstasy.
- DPRK National Aerospace Development Administration Releases Report on Satellite Launch KCNA 07 Feb 2016 -- The DPRK National Aerospace Development Administration on Sunday issued a report on the successful launch of earth observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4.
- DPRK launches long-range rocket People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Sunday launched a long-range rocket as planned, Yonhap news agency reported citing South Korea's defense authorities.
- DPRK launches satellite amid fears of escalating tensions on Korean Peninsula People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) launches a long-range rocket Sunday morning, according to a report by South Korean news agency Yonhap.
- DPRK announces successful launch of Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Sunday successfully launched a Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite, the Korean Central Television (KCTV) reported.
- China regrets DPRK's satellite launch People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- China expressed regrets after the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) launched an earth-observation satellite Sunday morning, calling for calmness to avoid further escalation of tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- DPRK's rocket launch unacceptable, says Abe, gov't to lodge strong protest People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abeon Sunday rapped a long-range rocket launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), saying the launch is 'unacceptable' and violated relevant UN resolution.
- S.Korean president denounces DPRK's rocket launch People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Sunday denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s rocket launch, describing it as an unacceptable provocative act, her office said.
- S.Korea sees DPRK rocket's successful launch into space People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korean's military has seen a rocket launched by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) successfully entering into space, regarding it as a similar intercontinental ballistic missile to the Unha-3 rocket test-fired in late 2012.
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: Reports Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- North Korea has launched a long-range rocket despite warnings by a number of neighbors and world powers.
- North Korea Rocket Launch Raises Nuclear Concerns RFE/RL 07 Feb 2016 -- North Korea launched a long-range rocket into space early on February 7, raising nuclear concerns in neighboring countries and in Washington.
- UN Chief Condemns N. Korea Rocket Launch as 'Deplorable' Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned North Korea's long-range rocket launch and called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on Sunday.
- Seoul, Washington to start talks on US missile deployment Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korean and US military officials are set to begin formal negotiations on the possible deployment of an American missile system to the Korean Peninsula to deal with what they call threats from the North.
- Seoul Warns Russia, China of Missile Defense Deployment Talks With US Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Seoul has let Moscow and Beijing know in advance of the decision to start official negotiations with Washington on the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system on the South Korean territory, the government said in a statement on Sunday.
- South Korea, US to Discuss Deploying Missile Defense System VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korea and the U.S. will formally discuss deploying a missile-defense system known as THAAD, after North Korea claimed to have launched a satellite into space.
- In Demand: Why China Purchases Russian Su-35 Fighter Jets Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- China's purchase of 24 new Russian Su-35 aircraft is essential for Beijing. The Chinese Air Force will not only get new jets that could affect the balance of power in the Taiwan Strait, but may also allow the Chinese military to assess the progress and development of J-11.
- Four Yemenis killed in Saudi airstrikes on Sa'ada Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia's military campaign in Yemen continues incessantly with at least four civilians killed in the latest act of aggression in the northern province of Sa'ada.
- Two Saudi soldiers killed in Yemeni forces attacks Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- At least two Saudi soldiers have reportedly been killed in separate retaliatory attacks by Yemeni forces against the kingdom's southwestern border regions of Najran and Asir.
- Turkey to open border to Syrians 'if necessary': Erdogan Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced the country's readiness to let in tens of thousands of Syrian refugees who have massed along its border "if necessary."
- Syrian army seizes Ta'ana town in Aleppo province IRNA 07 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian army takes back another key town following fierce clashes with foreign-backed terrorists.
- Syrian army tightens noose on militant-held town in Aleppo Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian army and its allied forces are pushing ahead with a major offensive against a militant-held town in the northern province of Aleppo near the Turkish border.
- Kurdish forces retake northern Syrian village from Takfiris Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Kurdish fighters have managed to retake a village in Syria's northern province of Aleppo from Takfiri militants as they continue to push the terrorists back from the area.
- Over 300 al-Nusra terrorists killed in clashes with Syrian forces Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Syrian government troops have killed over 300 members of the al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front group during clashes in the northwestern Aleppo province.
- Al-Nusra Front Confirms Deaths of 300 Terrorists in Syria's Aleppo Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- More than 300 members of the al-Nusra Front terrorist group were killed in clashes near the Syrian city of Retyan in the Aleppo province.
- Syrian Air Force Pounds Daesh's Main Oil Supply Route to Turkey Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Syrian Air Force jets pulverized Daesh positions in the eastern part of Aleppo province on Saturday, causing serious damage to the main road used by the militants to send oil tankers into neighboring Turkey.
- Moderate Syrian Rebel Factions Face Wipe-Out VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- The sweeping Russian-backed offensive in northern Syria by President Bashar al-Assad's military and foreign fighters from Iran, Lebanon and Afghanistan is triggering a humanitarian crisis by propelling thousands of civilians to flee to the Turkish border, say political activists and rebel commanders.
- NATO to blame for tension in Syria: Russia Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Following allegations by NATO that Moscow is hindering peace efforts in Syria, Russia's Defense Ministry has struck back, saying the US-led military alliance is to blame for growing tensions in the war-torn country.
- Russian MoD Strikes Back at NATO's Accusations of Fueling Tensions in Syria Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has blamed NATO countries for plunging Syria and the Entire Middle East into chaos.
- UAE says ready to send troops to Syria under US leadership Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- A senior official in the United Arab Emirates says the Persian Gulf state is ready to send troops to Syria to join a US-led campaign allegedly fighting Takfiri Daesh group.
- In Saudi Arabia's Footsteps: UAE Poised to Send Ground Troops to Syria Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- The United Arab Emirates said on Sunday it was ready to commit ground troops to Syria to take on Daesh terrorists as part of a US-led coalition.
- Iran General: Saudi Arabia Should Stay Out of Syria Fight Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia's call to send its ground troops to aid the coalition against Daesh - also known as ISIS - in Syria has received ridicule from the commander of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard.
- Saudi troops deployment in Syria political joke: Iranian commander Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says Saudi Arabia's plan for the deployment of ground troops to Syria sounds more like a "political joke."
- Daesh Takfiris execute 300 in Iraq's Mosul Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Daesh Takfiris have executed 300 people in Iraq's embattled northern province of Nineveh.
- Senior Daesh commander killed in northern Iraq Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- A top commander of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has been killed in an airstrike in the northern Iraqi province of Nineveh.
- Egypt forces kill 10 terrorists in N Sinai, wound dozen others Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- Egyptian armed forces have killed ten militants and wounded at least 13 others in a fresh attack on their hideouts in the troubled North Sinai province.
- Post-Sanctions Iran set to buy 2 telcom satellites: Minister ISNA 07 Feb 2016 -- Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mahmoud Vaezi said that following removal of sanctions, Iran has been in serious negotiations with foreign firms in the last three weeks.
- Six-Party Talks With North Korea Unlikely to Resume in Near Future Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Resuming the talks on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, with the participation of the DPRK, Russia, South Korea, the United States, China and Japan is unlikely at the moment, Russia's Envoy to UN Vitaly Churkin said Sunday.
- China to continue prudent monetary policy: central bank People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- The People's Bank of China (PBOC), the central bank, said Saturday it will continue its prudent monetary policy while striking a balance between tight and loose.
- Poland's Controversial Law Expanding Surveillance Powers Comes Into Force Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Poland's controversial new law expanding government surveillance powers comes into force on Sunday after being signed by Polish President Andrzej Duda earlier this week.
- Haiti: Ban welcomes agreement reached towards 'swift' conclusion of ongoing electoral cycle UN News 07 Feb 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the agreement reached by Haitian stakeholders, noting that it provides for immediate arrangements to preserve the institutional continuity of the country as well as a roadmap for the swift conclusion of the ongoing electoral cycle.
- Haiti's President Leaves Office Without a Successor VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- Embattled Haitian President Michel Martelly left office Sunday as required by Haiti's constitution, ending his 5-year term with no one elected to replace him.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|